Comments

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    Apparent suicide per TMZ.

Sad news.

RIP
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    That's terrible news. My friend got his autograph before a game when he was playing for the Phillies. Said he was a nice guy. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Anyone think it was the roids that led up to this?
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Anyone think it was the roids that led up to this?
    First thing I thought of.  Sounds like a Chris Benoit case but without murdering the rest of his family first.
  • Options
    Manfred agrees to universal DH...  The stickler for the original rules of the game bothers me but I see how it's beneficial to the sport.

Only Ohtani and maybe McKay will hit now?
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    Manfred agrees to universal DH...  The stickler for the original rules of the game bothers me but I see how it's beneficial to the sport.

Fuck the DH.  Horrible way to play the game.  
  • Options
    If pitcher are no longer allowed to hit, can they go back to throwing complete games?
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,452
    pjhawks said:

Fuck the DH.  Horrible way to play the game.  
    agreed.

or, should I just say “greed”?

oh well, it got sloppi to the Hall.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    If pitcher are no longer allowed to hit, can they go back to throwing complete games?
    That would be nice. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    The universal DH was inevitable.  Might as well rip the bandaid off.

Personally, I dont like it, but it doesnt matter.  I appreciate the pitcher hitting and the strategy that surrounds that spot in the lineup.  I also hate Slow Pitch softball players hanging on too long to sit the bench and slug balls and limp to first base 4x a game.  IMO, the tradeoff with every player should be they need to play the field.  If you want the bat of someone like Sano, you should be tasked with finding him a place in the field... then yanking him when you feel you need a defensive replacement with a bent willow branch for a bat.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    These assholes still haven't figured this out yet????  Revenues are higher than ever for everyone and they're going to end up missing games.  Unreal.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,772
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Picked up a box of 2022 topps….fingers crossed lol
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,258
    They better get their act together soon. Purely anecdotal, obviously, but I am hearing nothing from anyone regarding baseball right now....

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/delayed-regular-season-apathy-could-send-mlb-to-very-bad-place/tnaubl1fp3yt8fevid5glsnd

Delayed regular season, apathy could send MLB to a very bad place

5 hours ago•7 min read
    Rob-Manfred-Getty-FTR-021722jpg

Baseball's annoyances and frustrations have produced myriad Chicken Littles and Boys Who Cried Wolf eager to proclaim the sport's demise. It's never come close to death, of course, but it's also easy to see that MLB is definitely not in the best shape of its life.

The latest evidence of this came Thursday, when the owners and the MLBPA met for just 15 minutes in their latest, sporadic collective bargaining talks at a time when spring training should be in full swing.

But it's not just that spring training is delayed while the owners keep the players locked during CBA negotiations. It's not just that there's a significant threat of losing regular-season games. It's not just that attendance and viewership are in decline. And it's not just that we saw a sad and sobering drug trial unfold in Los Angeles that possibly points to major issues within modern baseball's culture.

No one of those things is enough to kill a sport that's been around for the better part of two centuries. But taken together, all at the same time, they create a cancerous cocktail that's eating away at the sport's health. And while all those things are important and worthy of discussion and action, the lockout is MLB's biggest and most threatening co-morbidity at the moment.

FAGAN: MLB can't let lockout threaten Jackie Robinson Day

A sport can't get healthy if it doesn't exist. And until the owners lift the lockout, until a new CBA agreement happens, until players actually take the field, MLB basically doesn't exist. And in 2022's entertainment universe, there's no surer path to pop cultural hospice than an audience that has grown apathetic and is ready to move on.

Commissioner Rob Manfred has said that any lost games resulting from the lockout would be "disastrous." He's right. Call me Chicken Little if you want, but if MLB loses a significant number of games this season, it may never recover. That doesn't mean MLB would die, but it does mean it could be left in an emaciated state for which the long-term prognosis is bleak.

This lockout is happening at a unique point in history, so previous recoveries aren't necessarily the way things would go this time. There is no guarantee most fans would just forgive and forget the way they did after the 1994-95 strike. I don't think the owners or the players fully comprehend how quickly baseball could be replaced in many people's leisure priorities. 

I've written about the poll in December from Seton Hall University that showed interest in baseball already waning among people who describe themselves as die-hard sports fans. The same poll showed that a majority of the general public has no interest in MLB to begin with. These findings are not nothing, and it would be foolish for MLB to ignore them or take no steps to remedy them.

