Options

London drinks Thurs 24/6 - no booking, just show up

HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
edited June 2010 in Given To Fly (live)
You may have read in various places that I'd arranged this place, The Phoenix, where we're all gonna go and get shitfaced the night before the Hyde Park gig.

Well, I'd reserved the place, but turns out someone then went around and slapped down a deposit with the pub for the same night, which means we need to be looking at somewhere else.

So forget everything about the Phoenix. It also appears there's really not much available to be sold off anyway to raise charity money. So it's really just about finding some place where we can have a big pissup.

The Londoners' old stomping ground of The Royal George has a gig that night, and their upstairs bar won't hold 120+ people. Others have suggested the Crobar, the metal place just around the corner, but that place is pretty much jampacked when there's 20 people in it. Intrepid Fox, a Goth place around the corner as well, is bigger and might be an option.

I'm gonna go walk around central london again today to do an alcohol-free pub crawl, to find a spot that'll hold enough of us and has the right kind of atmosphere. Nursing a hangover at the moment. This could get nasty.

UPDATE:

Too bloody hard to find any place to take bookings during the world cup. Everyone, just show up at The Old Explorer on 23 Great Castle Street (Oxford Circus). The Phoenix is just across the road if there's not enough room for everyone. There's no booking. No pubs taking any bookings while the world cup is on.
115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    theserialthrillatheserialthrilla Posts: 15,760
    I'm gonna go walk around central london again today to do an alcohol-free pub crawl, :shock: :shock:

i smell a beer in the air.

ill more then likely be there..just asked the boss(wife) if its ok to go up the night before. :mrgreen: cant we all just go around chime's place
  • Options
    HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    I'm gonna go walk around central london again today to do an alcohol-free pub crawl, :shock: :shock:

i smell a beer in the air.

ill more then likely be there..just asked the boss(wife) if its ok to go up the night before. :mrgreen: cant we all just go around chime's place
    She lives a wee bit out.

17 people could pass out at my place without touching each other. I've measured it out. Though I have no idea who and how many people I've invited to mine already. I should stop. My place is also a 15 minute bus ride from Hyde Park :)
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • Options
    Hub.Hub. Posts: 1,988
    Hinn wrote:

Well, I'd reserved the place, but turns out someone then went around and slapped down a deposit with the pub for the same night, which means we need to be looking at somewhere else.

Ouch! :(

The Intrepid Fox seems quite good (I mean, its location, I don't know about the rest).
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Bastards flashing their money! I like the Intrepid Fox, decent music. A couple of years ago, a bunch of us ended up there. Don't really expect PJ though, and you don't really get 'requests'. There is a 'band' space upstairs. Might be free seeing it's a Thursday. Should get Pearl Jammed to come and play!
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Ok Hinn,ill update Euro tour thread..wait for your news.
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Heehee this is what going for cocktails with Jennytree and I results in :mrgreen:

btw I'm in no way responsible for said hangover! :twisted:

I said you should eat ;)
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    Hi guys,

What about the night of the gig, any plans?
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    edited May 2010
    Damn, don't think I can do the night before, unless I can sneak out when noone is looking, hopefully do something the day?

Edit: Just been thinking - can a 13 year old go into a pub? If so might be able to pop in for an hour :D
    Edit: How about somewhere with a garden? For if the weathers nice.
    Post edited by Claireack on
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,859
    WAXYS!!!!!!! 8-)
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    Hub.Hub. Posts: 1,988
    Claireack wrote:
    Edit: How about somewhere with a garden? For if the weathers nice.

You never can be sure the weather will be good and since you have, in some way, to "book" the pub really early, I don't think you can take the risk. :(

Or, maybe you mean a pub with a garden, is that it? ;)
  • Options
    Digital TwilightDigital Twilight Posts: 5,642
    Somewhere with the football showing i think will be best :D
  • Options
    dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
    It's a shame about the original place.
    I can't really remember any of the places I used to drink in near Hyde Park. My local in Maida Vale is now a Gordon Ramsey gastropub.
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Goood luck Hinn.
  • Options
    what time the hyde park close??we can do a pic-nic -drunk party there...but i guess we need a lot of drinks for not be out..nah better in a bar i guess the have a bigger cava... :lol:
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    philthehipphilthehip Posts: 2,084
    Why dont we just all grab beers, bring along a ghetto blaster and have a party in Hyde Park :D
  • Options
    philthehip wrote:
    Why dont we just all grab beers, bring along a ghetto blaster and have a party in Hyde Park :D

2nd.

Disposable BBQ as well :D
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    philthehip wrote:

2nd.

Well they make black rectangles on the grass.
  • Options
    Brisk. wrote:
    philthehip wrote:

2nd.

Well they make black rectangles on the grass.

I will bring some bricks :lol:
  • Options
    If we all chip in £1 i bet we could buy a half decent decent BBQ set.

Everybody just bring some meat or buns ect and your own booze and presto!!!!
  • Options
    If we all chip in £1 i bet we could buy a half decent decent BBQ set.

Everybody just bring some meat or buns ect and your own booze and presto!!!!

Exactly, sounds like fun to me. Cheap and I think we could all fit in :D
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Don't want to rain on your guys parade :oops: .... oh yeah what about rain :P

Think someone needs to look into the rules for using the park ;)

I don't think you are allowed really large gatherings without permission and their may be fees ... also no loud music :?

EDIT: Dimitris Hyde Park closes at midnight
    Post edited by chime on
  • Options
    dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
    chime wrote:

I don't think you are allowed really large gatherings without permission and their may be fees ... also no loud music :?

and we are talking about English summers....plus you'll not be able to watch the footie which was a request previously
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • Options
    chime wrote:

Yer I was thinking about the law side of it. No fun allowed in England :lol:
  • Options
    dottles wrote:
    chime wrote:

and we are talking about English summers....plus you'll not be able to watch the footie which was a request previously

We'll get a portable TV and really long exstension lead :D
  • Options
    philthehip wrote:
    chime wrote:

Yer I was thinking about the law side of it. No fun allowed in England :lol:

It makes sense though ... loads of families trying to enjoy the park and then a few hundred people are allowed to turn up and disturb the peace (not us you understand ... but other groups if it was allowed ;))
  • Options
    chime wrote:

Time like this i love Greece for not be organized and everybody can do what they want!! :)
    whatever people want im in..i guess hinn will find the best choise,so wait and see :D
  • Options
    EDIT:Thanks Chime.. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Yeah BBQs are frowned upon :(

Back to the original plan of Beer Garden and Football.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    which teams play at 24th?
    Post edited by dimitrispearljam on