Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    Man do I wish Steve Cohen owned my team.  Guy just doesn't give a fuck about money.  Crazy.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,380
    The Angels org is such a failure - they have already wasted Mike Trout's prime and their farm system is dreadful.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,450
    Wobbie said:
    I love you guys! this hard core Giants fan kinda feels the same way.

maybe “we” get Ohtani….
    I don't know, man. Not to play complete devils advocate, and I didn't love the deal, but he was also the youngest free agent, but the Giants came into the offseason saying they wouldn't be outbid for Judge and then didn't end up with a single big name free agent...not great.
    I don’t think they WERE outbid for Judge….I think he just wanted the “aura and mystique.”

maybe Luciano will work out…kinda reminds me of how the Giants kept Aurilia down for Rey Sanchez and Shawon Dunston….when Aurilia finally got his chance, he was better than either (albeit, I think he was juicing, with the rest of baseball).
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    Very happy that Brantley is back with Houston.

They need to sign Tucker to a long-term deal.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    MayDay10 said:
    Wobbie said:

maybe “we” get Ohtani….
    I don't know, man. Not to play complete devils advocate, and I didn't love the deal, but he was also the youngest free agent, but the Giants came into the offseason saying they wouldn't be outbid for Judge and then didn't end up with a single big name free agent...not great.
    Itll pay off for them in the long run.  They showed a willingness to spend, and as a result, they really helped bid up some MLBPA members and their agents.  It'll earn them consideration in the future.

Short term?  Being stuck in the arms' race between Los Angeles and San Diego, it probably kind of sucks mentally.
    You're never going to get a star free agent in today's landscape without giving a deal that's going to be bad at some point during it. $300mil is table stakes, especially when it comes to a free agent in their 20s.  
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    mfc2006 said:
    Wobbie said:

maybe “we” get Ohtani….
    Would be awesome to see Ohtani in SF
    F U both.  Ohtani is staying in Anaheim.
    The Big A: Where superstars go to disappear into obscurity.
    Moreno is selling and then shit changes.  

Whomever buys them would want to hold onto the 2 greatest players in the game today.
  • Options
    The Angels org is such a failure - they have already wasted Mike Trout's prime and their farm system is dreadful.
    They had some ok guys and let them go.

I've said from the top down they need to clean house.  I am looking forward to how 22 pitchers drafted last year pan out.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,450
    mfc2006 said:
    Wobbie said:

maybe “we” get Ohtani….
    Would be awesome to see Ohtani in SF
    F U both.  Ohtani is staying in Anaheim.
    the writing is on the wall. he knows he’ll never win there.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,248
    Rest assured, the Mets will find a way to fuck it up next year. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,113
    Rest assured, the Mets will find a way to fuck it up next year. 

Bookmarked  ; )

I agree money doesnt guarantee post season wins, but I’m not sure what pissed off Uncle Steve more, getting slapped by Padres and Braves at end of the year, or Jake leaving without returning his calls. 

As much as I hate high inflation baseball salaries, if there is a fanbase in sports that deserves this extravagance it’s the Mets- suffering 35 years with terrible ownership while being little brothers to their cross town rivals over indulging decade after decade. No fan has suffered in person trash talk like Mets fans for so long.

As a fan I am excited to watch quality players while realizing it guarantees nothing in the postseason (if they make it).
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    I'm biased against the Mets, although I have a number of friends who are fans that I will be happy for if the garbage franchise can ever pull it together and actually win another WS.  

They'll screw it up, somehow.  

