Why do people feel the need to throw stuff at Ed??

FirstExitFirstExit Los Angeles Posts: 972
edited May 2010 in The Porch
Edit: Clearly this post was a bad idea. :P

Like their t-shirts and signs and stuff?

Holding a banner/sign and THROWING IT AT ED are two completely different things. Same thing with shirts. Anyone who was at Boston and/or MSG 2 knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Maybe if we stopped throwing stuff at him they'd eliminate the gap between the stage and the people? Maybe even bring back the GA Standing Room Only for 10club????

I saw Bruce Springsteen last year, like 10 shows or something (can't think right now lol), and for one of them I was in the very front of the pit. He had a standing room only pit, and we hit the lottery and got to be literally against the stage. There was no gap AT ALL. Our hands were literally where Bruce was walking.

I was going to suggest that Pearl Jam do something like this, then I realized, people are always throwing their shit on stage.

Please stop.

Love,
FirstExit
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    Which is worse though - throwing a sign or a shirt up on stage with a song request or for someone to hold up a sign right in front of you, blocking your view through entire song or songs?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • FirstExitFirstExit Los Angeles Posts: 972
    LukinFan wrote:
    Which is worse though - throwing a sign or a shirt up on stage with a song request or for someone to hold up a sign right in front of you, blocking your view through entire song or songs?
    If you follow Bruce, you know that he encouraged people to bring signs to shows. That being said, with the hundreds of signs in the venue on any given night, not once did I ever see anyone holding theirs up the whole show, or even through an entire song.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWrrzCFtU8M
    he is lucky he gets all those stuff,in Greece we throw flowers to singer... :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • why don't we stop trying to tell people wtf to do at shows and worry about our fucking selves for a change?!

don't do this. you shouldn't do that...don't wear PJ shirts to a PJ show......ENOUGH ALREADY!!! FUCK!!!
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    FirstExit wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:
    If you follow Bruce, you know that he encouraged people to bring signs to shows. That being said, with the hundreds of signs in the venue on any given night, not once did I ever see anyone holding theirs up the whole show, or even through an entire song.
    I was only at MSG2 on this past tour, so that is all that I'm referring to, and at different points at the show, they were all over the place - many for good portions of the song.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    why don't we stop trying to tell people wtf to do at shows and worry about our fucking selves for a change?!

don't do this. you shouldn't do that...don't wear PJ shirts to a PJ show......ENOUGH ALREADY!!! FUCK!!!

Easy guy

I don't agree with the reasoning but I agree less stuff needs to be tossed on stage. Most of it just gets in the way or gets picked up by the stage hands.
  • 3legged dog3legged dog Posts: 896
    enough with the air jordan sweat bands too.......... :lol::lol::lol:
    In my lifetime, I have conquered the Multiverse by force of trUth.
  • U R A Crazy BreedU R A Crazy Breed Posts: 8,370
    edited May 2010

dude....i purchased those FOR Ed...it was a gift from one fan to another......so shut it Edith! :lol:

delete your avatar and give me my pic back you fuck!! :mrgreen:
    Post edited by U R A Crazy Breed on
  • youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574

and wallets.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWrrzCFtU8M
    he is lucky he gets all those stuff,in Greece we throw flowers to singer... :D
    :lol::lol::lol:
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • dude, gtfo. all you do is bitch.
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Are worn knickers acceptable to throw?
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    I would throw a sandwich, maybe he is hungry?
  • Claireack wrote:

only if they are silky and sexy! no bloomers on the stage please! ;):mrgreen::lol:
  • youngster wrote:

and wallets.

hey......i never threw my wallet on the stage! i throw enough fucking money at this band as it is! :lol::lol:
    Claireack wrote:

only if they are silky and sexy! no bloomers on the stage please! ;):mrgreen::lol:

Damn!! I only wear belly warmers!!
  • Claireack wrote:

well.......if you ever need to make a song request banner Ed can see from the upper deck, you're all set! :lol::lol::lol:
    Claireack wrote:

well.......if you ever need to make a song request banner Ed can see from the upper deck, you're all set! :lol::lol::lol:

Good idea! HRC here I come ....
  • doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    because sometimes they motion for you to do so.. :mrgreen:
    >
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    I think he dosn't mind when you hold up signs or shirts with requests but he gets mad when you throw them on the stage, he seemed enraged when two people threw him their shirts in cleveland and he whipped them right back.
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    RiotZact wrote:
    I think he dosn't mind when you hold up signs or shirts with requests but he gets mad when you throw them on the stage, he seemed enraged when two people threw him their shirts in cleveland and he whipped them right back.
    There was one point at MSG 2 (i think during RVM?) when someone threw their shirt up so he had to stop playing guitar so he could grab it and then get back to playing.

It's like WTF are these people thinking? Would you want people throwing clothes at you all show?

That said he did ask people for stuff during a few shows although I'm sure its because they motioned to him they wanted to toss up. At least then he was expecting it though!

As for signs... I also saw a few times where people would hold up signs so much/long/often he would kind of acknowledge them while at the same time give them a look like 'yes, i see it.. now put it the hell down.'
  • deepgreendeepgreen Posts: 41
    I think with the time those guys are getting mature.
    I guess you all have seen this but in any case comparing is good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd9iOpMSOns
  • there is definitely a certain etiquette involved when throwing stuff to the band....and #1 is definitely don't fucking throw shit at them when they are in the middle of a song!!!....i threw a little wrist band on stage and i threw it at Ed's feet, not his head!! that's how ya do it!
  • youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    youngster wrote:

and wallets.

hey......i never threw my wallet on the stage! i throw enough fucking money at this band as it is! :lol::lol:

Ah, you and me both brother. I am probably into this band for at least 5K over the last 20 years.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • deepgreen wrote:
    I think with the time those guys are getting mature.
    I guess you all have seen this but in any case comparing is good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd9iOpMSOns

"I was gonna play your favorite song, but i'm afraid i might get interrupted by a fucking shoe" :lol::lol::lol: that was always my favorite part!
  • youngster wrote:

Ah, you and me both brother. I am probably into this band for at least 5K over the last 20 years.

:lol::lol: i've spent that in the past 4 years going to shows. :lol::lol:
  • FirstExitFirstExit Los Angeles Posts: 972
    there is definitely a certain etiquette involved when throwing stuff to the band....and #1 is definitely don't fucking throw shit at them when they are in the middle of a song!!!....i threw a little wrist band on stage and i threw it at Ed's feet, not his head!! that's how ya do it!

I have reason to believe it was you throwing quarters at Ed at Great Woods in 98.
    drsluggo wrote:
    RiotZact wrote:
    There was one point at MSG 2 (i think during RVM?) when someone threw their shirt up so he had to stop playing guitar so he could grab it and then get back to playing.

It's like WTF are these people thinking? Would you want people throwing clothes at you all show?

That said he did ask people for stuff during a few shows although I'm sure its because they motioned to him they wanted to toss up. At least then he was expecting it though!

As for signs... I also saw a few times where people would hold up signs so much/long/often he would kind of acknowledge them while at the same time give them a look like 'yes, i see it.. now put it the hell down.'

This was the specific event that provoked my post.
  • FirstExit wrote:
    there is definitely a certain etiquette involved when throwing stuff to the band....and #1 is definitely don't fucking throw shit at them when they are in the middle of a song!!!....i threw a little wrist band on stage and i threw it at Ed's feet, not his head!! that's how ya do it!

I have reason to believe it was you throwing quarters at Ed at Great Woods in 98.

the quarters were symbolic dude!! And why doesn't anybody ever talk about the chant i had going? "Fuck Betterman!!...i want Pac-man"
  • DeeepBreathDeeepBreath Posts: 69
    in 2006 cincy show a friend threw parachutes at ed and got a big kick out of it and encouraged people to throw more things like a joint .. :lol:
  • PJ5a1PJ5a1 Oceanside, NY Posts: 400
    Whoever started this post should just watch concerts on tv drinking warm milk and a cup of sanca OR the person should just take midol cause he or she or it has their period. What a dunce this person is. I HATE PEOPLE LIKE this one.
    People will do what they want when they want and how they want to do it. If you don't like it then fuck off and crawl in a hole.
    If I were Eddie Vedder, would you like me any better? - Local H