Options

interesting discussion at the bar...

2»

Comments

• Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Beach Bum wrote:
    :lol: the.......red............hot.............chili.....pep....ers.

You gotta be kidding me.

Don't forget they were the ones who had PJ open for them in 91. PJ might (and I really stress the word might) not have had as much success early on had it not been for opening for the Chili Peppers and playing so many shows to so many crowds on the Blood Sugar Sex Magic tour. Same with the Pumpkins. I bet Eddie and the rest of PJ really like and respect the RHCP.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    I have no sales figures in my head. If I did, I'd listen to rock radio exclusively. I've been to only 3 PJ shows over a span of 20 years, and they have all been extremely significant to me personally. The second one, in Fargo 2003, I started to cry when Ed started in on the first notes of Arc. It was a very emotional experience for me to see them live again after all those years (10 years nearly). It was nearly a born again Pearl Jam epiphany. :lol:

But I can also acknowledge that while they are a very special band to me, they are a normal band. I'm sure any one of the members would tell you the same thing. Elite level? In what respect? What other bands have reached this so-called level?
    Beach Bum wrote:
    The last word I'd use to describe Pearl Jam is normal. They are on an elite level that only a couple other bands have reached. Get sales figures out of your minds that means nothing. Eddie Vedder could write songs the masses would devour, if he wanted to sing about fucking and things like that. He could write a Nickleback caliber song on the toilet taking a shit. He doesn't want to people.

If you have ever been to a Pearl Jam concert you know your seeing something that means something, something that matters. It's an assault on your mind. It's powerful and breathtaking and the songs live in you far afterwards. You carry the songs around inside you everywhere you go and if your somewhere by yourself it still almost feels like your not alone because those songs and those performances and those moments they have given you is right there with you.

Normal :lol: Pearl Jam is not a normal band.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    BlahBlah Posts: 469
    youngster wrote:
    Beach Bum wrote:

You gotta be kidding me.

Don't forget they were the ones who had PJ open for them in 91. PJ might (and I really stress the word might) not have had as much success early on had it not been for opening for the Chili Peppers and playing so many shows to so many crowds on the Blood Sugar Sex Magic tour. Same with the Pumpkins. I bet Eddie and the rest of PJ really like and respect the RHCP.

Yes they like and respect them alot. Ed and the guys are really good friends with all the members. Ed is ecspecially close to Flea and John Frusciante. They are not even close to being as good or as talented as the members of Pearl Jam though and thats all were talking about.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    Beach Bum wrote:
    . They are not even close to being as good or as talented as the members of Pearl Jam though and thats all were talking about.
    flea is a much much better bassist then jeff ament and john frusciante is very underrated guitarist. mccready has gotten very boring over recent years. plays the same solo on alive and evenflow night after night. 90's were his best years.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    it's hard to gauge the actual musicianship of the members of PJ, as their music doesn't really push any musical bounderies, but I'd have to say that Flea is one of the best bassists of his generation, and Frusciante is one of my favourite guitarists, surpassing McCready actually.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Beach Bum wrote:
    youngster wrote:
    Beach Bum wrote:

You gotta be kidding me.

Yes they like and respect them alot. Ed and the guys are really good friends with all the members. Ed is ecspecially close to Flea and John Frusciante. They are not even close to being as good or as talented as the members of Pearl Jam though and thats all were talking about.

While I will agree that Pearl Jam is the better band, I can't agree that the Chili peppers aren't even close. They are very talented and put on a great live show (I've seen them twice). It's cool that you don't like them. I just don't agree with you on the talented aspect.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    BlahBlah Posts: 469
    Paul David wrote:
    Elite level? In what respect? What other bands have reached this so-called level?

Without a doubt they are unrivaled by any other band from the United States. The Beatles, The Who, The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin are the only ones on this level of magic or whatever the fuck it is these bands have. I don't even know what to call it but it's certainly different than a normal band.

People will toss out the U2's and Green Day's and even The Grateful Dead's of the world but seriously it's a joke. Anyway I like the members of the Chili Peppers and like them but it's like comparing Michael Jordan to John Paxson..........lets just not go there chaps.
  • Options
    well, it's all subjective. If you can't quantify your point, then obviously I can't either. Saying they are "unrivaled" doesn't really explain what you mean.

Again, they are unrivaled to me, and obviously to you, but I still don't think that makes them elite or whatever that means.
    Beach Bum wrote:
    Paul David wrote:
    Elite level? In what respect? What other bands have reached this so-called level?

Without a doubt they are unrivaled by any other band from the United States. The Beatles, The Who, The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin are the only ones on this level of magic or whatever the fuck it is these bands have. I don't even know what to call it but it's certainly different than a normal band.

People will toss out the U2's and Green Day's and even The Grateful Dead's of the world but seriously it's a joke. Anyway I like the members of the Chili Peppers and like them but it's like comparing Michael Jordan to John Paxson..........lets just not go there chaps.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    I'm kind of amazed this thread has gone 3 pages and nobody has mentioned any other suggestions.

I assumed i'd have seen a Radiohead mention by now :)
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,492
    This thread is quickly degenerating into the overrated bands thread over in Other Music. :-)
  • Options
    Last time i saw the Peppers was a total bore fest i could of walked out during any song , they stopped being fun way back in the 90's ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    I'm kind of amazed this thread has gone 3 pages and nobody has mentioned any other suggestions.

I assumed i'd have seen a Radiohead mention by now :)

yea i agree, i think Radiohead is the only band from the 90s that even comes close to being as good as Pearl Jam. After By The Way i havent had any interest in listening to RHCP at all, every song is the same and they lost their funk as far as i'm concerned.

i still dont understand what "being relevant" means for a band but if any band has done anything progressive or "relevant" lately its Radiohead and the way they released their last album. their new one is going to be outrageous.

anyways, Pearl Jam beats RHCP by a long shot - shows and albums. Green Day blows.
  • Options
    ML181059 wrote:
    Green Day blows.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Tell us how you really feel.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,272
    Gmoney wrote:
    In looking at this list it is obvious that PJ destroys RHCP in the overall picture. But when I look at those last 3 albums, which has been the core of the past 10 yrs, peppers win. And I think everyone needs to spend some qt with stadium arcadium.... give it a few days worth of listening, im willing to bet it grows on you!
    I have spent enough time with SA to know that it's not my favourite RHCP album (I even bought the box set set with the marbles and other crap in it when it came out). It would have been better if it had been split into three separate albums like they originally planned (I wonder if they knew already that John was going to quit after the tour and rushed out the double album instead - just a thought)

I also think that John Frusciante's output in the last 10 years (9 solo releases since Californication, and that's not counting the Ataxia, Mars Volta or Omar Rodríguez-López collaborations) is of a higher quality than RHCP's. I'd actually take any 3 of his last releases over anything RHCP have done since Blood Sugar Sex Magik:

To Record Only Water for Ten Days
    From The Sounds Inside
    Shadows Collide with People
    The Will to Death
    DC EP
    Inside of Emptiness
    A Sphere in the Heart of Silence
    Curtains
    The Empyrean
    Gmoney wrote:
    Whatever beach bum... and it does not suck to be me, it's pretty awesome actually.
    By the way, that is a great response! :D
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)