On the salaries, it seems Cliffy is correct in saying that big nabs now are likely to always contain bad back end years/$
      This sucks.  Sucks for the sport.  Widens the gab between the foolish owners who will spend anything and agree to dump money into their poorly run organizations (see Mets, above) and teams stuck with owners who don't want to spend.
    Rays, Reds, As, etc. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I say it every offseason.  They need a cap ceiling and floor, tied to revenue like every other civilized na pro league
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    MayDay10 said:
    I say it every offseason.  They need a cap ceiling and floor, tied to revenue like every other civilized na pro league
    Makes sense.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    MayDay10 said:
    They sure do.  And I'm a Phillies fan who went over the tax last year and will this year as well.  It's hard to imagine why anyone would be like a Pirates or Reds fan.  You just have almost no chance in today's world to compete. It sucks for those fans and cities.  It's just not a good long term model for the health of the sport.
  • Options
    I log on today and see billionaire owners, including Hal Steinbrenner, are whining about Cohen's spending. Get outta here and spend yourselves.
  • Options
    I'm biased against the Mets, although I have a number of friends who are fans that I will be happy for if the garbage franchise can ever pull it together and actually win another WS.  

On the salaries, it seems Cliffy is correct in saying that big nabs now are likely to always contain bad back end years/$
      This sucks.  Sucks for the sport.  Widens the gab between the foolish owners who will spend anything and agree to dump money into their poorly run organizations (see Mets, above) and teams stuck with owners who don't want to spend.
    Rays, Reds, As, etc. 
    This is literally history repeating itself.  Everyone said this after the Pujols and Arod deals.  None were given in a long time like that.  Enter new owners and BOOM.  We, rather they, forgot about the past.
  • Options

Rays, Reds, As, etc. 
    This is literally history repeating itself.  Everyone said this after the Pujols and Arod deals.  None were given in a long time like that.  Enter new owners and BOOM.  We, rather they, forgot about the past.

Hey F and tempo, as a met fan I completely get the salary frustration, no other fan base in all of American sport has to go to work, go to the office, the construction site… decade in and decade out and deal with yankee fans bragging and laughing. Or family bbq’s, or holiday parties, or everywhere…but

technically Correa switching last second from Giants to Mets actually helps balance the sport. Had he stayed with SF, he’d be earning about the same money, so the Mets are not driving up salary with this move and a SF signing there would be no transfer of tax monies, it would be a net outflow of $300M+ from the smaller payroll tier of MLB and no other team benefits

Since this is Uncle Steve out of control probably still raging about Jake not returning his calls, a 90% marginal tax is kicking in, half of that money going directly to the smaller payroll clubs and the rest going back to the players. None of that happens without Uncle Steve fighting back

haven’t the warriors proven this point already? Or the Wilpons? If the Mets still had their abysmal ownership they’d be wallowing around their usual 79 wins. Now, if healthy, are likely a 100 win team. Of course championships are more of a crapshoot, requiring more lightning in a bottle in addition to billion dollar payrolls.
  • Options

I think fans around the country need to understand the yankee and ny dynamic before trashing Steve Cohen. I ask all to put themselves in a met fan shoes. There is something unique about a two team market, and when the other team is “the greatest sports franchise of all time” (sorry Man U it’s not you) this system created Uncle Steve’s rage, and no fan base has suffered more personally and directly as the NY Mets.

this is unique in US sports, I say try to understand what it’s been like going to holiday parties the last 30 years before lumping this in with other big spending teams. Plus, Cohens money is now being showered to small market and all the other teams. Had Correa stayed inSF, none of that would happen.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,248

Rays, Reds, As, etc. 

Hey F and tempo, as a met fan I completely get the salary frustration, no other fan base in all of American sport has to go to work, go to the office, the construction site… decade in and decade out and deal with yankee fans bragging and laughing. Or family bbq’s, or holiday parties, or everywhere…but

technically Correa switching last second from Giants to Mets actually helps balance the sport. Had he stayed with SF, he’d be earning about the same money, so the Mets are not driving up salary with this move and a SF signing there would be no transfer of tax monies, it would be a net outflow of $300M+ from the smaller payroll tier of MLB and no other team benefits