At the moment, the fate of the 2022 MLB season is mostly in the hands of the owners. They could choose to lift the lockout, start spring training, proceed with a March 31 Opening Day and continue negotiating with the players under the terms of the expired agreement. There is some precedent for this in MLB history, even after the 1994 strike. 

Of course, the counter is that the players could strike at some point this season and the owners don't want to risk it. Perhaps. But it's also possible that they could reach an agreement in April, May, June, July, August or September. At least games would be played in the meantime. At least fans would have something to enjoy. At least the sport would move forward.

MLB has reportedly told the players that Feb. 28 is the deadline for a CBA deal that would allow the regular season to start on time. And it was reported late Thursday that the two sides are likely to meet often, perhaps daily, starting next week. That's a good sign, but it doesn't mean a breakthrough is imminent. But there does seem to finally be some urgency, which is welcome, because starting the season on time, or very close to on time, is the only smart play if MLB hopes to regain a sense of health and attract new fans.

It's almost certain Major League Baseball will never literally die. But it can certainly become a third-tier entertainment option patronized only by die-hards and the occasionally curious ("It's TruTV, your home of the 2032 World Series!").

So what will the 2022 season ultimately look like? What's the magic number for maintaining any feeling of a normal year? On one hand, anything short of a full 162-game schedule is a massive failure. On the other, anything that feels close to normal would be welcome. But anything that feels far from normal — another 60-game season, or even an 80-game season — would be MLB stepping on yet another rake.

Each day the lockout lingers is another step toward an unpleasant place that offers no certainty of future prosperity.

Ultimately, a 2022 season truncated in any significant way would only grow the gap between MLB and a sports public that has increasingly found better ways to spend its time. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Not sure I agree with the guilty verdict in the skaggs trial….they were both addicts…skaggs paid, kay supplied.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    You know you have a lot of young diverse Stars in the MLB right now.  Last time this happened I didn't watch a game until Mark McGwire started hitting all those jacks and was traded mid season to St Louis.

If this happens again I don't think I'm coming back.  I'll watch fucking Cricket instead.  Go West Indies!
  • Options
    regarding jugg’s article:

fans DID NOT “forgive and forget” the 1994-95 strike….it took the Maris chase to bring it back….three years later.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    regarding jugg’s article:

fans DID NOT “forgive and forget” the 1994-95 strike….it took the Maris chase to bring it back….three years later.
    Yep, exactly.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    Yankees fans….retiring Paul O’Neil’s number? Really? Thoughts?
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    pjhawks said:
    Yankees fans….retiring Paul O’Neil’s number? Really? Thoughts?
    Who's next? Chuck Knoblauch?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Yeah, O'Neil is a pretty weak candidate for that kind of status.

Give him a bobblehead night.  Maybe put him in the team Hall of Fame even.  But I dont think anyone can look at the Yankees and get upset if they see anyone wearing 21 (if that was his number, lol).  
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    Yeah, dumb 
  • Options
    Matsui, Teixeira, hell, even Arod. But O’Neill is a head-scratcher. 
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,070
    Yeah, dumb 
    it's a cash grab like virtually anything else in baseball. 
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,317
    It's basically been retired by the fans the last 21 years. They gave the number to Latroy Hawkins. And the fans booed him. No one's worn the number since.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,317
    I wouldn't say head scratcher. He probably deserves it over Teixeira and Matsui. He was a big part of the Yankees getting back to their winning ways and the championships. Not that I'm saying it should be retired. But it's not like it's Alvaro Espinoza's number they're retiring 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    I wouldn't say head scratcher. He probably deserves it over Teixeira and Matsui. He was a big part of the Yankees getting back to their winning ways and the championships. Not that I'm saying it should be retired. But it's not like it's Alvaro Espinoza's number they're retiring 
    It lowers the bar.

Core 4 from that era get retired, no one else.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    edited February 2022
    They take a lot of liberties

Posada
    Maris
    Jackson
    Bernie
    Pettitte
    O'Neill

All probably shouldn't be retired, but they were all part of big moments/dynasties

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    So these assholes are really going to miss games it's looking like huh??  Great move for a league who's average fan is 57 years old.  Just unbelievable.