Options

Anyone here read "This All Encompassing Trip"?

StickmanJamStickmanJam Posts: 425
edited February 2011 in The Porch
Was just reading about this book on Amazon and it sounds very interesting. Has anyone given this a read yet? And if so...how was it?
MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ottonypottonyp Posts: 226
    I just got it in the mail three days ago...haven't started reading it...but I have heard nothing but great reviews of it...even from non PJ fans...
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    I'm about 3/4 of the way into it...Great Read!!
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    absolutely awesome. Jasons a good guy and it reads like youre part of it all.....love it
  • Options
    :D Just got my copy last week........ such an awesome detailed story told by Jason and he writes beautifully, making you feel like you are there with him along the journey.....once you start you wont be able to put it down ;)
    Hold on to the thread....The currents will shift....Glide me towards you....

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life....
  • Options
    andrewbandrewb Posts: 487
    good times
    PJ
    6/03/06 6/24/08 6/25/08 6/28/08 8/28/09 10/30/09 10/31/09 3/13/10 5/15/10 5/18/10 5/20/10 5/21/10 9/3/11 9/4/11 9/2/12 10/18/13 10/19/13 10/25/13 10/22/14 9/26/15 5/1/16 5/2/16 8/5/16 8/7/16 8/20/16 4/7/17

Ed Ved
    8/5/08 6/12/09 6/21/11 6/22/11

Brad
    5/23/12

Soundgarden
    7/9/11 1/23/13 8/1/14

RNDM
    3/7/16
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    its a must buy-have -read one..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    A great book, well written and hard to put down - I was disappointed when I finished it cos I wanted to read more!
    Highly recommended, to all PJ fans, casual and hardcore alike.
    My Music, 'Crowd of Oaks' - Spotify | Bandcamp

Manchester 2000 :: Cardiff 2000 :: Prague 2006 :: London 2007 :: Manchester 2009 :: London 2009 :: Manchester I 2012 :: Manchester II 2012 :: Milton Keynes 2014 :: London I 2018 :: London II 2018

*BRAD* Birmingham 2013 :: London 2013
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Jason has a special offer on it from his site at the moment and he donates $1 to Wishlist Foundation

http://www.thisallencompassingtrip.com

His thread about the book is here so you should find some more reviews there

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=144764
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    Bump30Bump30 Burlington Ontario Posts: 446
    Great great great book! It's a MUST read!
    Toronto - 2009
    Hartford - 2010
    Ed Solo - Hartford - 2011
    Toronto X 2, Ottawa & Hamilton - 2011
    Ed Solo - Jacksonville - 2012
    London, Pittsburgh & Buffalo - 2013
    No shows in 2014 :-(
  • Options
    pjbizpjbiz Posts: 208
    Thanks for the great reviews. The book has been a huge success!
    Jason
  • Options
    BH304897BH304897 Posts: 137
    All i see are great reviews of the book so let me go in a little different direction. While interesting and entertaining i would be hard pressed to say that the writing is anything above average. The book reads a lot like a journal, as opposed to a good read. Not sure how many books people on here read, but the book could be better. That said if your really into PJ and would enjoy a journal style book travelling from show to show it's a decent read.
  • Options
    RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    It is a great book and a great read. It does read a bit like a journal- but that pretty much what it is. It takes you on a great journey across the world following PJ. It is funny, endearing, and in some ways I felt like I was on the journey with Jason and crew. It is a great book about PJ, but more than that it is a book about community, friendship, taking care of eachother and L-I-V-I-N. I found it to be inspiring.

As an avid roadtripper, it also inspired me to up my game as far as pimpin my ride. 8-)
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • Options
    BH304897 wrote:
    All i see are great reviews of the book so let me go in a little different direction. While interesting and entertaining i would be hard pressed to say that the writing is anything above average. The book reads a lot like a journal, as opposed to a good read. Not sure how many books people on here read, but the book could be better. That said if your really into PJ and would enjoy a journal style book travelling from show to show it's a decent read.

Im going to disagree here. It is a journal. It doesnt pretend to be anything else. When you say "Not sure how many books people on here read" what does this mean? Im an avid reader and I found this "book" to be totally engrossing. Its not a thriller, or a crime novel or a Gulag Archipelago....its a story of Pearl Jam fans living the touring dream. It about the excitement of taking a leap of faith, of delving in to the unknown. I dont care about its book status or its writing level, I loved it, felt part of it and am thankful for it.
  • Options
    joewalshdc wrote:
    BH304897 wrote:

Im going to disagree here. It is a journal. It doesnt pretend to be anything else. When you say "Not sure how many books people on here read" what does this mean? Im an avid reader and I found this "book" to be totally engrossing. Its not a thriller, or a crime novel or a Gulag Archipelago....its a story of Pearl Jam fans living the touring dream. It about the excitement of taking a leap of faith, of delving in to the unknown. I dont care about its book status or its writing level, I loved it, felt part of it and am thankful for it.