Since this is Uncle Steve out of control probably still raging about Jake not returning his calls, a 90% marginal tax is kicking in, half of that money going directly to the smaller payroll clubs and the rest going back to the players. None of that happens without Uncle Steve fighting back

haven’t the warriors proven this point already? Or the Wilpons? If the Mets still had their abysmal ownership they’d be wallowing around their usual 79 wins. Now, if healthy, are likely a 100 win team. Of course championships are more of a crapshoot, requiring more lightning in a bottle in addition to billion dollar payrolls.
    In this division, 100 wins could actually get you third place. NL East is gonna be nuts next year.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    It could, but as a met fan, I’m grateful for those 100 wins, as frustrating as October might be. Even if we lose, he is showing up the Yankees. That might be worth a championship by itself, in this town anyway. Steven A, a yankee fan, did a funny rant with mad dog yesterday, wish I had a transcript …

https://youtu.be/WOgegAG6zaY
  • Options
    I can totally understand why you take the position you do....but I'll still lump the Mets in with the other big spending teams.  
    They are there.

I get why it is happening, just hold the opinion that it is not good for the league. 

Also, poor Mets fans should try being a fan of a team who doesn't spend money.  At least you have a chance to win consistently if you are run by a good organization.   Teams who don't spend need to be amazingly well run (Ray's, As) to be competitive with any level of consistency. 

• Options
    I can totally understand why you take the position you do....but I'll still lump the Mets in with the other big spending teams.  
    They are there.

I get why it is happening, just hold the opinion that it is not good for the league. 

Also, poor Mets fans should try being a fan of a team who doesn't spend money.  At least you have a chance to win consistently if you are run by a good organization.   Teams who don't spend need to be amazingly well run (Ray's, As) to be competitive with any level of consistency. 

You know what's bad for the sport? Billionaire owners taking in tons of luxury tax money, TV contracts and not caring about winning. Every one of these franchises are worth billions, care about winning.  Truly don't understand how this is a Steve Cohen problem and not a problem with every shitty owner in the league

Paying players is good for baseball. 
  • Options
    They are there.

You know what's bad for the sport? Billionaire owners taking in tons of luxury tax money, TV contracts and not caring about winning. Every one of these franchises are worth billions, care about winning.  Truly don't understand how this is a Steve Cohen problem and not a problem with every shitty owner in the league

I also understand this take from a Yanks fan.
    I don't disagree with the overall logic.  (Don't hate the players (In this case, owners), hate the game.)

The only counter is that the league is not forcing the owners to pay or sell to someone who will.  
    This is the problem.  
  • Options
    They are there.

It is, but I prefer the NFL balanced system. we as fans don’t get to write the rules. 

For most of my life, I’ve been a New Yorker rooting for small market teams (Mets and islanders). Not sure how fans in other cities can relate to that.  Over the last few years both teams were purchased by wealthier owners and the vibe of both teams have completely changed . It’s bizarre after so many years always looking at the yanks and rangers spending big money and their fans rubbing it in our faces, as always that they’re near the top of the standings. But here we are with new owners. I’d rather sports not be a capitalist competition but Donald Fehr never asked for my opinion

At least the MLB trying to redistribute excessive salaries to the other teams. Had Correa gone to SF, that wouldn’t happen.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    They are there.

I don't disagree with the overall logic.  (Don't hate the players (In this case, owners), hate the game.)

The only counter is that the league is not forcing the owners to pay or sell to someone who will.  
    This is the problem.  
    The other pro sports generally do a good job of opening the books a bit, sharing revenue, and creating a cap and a floor as a % linked to revenues.  This rewards good organizations including good drafting, development, and asset management.   It keeps the arms race under control, and also allows all teams a reasonable chance to keep their home grown star players.  6 or 7 teams soaking up all the star players guaranteeing $100s of millions of dollars in one swoop is not great for the long-term viability of the sport/league.  Couple that with the destruction of minor leagues and small-town baseball that means anything... baseball will be joining boxing and horse racing on the popularity scale in 50 years.

If you want to go full wild west, spend what you want... then scrap the whole thing and make the entire north american baseball universe a promotion/relegation system.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    They are there.

This is the problem.  
    Right, don't disagree with this either. At minimum, every luxury tax dollar should have to go to payroll with some base required.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    They are there.

