Options

Your opinion about Immigration.

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,627
    CM189191 said:
    Quadrupling down. They really do think the majority of Americans are stupid.  Team Trump Treason could have had the funding a year, six months and a month or so ago. A year ago, Paul Ryan thought a tax cut to the tune of $1.2 trillion was more of a priority. And here we are. Not listening to the experts on cost and effectiveness is to be separated from reality. Suckers.

He just knows it's the only way out of this.  Let the courts kill it.  
  • Options
    For those who said that those in the caravan weren't really asylum-seekers, just people looking to scam the system in the US:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/13/nelson-espinal-death-deported-migrant-caravan-us-border-honduras

'A death sentence': migrant caravan member killed in Honduras after US sent him back

Fleeing threats, Nelson Espinal traveled to the US. One week after he was deported, he was shot dead

Jeff Ernst in Tegucigalpa

Several days after Nelson Espinal slipped across the US southern border, he called his family back in Honduras from inside a US detention center.

“Tell Mom not to worry – I’m applying for asylum,” Espinal, 28, told his sister Patricia, who recounted the December phone call with tears streaming down her sun-scarred cheeks. “We must pray to God that they give it to me. I told them I can’t go back to Honduras because if I go back, they’re going to kill me.”

Espinal had made the 4,900km journey with several thousand others who joined the migrant caravan in October in the hopes of starting a new life.

Within weeks of reaching the US, however, he was deported back to his gang-infested neighborhood in the Honduran capital Tegucigalpa – and the death threats that had prompted him to flee.

He resolved to try his luck again in the new year: head north, save his life and find a way to help his family and provide for his seven-year-old son.

But just over a week after his return, Nelson was shot dead on the street outside his home on 18 December 2018.

Despite a recent drop in homicide rates in Honduras and neighboring countries, Espinal’s murder is a sharp reminder that for many people in the region, the decision to migrate is one of life or death.

A ruling last June by the then US attorney general Jeff Sessions made it all but impossible for victims of gang violence like Espinal to obtain asylum. And as a new migrant caravan prepares to set off from Honduras on Tuesday, more will probably suffer the same fate.

Espinal lived with his parents, four sisters and son in a rough shack in the José Ángel Ulloa neighborhood. High in the mountains that cup the city centre, the area is dominated by the notorious MS-13 gang.

In cities across Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala, gangs terrorize residents into submission and recruit young people by force or coercion, promising “work” for youths who have little prospect of finding formal employment – and threatening death for those who refuse.

“When they get their eye on someone, they search them out again and again,” said Patricia Espinal.

The gangs had tried to recruit her brother since he was a teenager, but he had steadfastly resisted. “They’re asking if I want to work with him,” she recalled him saying. “[But] I’d rather have rough hands [from manual labor] than join a gang.”

So when news broke last October that a large group of migrants was planning to head north from the city of San Pedro Sula, Espinal and a pair of friends rushed to join the caravan, calculating that there would be safety in numbers.

It was unprecedented for such a large number to set out together, and Espinal believed the caravan offered the perfect opportunity to escape. In the end, however, the violence that has plagued Honduras for more than a decade proved inescapable...

(continued in article)

They need to find more of this happening unfortunately to pull at the heart strings of people.  Only one example/death won't change peoples minds...

Something else.  The article says "violence plagued Honduras for more than a decade".  I can remember meeting people that fled from there 25 years ago.  It seems this has been going on for so long people might not know any better which is just horrible.

Take the wall money and put it into processing people faster, let them all in, yep all of them, but they aren't allowed benefits of welfare, let them find work and give them a probationary period to become a full time citizen.

Allowing them no benefits is harsh but would appease the right and them seeking out work would show that they aren't an anchor to the community.

Thoughts?
    So are you saying, anyone who shows up at the border let in?  
    They have to be vetted hence the more processing facilities.

Giving them entrance legally means that they can be tracked and pay taxes and all that good stuff too.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    For those who said that those in the caravan weren't really asylum-seekers, just people looking to scam the system in the US:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/13/nelson-espinal-death-deported-migrant-caravan-us-border-honduras

'A death sentence': migrant caravan member killed in Honduras after US sent him back

Fleeing threats, Nelson Espinal traveled to the US. One week after he was deported, he was shot dead

Several days after Nelson Espinal slipped across the US southern border, he called his family back in Honduras from inside a US detention center.

“Tell Mom not to worry – I’m applying for asylum,” Espinal, 28, told his sister Patricia, who recounted the December phone call with tears streaming down her sun-scarred cheeks. “We must pray to God that they give it to me. I told them I can’t go back to Honduras because if I go back, they’re going to kill me.”

Espinal had made the 4,900km journey with several thousand others who joined the migrant caravan in October in the hopes of starting a new life.

Within weeks of reaching the US, however, he was deported back to his gang-infested neighborhood in the Honduran capital Tegucigalpa – and the death threats that had prompted him to flee.

He resolved to try his luck again in the new year: head north, save his life and find a way to help his family and provide for his seven-year-old son.

But just over a week after his return, Nelson was shot dead on the street outside his home on 18 December 2018.

Despite a recent drop in homicide rates in Honduras and neighboring countries, Espinal’s murder is a sharp reminder that for many people in the region, the decision to migrate is one of life or death.

A ruling last June by the then US attorney general Jeff Sessions made it all but impossible for victims of gang violence like Espinal to obtain asylum. And as a new migrant caravan prepares to set off from Honduras on Tuesday, more will probably suffer the same fate.

Espinal lived with his parents, four sisters and son in a rough shack in the José Ángel Ulloa neighborhood. High in the mountains that cup the city centre, the area is dominated by the notorious MS-13 gang.

In cities across Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala, gangs terrorize residents into submission and recruit young people by force or coercion, promising “work” for youths who have little prospect of finding formal employment – and threatening death for those who refuse.

“When they get their eye on someone, they search them out again and again,” said Patricia Espinal.

The gangs had tried to recruit her brother since he was a teenager, but he had steadfastly resisted. “They’re asking if I want to work with him,” she recalled him saying. “[But] I’d rather have rough hands [from manual labor] than join a gang.”

So when news broke last October that a large group of migrants was planning to head north from the city of San Pedro Sula, Espinal and a pair of friends rushed to join the caravan, calculating that there would be safety in numbers.

It was unprecedented for such a large number to set out together, and Espinal believed the caravan offered the perfect opportunity to escape. In the end, however, the violence that has plagued Honduras for more than a decade proved inescapable...

(continued in article)

They need to find more of this happening unfortunately to pull at the heart strings of people.  Only one example/death won't change peoples minds...

Something else.  The article says "violence plagued Honduras for more than a decade".  I can remember meeting people that fled from there 25 years ago.  It seems this has been going on for so long people might not know any better which is just horrible.

Take the wall money and put it into processing people faster, let them all in, yep all of them, but they aren't allowed benefits of welfare, let them find work and give them a probationary period to become a full time citizen.

Allowing them no benefits is harsh but would appease the right and them seeking out work would show that they aren't an anchor to the community.

Thoughts?

Giving them entrance legally means that they can be tracked and pay taxes and all that good stuff too.
    I fail to see how letting everyone in who is properly vetted is going to work. You would have millions showing up at the border once people realized that as long as we get through the vetting process, we are in.  Good luck with that.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

(continued in article)

Thoughts?

I fail to see how letting everyone in who is properly vetted is going to work. You would have millions showing up at the border once people realized that as long as we get through the vetting process, we are in.  Good luck with that.  
    Back in the 1800's when people were coming over in droves they got here and went to work.  They had to.  There wasn't any welfare programs at that time which is why I wouldn't give them benefits at first.

Bringing more people into the US could start other parts of industry booming.

It could make for new towns to spring up and expand existing ones.

The one thing that could be a bust would be working off the books.  That can be prevented though by doing check ups of their progress.  If they don't show a work history then revoke their visa and off you go.

It's not full proof but if they don't find work then they get kicked out.  My idea is meant to start a conversation and not the end all be all but I am offering an idea.
  • Options

(continued in article)

Thoughts?

Back in the 1800's when people were coming over in droves they got here and went to work.  They had to.  There wasn't any welfare programs at that time which is why I wouldn't give them benefits at first.

The one thing that could be a bust would be working off the books.  That can be prevented though by doing check ups of their progress.  If they don't show a work history then revoke their visa and off you go.

It's not full proof but if they don't find work then they get kicked out.  My idea is meant to start a conversation and not the end all be all but I am offering an idea.
    The tough thing is that the kind of unskilled jobs that were needed in the 1800s are not needed anymore.  We don't need Chinese to dig canals.  We don't need Italians and Irish on the docks or in the factories.  The world has changed so much and unskilled labor is just reducing in value every year.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

(continued in article)

Thoughts?

The tough thing is that the kind of unskilled jobs that were needed in the 1800s are not needed anymore.  We don't need Chinese to dig canals.  We don't need Italians and Irish on the docks or in the factories.  The world has changed so much and unskilled labor is just reducing in value every year.  
    My idea isn't perfect and what you say is true but working at a McDonalds doesn't require much skill and from what I have read there are many a factory that hires unskilled labor like the chicken plants.

Hispanics have their own networking going on.  Why do you think that many of them live in the same communities?  They know where to find work.  I'd just like to see them do work on the books.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

(continued in article)

Thoughts?

My idea isn't perfect and what you say is true but working at a McDonalds doesn't require much skill and from what I have read there are many a factory that hires unskilled labor like the chicken plants.

Hispanics have their own networking going on.  Why do you think that many of them live in the same communities?  They know where to find work.  I'd just like to see them do work on the books.
    To be clear, I'm not arguing with your position.  I'm just a bit cynical about the prospects of new boom towns. The urban areas will only continue to grow with white color jobs.  
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683

mrussel1 said:

To be clear, I'm not arguing with your position.  I'm just a bit cynical about the prospects of new boom towns. The urban areas will only continue to grow with white color jobs.  
    Some interesting thoughts here guys.  This is such a hugely complex situation.  My own feelings are very mixed.  The compassionate side of me want to give refuge to everybody.  But how realistic is that?  Do we really want or need millions of more McDonald's employees when the product that company offers is both unhealthy for human consumption and destructive of rain forests in South America?  And what other alternatives are there for work for all these people?  Or if no work, does an ever weakening U.S. have the resources to put all these people on welfare? 

I can't help but think there has to be a way to help these people change the conditions where they already live.  But do I have such a plan in mind?  No, I have no idea how that would work.  I can only hope there are more savvy minds in this type of arena to come up with doable solutions. 

And maybe my thinking is influenced by where I live.  When I think about what California was like in the early to mid 50's when I was a kid and what it looks like now, I literally get very depressed.  The population of this state has turned it into an ongoing ecological disaster.  The influx and impact of humans into California is going to turn much of this state into an uninhabitable area as water becomes more scarce, towns are ravaged by wildfires and soils are depleted.  And I don't believe this is an exaggeration.  I'm a witness to the destruction of California. 

And what about places like Arizona and New Mexico?  Those states are arid and the populations there are already unsustainable for the near future.  Maybe Texas can absorb million of more people?  I don't know.  So I have to ask, will bringing more millions into the southern regions of the U.S. be good for people in the long run or set us all up for catastrophe? 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    This wall business has me fuming this morning.  That 6 billion dollars could go toward education, both here and south of the border.  Education is the key to solving so many problems.  That may sound over-simplified (and to a degree it is) but basically I think it's true.  But no, half this crazy country wants to use that money to build a stinkin' wall

I need a punching bag this morning.  Or maybe go out to the garage and break some shit.  :lol:

Naaah, I gotta get to work! 
    Well my state, CO, which has a teacher salary about 20% below the average, just voted down a very small tax increase that would increase education funding. It was something like 015% only to those who make over 100k. And it failed miserably. Wasn't even close. So that 5 billion won't be going to education. Parents don't want to fund their kid's education, but expect more and more from schools.
    Why don’t you move? Go somewhere else? Places the repubs tell you where the opportunity lies? Pick yourself up by the bootstraps? Yet, you don’t and you wonder, why?
    I moved out of California because of housing costs. I moved to Colorado over 7 years ago, and at the time it wasn't that bad. But we've had almost no raises since then, and what we have received in raises was eaten away by cost of insurance. For example we got a $400 raise last year, but then were told health benefits were going up by $50/month.
    And at this point moving would suck. I looked into it about 5 years ago, and when you look into public employees retirement they all got slashed from 2010-2012, I'd have to work until I was 70 in some states before I qualify for 50% retirement.
    My best hope is that Colorado figures out that they don't pay teachers and do something about it. After being flooded with teachers from California 10 years ago, we are now losing them left at right. The state was so close to a strike last year I can't imagine this going on much longer without big change. When teachers decide to do walkouts and parents are forced to take days off of work because they no longer receive that free childcare, maybe they'll vote for that 0.15% tax for education.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

