MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Congrats Crime Dog!!!
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Even worse, they never win

They would be better off signing Mattingly

He might finally be able to put up HoF numbers in that ballpark.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Congrats Crime Dog!!!
    Very well deserved - one of my favorites growing up
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    Mattingly was 2nd
    I miss igotid88
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    igotid88 said:
    Mattingly was 2nd
    First loser I believe is the saying.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Loved McGriff as a kid. Back when hitting 30+ homers for 7 consecutive seasons was a big deal. Probably my favorite before Griffey became the star of the 90's.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    Poncier said:
    igotid88 said:
    Mattingly was 2nd
    First loser I believe is the saying.
    At least he's first
    I miss igotid88
    Verlander to the Mets 2 years 86 mil. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    So obviously the Mets didn't want to pay for DeGrom for more than three years at most.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Tom Emanski is likely almost as proud as he was when his training videos produced BACK TO BACK TO BACK AAU NATIONAL CHAMPIONS. 

https://youtu.be/2T-TYMPQSbE
    chinese-happy.jpg
    So obviously the Mets didn't want to pay for DeGrom for more than three years at most.
    Probably because he hasn't been healthy the last 2 years 
    I miss igotid88
  • So obviously the Mets didn't want to pay for DeGrom for more than three years at most.
    No he wanted out.  He didn't even give the Mets a chance to counter.  He just signed.

So, the F U to DeGrom is to give Verlander all that money.
    Not surprised that JV moved on. Very thankful for the way he pitched for the Astros & wish him the best with the Mets. Houston has a strong rotation & that money will be used elsewhere.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    edited December 2022
    No he wanted out.  He didn't even give the Mets a chance to counter.  He just signed.

He got more guaranteed years and money. I think it's pretty easy to figure out. Verlander is getting less money than DeGrom, even if his 3rd year vests.
    Ha just realized DeGrom isn't done getting paid by the Mets, either. He'll collect $52M between the ages of 47 of 51.
    Ha just realized DeGrom isn't done getting paid by the Mets, either. He'll collect $52M between the ages of 47 of 51.
    Oh good, we can replace Bobby Bonilla day with Jacob Degrom day!
    Seems like what will eventually be another bonehead Mets move. JV is a great pitcher, but he's 39 and 2 years removed from TJ surgery. Plus, I don't think history has fared well on this other tidbit Verlander shares with a select few:

Verlander is the sixth reigning Cy Young winner to sign with a new team as a free agent. The others:

Maddux obviously did fine long after and Catfish had 1 more stellar year, but they were all 10 years younger too. Good luck struggling for a wild card spot.
    I think the Mets will Mets it specifically because they're the Mets.

Beyond that I think one year of Verlander at 40 years old is reasonable for the return. It's everything after that. Looking at it - the guy is pretty legendary at this point. Not trying too hard here but I feel like the only comp is Nolan back in the day? And he was on another level between performance and longevity. 
    Trea Turner to the Phillies
    I miss igotid88
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    igotid88 said:

chinese-happy.jpg
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    edited December 2022
    tbergs said:
    Seems like what will eventually be another bonehead Mets move. JV is a great pitcher, but he's 39 and 2 years removed from TJ surgery. Plus, I don't think history has fared well on this other tidbit Verlander shares with a select few:

Verlander is the sixth reigning Cy Young winner to sign with a new team as a free agent. The others:

Maddux obviously did fine long after and Catfish had 1 more stellar year, but they were all 10 years younger too. Good luck struggling for a wild card spot.
    Randy Johnson?

NVMD.  Johnson and Clemens went to new teams and got Cy Youngs.
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • So obviously the Mets didn't want to pay for DeGrom for more than three years at most.

He got more guaranteed years and money. I think it's pretty easy to figure out. Verlander is getting less money than DeGrom, even if his 3rd year vests.
    Again...  He NEVER, Degrom, gave the Meats a chance to counter.  He took the Rangers deal and ran out of town.  DeGrom did not want to be in NY anymore.  That is pretty easy to figure out.
  • igotid88 said:
    Hell of a pick up for them wow!

Again...  He NEVER, Degrom, gave the Meats a chance to counter.  He took the Rangers deal and ran out of town.  DeGrom did not want to be in NY anymore.  That is pretty easy to figure out.
    The Mets gave less money to Justin Verlander than Jacob deGrom received from the Texas Rangers.
    Turner is a game changer for Philly. Congrats to all of the Philly fans!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com

The Mets gave less money to Justin Verlander than Jacob deGrom received from the Texas Rangers.
    Only because of his age. JV getting more per year
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:

Right - and vice versa JV would not get 5 years at that AAV. At the end of the day deGrom got more guaranteed money, which is dependent on years, which the Mets were obviously not going to do.
    igotid88 said:

Right - and vice versa JV would not get 5 years at that AAV. At the end of the day deGrom got more guaranteed money, which is dependent on years, which the Mets were obviously not going to do.
    If he was 34 he might. They gave Scherzer $43 million a year for 3 at 37 years old.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:

If he was 34 he might. They gave Scherzer $43 million a year for 3 at 37 years old.
    Most likely. I'm sure the Mets would have been fine giving deGrom the Scherzer deal. The Mets are fine paying guys higher AAVs for less years, especially those with a sketchy injury history. Scherzer's 3/129 isn't the 5/185 deGrom got. Point I'm making is the idea that deGrom high tailed it out of New York because he wanted out of New York is nonsensical. He high tailed it out of New York because evidently no one else was giving more guaranteed money to a guy that hasn't been able to stay healthy, other than the Rangers.
    igotid88 said:

Rangers are another organization I just scratch my head at.