This is the problem.  
    The other pro sports generally do a good job of opening the books a bit, sharing revenue, and creating a cap and a floor as a % linked to revenues.  This rewards good organizations including good drafting, development, and asset management.   It keeps the arms race under control, and also allows all teams a reasonable chance to keep their home grown star players.  6 or 7 teams soaking up all the star players guaranteeing $100s of millions of dollars in one swoop is not great for the long-term viability of the sport/league.  Couple that with the destruction of minor leagues and small-town baseball that means anything... baseball will be joining boxing and horse racing on the popularity scale in 50 years.

If you want to go full wild west, spend what you want... then scrap the whole thing and make the entire north american baseball universe a promotion/relegation system.
    I don't entirely disagree with this either, though I would much prefer the luxury tax to a hard cap.  Let teams go crazy, but it's going to hurt.  Cohen is going to have a luxury tax bill that's probably bigger than 20+ team's actual payrolls.  If a team is willing to take a hit like that, I don't have a problem with it.  I do like the idea of some sort of floor tied to revenue where it may not be the same for everyone.

And I'd also argue that big market teams being good is good for the overall popularity of the sport, though there is obviously a big regional impact to that too, but the Yankees (and Dodgers, Phillies, etc.) being good is good for baseball.

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    edited December 2022
    They are there.

This all sounds good in theory but the fact is plenty of small market teams don't get close to the revenues of the Yankees and other big market teams.  The Yankees local TV money dwarfs most other teams.  You just can't expect the Baltimore Orioles, Pittsburgh Pirates and Cincinnati Reds to be able to spend for contracts like the Yankees, Mets, Phillies (currently) and Dodgers do because they can't.   Let's be honest the luxury tax doesn't hurt those teams even a little bit.   That being said the Mets now have more money over the tax than some teams spend at all.  That to me is a problem as well. There should be a minimum cap.  You should have to spend to a certain low level.  

Again why would anyone be a fan of the Pirates, Reds or Orioles other than you grew up with those teams?  In today's climate they have barely above a zero percent chance to win a championship let alone a division.  I feel bad for those fan bases.  

Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    They are there.

Sorry to reiterate, but I know what it’s like having teams not spend money. It’s key to not forget Cohen was subject to the same cross town pressure as all Met fans, he knew their ownership was a fraud, yet could do nothing about getting the Mets respectable. Not only that, Zelig PROTECTED prior ownership for years after we all learned these people were never worth what they thought they were.

the system, championed by Fehr, created the phenomenon we just witnessed, Cohen watching the Mets get outspent by half the league for decades, let alone to the greatest of them *NYY* all at chatted up to us at the diner table and everywhere else. But Cohen did not overspend this year. In fact, he was outspent for deGrom, and out offered for Correa. And none of his signings were above FMV. Most experts rate the Senga deal as far under value.

and, a lot of met fans on the island are islanders fans, also for decades at the bottom of the salary stat. But those four cups helped.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    They are there.

This all sounds good in theory but the fact is plenty of small market teams don't get close to the revenues of the Yankees and other big market teams.  The Yankees local TV money dwarfs most other teams.  You just can't expect the Baltimore Orioles, Pittsburgh Pirates and Cincinnati Reds to be able to spend for contracts like the Yankees, Mets, Phillies (currently) and Dodgers do because they can't.   Let's be honest the luxury tax doesn't hurt those teams even a little bit.   That being said the Mets now have more money over the tax than some teams spend at all.  That to me is a problem as well. There should be a minimum cap.  You should have to spend to a certain low level.  

Again why would anyone be a fan of the Pirates, Reds or Orioles other than you grew up with those teams?  In today's climate they have barely above a zero percent chance to win a championship let alone a division.  I feel bad for those fan bases.  

The challenge is those three teams draw 17k a game, there just isn’t the revenue to support MLB. And can’t afford the chicken or egg which came first theory , the bottom line is 17k ain’t enough

Maybe it’s time to cut these teams home games by a quarter or third, and in the cold months, share the franchises with some Caribbean and/or SoAmerican cities. Builds excitement, international intrigue, and a way to try to sell some late winter travel ticket deals.