MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Poncier said:
    Yeah, but I wanna know what city he was talking about.
    I think I read that before going to commercial, he was talking about how he was at the 1989 World Series. Considering that series was Oakland vs. San Francisco, I'd wager a guess he talking about San Fran. 
    That probably makes sense.
    It does, but shit this just makes me think ol' Thom has a brick for a head and I'm sure is just the life of the party when having a conversation. Thanks, Capt. Obvious, for letting me know a lot of LGBTQ people live in a major metropolitan city.

And haha what a weak ass apology, btw.
    I don't watch any Reds baseball, so I don't know the first thing about him besides that he and his dad have been around forever.  But good god...not sure how you can say that's not you if you are able to say those things at work out loud.
    Yeah I've listened to him for hours and hours.  He seems like a good guy but the way that he said the word carries much greater harm than the fact that used the slur, imo.  It just sounds hateful.  Like he hates gay people.

Have seen a number of funny things around this on the internet already.  The funniest I will not repost but had to do with Taggart from Blazing Saddles.  

I can understand how people can joke or people can say things they don't mean in some settings.....saying it at work where you have a mic attached is idiotic to the highest level and, again, the way he spits the word out represents strong feelings about it.

He earned whatever he gets as far as impact on 30+ years and a family legacy as an announcer.
    I just said that to someone. He felt comfortable enough to say it at work, out loud, with a microphone in front of his face. It's a bad look that he is comfortable saying it in the workplace in general. And yeah, agree it sounds hateful.

I have obviously said that word. Too often, though it has been a while, so can understand in some capacity, but yeah, it sounded hateful.
    Yep.  And then naturally he goes right to the "man of faith" nonsense during that hilarious apology.  I'm sure plenty of stories will start coming out now about what an asshole this guy really is.
    Haha, I think being a "man of faith" is exactly why he said it. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    I assumed he was talking about Kansas City but have no idea if that is right.

The hateful part, imo, was the inflection and strength of how he said it.  

Just cannot imagine what lead to this....for a guy that had been on air for 30+ years it suggests he probably talks like this frequently at work.  (Or maybe he was drunk or something, lol?)

His father is a legend - and a cantankerous mofo.  Will be interesting to see what sort of other info comes out.
    Sad to see people burn themselves up, but if he is an asshole he had it coming and it is what he gets.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    I don't think he even apologized to gay people in his statement, like at all. I'm pretty sure he led with (paraphrasing), "I'm sorry most of all to the people who sign my paycheck." Yeesh.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    I think he said to anyone he may have hurt
    ...but it would seem obvious to address the gay community.
    I might guess that he did the apology on his own, but who knows....maybe Fox asked or told him to.
    If they did I would expect it to be phrased differently/better.
    Yeah, to me that translates as "I don't think it was that bad, but if you or someone you know were offended by it I'm sorry. Most of all I'm sorry because I fucked up and am no longer going to receive a paycheck, and I really don't like the publicity I will get from this thing I said two hours ago though that's not who I really am because I'm a man of faith."
    :lol:

Man of faith is still the best part beyond his calling the homer in the middle of it
    Bad.

Man of faith is still the best part beyond his calling the homer in the middle of it
    Bad.
    Haha, I gotta say it would've been great if he just dropped the whole charade and was like, "Annnnd that one is BELTED into left field!"
    edited August 2020
    Or if he doubled down and went full Jim Brockmire
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712

Bad.
    Haha, I gotta say it would've been great if he just dropped the whole charade and was like, "Annnnd that one is BELTED into left field!"
    Someone made a funny edit to make it like that...
    https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/id5k6e/jeez_thom_nows_not_the_time_to_be_that_excited/
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com

Bad.
    Someone made a funny edit to make it like that...
    https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/id5k6e/jeez_thom_nows_not_the_time_to_be_that_excited/
    Ah, man, that's great - the internet always delivers.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    cutz said:
    Robert is a bad dude.  People have been hyping him up for 2 years now and everyone can see why.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Jose Alvarez took a 105 mph line drive off his ball. Wonder if he gave the thumbs up as he was carted off. LOL
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,714
    should have been paying attention, luckily he bearly felt it

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    Vedder Cup
    I miss igotid88
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Giolito! That was awesome last night. Dude was the worst starting pitcher statistically in the league in 2018. All star game last year, has become the White Sox ace and now a no hitter. Great story for a really good dude. 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Giolito! That was awesome last night. Dude was the worst starting pitcher statistically in the league in 2018. All star game last year, has become the White Sox ace and now a no hitter. Great story for a really good dude. 
    Nothing like a good comeback story.  Dude has obviously worked hard to turn things around and deserves it!  South Side is fun to watch this season!
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,385
    Thom used to do D-bags games, so I've hated him for years.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,714
    Brewers/Reds agree not to play tonight cause of the shooting
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    edited September 2020
    Miguel Yajure of the New York Yankees becomes the first Major Leaguer to wear #89. Every other number under triple digits have been worn
    I miss igotid88
    Miguel Yajure is the best player to ever wear #89 in MLB
    I miss igotid88
    R.I.P. Tom Seaver
    I miss igotid88
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    igotid88 said:
    R.I.P. Tom Seaver
    Just heard the news.

R I P to Tom "Terrific" Seaver

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Sad news about Tom Seaver. He was one of the best. I think he was suffering from dementia, at the end.

RIP, Tom.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,175
    Wobbie said:
    That's no way to talk about your grandson.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Wobbie said:
    Sad news about Tom Seaver. He was one of the best. I think he was suffering from dementia, at the end.

RIP, Tom.
    Yes he was.

It wasn't too long ago that he retired from being in public so he went fast.
    All the Mets have dirt on their right knee in honor of Tom Seaver
    I miss igotid88
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Im wondering what is going to happen with the Minor League Baseball thing.  Apparently September 30th everything expires and it will be a giant Red Wedding, with professional baseball (and in many places, a big piece of their local identity) ripped out of 42 communities across the country.

I just dont know what it will look like?  I guess each MLB team will have 4 affiliates, mainly owned/operated by the parent club?  I wonder if they will make it like the rookie league and the teams will just carry the MLB name/brand and become like automotons.  

On one hand, Minor League baseball is broken, and has been for years.  There is almost zero semblance of competition, especially at the higher levels.  AAA baseball is just a non-competitive taxi squad full of players who dont want to be there, strict pitch counts, etc...then 'playoffs' happen and September callups render the rosters unrecognizable.  When I was younger, they had vets, washed up players, and career minor leaguers which was great.  They competed and gave it flavor and continuity.  Now, its just an event to attract people (star wars night, fireworks, etc) with a baseball game just happening in the background.  It is and will erode the sport in this country.

But this move seems to maybe double-down on the crummy things with minor league baseball, and will make it even more sterile.

Maybe this will open the door to potential Independent League(s) that can/will get more traction?