Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Tony LaRussa as manager of the White Sox.  I did not expect that.  Fear the White Sox.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    Tim Anderson and LaRussa seem like an odd couple...
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    edited October 2020

Anyone who is not a giant red ass that takes themselves too seriously + TLR is a bad couple.

This guy is a fucking doink.  Last thing the game needs is some crusty old fuck back in it -- just when people were starting to loosen up a bit.

(Not a TLR fan.  ;) )
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    MayDay10 said:
    Tony LaRussa as manager of the White Sox.  I did not expect that.  Fear the White Sox.
    Jesus. Is managing going the route of presidents now and selecting the oldest possible candidates? I mean, no diss to Larussa, I watched him coach throughout my childhood, but wasn't thinking it would extend to my kids childhood too.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,630
    He feels very old school. 
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    What a horrible fucking move.  Dude is 76 years old and hasn't managed in 9 years.  He's one of those crusty old fucks who gets pissed off about anyone admiring a HR or breaking any of the "unwritten rules".  I'm sure him and Anderson will get along great.  I finally get excited about the Sox for the first time in a decade and they go and do something like this.  This is such a Reinsdorf move.  If I were Rick Hahn, I'd hand in my resignation.  Absolute joke.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,463
    T “first ballot hall of famer” LR never won shit without a bunch of roided up players. fuck him. I hope he’s a disaster.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    What a horrible fucking move.  Dude is 76 years old and hasn't managed in 9 years.  He's one of those crusty old fucks who gets pissed off about anyone admiring a HR or breaking any of the "unwritten rules".  I'm sure him and Anderson will get along great.  I finally get excited about the Sox for the first time in a decade and they go and do something like this.  This is such a Reinsdorf move.  If I were Rick Hahn, I'd hand in my resignation.  Absolute joke.
    Yeah, it's a brutal hire, especially for that team...it would seem to me at least.
  • Options
    Yeah, it's a brutal hire, especially for that team...it would seem to me at least.
    Well, at least we know they won't fall into the same trap as Kevin Cash.  (And I mean every aspect of that including being in the WS in the first place).
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,630
    Well, at least we know they won't fall into the same trap as Kevin Cash.  (And I mean every aspect of that including being in the WS in the first place).
    Ha! Good.  I'm a Sox hater, no matter the color.  Go Tribe. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    edited October 2020
    I wanted to root for them, as well.

Be a cold day in hell before I root for La Russa to do anything good.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,779
    Haha, I follow this dude Tim Marchman - used to be the editor at Deadspin, now at Vice, lives in Philly. Huuuuge White Sox fan.

• Options
    Was just reading and marvelling about this again.

This could be the dumbest decision since.
    ....I don't know.  I cannot think of a hire that I instantly felt certain would 100% work against the team getting better.  
    They still are loaded and could win in spite of him but they will have a lot to overcome just to be happy at work.

Very bad move for the sport.  Shocker that the fucking corpse aka Jerry Shitdorf makes it.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I don't know.  It just seems like MLB managers are empty husks who decide how closely to follow a binder of %ages.  
    Its at least very interesting with LaRussa, as opposed to some middle of the road player from the 2000s that we forgot about.  There are only a few managers who I think transcend the current trend of robots, and LaRussa may be one of them.  francona is another off the top of my head.  Maybe Maddon.  Dusty Baker.

The only thing I have against LaRussa is he was the innovator who kind of nudged baseball to its current state of over-analysis, constant pitching changes, etc.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options

....I don't know.  I cannot think of a hire that I instantly felt certain would 100% work against the team getting better.  
    They still are loaded and could win in spite of him but they will have a lot to overcome just to be happy at work.

Very bad move for the sport.  Shocker that the fucking corpse aka Jerry Shitdorf makes it.
    The Jets said "Hold my beer, We need to shake hands with our new coach Adam Gase."
  • Options

The Jets said "Hold my beer, We need to shake hands with our new coach Adam Gase."

:lol:
    Yeah, that could be the winner of the "since" part.
    Gase is a total trump-ian level grease fire. 
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,463

vin scully trademarked “the fucking corpse.”
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Who you got for the awards?

AL Cy Young: Bieber - no doubt
    NL Cy Young:  DeGrom
    AL ROY - Kyle Lewis
    NL ROY - Cronenworth
    AL Manager - Cash
    NL Manager - Tingler
    AL MVP - Abreu 
    NL MVP: - Freeman

• Options
    MayDay10 said:
    Who you got for the awards?

AL Cy Young: Bieber - no doubt
    NL Cy Young:  DeGrom
    AL ROY - Kyle Lewis
    NL ROY - Cronenworth
    AL Manager - Cash
    NL Manager - Tingler
    AL MVP - Abreu 
    NL MVP: - Freeman

I like them but change these.  Switch out Bohm for ROY, Darvish CY, LeMahieu MVP and Mookie has got to take MVP for the NL. 
  • Options
    Bauer gets the NL Cy Young. 
    There is no way Freeman does not win the NL MVP, in my mind.
  • Options
    Yeah, LeMahieu had a pretty awesome 60 games.
  • Options
    Betts was the juggernaut for LA though.

Actually I wouldn't be angry either way.

MayDay10 said:
    He had a pretty damn good year before too and got slighted for being on a loaded Yanks team but he seems to be a catalyst for manufacturing runs on that team.
  • Options

MayDay10 said:
    He had a pretty damn good year before too and got slighted for being on a loaded Yanks team but he seems to be a catalyst for manufacturing runs on that team.

Betts is a beast but side by side he doesn't best Freeman.  (I'm not really a Freeman fan, either.) 

Ah, who can tell.  Not like Betts is undeserving, I just looked at the stats and saw how deserving FF was.  He really took his game to a higher level, post COVID.  Did it give him superpowers?  (kidding!)
  • Options

MayDay10 said:

Betts is a beast but side by side he doesn't best Freeman.  (I'm not really a Freeman fan, either.) 

Ah, who can tell.  Not like Betts is undeserving, I just looked at the stats and saw how deserving FF was.  He really took his game to a higher level, post COVID.  Did it give him superpowers?  (kidding!)
    What a story that would be.  Recovered from Covid to win the NL MVP!
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,105
    I'm admittedly biased, but #MVFree!
  • Options
    Jesus Christ, white sox

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,779
    Hahahahhahahahahaha
  • Options
    Yeah - now a hire that made no sense makes less sense.
    Two time DUI drunk old crusty guy.....I can go out and try to kill people with my car but you cannot flip your bats.
  • Options
    Devin Williams with the NL MVP...  27 innings pitched and 53 strikeouts.  1 earned run allowed and .630 WHIP.  He is a 26 year old though.

Kyle Lewis won it in the AL as a 25 year old.  Unanimous vote.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    Yeah - now a hire that made no sense makes less sense.
    Two time DUI drunk old crusty guy.....I can go out and try to kill people with my car but you cannot flip your bats.
    He even looks the part! Imagine how much he needed to drink to actually be drunk. He's a seasoned vet alright.
    It's a hopeless situation...