The Following Artists are Better than Pearl Jam...

FirstExitFirstExit Los Angeles Posts: 972
edited September 2010 in The Porch
...according to VH1
http://www.virtualpressoffice.com/publi ... Id=&sInfo=
"VH1's 100 Greatest Artists of All Time" List:

TOP 5, IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER

1. The Beatles

2. Bob Dylan

3. Michael Jackson

4. Led Zeppelin

5. Rolling Stones

NUMBER 6 – 11, RANKED

6. Jimi Hendrix

7. Prince

8. Elvis Presley

9. James Brown

10. Stevie Wonder

11. Bob Marley

12. David Bowie

13. The Who

14. Nirvana

15. The Beach Boys

16. Madonna

17. Queen

18. Pink Floyd

19. U2

20. Marvin Gaye

21. Bruce Springsteen

22. The Clash

23. AC/DC

24. The Velvet Underground

25. Chuck Berry

26. Neil Young

27. Aretha Franklin

28. Elton John

29. Radiohead

30. Aerosmith

31. John Lennon

32. Black Sabbath

33. Guns N' Roses

34. Tina Turner

35. Johnny Cash

36. Paul McCartney

37. Fleetwood Mac

38. Sly & The Family Stone

39. The Kinks

40. The Police

41. Van Halen

42. Metallica

43. Ray Charles

44. Joni Mitchell

45. Al Green

46. Ramones

47. Jay-Z

48. Rage Against The Machine

49. Parliament-Funkadelic

50. Sade

51. Billy Joel

52. Beyonce

53. Little Richard

54. Public Enemy

55. Peter Gabriel

56. KISS

57. Iggy & The Stooges

58. Cheap Trick

59. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

60. Whitney Houston

61. Cream

62. Genesis

63. Notorious B.I.G.

64. Talking Heads

65. The Doors

66. Justin Timberlake

67. Coldplay

68. Otis Redding

69. Tupac Shakur

70. Def Leppard

71. R.E.M.

72. Janis Joplin

73. Van Morrison

74. The Cure

75. Rush

76. Run-D.M.C.

77. Lynyrd Skynyrd

78. Judas Priest

79. Eminem

80. Mary J. Blige

81. ABBA

82. Steely Dan

83. Earth, Wind and Fire

84. Curtis Mayfield

85. The Band

86. N.W.A.

87. George Michael

88. Bee Gees

89. Beastie Boys

90. Elvis Costello

91. Green Day

92. LL Cool J

93. Pearl Jam

let the jaw drops begin.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• haha... Yeah...

ABBA
    NWA

yeah...

no.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    complete horse shit ........

anyone in their right mind would not put them so low on that list .. really if you have an once of music tast/talent you know they should be in at least the top 20

its clear the person who wrote that list is rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreal high on drugs
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • FirstExitFirstExit Los Angeles Posts: 972
    joe2468 wrote:
    complete horse shit ........

anyone in their right mind would not put them so low on that list .. really if you have an once of music tast/talent you know they should be in at least the top 20

its clear the person who wrote that list is rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreal high on drugs

it allegedly wasn't a person bro, read the article. they said it was a group of musicians and music experts.
  • Nirvana that high?....Hoooooooooooooooooooow?
    2005:Calgary, Edmonton
    2008:Bonnaroo
    2009:Virgin Fest Calgary, Outside Lands
    2010:Boston, MSG1, MSG2
    2011:EV Seattle (x2), PJ20(x2), Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver

"You are the luckiest fan in the board having heard oceans, release and hard to imagine three shows in a row!!"
  • The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Tina Turner is better than Paul McCartney, lol
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • MB50486MB50486 Posts: 243
    Justin Timberlake...really?
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Can't argue with The Beatles, Dylan, Stones, Zep, Bruce, U2, Lennon and McCartney solo. But Nirvana above U2 and Bruce? That's outrageous!
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    Be glad they made it into the top 100 at all.
    Who knows who votes for these lists?! :? :P
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    i heard an interview with one of the producers of the show on some AM station here in florida. i forget which show but the host said, "who do you think is underrated? how about pearl jam?"

the producer said that it's pretty much just an honor to make the list
  • jshinjshin Posts: 1,759
    What was this list based on? Nirvana 14? The Ramones 46?..boo to the whole thing.
    I ain't got no fly'n shoes..

• mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,742
    edited September 2010
    Here's a list from 12 years ago (notice what dying does to your career?)

