Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    I think the yankees could go up to 8/400 to keep it to 8 years.

And not saying he's going to stay healthy but he's not falling apart...he's played ~150 games the last two seasons
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    Yeah, strange to say a guy who has played in 157 out of 161 games and is a few BA points away from a triple crown is falling apart.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Yeah, strange to say a guy who has played in 157 out of 161 games and is a few BA points away from a triple crown is falling apart.

And not saying he's going to stay healthy but he's not falling apart...he's played ~150 games the last two seasons
    Can we look at how many games he's missed since his rookie year?  That is the only time he almost played a whole season and he missed 2 weeks then.  Every year after that he has had lengthy injuries.  This year he was healthy.

Usually players get worse after 30 with their bodies not better...
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,452
    here’s who I want to win the WS, from most wanted to least:

guardians, - last won one in 1948. I like their pudgy slugger. francona is a good dude.

astros - yes, bregman is annoying but dusty deserves one. plus, I’ll always have a soft spot in my heart for what they did to the d**gers.

blue jays - other than bichette’s kid, I like them.

mariners - good story but I do get tired of the “we KNOW griffey was clean.” you don’t KNOW shit.

rays - I guess….but they have no fans and TB really doesn’t need another title.

braves - just to see freddie cry some more. but I really do hate their tomahawk chopping fans and an organization that moves to the suburbs just because their fanbase might be a little too “urban.”

phillies - nothing against them but, oh, our “philly guys.”

mets - like the team; can’t stand their “smartest guy in the room” manager. he’s right up there with maddon and TLR.

cardinals - don’t think I can take any more poo holes slurpage.

yankees - cliffy is a cool dude but they can stay at “27, bro.” plus, boone is annoying.

padres - fuck that paid for team.

LA cocksuckers - where do I start? they’ve been trying to buy a ring since 1988. it’s the LA way (rams, lakers). a totally hateable lineup, with the exception of kershaw. j. turner, t. turner, muncy, taylor, bellinger, kimbrel, may are all assholes. mookie and freddie are only OK because they didn’t come up in the system. speaking of mookie, a special “FUCK YOU!” to the red sox for continually sending your stars to LA. shitty, bandwagon fanbase. please, please, please let the 34 year drought continue.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Wobbie said:

guardians, - last won one in 1948. I like their pudgy slugger. francona is a good dude.

astros - yes, bregman is annoying but dusty deserves one. plus, I’ll always have a soft spot in my heart for what they did to the d**gers.

mariners - good story but I do get tired of the “we KNOW griffey was clean.” you don’t KNOW shit.

braves - just to see freddie cry some more. but I really do hate their tomahawk chopping fans and an organization that moves to the suburbs just because their fanbase might be a little too “urban.”

mets - like the team; can’t stand their “smartest guy in the room” manager. he’s right up there with maddon and TLR.

yankees - cliffy is a cool dude but they can stay at “27, bro.” plus, boone is annoying.

LA cocksuckers - where do I start? they’ve been trying to buy a ring since 1988. it’s the LA way (rams, lakers). a totally hateable lineup, with the exception of kershaw. j. turner, t. turner, muncy, taylor, bellinger, kimbrel, may are all assholes. mookie and freddie are only OK because they didn’t come up in the system. speaking of mookie, a special “FUCK YOU!” to the red sox for continually sending your stars to LA. shitty, bandwagon fanbase. please, please, please let the 34 year drought continue.
    We know Griffey was clean
    Oh and go Phil's, go Blue Jays
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    P.S. fuck manny machado.

and, F’me? you don’t KNOW shit. :wink:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Wobbie said:
    P.S. fuck manny machado.

and, F’me? you don’t KNOW shit. :wink:
    We know, Wob, we know!  😆 
  • Options
    Poncier said:

Can we look at how many games he's missed since his rookie year?  That is the only time he almost played a whole season and he missed 2 weeks then.  Every year after that he has had lengthy injuries.  This year he was healthy.

Right but per usual your statement was something outrageous and completely inaccurate. Will is body breakdown? Maybe…probably…is it now as you stated? No, he’s played almost every game for 2 years straight 
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

I agree with approximately 67.45% of this but it all sees fairly reasonable. We do not know Griffey was clean, so agreed 
  • Options
    No way Griffey was clean.
    Just look at his numbers. HR's are a near perfect bell curve showing when roids kicked in and when he got off them. Plus, his body (unlike Aaron Judge) broke down in the exact ways steroid users' bodies break down.
    He was just nice to the media and smiled so they left him alone unlike Surly Bonds.
  • Options
    Poncier said:

Right but per usual your statement was something outrageous and completely inaccurate. Will is body breakdown? Maybe…probably…is it now as you stated? No, he’s played almost every game for 2 years straight 
    I talk with exaggeration, I'm part Irish so I get to embellish for dramatic effect, something that is lost on your black and white look on life...

