Options

PJ20 - Of the Girl Instrumental

iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,522
edited September 2011 in The Porch
Really like listening to this instrumental right now. I'm guessing this must have been recorded during some studio sessions or practice or something? Sorry, haven't seen the movie so was speculating.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,204
    yeah I liked it a lot too, it's always been one of my favorite pearl jam songs musically so it's cool to hear all the little instrumental things you can't hear when Ed's singing
  • Options
    Really like listening to this instrumental right now. I'm guessing this must have been recorded during some studio sessions or practice or something? Sorry, haven't seen the movie so was speculating.

I don't believe it's a different session or practice, I think it's the exact same track that's on Binaural, just without the vocals.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,204

I don't believe it's a different session or practice, I think it's the exact same track that's on Binaural, just without the vocals.

yeah thats what i thought
  • Options
    RiotZact wrote:

At first I was thinking that it was kind of a waste of a track, since it is just a track we already have with the vocals removed, but I read in the liner notes that it was used to score a part(s) of the film, and I guess it makes sense as an addition that way. I mean, it was kind of cool to hear, but it's not a track I'll be revisiting often, I like Ed's vocals on that song a lot.
  • Options
    RiotZact wrote:

At first I was thinking that it was kind of a waste of a track, since it is just a track we already have with the vocals removed, but I read in the liner notes that it was used to score a part(s) of the film, and I guess it makes sense as an addition that way. I mean, it was kind of cool to hear, but it's not a track I'll be revisiting often, I like Ed's vocals on that song a lot.
    I agree 100%. Wont be revisiting this one either. For me, I never really listen to instrumentals anyway. My 2 favorite tracks off the soundtrack are Acoustic #1 & Blood (live)
    Pearl Jam Shows: 1998 - 9/11 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 9/13 Hartford, CT || 2000 - 8/24 Wantagh, NY (Jones Beach 2); 8/27 Saratoga Springs; 8/29 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 8/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2) || 2003 - 4/29 Albany, NY; 5/3 State College, PA; 7/2 Mansfield (night 1); 7/6 Camden, NJ (night 2); 7/8 New York, NY (MSG night 1) || 2004 - 9/28 Boston, MA (night 1); 9/29 Boston, MA (night 2) || 2005 - 10/3 Philadelphia, PA || 2006 - 5/12 Albany, NY; 5/13 Hartford, CT; 5/24 Boston, MA (night 1); 5/25 Boston, MA (night 2); 5/27 Camden, NJ (night 1); 5/28 Camden, NJ (night 2)|| 2008 - 6/19 Camden, NJ (night 1); 6/24 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 6/25 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 6/27 Hartford, CT; 6/28 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 6/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2); 7/1 New York, NY (Beacon Theater)|| 2009 - 9/21 Seattle, WA (night 1); 9/22 Seattle, WA (night 2); 10/27 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 1); 10/28 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 2); 10/30 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 3); 10/31 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 4)|| 2010 - 5/15 Hartford, CT; 5/17 Boston, MA; 5/20 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 5/21 New York, NY (MSG night 2)|| 2011 - 9/3 East Troy, WI (PJ20); 9/4 East Troy, WI (PJ20) || 2012 - 9/2 Philadelphia, PA, 9/30 Missoula, MT || 2013 - 7/19 Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), 10/12 Buffalo, NY, 10/15 Worcester, MA (night 1), 10/16 Worcester, MA (night 2), 10/18 Brooklyn, NY (night 1), 10/19 Brooklyn, NY (night 2), 10/25 Hartford, CT || 2014 - 10/22 Denver, CO || 2015 -  9/26 New York, NY (Global Citizen Festival) || 2016 - 5/1 New York, NY (night 1), 5/2 New York, NY (night 2), 8/5 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1), 8/7 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 2) || 2018 - 9/2 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1) || 2020 - 3/30 New York, NY
    Eddie Vedder solo: 2008 - Boston night 1 & 2 || 2009 - Albany, NY night 1 & 2 || 2011 - Hartford, CT, Boston, MA

• Options
    I agree 100%. Wont be revisiting this one either. For me, I never really listen to instrumentals anyway. My 2 favorite tracks off the soundtrack are Acoustic #1 & Blood (live)

Well, if it were a new instrumental I might go back to it. I don't have a problem with instrumentals in general, but just taking a track that I've been listening to for 11 years, removing the (beautiful) vocal track and presenting it as an instrumental is something I'm not really interested in. They did something similar on Beatles: Anthology 2. One of the tracks was Eleanor Rigby, just the orchestra and no vocals, which I considered to be kind of a throwaway track.

