Sorry.. but I need to vent about this.

ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
edited September 2011 in The Porch
Greetings All.

(please forgive the foul language that may come from this)

So I'm at the Toronto shows both 1 and 2. I was present in the galleria of the ACC for the 10C tix plus early bird merch.

Present in line at the merch stand right at the beginning was this cocksucking dooshbag Caucasian male with black framed glasses and a NY Yankees hat who purchased 6 posters and 6 Blue Jays themed t-shirts.

Once purchased, he handed his credit card to some curly-haired chick to go back in line.. and of course, this girl purchased 5 posters and 5 Blue Jays themes shirts.

Now I had to ask... so I asked the girl "excuse me, but are you with or do you know that guy over there with the Yankees hat." She of course denied any knowledge of this person. Once she got her scoop, she gave it to the Yankees guy and they fled the area like the crooks that they are.

Day 2... EXACT same scenario.... EXACT same people.

My beef here is simple. I understand that this is no crime. It's a free market. People have the right to do this. But there is something just foul about the morality here. I despise these people. People who feed off of others like vultures. GIVE PEOPLE A FAIR CHANCE to purchase items they want at a fair price.

Now these fuckers are low scum in my opinion, but I have to wonder why nothing is being done about this? Not so much in the after, but before. I get that the merch people are only there to sell items, but would it be SO DIFFICULT to put LIMITS on items. 2 per person. 1 per person. I mean come on.

And how about going to back to pre-ordering posters and also why not t-shirts. The PJ camp must know that people want the posters and want the sports-themed shirts that you can only get at the show.

Me being one of those people, it pisses me off to see this system abused... and it also blows when you have to wait an hour to get these items only to see some cockstains making money off of it.. preying on the fans.

Fin.
Toronto 2000
Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
Boston I&II 2004
Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
Toronto I&II 2011
Buffalo 2013
Toronto I&II 2016
10C: 220xxx
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• myramyra Posts: 1,257
    Yeah, this is not right.

I already didn't understand why there wasn't a limited amount of posters you could get at A.V., I felt so bad for those who waited 2 (?) hours in line as we did and didn't get their Night 2 poster because it was sold out literally 2 people after us. A limited amount of posters per person may not have enabled everyone in line to get one but, at least, it would have given most of us a fair chance to get one.
  • Fortunately, the poster from Night 2 doesn't look like it's going to be all that popular. They might have a hard time unloading them all. Other than that, I agree with everything you've said.
  • Big fuck up. Why not just limit them to 1 (1) per person? This must have been a huge mistake.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • You new here?
    Get over it. The band likes to sell merch and understands the secondary market (flippers) help create a bigger market.

Your apology for venting is accepted.
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    if i had the money i would have bought 20 posters at pj20. i'm freaking broke and they sell for min 100.
    this is a market created by pj nerds overpaying. just the way it is.

i've never flipped anyways..i guess i'm venting because i would never do it and wish i would. it does seem mean.
  • You new here?
    Get over it. The band likes to sell merch and understands the secondary market (flippers) help create a bigger market.

:roll:
    The Scary Monster
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    it's wrong, but it happens at every PJ show.

could the band/management do something to help the situation? Yes, probably.

but the fans need to stop putting such a huge focus on merch and posters. over the years, this "stuff" has turned into something that can actually take away from people's show experience. I didnt get the Cubs shirt at the Chicago shows in 2009, but it doesnt take away from the amazing shows.

realize that it's just "stuff" and the show is the real experience.

if that doesn't help, then realize that karma is a bitch, and those vultures will get theirs.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    i understand,always the same problem..the question is this..was a problem at toronto with merch?
    i mean 10 minutes before pj be on stage,there was plenty of posters and shirts available..was more than 10 merch table out there..all bought what they want..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • don't sweat the small stuff...and believe me...it's all small stuff...
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    ....off to check my ebay auctions....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,292
    Three potential ways to solve this problem:

1. Poster pre-sales
    2. Make more posters and shirts
    3. Limit the number per person to 2 or 3
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    81 wrote:
    ....off to check my ebay auctions....

