MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,961
    cutz said:
    I know it's not MLB but thought I'd Posy here:

Sasaki dominated Orix hitters using a wide array of pitches, including a fastball routinely topping 100 mph, a devastating splitter, and his signature forkball. He needed just 105 pitches to complete the masterpiece, which also included a run of 13 consecutive strikeouts.

Saw that on the news.  Dude was killing it.

Has there been a successful pitcher from Japan yet to come over here and have more than a few good years?  Nomo and Tanaka had a few good years.  

Daiske stunk. Hideki wasn't that good either.

Yu Darvish maybe?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,614
    Nomo was good for more than a few, wasn't he?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,829
    Surprised no team is undefeated or winless this early in the season. I wonder if that is the earliest that has happened?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,829
    Clayton Kershaw pulled in the 7th inning while pitching a perfect game. I get why they did it, but still... :neutral:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,724
    Clayton Kershaw pulled in the 7th inning while pitching a perfect game. I get why they did it, but still... :neutral:
    I don't. If their reasoning is because they keep guys on pitch-counts these days and it was time for him to leave the game, then it's just another example of how shitty baseball has become. There's only been 23 perfect games in MLB history. Leave him in to try and finish it. And if the he has to miss his next start because he pitched too much (as pathetic as that sounds), then so be it. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,614
    To me, it is about winning, not personal glory.  If they align, great.  If you are worried that a dude who recently has consistent arm issues at the tail end of his career did not have full spring training or for any reason might hurt his ability to throw throughout the year....yank him.

To me, it is about winning, not personal glory.  If they align, great.  If you are worried that a dude who recently has consistent arm issues at the tail end of his career did not have full spring training or for any reason might hurt his ability to throw throughout the year....yank him.

You know Kershaw agreed to come out.  There is no way he would have allowed that if he didn't think it was right.

You know Kershaw agreed to come out.  There is no way he would have allowed that if he didn't think it was right.
    Agree.  His arm has been suspect the past few years. 
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,724
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    I don't like the uniforms...

It's an unwritten law, boo.  Do it and get n=beaned.  No big deal.  Just no chin music.  Who cares.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,215
    edited April 2022

I mean, he was only at 80 pitches. They were up 6-0 after the top of the 8th. The game was not at risk. His health at 80 pitches was not at risk.
    How do you not send him out, see if he can get a quick 10 pitch 8th then go for the perfect game? If he gives up a hit, you pull him.

80 pitches. You're telling me guys can't throw 100 pitches anymore when they have the next 4 days off?
    This weekend we rock Portland
    edited April 2022
    Poncier said:

I mean, he was only at 80 pitches. They were up 6-0 after the top of the 8th. The game was not at risk. His health at 80 pitches was not at risk.
    How do you not send him out, see if he can get a quick 10 pitch 8th then go for the perfect game? If he gives up a hit, you pull him.

80 pitches. You're telling me guys can't throw 100 pitches anymore when they have the next 4 days off?
    It is only my opinion but it is Kershaw.  He has nothing left to prove.  If he asks to stay out I consider it but he is arm injured every year now and almost every pitcher was on a pitch count to start the season.  Going 100 with candy arm (at this point) to chase a personal glory stat is not something I do.
    Check and see how many putchers threw even 90 pitcher their first start this year.  Gonna guess it is a very low number.  Rag arm doesn't do it, if I'm Manager.  I'd rather keep him on a short leash all year long and run him in the playoffs.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,447
    Poncier said:

I’m with Poncier…80 fucking pitches….and if he blows out his arm, that’s a bonus!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited April 2022
    Wobbie said:
    Poncier said:

I’m with Poncier…80 fucking pitches….and if he blows out his arm, that’s a bonus!
    Ha.  That's just your Dodger hate.  The comments about 80 pitches and guys can't throw 100 ignores the truncated spring training and limited approach pretty much every team took this year to first starts.
    Wobbie said:
    Poncier said:

Ha.  That's just your Dodger hate.  The comments about 80 pitches and guys can't throw 100 ignores the truncated spring training and limited approach pretty much every team took this year to first starts.
    1990  Third game.  California Angels.

Michael Atwater Witt, the tallest baseball player at the time combines a no hitter w Mark Langston.

Hey, it happens.  Langston felt like he was losing it.
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    I couldn’t believe they sent Cabrera home on the tag up, he made it safe, with a decent slide too! Had me cracking up!

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,204
    Buxton going for an MRI. The guy is made of glass. What a joke.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    Joe Maddon is the absolute worst 
    cliffy - I was watching the end of your yankees game….I was drinking and the sound was off but the ump seemed clueless on the strike zone in that last AB.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,375
    tbergs said:

Yeah, not good. Damn.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Hunter Greene is filthy.
    Hope the kid can keep it rolling.
    tbergs said:
    Jesus again?  This was a quicker exit than last year.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,416
    edited April 2022
    cutz said:
    I know it's not MLB but thought I'd Posy here:

Sasaki dominated Orix hitters using a wide array of pitches, including a fastball routinely topping 100 mph, a devastating splitter, and his signature forkball. He needed just 105 pitches to complete the masterpiece, which also included a run of 13 consecutive strikeouts.

Almost did it again:

(Article in the Tweet)

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,190
    Anyone see the Orioles tweet from the other day mocking Yankees fans?   It said "Tough weekend for Yankees fans, lost 2 out of 3 to the O's and Lakers didn't make the playoffs."  I chuckled.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Yes, apparently the team of that kid who was assaulted is really getting screwed.  By rule, all those players who left the bench there are suspended for 2 games.  They play the next 2 games against that same team and will forfeit because that is every player except for 2.  They were winning this particular game, but the umpire called it after this and nobody won.
    edited April 2022
    Well why on earth did that pitcher tackle, piss poorly I might add, that batter?

Edit.  The title says the pitcher "levels" him.  Horseshit.  He bounced right off him to the ground.  That runner was still standing and the pitcher flopped right in front of him.
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
    pjhawks said:
    Anyone see the Orioles tweet from the other day mocking Yankees fans?   It said "Tough weekend for Yankees fans, lost 2 out of 3 to the O's and Lakers didn't make the playoffs."  I chuckled.
    That’s awesome.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Reds are undefeated and in 1st place in MLB standings!!! Home field throughout playoffs is looking great.

:lol:

Gonna be a long season, I suspect.
    Kreskin.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    Reds are undefeated and in 1st place in MLB standings!!! Home field throughout playoffs is looking great.

:lol:

Gonna be a long season, I suspect.
    Kreskin.
    2-2 to start
    Have not won, since.