But like I said, it makes sense to put it on the soundtrack since they used it to score PJ20, so I'm not complaining, it's just not something I'll be listening to all that often. Now "Of The Girl" on Binaural, or one of the various live versions from over the years, I'll listen to that all day. My favorite tracks so far is "Nothing As It Seems" from Key Arena '01, and Mike's acoustic performance of "Given To Fly". Which is instrumental I know, but it's a new performance, not just a album track with the vocals removed.
  • Options
    Didn't realize its the same as the binaural version. I usually listen to boots of the song, particularly the Benaroya Hall version. Guess it helped make me focus more on hearing the guitar work with no vocals. I personally still like it though regardless.
  • Options
    RiotZact wrote:

I agree with you here. It's cool to hear the instrumental track. And, I'm curious as to how it'll play in the film. But, it's not my favorite track on the album.

The acoustic instrumental Given To Fly is really good, though. Plus, I can sing GTF in the car without that pesky Vedder guy stealing my thunder.
  • Options
    RiotZact wrote:

I agree with you here. It's cool to hear the instrumental track. And, I'm curious as to how it'll play in the film. But, it's not my favorite track on the album.

The acoustic instrumental Given To Fly is really good, though. Plus, I can sing GTF in the car without that pesky Vedder guy stealing my thunder.

:lol: Me too - Glad I got windscreen insurance!
  • Options
    Didn't realize its the same as the binaural version. I usually listen to boots of the song, particularly the Benaroya Hall version. Guess it helped make me focus more on hearing the guitar work with no vocals. I personally still like it though regardless.
    I LOVE the Benny Hall version too. Amazing. That whole Benny Hall show is amazing actually.
    Pearl Jam Shows: 1998 - 9/11 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 9/13 Hartford, CT || 2000 - 8/24 Wantagh, NY (Jones Beach 2); 8/27 Saratoga Springs; 8/29 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 8/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2) || 2003 - 4/29 Albany, NY; 5/3 State College, PA; 7/2 Mansfield (night 1); 7/6 Camden, NJ (night 2); 7/8 New York, NY (MSG night 1) || 2004 - 9/28 Boston, MA (night 1); 9/29 Boston, MA (night 2) || 2005 - 10/3 Philadelphia, PA || 2006 - 5/12 Albany, NY; 5/13 Hartford, CT; 5/24 Boston, MA (night 1); 5/25 Boston, MA (night 2); 5/27 Camden, NJ (night 1); 5/28 Camden, NJ (night 2)|| 2008 - 6/19 Camden, NJ (night 1); 6/24 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 6/25 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 6/27 Hartford, CT; 6/28 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 6/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2); 7/1 New York, NY (Beacon Theater)|| 2009 - 9/21 Seattle, WA (night 1); 9/22 Seattle, WA (night 2); 10/27 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 1); 10/28 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 2); 10/30 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 3); 10/31 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 4)|| 2010 - 5/15 Hartford, CT; 5/17 Boston, MA; 5/20 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 5/21 New York, NY (MSG night 2)|| 2011 - 9/3 East Troy, WI (PJ20); 9/4 East Troy, WI (PJ20) || 2012 - 9/2 Philadelphia, PA, 9/30 Missoula, MT || 2013 - 7/19 Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), 10/12 Buffalo, NY, 10/15 Worcester, MA (night 1), 10/16 Worcester, MA (night 2), 10/18 Brooklyn, NY (night 1), 10/19 Brooklyn, NY (night 2), 10/25 Hartford, CT || 2014 - 10/22 Denver, CO || 2015 -  9/26 New York, NY (Global Citizen Festival) || 2016 - 5/1 New York, NY (night 1), 5/2 New York, NY (night 2), 8/5 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1), 8/7 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 2) || 2018 - 9/2 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1) || 2020 - 3/30 New York, NY
    Eddie Vedder solo: 2008 - Boston night 1 & 2 || 2009 - Albany, NY night 1 & 2 || 2011 - Hartford, CT, Boston, MA

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,883
    I LOVE the Benny Hall version too. Amazing. That whole Benny Hall show is amazing actually.

100% agree. The Benaroya Hall version is fantastic. That is one of my all-time favorite shows to listen to. Loved hearing it live in Toronto 2009 but nothing compares to the opening of Benaroya Hall!

"...I changed by not changing at all..."