Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    Wobbie said:
    Ms. Haiku said:
    Hurray! I finally subscribed to MLB audio, as I'm done with following local teams. Instead I'm listening to Yankees, Tigers and Cardinals. Also, I would like Seattle to win the World Series as they are the only team that hasn't won a World Series.

give her a break....she's a girl. :wink:
    No, don't give me a break. :) I deserve it. 

I thought Mariners were the only team that didn't win the World Series. Are they the only team that has never made it to the World Series?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,448
    Mike Wilbon had a ridiculous take (IMO) that if all teams can’t play 60, you go with winning percentage....really, if the Rays miss 6 against the yanks and sox, you go with %?

Uh, no.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,248
    Ms. Haiku said:
    Wobbie said:
    Ms. Haiku said:
    Hurray! I finally subscribed to MLB audio, as I'm done with following local teams. Instead I'm listening to Yankees, Tigers and Cardinals. Also, I would like Seattle to win the World Series as they are the only team that hasn't won a World Series.

I thought Mariners were the only team that didn't win the World Series. Are they the only team that has never made it to the World Series?
    Hey if we can give @Wobbie breaks, we can surely give you one!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Ms. Haiku said:
    Wobbie said:
    Ms. Haiku said:

Just don't bweak his hip

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,295
    Ms. Haiku said:
    Wobbie said:
    Ms. Haiku said:

I've been calling him Wobble all this time
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    igotid88 said:
    Ms. Haiku said:
    Wobbie said:
    Ms. Haiku said:

But he doesn't fall down...
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    igotid88 said:
    Ms. Haiku said:
    Wobbie said:
    Ms. Haiku said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq0OQBdIhsc
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    Soooo, 4 more Marlins. Phillies-Yankees game off for tonight again...
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    Poncier said:
    igotid88 said:
    Ms. Haiku said:
    Wobbie said:
    Ms. Haiku said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq0OQBdIhsc
    lol
  • Options
    How are masks not required in the dugout? I just read they are for managers and coaches but not for the players? 

On the field, I can understand. But in the dugout where they are sitting in close proximity for a non bubble sport? Seems like mistake to me...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    How are masks not required in the dugout? I just read they are for managers and coaches but not for the players? 

On the field, I can understand. But in the dugout where they are sitting in close proximity for a non bubble sport? Seems like mistake to me...
    Baseball has no plan.  The day Juan Soto tests positive, it rains in the 5th inning of the game and they have the teams go sit in the clubhouse for 2+ hours trying to get the game in before it is finally cancelled  There should not be rain delays.  Either cancel it and let the score stand or pick it up the next day if possible.
  • Options
    Nats players voted to not travel to Miami this weekend....
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,770
    I don't know why anyone would want to go to Florida right now, for any reason.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,191
    edited July 2020
    looks like they are adjusting schedule and Yanks and O's will play and Phils and Marlins will sit out at least 2 more days.  did they not have a plan for the case that this must happen?

only more surprising thing is Trump made up that the Yankees wanted him to throw out the 1st ball.

Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    looks like they are adjusting schedule and Yanks and O's will play and Phils and Marlins will sit out at least 2 more days.  did they not have a plan for the case that this must happen?

only more surprising thing is Trump made up that the Yankees wanted him to throw out the 1st ball.

Marlins will not play this week
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    What a disaster. Almost comical if it were not for 150k dead people.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Manfred's the worst right? Like he's making a run for all-time worst right?
  • Options
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,055
    Depends on the topic. It's not always easy for me to figure out what is uniquely his decision vs. having to act on behalf of shitty owners.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    That Jomboy break down was great.

I’m a Joe Kelly fan.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Fuck the Astros.  Every one of them.  
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    Depends on the topic. It's not always easy for me to figure out what is uniquely his decision vs. having to act on behalf of shitty owners.
    But that's a given right? Every commissioner in the major sports are an extension/representation of every shitty owner.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,055
    pjl44 said:
    But that's a given right? Every commissioner in the major sports are an extension/representation of every shitty owner.
    It comes down to how they manage that relationship though. If they're just a mouthpiece, it doesn't much matter who's in the commish role.

The negotiation to start this season is an interesting example. Would a better commish have been able to avoid that train wreck? Or was it a forgone conclusion based on dug-in owners? Or did he actually do a good job by even salvaging a season, given how contentious the parties are toward each other? I honestly don't really know how to separate his work out.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    It comes down to how they manage that relationship though. If they're just a mouthpiece, it doesn't much matter who's in the commish role.

The negotiation to start this season is an interesting example. Would a better commish have been able to avoid that train wreck? Or was it a forgone conclusion based on dug-in owners? Or did he actually do a good job by even salvaging a season, given how contentious the parties are toward each other? I honestly don't really know how to separate his work out.
    Personally, for me, it's how he's handled the roll-out of this season (lack of substantive plans for scenarios like we're seeing with the Marlins) - and therefore by doing so showing how this whole thing is driven by greed for the dollar - along with the accelerated changes he wants to make to the game. He wants to draw in as many eyeballs as possible to the sport (seems like the eyeballs he's chasing could not care less for the sport to begin with), ultimately to increase the money coming in (obvious, and of course something that all commissioners want) - even if it's at the detriment to the long-term growth of the sport, especially when some ideas are contradictions (you can't shorten games and also increase offense, it's one or the other). The marketing of individual players is awful (though this precedes him, but you would think it'd be a priority). The rules changes made, and he'd like to go further on, are just awful. Again, worry about improving the reach of the game instead of trying to lure in people that would rather not watch baseball to begin with. So, on the whole, my issues with this guy were pre-Covid, Covid has just been the thing that has put him over as the worst for me (as is the case with many "leaders" currently).

From what I understand he had the authority to implement a 60 game season regardless, so I don't know if I give him any credit for this thing starting. Seems like he's being as passive as possible to the point you wonder if anyone's manning the helm.
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Suspended 8 games
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Manfred is such a clown.  That is the same as 22 games in a 162 game season. Dude sucks
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,838
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Suspended 8 games
    8 games for talking shit?  what the heck.....
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    I’m cool with a couple games, but that’s outrageous. 
  • Options