MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    I happen to switch over the Cubs/Strohs game last night just as Almora hit that liner into the stands which struck the young girl.
    Felt so badly for him and, of course, concerned about the girl.
    It is time for us to stop being "old school" and sticking our heads in the sand about the realities of attending baseball games in 2019. 
    Put netting up down the baseline into the OF.
    Freak things can still happen, this will not stop all risk, but it should cut back further on the risk, adding to the steps already taken. 
    Damn.  Hope she is OK.
    I can only imagine how he felt seeing it happen and being a father of young children....that is fucked up.
    nets should be from foul pole to foul pole.  and even some aren't high enough.  it's crazy how fast balls can come into the stands.  has to be horrible to see that when you hit the ball.  totally understand Almora's reaction.  hope that girl is ok.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    I happen to switch over the Cubs/Strohs game last night just as Almora hit that liner into the stands which struck the young girl.
    Felt so badly for him and, of course, concerned about the girl.
    It is time for us to stop being "old school" and sticking our heads in the sand about the realities of attending baseball games in 2019. 
    Put netting up down the baseline into the OF.
    Freak things can still happen, this will not stop all risk, but it should cut back further on the risk, adding to the steps already taken. 
    Damn.  Hope she is OK.
    I can only imagine how he felt seeing it happen and being a father of young children....that is fucked up.
    Didn't you change your tune on this a bit?  I feel like you didn't love the netting they already extended, but yeah, I agree.  I got choked up reading and watching the video of Almora talking about that.  I couldn't imagine being that father.

Bats splinter worse than they ever had, players are hitting the ball harder than they ever have.  Just keep people safe.
    I'm leaning more towards this now too.

Nets should be there...
    Same.
    Same here.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Yeah, minds can be changed when kids are getting  hurt. I am in agreement with everyone.
    I cannot imagine the thought process that goes through seeing a 4 year old girl getting drilled by a screaming line drive and saying "BUY MY VIEW!!!!211!!"
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    I cannot imagine the thought process that goes through seeing a 4 year old girl getting drilled by a screaming line drive and saying "BUY MY VIEW!!!!211!!"
    I am in the original mindset that you don't/shouldn't bring a kid to anything that may be dangerous but hey, if people keep getting hurt then do it.

Went to a Minor league game here in NY and my nephew wanted to sit on the end.  I had to go get him food so I left him there with my GF.  I explained to her that it's not a good idea for him to be on the end.  She asked why?  I told her that if he is on the end you need to be paying 100% attention the whole time and make sure a ball doesn't come screaming at his head.  You'll need to jump in front of it.

She replied for me to "hurry back" lol.

Question for the goup.

Where does the net stop?

I've seen some dead pull screamers get launched into the upperdecks.  I've also seen them scream into the vending areas, the game I mentioned above I got a ball that smacked off a guys arm.

edited May 2019
    I am in the original mindset that you don't/shouldn't bring a kid to anything that may be dangerous but hey, if people keep getting hurt then do it.

Went to a Minor league game here in NY and my nephew wanted to sit on the end.  I had to go get him food so I left him there with my GF.  I explained to her that it's not a good idea for him to be on the end.  She asked why?  I told her that if he is on the end you need to be paying 100% attention the whole time and make sure a ball doesn't come screaming at his head.  You'll need to jump in front of it.

Question for the goup.

Where does the net stop?

I've seen some dead pull screamers get launched into the upperdecks.  I've also seen them scream into the vending areas, the game I mentioned above I got a ball that smacked off a guys arm.

I don't think any of the people that have been actually hurt have been in the upper deck or common areas.  PJ hawks said foul pole to foul pole, as did Kris Bryant.  I don't see anything wrong with that.

I think you are being responsible, but I also don't think it is fair to assume that everyone has (or should be held responsible for holding )the same mind set.  What about a family that goes to one game a year and get's good seats?  They should be expected to know exactly what the most dangerous areas are?

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587

Question for the goup.

Where does the net stop?

There is always some risk...the lady that was killed at dodger stadium was in Loge section.
    I think to the foul poles is a good next step.
    I always sat between my nephew and the action...until he was a better ballplayer than I was and had his glove. (When we are down by the field)  However...I do not let him not pay attention, which is tough and requires vigilance on my side.
    the talking heads on MLB TV last night shared an opinion that I agree with....there are ways for grown people who are paying attention to get hurt, as well.  Think of a screamer getting hit and the person stands up/moves at the last minute.

