Options

Why has PJ never played Austin City Limits?

rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
edited May 2010 in The Porch
Not the Festival, mind you. I'm speaking of the television show only here.

I've got several episodes on TiVo that I've been going through lately and the thought occurs to me that it's sad a fantastic live band like Pearl Jam has never appeared on the show. It seems like an excellent medium for them and the city of Austin LOVES live music.

Many of their contemporaries have put on excellent shows there: Wilco, Ben Harper, Kings of Leon, Ryan Adams, Jack Johnson, Steve Earle and on and on...My question is why haven't PJ?

Do they rock too hard for ACL?
Do they dislike the television studio atmosphere?
Have they never been offered?

I'd really like to see them play the television show someday. I think it would be a great chapter in the ACL and PJ legacies.

What do YOU think? Would it work or wouldn't it? Why or why not?

Memphis 1994
New Orleans 1995
Fort Lauderdale 1996
Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
New Orleans 2000
Tampa 2003
Kissimmee 2004
New York City (x 2) 2008
East Troy (x 2) 2011
Chicago & New Orleans 2013
Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
Baltimore 2020
Louisville 2022
Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    I agree completely. Austin City Limits is awesome, and definitely not a "sell out" type gig. If PJ had no problem playing the VH-1 show, they certainly should see no issue playing ACL.

Wilco, The Arcade Fire, Coldplay, Ben Harper...all have put on excellent ACL shows. It's time for PJ to join the ranks.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,643
    Answer: It's in the South.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    NC_IrieNC_Irie Posts: 270
    Excellent suggestion!

Perhaps they could tack on a nice southern tour to go with it?
    Empty pockets will allow a greater sense of wealth.
    Why contain yourself like any other book on the shelf?

Subtle voices in the wind hear the truth they're telling.
    A world begins where the road ends.
    Watch me leave it all behind.
  • Options
    I agree completely. Austin City Limits is awesome, and definitely not a "sell out" type gig. If PJ had no problem playing the VH-1 show, they certainly should see no issue playing ACL.

Wilco, The Arcade Fire, Coldplay, Ben Harper...all have put on excellent ACL shows. It's time for PJ to join the ranks.

I just watched Coldplay and they were outstanding.

The Michael Stipe guest appearance just pushed it over the top for me.

PJ could totally rock that place. To me, it could be much like their Ed Sullivan Theater performance.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
  • Options

I understand, but they toured the South in '98, '00, and '03.

They could've booked an ACL appearance at some point in the past. Or they could make a visit just for the show/festival like other bands do.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    rhinomagic wrote:
    I understand, but they toured the South in '98, '00, and '03.

They could've booked an ACL appearance at some point in the past. Or they could make a visit just for the show/festival like other bands do.

True. But on the 2004 VFC Tour, while in Florida, Stone came down with a severe allergic reaction to the South. Therefore they can't play there any more.

jk
    07-02-98, 10-11-00, 04-22-03, 04-23-03, 06-09-03, 06-10-03, 06-18-03, 06-21-03, 06-22-03, 10-02-04, 10-03-04, 10-05-04, 05-16-06, 05-17-06, 05-22-06, 06-24-06, 06-29-06
  • Options
    yah i was watchin that coldplay one the other night... im not a fan of them personally... but i saw michael stipe was making a guest appearance and that was pretty sweet...

i think itd be a great atmosphere for PJ! even if they just did a more mellow acoustic set... id love to see it... then again, i love to see PJ perform anywhere...
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508

i don't wantta hear that bullshit.

chants to pj
    *do it, do it, do it*
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options

yeah, but it IS austin. austin is the small, peaceful blue oasis in a turbulent sea of red...

actually, it would really be awesome if pj played anything acl related. or in austin, period. such a great town.
    ...master of karate and friendship for everyone!
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    yeah, but it IS austin. austin is the small, peaceful blue oasis in a turbulent sea of red...

actually, it would really be awesome if pj played anything acl related. or in austin, period. such a great town.

this is true. Austin is bluer than the state of Massachusetts. And I'm not even exaggerating.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    rudiger10rudiger10 Posts: 129
    this is true. Austin is bluer than the state of Massachusetts. And I'm not even exaggerating.
    Its like my brother said
    "Austin is like someone took a patch of California heaven and dropped it in the middle of Texas"
    My god its been so long, never dreamed we'd return.
  • Options
    dont ever bring Austin down to California's level! haha, all I know is that its warmer in Austin now than it is in Chicago, but the food here is much better asides from the Rudys BBQ, sorry but Salt Lick sucks.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    That would be awesome!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    MoonTurtleMoonTurtle Posts: 750
    now they have

yay PJ!
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    caught the ACL performance on PBS last night...

were the levels THAT bad in real life or was it just the telecast? sounded TERRIBLE
    all i could hear was mike and a very winded (sick?) ed :? ... zero energy across the board

if i didnt know better i'd say they are the washed up band some people claim them to be
    though it could just be that they mainly showed S/T and backspacer tracks...

are the cameras super distracting in there? seemed like there were several booms right out in the audience... could that be what seemed so awkward about it? :|
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/