Pearl Jam fan lands dream interview with idol

MoonTurtleMoonTurtle Posts: 750
edited April 2011 in The Porch
Apr 15 2011 by Lorraine Howard, Irvine Herald

IRVINE music fan Matthew McGowan was given what he described as “a gift of a lifetime” after being invited to interview the lead guitarist of his favourite band on American radio.

Matthew, who has followed Pearl Jam for 20 years, interviewed band member Mike McCready on Wednesday night.

His fellow fan in Singapore, Kristian Elliot had won an auction to interview the guitarist.

But on the date he was due to do the interview, he was boarding a plane back home to Australia for a friend’s wedding.

So, he phoned Matthew, whom he had met while following the band around Europe, to see if he would take his place.

And the devoted fan, of Sillars Meadow, Irvine, joined in an hour-long slot on Pearl Jam Radio’s drive-time show on Wednesday night.

“I just couldn’t believe it,” said Matthew.

“It was really nice of Kristian to hand over his prize as I never thought I would have the chance to ask Mike questions on a one-to-one basis.

“I’m not sure how I came across but Mike was great, he even told me the band had plans for a festival to celebrate their 20th anniversary in the States later this year so fingers crossed I’ll make that.”

http://www.irvineherald.co.uk/ayrshire- ... -28513368/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments