Options

Are your 10C seats slowly getting worse? I think mine are.

know1know1 Posts: 6,763
edited May 2010 in The Porch
I've been a member since either 2001 or 2002. I went to my first show on 10C seats in 2003. Seats were on the side in the 5th row up. Member number is 254xxx. Since then, I've kept my membership current continually and been to 4 other shows.

Now you would think that you would slowly get better seats as members ahead of you let theirs lapse or whatever, but those seats to the first show were the best ones I've had.

I'll throw out the VFC show seats because I know that was a different process, but I've been to 2 other arena shows. At the first, I was halfway up the side (lower arena) and the second I was at the top of the side (lower arena).

I'm not complaining, but I'm just curious as to why my seats don't slowly improve?

I guess the lottery is an explanation, but since my number is 254xxx it shouldn't have a 100% impact.
The only people we should try to get even with...
...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Dissident67Dissident67 Posts: 565
    With tours getting smaller as the band gets older, more people have to travel to see the band, and these people that travel go to multiple shows. So out of the people that travel, it seems that a good proportion of them have been members of the fan club for a long time, and so lots of them have lower numbers. This I think is the main reason that people are seeing their seats get pushed back slightly.

And the lottery does push everyone who doesn't win and doesn't have seats in rows 3-8, back 4 rows.
    "Change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks"
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    2003 was a MASSIVE world tour.More shows, less ten club members per show.

Since then, the tours have become much shorter and smaller. This creates more fan club members at each show, due to lack of choices, thus your seats WOULD actually be getting worse.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    smaller tours more people with lower numbers traveling to shows
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996
    in 2003 they did it by blocks

And in 2008 the lottery began so everyone moved back 4 rows
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Hmmm...well I guess I didn't think of that. Of course part of the reason I've only seen them 4 times since 2003 (and 2 of those were last week) is because they haven't come very near me very often in that timeframe.

• Options
    theboxerorthebagtheboxerorthebag Posts: 1,774
    I have a number below 100,000 and I have been bumped back lately. Here is my take on it.

1)The lower your number, the less people that are actually ahead of you and so less people to forget to renew their membership. It is harder to move up than for people with higher numbers
    2)The lottery definately plays a part in it.
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:

Not 100% true. You only move back accordingly for everyone with a higher number than you who wins the lottery. It's not an automatic 4 rows.

• Options
    NoloadNoload Monticello, Georgia Posts: 1,630
    Lottery is part of it..and they play less shows, and announce them in small spurts which forces members from other cities to make a decision whether to see the band now, or hope for a future tour stop in their area. If you are in my area (the Southeast), you stopped hoping a long time ago. I've made trips to Cincy, Chicago, Indy, and Columbus that I wouldn't have made when they played, or at least announced, full tours. It's made it more expensive, and my seats have gotten worse even though my number is decent (109xxx). Still a good time, but PLAY THE SOUTHEAST!
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • Options
    Noload wrote:
    Lottery is part of it..and they play less shows, and announce them in small spurts which forces members from other cities to make a decision whether to see the band now, or hope for a future tour stop in their area. If you are in my area (the Southeast), you stopped hoping a long time ago. I've made trips to Cincy, Chicago, Indy, and Columbus that I wouldn't have made when they played, or at least announced, full tours. It's made it more expensive, and my seats have gotten worse even though my number is decent (109xxx). Still a good time, but PLAY THE SOUTHEAST!

Yeah, I'm in the SE too. I made trips to Cincy, Indy, Columbus and Toledo since 2004. In 2006 I thought for sure they would announce more shows closer, but nothing - so I hadn't seen them since Cincy in 2006.

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,154
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options

Well, that's pretty insightful.

Time for your meds again, eh?

• Options
    know1 wrote:

Well, that's pretty insightful.

Time for your meds again, eh?
    hello good sir.enjoy your day... :)
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    my number is 87,xxx. I got my best seats back in '96-98 (row 2-8 usually including MSG/Boston) This past tour i was generally sitting around 15 rows back. Unfortunately this is probably because all of the shows i usually go to are the biggest ones and due to reasons mentioned above.

I wish the tickets would move up each tour, and it is a bit peculiar to me, but im not one to complain about 15th row at a pj show (assuming it's not the floor of course :P )
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996
    know1 wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:

Not 100% true. You only move back accordingly for everyone with a higher number than you who wins the lottery. It's not an automatic 4 rows.
    well, if you're number is 254XXX, you will always be put back 4 rows for the lottery - unless you win it
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    :lol: I love Bazinga!! and I love that goofy laugh he does there Thank you D, made my day
    oh and yes please play the South!
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    :lol: I love Bazinga!! and I love that goofy laugh he does there Thank you D, made my day
    so ill give the best one!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skQGve3XksU
  • Options
    tacettacet Posts: 323
    I'm steadily moving back or up to the sides - but I guess they're trying to give all the 10c members an equal chance to get down close

it's funny how we all have this weird sense of entitlement! - I'll admit it, I'm a bit there with that - my friend won the lottery and ended up l sitting further back than he would have if the was no lottery

but there could be no 10c seating at all

in the end we all leave over the moon no matter where we sat

(I'm totally talking out of the side of my face here, I bitch until the lights go down)
    we're all sentient snowflakes
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    know1 wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:

well, if you're number is 254XXX, you will always be put back 4 rows for the lottery - unless you win it

Not if someone wins who would have been ahead of me anyway. The only way I move back is one seat for everyone who has a number greater than 254xxx who wins.

• Options
    share10 wrote:
    I'm steadily moving back or up to the sides - but I guess they're trying to give all the 10c members an equal chance to get down close

it's funny how we all have this weird sense of entitlement! - I'll admit it, I'm a bit there with that - my friend won the lottery and ended up l sitting further back than he would have if the was no lottery

but there could be no 10c seating at all

in the end we all leave over the moon no matter where we sat

(I'm totally talking out of the side of my face here, I bitch until the lights go down)

I don't have a sense of entitlement at all. Just wondering why something that should be improving seems to be getting worse.

If it gets much worse, it may make sense to just find other means to purchasing them.

• Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    pandora wrote:
    so ill give the best one!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skQGve3XksU
    perfect :lol::clap: :wave:
  • Options
    Not if someone wins who would have been ahead of me anyway. The only way I move back is one seat for everyone who has a number greater than 254xxx who wins.

everyone is automatically moved back two rows.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,283
    Yeah they have i use to allways get 1st row now i get 3rd :lol::lol::lol:
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220

Not necessarily, know1 has a valid point.
    Though incredibly unlikely, if every lottery winner at a show he attends is 253,xxx and below, the lottery hasn't affected him at all.
    Probaly for a mid range number like his the lottery actually will bump him back either 2 or 3 rows on average, statistically speaking, but theoretically it could bump him 4 full rows or not affect his location at all, and anything in between.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:

Not necessarily, know1 has a valid point.
    Though incredibly unlikely, if every lottery winner at a show he attends is 253,xxx and below, the lottery hasn't affected him at all.
    Probaly for a mid range number like his the lottery actually will bump him back either 2 or 3 rows on average, statistically speaking, but theoretically it could bump him 4 full rows or not affect his location at all, and anything in between.

but your 10C number will not secure you the first two rows unless you win the lottery. I understand what you are saying, but if you had a number that usually put you in the first two rows you have been moved back.
  • Options
    ohbigboyohbigboy Posts: 34
    seems like much ado about nothing. Since 2003 and VFC were different systems, we're talking about only two shows.
    Were they at the same venue? Was he in the same section but just a number of rows apart? We'll also never know how the lottery affected his seats. As he mentioned, he should only move back based on how many higher than 254xxx moved up since he'll always be behind row 10.

I'm 204xxx. Last year at Philly, I was lowers for shows 3 & 4 and was one section further away for Sat night. I was next to someone on Friday had two extra pairs of 10 clubbers between us on Sat. I all comes down to which members bought for that show and how many tickets were alotted for the 10c. the ticket allotment can be different from venue to venue
    Just waiting for my next show...
  • Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,910
    I am 251XXX, joined March 2002, never lapsed. My 2003 seats were fair-good at Irvine. I was over 1/2 way back but I was center, and Irvine was a bowl so nothing was blocking my view. In San Diego 2003, I was about 40 rows back on the floor and these were bad seats because I was unable to see. To me, going to a concert and not being able to see is bad. We had debates and 10c listened and acted. In 2006, the rear floor people went up the sides. At LA-1 2006, I was maybe 10 rows back and 1/2 way up the sides. Although I felt like I was viewing a party from the top of the building, I felt this was much better than San Diego as I was able to see. In LA 2009, the best of all worlds came together. I was resigned to the fact that the age-based policy had doomed me to never have a close seat absent the lottery. Pearl Jam played the Gibson Ampitheater which is a small venue to begin with, for 4 nights. But best of all, they said I could get 10c tickets for only 1 of the 4 nights. Because of that, and I didn't win the lottery, I was closer than I ever had been, ever! That changed my whole attitude. I really fealt bad before because of the 10c number I had, and it didn't seem I would ever get close. Now I have that good feeling that I was close at least once, and felt part of the "party", not an observer from afar.

I really liked the fact that I could only get one pair of 10c tickets. Maybe some kind of limitation like that, for example, X-number per tour or something, would help. I feel for the young people who are great fans but just young. No less fans. Doomed to poor seating. Sort of age based discrimination. It is a tough call because loyalty should also be rewarded. I am thankful that 10c listens and tries different things.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    pbultimatepbultimate Posts: 586
    I'll bite since I looked at my past tickets from 2003, 04 and 2006 last night. For those shows, I was within rows 5-8 (# 146###). All in the Ohio and surrounding states areas. Really became accustomed to those seats as it covered 10-12 shows. It was very predictable where we'd be sitting. Row 6 or 7 Stone's side, or Row 7-8 Mike's side.

For these past shows, Col, Indy, Cle, I was row 12, 16 and 12 respectively. Being a row 8'er, and add the 2 front lottery rows would put me at row 10, add 9/10 lottery and I am at row 12. No problem. I get it and that's fine. I did however think that over time, the seats would get a little better. People must be coming out of the woodwork or something else. Is row 3/4 really ALL 10club?

My brother is 100###, had row 2 dead center in both Col and Cle for the last 2 tours. This time around, he was row 5 more on the side then the center. His 2nd row seats were arguably the top 10 best seats in the house as I would argue 8-10 seats non-dead center front wow would be considered "worse" than 2nd row dead center.

Neither here nor there, but it is proof that something different happened with this tour. Probably a combination of a few things, but we'll never really know for sure.

Kevin
  • Options
    MB50486MB50486 Posts: 243
    My first 10c show was Pittsburgh 98. Sat 9th row center. Cleveland I was side stage 10th row. If I stay in the 10c 10 more years I may have to listen at the venue door
    I think that was one of the last tours that limited the number of shows you could go to. Solution. Go back to that. The more people with a 10c number higher than you who have the free time and or money to travel EVERYWHERE are taking the same good seat at every show. I'm in the northeast...with kids and family. So I'm basically limited to one or two shows per tour. So I'm getting bumped back. Sorry needed to vent
  • Options
    iamloco724iamloco724 Brooklyn NY Posts: 1,441
    i dunno..these will be my first 10c tix shows and i have a high number

but the way i see it is your tix shouldnt be getting that much worse just cause theres more members or the lottery..the fact is just cause theres more members doesnt mean more 10c is going there still that allotted amount that can only get tix

and one of the biggest factors people forget about when it comes to where your seats are at is who is actually getting tix if a bunch of extremely low numbered members are getting tix of course thats going to set other people back

thats how i see it i could be wrong but i dont think its getting worse its just a matter of these things plus the fact with smaller tours more people are traveling to shows
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    Mine have got better over the years and have seemed to level out to the same over the last four years or so. And I will say that I consistently see the same people around me at a lot of shows, so they’re obviously putting the numbers in order on a regular basis. And my seats suit me just fine. I couldn't be happier.