:lol::lol::lol:
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,012
    Most criminals choose to wear Yankees hats when committing crime

No BS..... It was a story here in ny

What that piece of knowledge has to do with this thread, not much :)

Signed a Yankee fan
  • Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 1,977
    PJ-Cubs wrote:

1. Poster pre-sales

4. Don't put merch stands outside the venue
  • Gotta love the open market :P I agree that PJ wants to sell merch to whomever wishes to purchase & they should. That's just America. I also agree that overzealous fans have contributed to the problem.

It would be impossible to limit merch purchases at 5 different booths and 40,000 people in attendance like at A.V. Or anywhere. How would anyone keep track :P First come, first serve...just like most anything.

But I would never wait 2 hours to get a poster. As badly as I want one at every show, I gotta draw the line somewhere.

However, in the case of PJ20 being a two-day event, I thought they would half the merch for people who maybe didn't attend day one & would still have stuff available day two.

Not so, unfortunately. Two merch booths didn't even exist anymore on day two. So if you didn't get what you wanted the first day, it was slim choices left. But I'd figured that out after my first PJ show or two, so I always buy as soon as I get to the venue. I got what I wanted at A.V....a hoodie and a poster :)
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    People can and will do what they want, but as long as PJ makes limited merch for specific shows (mostly the poster and sometimes the city-specific shirt), just keep those limited items inside the venue and limit to 1 or 2 per person.

It would keep them there longer and would give more people a chance. Hell - maybe even remove the limit at a certain time... then the flippers can buy em up once they've been out for a while.

Doors open @ 6:30... say @ 8:30 the limits get removed. No one can complain if they wait THAT long, right? :)
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,012
    They should put a time limit and sell goods like these in the goods section

For example

We have "Toronto Blue Jays " shirts

U have 2 days(or whatever) to place an order, with your size........ After set time, sorry no more

Then tally how many of each size you need and make them

Band makes money
    Fans are happy

Simple, no???
  • Hawk123 wrote:
    PJ-Cubs wrote:

1. Poster pre-sales

4. Don't put merch stands outside the venue

No. 4 really pissed me off at the 2 MSG shows in 2008. Huge lines for posters, but the poster stand was outside MSG. 1st time in 50-something shows I didn't even bother. I still don't have those 2 posters, either.
    My Pearl Jam shows: 1 in 1995, 2 in 1998, 20 in 2003, 13 in 2006, 3 in 2007, 8 in 2008, 5 in 2009, 4 in 2010, 5 in 2012. EV: 8 in 2011, 1 in 2012. Brad: 1 in 1998, 1 in 2002.
  • RFTCRFTC Posts: 723
    You new here?

i apologize to OP on behalf of this simpleton.
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
  • drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    I agree with pretty much everything you've said, but I do have one problem with your post:

It's "douche bag", not "dooshbag".
    :D
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • emf28emf28 Posts: 89
    Make a million posters so that nobody will want them.
  • hell_man_madehell_man_made Toronto Posts: 318
    Thank you for posting this and reporting it because shit like this needs addressed. the band/ten club needs to know about it

hopefully in the future there will be a limit of one shirt/poster per person

please ten club, do this so these fuckers can't

EDIT: and also, anyone who buys overpriced merch on ebay is supporting them
    Vancouver 1998, Seattle 2000, Seattle 2002, Vancouver 2003, Vancouver 2005, The Gorge 2006, Seattle 2 2009, Vancouver 2009, Ridgefield/Portland 2009, PJ20, Saskatoon 2011, Vancouver 2011, Buffalo 2013, Detroit 2014, Chicago/Wrigley August 2016

Ed: Seattle 1 & 2 2011, Bridge School 2011
    You new here?

they're fucking scalpers....and we all know how the band feels about that.

they're on this board, in this club

yeah, we could get over it, but if someone who really wants a fucking poster (just ONE), who is a true ten clubber and gets shut out, i'd be pretty fuckin pissed off if i saw some fucker buying 10 to flip

i highly doubt the band supports a bigger secondary market dude... :twisted: :evil:
    Vancouver 1998, Seattle 2000, Seattle 2002, Vancouver 2003, Vancouver 2005, The Gorge 2006, Seattle 2 2009, Vancouver 2009, Ridgefield/Portland 2009, PJ20, Saskatoon 2011, Vancouver 2011, Buffalo 2013, Detroit 2014, Chicago/Wrigley August 2016

• I can understand being upset about flipping, but if you REALLY wanted this stuff you'd get there early.