Some interesting thoughts here guys.  This is such a hugely complex situation.  My own feelings are very mixed.  The compassionate side of me want to give refuge to everybody.  But how realistic is that?  Do we really want or need millions of more McDonald's employees when the product that company offers is both unhealthy for human consumption and destructive of rain forests in South America?  And what other alternatives are there for work for all these people?  Or if no work, does an ever weakening U.S. have the resources to put all these people on welfare? 

I can't help but think there has to be a way to help these people change the conditions where they already live.  But do I have such a plan in mind?  No, I have no idea how that would work.  I can only hope there are more savvy minds in this type of arena to come up with doable solutions. 

And maybe my thinking is influenced by where I live.  When I think about what California was like in the early to mid 50's when I was a kid and what it looks like now, I literally get very depressed.  The population of this state has turned it into an ongoing ecological disaster.  The influx and impact of humans into California is going to turn much of this state into an uninhabitable area as water becomes more scarce, towns are ravaged by wildfires and soils are depleted.  And I don't believe this is an exaggeration.  I'm a witness to the destruction of California. 

And what about places like Arizona and New Mexico?  Those states are arid and the populations there are already unsustainable for the near future.  Maybe Texas can absorb million of more people?  I don't know.  So I have to ask, will bringing more millions into the southern regions of the U.S. be good for people in the long run or set us all up for catastrophe? 
    Very well said.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

Yeah, I don’t think TX is in any condition to take that on and I would most definitely vote against anyone who suggested it, ha
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    This wall business has me fuming this morning.  That 6 billion dollars could go toward education, both here and south of the border.  Education is the key to solving so many problems.  That may sound over-simplified (and to a degree it is) but basically I think it's true.  But no, half this crazy country wants to use that money to build a stinkin' wall

I need a punching bag this morning.  Or maybe go out to the garage and break some shit.  :lol:

Well my state, CO, which has a teacher salary about 20% below the average, just voted down a very small tax increase that would increase education funding. It was something like 015% only to those who make over 100k. And it failed miserably. Wasn't even close. So that 5 billion won't be going to education. Parents don't want to fund their kid's education, but expect more and more from schools.
    Why don’t you move? Go somewhere else? Places the repubs tell you where the opportunity lies? Pick yourself up by the bootstraps? Yet, you don’t and you wonder, why?
    What is even more annoying is to properly fund education it averages out to only about $50 per person a year. Obviously those with lower income would pay less and those with more pay more, but that is almost nothing. $4/month and our facilities can be up to date and increase teacher pay to meet the national average.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

I'm guessing you are writing letters and calling your representatives to voice your opinion about this.  If so, great!  If not...
    I did last year. Participated in a walkout and voiced my opinion. Many teachers carpooled up to the capital,  Iwas not able to. But did voice it in other ways.
    I have not yet this year. Partially because all that uproar was the last few weeks of school and the momentum died. And also I am putting my efforts into other opportunities. Looking at teaching overseas for one. I think when nothing is being done to leave is one way to voice my opinion.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    I have three Werner ladders.  I guess I will be taking them to the dump this weekend since they can't get on the MAGA agenda. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    I have three Werner ladders.  I guess I will be taking them to the dump this weekend since they can't get on the MAGA agenda. 
    Don't take them to the dump. Utilize the first R of the three Rs of recycling and walk them across the border so some immigrant can reuse them. Don't take up valuable landfill space.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    Don't take them to the dump. Utilize the first R of the three Rs of recycling and walk them across the border so some immigrant can reuse them. Don't take up valuable landfill space.
    Ha!  touche.  That would be funny.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:

Ladders are going to prove to be very useful to Mexicans after the great wall of the US gets built.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    edited January 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    The first R is reduce ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:

Ladders are going to prove to be very useful to Mexicans after the great wall of the US gets built.
    No.. Tunnels man, tunnels.  They've been digging for years, hell, even El Chapo's crew knows how to dig!
  • Options
    Perhaps Trump was right...Mexicans will build the wall...have you seen a construction crew lately? I live in a new community and I'd say it's about 85-90% laborers that were either born in mexico or their parents were. And man - they get the job done but work very unsafely. The construction leaders in my neighborhood should be ashamed of themselves.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Perhaps Trump was right...Mexicans will build the wall...have you seen a construction crew lately? I live in a new community and I'd say it's about 85-90% laborers that were either born in mexico or their parents were. And man - they get the job done but work very unsafely. The construction leaders in my neighborhood should be ashamed of themselves.
    This is the big argument to hire union workers, the constant unsafe conditions but here in NY they are watched like hawks, not sure about other places?

• Options
    This is the big argument to hire union workers, the constant unsafe conditions but here in NY they are watched like hawks, not sure about other places?

You sure residential are watched like hawks?  

Construction has become a big sub-contractor business...so the construction company is just hiring a bunch of other companies to do the work.  And with each step away from a real company you get further away from safety.  I also helped manage a large construction project for work...we had extremely strict standards and expectations.  Still ended up having to walk people out for failing to meet safety standards (designed to protect them!).  Fall protection being the #1 reason.  No idea why some people take their lives for so little value.

As I was walking my home being built I saw a contractor use a board from a second floor room...laid across to a open area (would be window).  They used it as a walk way to carry drywall!  As they stepped it would tip up so they went slowly till their weight was more on the middle.  They did this while carrying drywall!!! I seriously thought I might see someone die.  I told the company that was building my house that this was not ok and they needed to ensure proper scaffolding.  But I've see it in our neighborhood and others still.  Mostly roof work.  Seriously scary. 

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

In my professional experience Union workers are often more safe...but not always.  Sometimes they are worse.  Foremen make all the difference.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

You sure residential are watched like hawks?  

Construction has become a big sub-contractor business...so the construction company is just hiring a bunch of other companies to do the work.  And with each step away from a real company you get further away from safety.  I also helped manage a large construction project for work...we had extremely strict standards and expectations.  Still ended up having to walk people out for failing to meet safety standards (designed to protect them!).  Fall protection being the #1 reason.  No idea why some people take their lives for so little value.

As I was walking my home being built I saw a contractor use a board from a second floor room...laid across to a open area (would be window).  They used it as a walk way to carry drywall!  As they stepped it would tip up so they went slowly till their weight was more on the middle.  They did this while carrying drywall!!! I seriously thought I might see someone die.  I told the company that was building my house that this was not ok and they needed to ensure proper scaffolding.  But I've see it in our neighborhood and others still.  Mostly roof work.  Seriously scary. 

The unions out here don't do the big residential/private buildings here in the city, all are non-union..  The little house in the suburbs are not watched but a bunch of companies have ramped up safety here.  More tying off, pump scaffolding and hardhats for roofing and siding now.

It's amazing the transformation.
  • Options
    For those that wonder about the challenges of improving society through democrtaic means in Central and South America to reduce the need for immigrtaion, look what happens in Mexico, right next door, in a farily prosperous counrtry, comparitively so:

In 2017, New York Times journalist Azam Ahmed revealed that the Mexican government was illegally using spyware to target the country’s most prominent human rights lawyers, journalists and anti-corruption activists.

He worked with independent forensic experts to analyze dozens of text messages, which were used as lures to install the spyware on targets’ phones. While reporting, he realized he’d received identical messages. “For months after, my phone often malfunctioned,” he said.

https://www.nytimes.com/subscription/multiproduct/lp8L4TR.html#mexico

The US should bear pressure on Mexico to improve and reward them when they do. But a rising middle class is a threat to any power structure anywhere. And therein lies the problem.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,283
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna959791
    evil administration the whole lot should be in jail all of them the whole family should be in jail ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....