+1
    Hold on to the thread....The currents will shift....Glide me towards you....

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life....
  • Options
    BH304897BH304897 Posts: 137
    I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm seeing posts on here describing this as a "great book" and i think everyone is using the term a bit loosely. It is an interesting subject and an entertaining read, but it is certainly not a "great book". The subject is great and as a small press, theres certainly nothing like it on the market so if your really into it I get it. I bought the book and enjoyed the book, but lets at least let others know what the book is like and how it reads. Compare 5 Against 1, which was written with a little style and by a recognized author. The book begins with a compelling story to get the reader involved and goes from there. This book however is written like a journal, not that it's a bad thing but just letting others interested in the book know. Being honest and giving the book a review, I would say that if your really into Pearl Jam and are nut it's probably worth it, but if your only a casual fan you should probably pass.
  • Options
    OwlOwl Posts: 1,062
    I have started to read the book as soon as it hit my doorstep and I simply devoured it in a couple of days, but I have to agree with BH304897 on some points, here.

All my respect and merit to Jason for putting on a page such a wonderful experience (I started my personal PJ related travelling journal last year and never managed to get back to it, so congratulations!); it describes what most people like doing here, probably and that makes it extremely popular among us all. It is undoubtedly entertaining, but I have to confess, I have found it quite repetitive on the whole and not perfectly written, either.
    I enjoyed a lot the hints about the various places visited during the world tour and especially the food tips! :D
    I would have loved to hear some more about the setlists of every show, but I understand it would have become endless that way.
    Needless to say it reinforced the feeling I have of being part of such a great community, whose thoughts are generally shared and it made me re-live those wonderful moments, even if at a smaller scale.

For those reasons and more, I'd suggest it to every hard-core fan out there but it cannot be considered a masterpiece. Surely a good entertaining read, though.
    My own personal opinion :wave:
  • Options
    I would love to review (read 25 pages and was really enjoying it) but my wife's BFF took it and has not given it back :lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    I would love to review (read 25 pages and was really enjoying it) but my wife's BFF took it and has not given it back :lol:
    shoushh...you working for me,remember?? :lol:
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    :shifty:
    If you two hook up, I want my book back :lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    :shifty:
    If you two hook up, I want my book back :lol:
    ill give you pj20 sticker as bonus.. :lol:
  • Options
    JUKINJUKIN Posts: 102
    This book is just fine! no its not the autobiography of mark twain and it will stand out beside your copy of stephen hawking. Jason does a fine job writing this. I read a little everyday and couldn't wait to see what was in store next. Maybe i can relate because i've experienced some of this Pearl jam/concert magic. Ive said it before and still believe it, what makes this band so great is either you get it or you don't. i feel sorry for the ones who don't. It is what it is. Well done ,Jason
    jukin
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    Not got this book yet. I keep meaning to order a copy but will soon and I'm sure I'll get what I expect from it when I read it. Credit to the author for the idea... :)
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    sophiesophie Posts: 13
    One thing I noticed and was really excited about was hearing the reactions to the book from casual pearl jam fans. Or in some cases, people like my Dutch uncle who doesn't care for Pearl Jam's music at all but is an avid reader. He picked it up one night after receiving it for Christmas and couldn't put it down.
  • Options
    pjbizpjbiz Posts: 208
    Just to following up on the discussion here, the book is meant to be read like a journal, as it was the best format to use for telling all the events and stories that I wanted to share. And of course my writing is not perfect, but I believe I have written it in a way that was entertaining and easy to read for everyone.

Thanks for all the reviews guys. All comments are appreciated. Keep them coming, praises and criticisms. And don't forget to share your reviews on Amazon as well, if you get a chance.
    http://www.amazon.com/Encompassing-Chas ... 540&sr=1-4

Jason
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    It's pretty great for what it is. No it isn't Jack Kerouac's On The Road but it perfectly captures what it is like to be a fan and travel to these shows, meeting various people along the way. I've always wondered how people pull off being able to hit so many shows and now I know, at least in this case.

Hey, the writing isn't perfect. There are several grammar mistakes and such, no offense. But cut the guy a break. He was able to put on paper what many of us feel and experience and for that, more power to him!
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13