VH1's TOP 100 ALL TIME GREATEST ARTISTS (1998)

1. The Beatles
    2. The Rolling Stones
    3. Jimi Hendrix
    4. Led Zeppelin
    5. Bob Dylan
    6. James Brown
    7. David Bowie
    8. Elvis Presley
    9. The Who
    10. The Police
    11. Stevie Wonder
    12. Ray Charles
    13. The Beach Boys
    14. Marvin Gaye
    15. Eric Clapton
    16. John Lennon
    17. Elton John
    18. Prince
    19. Pink Floyd
    20. The Doors
    21. Aretha Franklin
    22. Fleetwood Mac
    23. The Eagles
    24. Bob Marley
    25. Van Morrison
    26. Chuck Berry
    27. Bruce Springsteen
    28. Sly & the Family Stone
    29. U2
    30. Neil Young
    31. The Clash
    32. Joni Mitchell
    33. Queen
    34. Buddy Holly
    35. Otis Redding
    36. Little Richard
    37. Al Green
    38. Elvis Costello
    39. Miles Davis
    40. Michael Jackson
    41. Janis Joplin
    42. Nirvana
    43. Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
    44. The Jackson Five
    45. Crosby, Stills & Nash
    46. The Sex Pistols
    47. Creedence Clearwater Revival
    48. Van Halen
    49. Roy Orbison
    50. R.E.M.
    51. B.B. King
    52. Cream
    53. Peter Gabriel
    54. The Grateful Dead
    55. The Byrds
    56. The Kinks
    57. Steely Dan
    58. Sam Cooke
    59. Bo Diddley
    60. Earth, Wind & Fire
    61. Smokey Robinson
    62. Paul McCartney
    63. Sting
    64. Frank Zappa
    65. James Taylor
    66. Talking Heads
    67. Kiss
    68. The Allman Brothers
    69. Pretenders
    70. Stevie Ray Vaughan
    71. Rod Stewart
    72. Simon & Garfunkel
    73. Muddy Waters
    74. The Velvet Underground
    75. Curtis Mayfield
    76. The Bee Gees
    77. John Coltrane
    78. Billy Joel
    79. Aerosmith
    80. Tina Turner
    81. The Band
    82. Devo
    83. Iggy Pop
    84. T. Rex
    85. Carole King
    86. Madonna
    87. Santana
    88. Ramones
    89. Johnny Cash
    90. Tom Waits
    91. Gladys Knight & the Pips
    92. The Temptations
    93. The Four Tops
    94. Diana Ross & the Supremes
    95. Robert Johnson
    96. Lynyrd Skynyrd
    97. Fats Domino
    98. Traffic
    99. Parliament/Funkadelic
    100. Paul Simon
    Post edited by mookeywrench on
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • based on the new list, are you not an artist if you write country or jazz?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Pearl JamesPearl James Pittsburgh/Chicago Posts: 420
    :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

I bet they didnt even listen to the free boots that came with Backspacer!
  • We live in a Pearl Jam bubble. We love Pearl Jam with everything we've got, but to most people (and probably most music critics and musicians) they are just a solid rock band. Unfortunately they will forever live in Nirvana's shadow.

We shouldn't be surprised that they are 93. They should be higher though. Usually PJ is only #1 when there are public polls and the people on this board vote 100 times each because they have nothing better to do.
  • DelDel Posts: 28
    edited September 2010
    I doubt anyone who watches VH1 has even HEARD of Buddy Holly. You know this was a joke when Jay-Z beat them. But ABBA? Why not the Baha Men or the Spice Girls? Anything but ABBA!!
    Its also very sad that no other "grunge" bands got on here. AiC? SOundgarden?
    And The Ramones and Clash seem to be the only punk bands that exist today, in a world where Bad Brains has there own SHOE!

Wait...no FRANK ZAPPA??? THIS MAKES ME ANGRY!!!
    Post edited by Del on
    Philly 09, 1,2,3,4
    New Orleans '10 (Jazz Fes.)
    Newark NJ '10
    MSG 1,2 '10

Listen to Sage Francis!!
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    people need to stop ranking music.
  • UpSideDown wrote:

100% correct.