"Almost" isn't all of them.  I'm a Trout fan, If he "almost" finished this whole season he would have 50 something homers. If Buxton could "almost" finish a season, he would be an MVP candidate every year.

I would love to be wrong about him but if I was a GM you look at the history.  This season, because of what he accomplished, will get paid.  I changed my mind though and don't think it will be in pinstripes.  

DJ had a breakout season, got paid and hasn't been the same since. Same with Severino.

It will be an interesting off season but I will enjoy him for now.

• Options
    Poncier said:
    Just look at his numbers. HR's are a near perfect bell curve showing when roids kicked in and when he got off them. Plus, his body (unlike Aaron Judge) broke down in the exact ways steroid users' bodies break down.
    He was just nice to the media and smiled so they left him alone unlike Surly Bonds.
    I think it was after running into that wall he was never quite the same again.  He never had another GG after leaving Seattle. Nagging Hamstring problems.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    :hug:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Mantle's body broke down kind of the same way. We all know that was alcohol though.
  • Options
    Get outta here with that Junior malarkey.  Damn Big Sloppi and Bonds fans telling us what is what.
    ;)
    :lol:  
  • Options
    Get outta here with that Junior malarkey.  Damn Big Sloppi and Bonds fans telling us what is what.
    ;)
    I always bring up that Wade Boggs hit like 27 HR in 86 or 87.  That was HUGE back then.  No way did that dude do steroids.
  • Options
    ;)
    I always bring up that Wade Boggs hit like 27 HR in 86 or 87.  That was HUGE back then.  No way did that dude do steroids.
    But the Perdue chicken he ate might have been on steroids
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    ;)
    But the Perdue chicken he ate might have been on steroids
    Fo sho but it didn't translate to a banned substance back then...

I went back and looked at his numbers.  Dude was on fire up until 34 then hung around and still played good ball but not balls out like the first 10 years most of these guys do.

Again, Goldy is the only player at an elite level over 35...
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,380
    This postseason is going to be fun as hell to watch. Obviously, hoping that the Astros win it all, but it will not be easy. There are 5-6 teams that could really make a run at the title.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    This postseason is going to be fun as hell to watch. Obviously, hoping that the Astros win it all, but it will not be easy. There are 5-6 teams that could really make a run at the title.
    I think it comes from the NL.  You have 2 juggernaughts in Mets and Braves, then there is LA again, yeah we know Wob, fuck them so I really think it's between them.

I would love for the Jays and Mariners to make a deep run.  Those are 2 young and exciting teams to watch.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Agreed on the Jays or Mariners.  Indians/Guardians is a really cool young vibe too (and Im a fan)
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    Agreed on the Jays or Mariners.  Indians/Guardians is a really cool young vibe too (and Im a fan)
    Guardians are on no ones radar.  They have some fun players too.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,380
    MayDay10 said:
    Guardians are on no ones radar.  They have some fun players too.
    Yup. They could definitely make some noise.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    ABTD!!!! :prayer:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    ABTD!!!! :prayer:
    About to die?

or

Atlanta Beat The Dodgers?

or

Angry But Too Dope?
  • Options
    Anyone but the dodgers
  • Options
    Anyone but the dodgers
    Figured it was something a;ong those lines.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Jays are a bunch of dorks.  The day after they got eliminated from the division, and the Yankees had their hangover +Judge lineup in, they were losing 3-0 to the Yanks, came back and tied and we're acting like the tied game 7 of the ALCS.  Then went on to lose.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,852
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    trivia:

who are the only two active MLB players with 3 WS rings?
    Is Gore still active?
    Winner winner chicken dinner! Has played 110 MLB games over the last 8 years. One RBI, zero HR. Rings with 2015 Royals, 2020 cocksuckers and 2021 Braves. Could win another this year with the Mets.

the robert horry of MLB (but not as good).

who's gore? when i googled the answer to the question it came up Sergio Romo. Who won 3 W.S rings with the Giants and is now pitching for the Blue Jays
    Romo was with the Jays but he’s now in the mexican league. dude must really love to pitch.
    Oh wow, didn’t know he went to the Mexican league.

The website that said to I didn’t even have Gore listed.
    https://www.statmuse.com/mlb/ask/active-players-with-the-most-rings
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,317
    ;)
    Boggs could have hit 20-30 hrs if he wanted to. He focused more on average instead of swinging for the fences. 
    I miss igotid88