Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,313
    Poncier said:
    Dud peaked at 28 percent votes on HoF ballot.
    The Contemporary Committe put him on this year cause one of the members reads this forum and wanted to have a good chuckle.
    This isn't his first time. And he stayed on the ballot for as long as you were allowed to. Most don't even make it past the first year.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Just caught up and wanted to share my opinion that Randall Cunningham at his peak was better than Donald Mattingly at his peak.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Randall was doing things nobody had done before.....
    Mattingly was another really good player.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    edited December 2022
    For years I’ve always found myself smack dab in the middle of these Cunningham/Mattingly debates. 
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,251
    For years I’ve always found myself smack dab in the middle of these Cunningham/Mattingly debates. 
    It's the age old question: Randall Cunningham or Don Mattingly?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    You tell me - 1990 sports impressions face-off:

One is way cooler.

Also, Donald looks like his back hurts.
  • Options
    @wobbie what do you think?
  • Options
    Man this is good stuff!  Based on ID88's logic Prince Fielder should be in the HOF too?
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    DewieCox said:
    I always thought Rolen should get more consideration but his numbers aren’t there for me for as injury free as he remained. Wouldn’t be the worst inclusion though. 
    Yea. Nice player but nothing outstanding. I guess his WAR will get him in. 
    I don't think there is anyone with a 70 WAR not in the hall?
    ARod, Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds
    Palmiero?

500HR and 3000H.  Yeah he took juice, so what.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,450
    the mattingly is the better statue but randall is more HOF worthy. I kinda hated him since he played for the iggles but he’s probably UNLV’s most famous FB alum….too bad they had to forfeit all the wins in his senior season!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    Man this is good stuff!  Based on ID88's logic Prince Fielder should be in the HOF too?
    The Burger King Hall of fame.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    The Burger King Hall of fame.
    That was a good one!
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,251
    Wobbie said:
    the mattingly is the better statue but randall is more HOF worthy. I kinda hated him since he played for the iggles but he’s probably UNLV’s most famous FB alum….too bad they had to forfeit all the wins in his senior season!
    https://youtu.be/BpWPKktFjlo
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    Is Albert Belle not in the Hall of Fame because he was a dick?  I think he should be in for sure.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,977
    edited December 2022
    pjhawks said:
    Is Albert Belle not in the Hall of Fame because he was a dick?  I think he should be in for sure.
    Not even close.  He had a few good years but not a great career.

I need to edit this so it doesn't sound like he stunk.  He had 9 good years.  He needed a few more.  He was good in the 90's and then just seemed to walk away.
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • Options
    Wasn't he a skinny dude....until he wasnt?
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Wobbie said:
    Yeah, as a fan I loved Cunningham.  Now, living in the Philly area, the jerseys I like to see at the games are the Kelly Green Cunninghams.
    Dude was a badass.
    The day before Thanksgiving NFL network had an only Thanksgiving day game between the Cowboys and Vikings going.  Randy Moss rookie year.  You know what that meant...some RC moon shots to RM.
    He wasn't a super runner any longer but dude had arm, all day long.  All day.

Who was better:
    Don Mattingly
    Or
    Kirby Puckett

???

• Options
    Wobbie said:
    Yeah, as a fan I loved Cunningham.  Now, living in the Philly area, the jerseys I like to see at the games are the Kelly Green Cunninghams.
    Dude was a badass.
    The day before Thanksgiving NFL network had an only Thanksgiving day game between the Cowboys and Vikings going.  Randy Moss rookie year.  You know what that meant...some RC moon shots to RM.

Who was better:
    Don Mattingly
    Or
    Kirby Puckett

???

That's a good one.

I am still shocked that Puckett is in.

It's a push.  Neither one is better than the other.  If you had to do a tiebreaker Mattingly has the MVP.
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Dude was a badass.

Who was better:
    Don Mattingly
    Or
    Kirby Puckett

???

That's a good one.

It's a push.  Neither one is better than the other.  If you had to do a tiebreaker Mattingly has the MVP.
    I'm shocked that you're shocked by this. I'd be more inclined to argue for Mattingly being in the HOF than I would to argue that Puckett shouldn't be. Though I personally wouldn't make either of those arguments. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Dude was a badass.

Who was better:
    Don Mattingly
    Or
    Kirby Puckett

???

That's a good one.

Subjective of course but I go Puckett.
    2 WS rings trumps the 1 MVP.  Puckett was a huge part of that.
    Also, he was huge.  Huge drinker.  Huge personality. 
    He even had a silly drinking game named after him that my brother always wanted us to play.

• Options
    His liver hurt.
    Liver trumps back.
  • Options
    Yeah, the 2 rings (plus an ALCS MVP) for Kirby trump Donnie Backache's 1 league MVP.

Their career stats otherwise are pretty similar, but being a winner is important.
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Dude was a badass.

Who was better:
    Don Mattingly
    Or
    Kirby Puckett

???

That's a good one.

I'm shocked that you're shocked by this. I'd be more inclined to argue for Mattingly being in the HOF than I would to argue that Puckett shouldn't be. Though I personally wouldn't make either of those arguments. 
    When he first was up for it I couldn't believe he got in.  His numbers do not support it.

He was beloved by everyone though.
  • Options
    The World Series is a team accomplishment. So it shouldn't hinder someone's chances. MVPs are not determined by what a player does in the post season
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    You could make a case for Albert Belle. Whether he was juicing or not. I don't know. 
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    And the all-time greats have the ability to carry their team to some level of post season success, not one losing series over an entire career for the winningest franchise in history.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    And the all-time greats have the ability to carry their team to some level of post season success, not one losing series over an entire career for the winningest franchise in history.
    So Ernie Banks doesn't belong in the Hall then?
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    There's only so much a guy can do in baseball though. Look at Ken Griffey Jr. If he can't carry his teams to post-season success, there's no chance someone like Mattingly could.

For Hall of Fames, I'm big on crediting guys for their post-season success (Curt Schilling for example), but I don't take away from someone that doesn't have any. So in the Mattingly/Puckett comparison, I wouldn't move Mattingly down any notches for having little post-season success, but I'd bump Puckett up for having it...if that makes sense. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    . So in the Mattingly/Puckett comparison, I wouldn't move Mattingly down any notches for having little post-season success, but I'd bump Puckett up for having it...if that makes sense. 
    Makes perfect sense and pretty much encapsulates my viewpoint here.

2 borderline at best candidates. One has postseason success, bumps up enough to get in. The other has none, stays on the outside where he belongs.
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Poncier said:
    So Ernie Banks doesn't belong in the Hall then?
    If Donnie Backbreak had hit over 500 HRs he'd be in. Ridiculous comparison