All these people whining about the posters at Pj20 are strange to me. They still had posters on Saturday at 3ish. On Sunday I valued a S/N Klausen over tailgating, so I got my ass there at 11:00 and I got one.

In Toronto the merch table was set up at 4, and you could still buy the posters and shirts after Mudhoney. That gives you roughly 4 1/2 hours make a purchase. If you can't swing that then it's kinda your fault. And they were still selling posters after the shows in Ottawa and Hamilton.

The deal with venue specific merch is that they HAVE to sell it all that day. No one in Winnipeg tonight wants Thursday's Hamilton poster. That's why they don't make a ton of them and they'll never stop people from buying 5 of them. They'd rather sell them all then be left with a box of ugly Toronto 2 posters.
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    I agree with pretty much everything you've said, but I do have one problem with your post:

It's "douche bag", not "dooshbag".
    :D

I always get someone who says this :) and you're correct, but I'll always put it as "dooshbag" just looks funnier.
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    edited September 2011
    :arrow:
    Post edited by Parksy on
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    There's a lot of solutions and everything.. what is frustrating to me is just the people who do this.

Imagine someone waiting in a line with 100 people for an item limited to 90 and the last person buys the final ten, turns around and sells off those items to the last 10 people in line for 4-5x it's face value.

If you tell me that the guy selling the items is smart, then you're a dick. Because what you're not understanding is that yes, he is making profit.

But he's making that profit by taking advantage of other people. Which is a dick move.

Critisize the people for wanting the item... fine. But when you take the two types of people and compare them, which is worse?

The fan who seriously wants to own a shirt or poster... to keep and collect for themselves.

Or the guy who takes advantage of those people for profit?

It's fucking brutal. I once saw a story on the news.. not sure where it was. But people were on a highway when a motor vehicle collision occurred and traffic was jammed for hours in unbearable heat.

Someone starting selling these people bottles of water for like $10.00 a pop.

Simply because the opportunity is there, doesn't make it morally right to take it. For those who want to live like that, so be it, but if you do, you're a fucking assclown.

And for people like Dimi and everyone else on this board who are fair and kind and generous.. kudos... that's how human beings should act.
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    Parksy wrote:
    There's a lot of solutions and everything.. what is frustrating to me is just the people who do this.

Imagine someone waiting in a line with 100 people for an item limited to 90 and the last person buys the final ten, turns around and sells off those items to the last 10 people in line for 4-5x it's face value.

If you tell me that the guy selling the items is smart, then you're a dick. Because what you're not understanding is that yes, he is making profit.

But he's making that profit by taking advantage of other people. Which is a dick move.

Critisize the people for wanting the item... fine. But when you take the two types of people and compare them, which is worse?

The fan who seriously wants to own a shirt or poster... to keep and collect for themselves.

Or the guy who takes advantage of those people for profit?

It's fucking brutal. I once saw a story on the news.. not sure where it was. But people were on a highway when a motor vehicle collision occurred and traffic was jammed for hours in unbearable heat.

Someone starting selling these people bottles of water for like $10.00 a pop.

Simply because the opportunity is there, doesn't make it morally right to take it. For those who want to live like that, so be it, but if you do, you're a fucking assclown.

And for people like Dimi and everyone else on this board who are fair and kind and generous.. kudos... that's how human beings should act.

:thumbup:

You rock!
    Are you married? probably... ;):lol:
    We need more peeps like you around... :D

• I don't really get why anyone would do this since it doesn't even seem like a really profitable endevor anymore. I mean tenclub still has posters for sale from shows as far back as 2008 in the goods section. And looking at the current prices of some of the posters I own on expresso beans, unless you have stuff from the 98 tour or earlier there doesn't seem to be big money in posters. I mean my 05 ottawa in the last 6 months sold for an average of $12 more than the original purchase price 6 years ago. Sure the older posters sell for a ton, but that is because no one new they would be collectable. Now everyone does so more people who want one make a point to buy one and save it. So trying to make big profit is a huge crapshoot. I mean sure you might buy 10 posters at a show, but unless the design ends up being super hot, you might only make 10-15 bucks per poster. And if you do get that much it barely covers your ticket price for 2 tickets to get in the door. On the other hand there might be minimal demand and a bunch for sale in the goods section and you might end up barely making anything or losing money.