I remember a Rolling Stone top 100 from a bunch of years ago that put Kurt Cobain and Billy Corgan in the top 20 or something. Complete horseshit.
  • LL Cool J is CLEARLY a better musician than any single person in Pearl Jam, or the entire band put together....as a matter of fact, LL Cool J shoulda been on the top of that list.... i mean seriously..where the hell have you guys been the last 20 years? Momma said knock you out? Pure Genius.....Im appalled by this list.

in all honesty tho..i hate lists....first of all, every one has and is entitled to their own personal opinion...so with that in mind, not many people would have the same exact list....no matter what it is that we are trying to put in order. I say, if we have to have lists, we do a Suck list and Doesnt Suck list and leave it at that...and, they still wont get it right... :roll:
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    Funny list.
    Seeing Nirvana sooo high I can't stop thinking how this list would look like, if EV had died years ago instead of KC. (Pish!). There is no such list for which I would have regretted that it did not happen.
    And I hope PJ will live forever :mrgreen:
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    jgrossman wrote:
    UpSideDown wrote:

100% correct.

I remember a Rolling Stone top 100 from a bunch of years ago that put Kurt Cobain and Billy Corgan in the top 20 or something. Complete horseshit.

+1

Keep in mind this list is coming from the same network that brought us Flava of Love and I Love New York.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • UpSideDown wrote:

Amen bro
  • Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,973
    Dipshits
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    UpSideDown wrote:
    Definitely. They could do this again next week and some of the results would be different so what's the point in doing it at all? Every time I look at this list I see something that annoys me (AC/DC at 23? Def Leppard at 70? Seriously?) so it's best to just ignore it.

At least we beat Mariah Carey (94) though! :D
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Was this list compiled before or after Lukin 2 was performed? That changes things in my opinion.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • MASMAS Posts: 628
    Justin Timberlake I can understand but Sade???
  • Pearl Jam has never played into the politics of the music industry and I think that's why they end up at 93 on a list like this and are not included in, for example, Rolling Stone magazine's "500 greatest albums." Think about it. They have their own label, they've defied ticketmaster by keeping prices down and basically giving them leftovers from the 10C pre sales. Let's not forget Eddie's grammy speech. And you never see them carted around by some record rep so they can perform on the Today Show.

They've bucked the system and that says a lot about PJ.

Granted PJ is brilliant marketing machine within their own right. They focus on the fans - they are not serving a corporate master who sits in an office on Sunset Boulevard. And that's the game you have to play to get on these lists.
  • The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Actually, Ten, VS and Vitalogy are all included in RS's 500 greatest albums issue. Just sayin.

PJGirl321 wrote:
    Pearl Jam has never played into the politics of the music industry and I think that's why they end up at 93 on a list like this and are not included in, for example, Rolling Stone magazine's "500 greatest albums." Think about it. They have their own label, they've defied ticketmaster by keeping prices down and basically giving them leftovers from the 10C pre sales. Let's not forget Eddie's grammy speech. And you never see them carted around by some record rep so they can perform on the Today Show.

Granted PJ is brilliant marketing machine within their own right. They focus on the fans - they are not serving a corporate master who sits in an office on Sunset Boulevard. And that's the game you have to play to get on these lists.
  • Actually, Ten, VS and Vitalogy are all included in RS's 500 greatest albums issue. Just sayin.

PJGirl321 wrote:
    Pearl Jam has never played into the politics of the music industry and I think that's why they end up at 93 on a list like this and are not included in, for example, Rolling Stone magazine's "500 greatest albums." Think about it. They have their own label, they've defied ticketmaster by keeping prices down and basically giving them leftovers from the 10C pre sales. Let's not forget Eddie's grammy speech. And you never see them carted around by some record rep so they can perform on the Today Show.

Then I am thinking of the wrong thing...rolling stone recently issued something that excluded PJ where it would have made sense to see them included.
    [/quote]

Then I am thinking of the wrong thing...rolling stone recently issued something that excluded PJ where it would have made sense to see them included.[/quote]

Maybe the greatest songs of all time list? I don't know. I know Ed got excluded from the 100 greatest singers of all time list a couple of years ago. That was an oversight. He's one of the most influential and imitated singers of the past 20 years and he gets bumped for Axl Rose and Art Garfunkle.

• Then I am thinking of the wrong thing...rolling stone recently issued something that excluded PJ where it would have made sense to see them included.[/quote]

Maybe the greatest songs of all time list? I don't know. I know Ed got excluded from the 100 greatest singers of all time list a couple of years ago. That was an oversight. He's one of the most influential and imitated singers of the past 20 years and he gets bumped for Axl Rose and Art Garfunkle.[/quote]

Yes....that's it. It was a list of I believe 100 songs. RS just keeps churning out these special editions to make money.