Would you rather.....

stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
edited May 2011 in The Porch
Go to a 3 hour PJ show where they only play the hits and maybe one or two rare/non-single album songs, or would you rather go to a sub-2 hour show where they played maybe like 5 hits and all other rare songs, and non-single album songs?...so basically...quality or quantity??

I would choose quality. Less can definitely be more sometimes.
Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,924
    I'll take the 5 hour show option!
    Nature drunk and High
  • Citizen ZackCitizen Zack Posts: 1,763
    i'd take anything at this point

but to truly answer your question - i'd opt for a shorter show with more rarities to try and cross some more sogns off my live 'wishlist'
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

No time to be void, or save up on life, you've got to spend it all
  • gypsygurrlgypsygurrl Posts: 3
    A two hour show of rarities... at a tiny venue... with a front row seat and a cup of tea please.
  • washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    as long as the show is rockin i'm set :mrgreen:
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,365
    I like all their songs, so either would be good. I have no problem hearing Corduroy or Even Flow again.

In fact...Corduroy has been played less frequently... :(

Anyway, I would probably choose the shorter show, with the rare songs....but if you go to a concert that is pre-determined to be a "rare song concert", it sorta ruins the surprise.

I like hearing some hits, then BLAM, "Hard to Imagine".
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    I like all their songs, so either would be good. I have no problem hearing Corduroy or Even Flow again.

In fact...Corduroy has been played less frequently... :(

Anyway, I would probably choose the shorter show, with the rare songs....but if you go to a concert that is pre-determined to be a "rare song concert", it sorta ruins the surprise.

I like hearing some hits, then BLAM, "Hard to Imagine".
    QFT!!!!!
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    I'd take the 3 hr set...I think that any 3 hr set would include enough deep tracks to keep me happy.

Besides I'm one of those weiros that still loves seeing them play their hits live.

The opening of Lollapalooza in '07 (Why Go/Corduroy) is probably my favorite moment from any of the shows I've been to.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,141
    I'd rather be ....mmmm

this...

unledzv.png
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    I would take the 3 hour set and bring my wife and kids. They have plenty of shows with deep setlists, but for one night, to know that you are getting all the hits...

That is almost a rarity in itself... Pearl Jam playing just their hits for 3 hours... Except Even Flow...
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    this is not a question of quality vs quantity...

that's YOUR opinion

but I'll answer your q

i'll take the longer show with the songs people know

rarity shows lose energy quickly

82% of the audience is either taking a piss break, talking to their bud, or standing there wondering what song they're playing while the Nerd Herd (ie 18%) is tweaking their nipples because the song hasn't been played in 2,243 days and never as a 2nd set opener

they played bugs in philly... did you happen to catch that trainwreck?? ;)

i would have rathered even flow
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,365

that's YOUR opinion

but I'll answer your q

82% of the audience is either taking a piss break, talking to their bud, or standing there wondering what song they're playing while the Nerd Herd (ie 18%) is tweaking their nipples because the song hasn't been played in 2,243 days and never as a 2nd set opener

Ha, i would agree with you....although ed finally pulled off bugs ok.

But I woulndt want an Alpine crowd to hear the rarities. I would prefer like a Vic show with a bunch of rare stuff. I think Benaroya Hall was somewhat like this.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,213
    Less can definitely be more sometimes.
    There's those thinking more or less, less is more
    But if less is more how you're keeping score?
    ;)
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276

that's YOUR opinion

but I'll answer your q

not sure i would call Bugs a trainwreck. now, had he not finished it, it would have been. that was fuckin awesome
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • KatyzKatyz Posts: 838
    As I have yet to go to a live PJ concert :o:o I would take the 3 hour hits...because so many of them are more than just hits, they are classic songs. Also don't want to be the idiot not knowing a song :oops: I'm still trying to hear them all as it is. One day...I shall see them play :D
  • Mikee JMikee J Posts: 1,323
    i'd take anything at this point'
    "My body's nobody's body but mine"
  • Put my vote in for quality!! As most of us are thinking I would take anything. Love listening to PJ radio at desk all day. Get some get gems to brighten your day. Today Mookie style: think it was called “Walking Wall”. Never heard it b4 today!!
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets, oh
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself, oh
    Makes much more sense, to live in the present tense!!
  • Go to a 3 hour PJ show where they only play the hits and maybe one or two rare/non-single album songs, or would you rather go to a sub-2 hour show where they played maybe like 5 hits and all other rare songs, and non-single album songs?...so basically...quality or quantity??

I would choose quality. Less can definitely be more sometimes.

Both Pearl Jam shows I've seen have been a mixture, so I'd say I'd be interested in seeing both because they'd be new to me. Most bands regularly do setlists that are only the hits, but if Pearl Jam did it for a few shows it would actually be something special. I'd also kill to see a 2 hour show of random rarities, or just Binaural and No Code played in full.