Anyway, I don't guess there is really a way to eliminate all risk but in light of what we have seen the past few years I think they took some good steps but can take some more, right away.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    Foul pole to foul pole should eliminate the most severe risks. I think that's a reasonable way to go.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    I agree with foul pole to foul pole. That should help with both line drive fouls and bats (whether broken or the batter just lets go). Honestly, I remember more of the bats flying into the stands and hurting people more than foul balls.

Question for the goup.

Where does the net stop?

There is always some risk...the lady that was killed at dodger stadium was in Loge section.
    I always sat between my nephew and the action...until he was a better ballplayer than I was and had his glove. (When we are down by the field)  However...I do not let him not pay attention, which is tough and requires vigilance on my side.
    the talking heads on MLB TV last night shared an opinion that I agree with....there are ways for grown people who are paying attention to get hurt, as well.  Think of a screamer getting hit and the person stands up/moves at the last minute.

Anyway, I don't guess there is really a way to eliminate all risk but in light of what we have seen the past few years I think they took some good steps but can take some more, right away.
    HBO Real Sports did a story on this a few years ago. They had people behind a glass shield and even when they knew the ball was coming they couldn't react fast enough to get out of the way.  watch below. it's really kind of scary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miiahEyxSTI
    pjhawks said:

Question for the goup.

Where does the net stop?

HBO Real Sports did a story on this a few years ago. They had people behind a glass shield and even when they knew the ball was coming they couldn't react fast enough to get out of the way.  watch below. it's really kind of scary.

Or sometimes they just don't care to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nsh-tF7Gz0
    pjhawks said:

Question for the goup.

Where does the net stop?

haha i think that old woman had no clue where she was.
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

Question for the goup.

Where does the net stop?

Either way, she's the best.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

Question for the goup.

Where does the net stop?

Either way, she's the best.
    Was she awake?
    That is crazy!  (And that Real Sports piece is wild, as well.)
    I saw a guy get hit right in the forehead, in Atlanta, sitting 2-3 rows behind the dugout.
    He was talking to his wife and turned just as it hit him.  An old bastard...and in about 10 seconds the swelling was scary.  They helped him away, but he was able to walk.  If that had hit him square in the face?  Oh, it would have been so, so, ugly.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Poncier said:
    Foul pole to foul pole should eliminate the most severe risks. I think that's a reasonable way to go.
    I agree.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    pjhawks said:

Question for the goup.

Where does the net stop?

I know I'm splitting hairs perhaps but aren't they only like 70 feet away there?
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    How far do they go now? Dugouts? 

Foul pole seems kinda crazy. 

Is there resistance to something along the lines of shatterproof glass? 

Past that ”no time to react zone”, I’d like the responsibility to fall on the fans, but I know that ship has sailed.

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    I saw that....takes first place from Curtis Jackson III in the Worst First Pitch category.
    So funny.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    ^Too bad the dude didn't have a video camera, would have been great film of the ball coming right at the lens.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Lucky for her it was a White Sox game, so no one was there to witness it.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Lucky for her it was a White Sox game, so no one was there to witness it.
    :rofl:
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,147
    Bee delay at the Marlins Padres game
    I miss igotid88
    All-star game voting so far.  Who you got?

Trout should be a backup this year, not a starter.

I'm going Meadows, Brantley and Mancini.

Mancini is doing great for a crap team so he has my vote.

SooChoo is a nice surprise too.

So I am all about calling out dumb stats.  Found my favorite so far in this article
    http://www.baseballessential.com/news/2019/06/04/dj-lemahieu-has-been-highway-robbery-for-the-new-york-yankees/

To keep you from suspense I took the obvious egregious stat out for you all to ponder on.

At the plate, he’s raking. Hitting .311 while totaling over twice as many hits as strikeouts (65:31) and 34 RBIs, he has been a machine in manager Aaron Boone‘s lineup. Meanwhile, he owns career highs in average exit velocity (91.5 percent), barrel percentage (5.5), and hard-hit percentage (47.5).

If those 3 things start adding up to bigger paydays come contract negotiations or recommendations for HOF admittance I would love to know...

Stupid ass stats...
    https://www.mlb.com/news/bunt-ends-no-hitter-in-minors-causes-controversy

Some "unwritten laws" are just dumb.

When a bunt is outlawed from baseball I'll take issue with this, until then, tough.
    So I am all about calling out dumb stats.  Found my favorite so far in this article
    http://www.baseballessential.com/news/2019/06/04/dj-lemahieu-has-been-highway-robbery-for-the-new-york-yankees/

To keep you from suspense I took the obvious egregious stat out for you all to ponder on.

At the plate, he’s raking. Hitting .311 while totaling over twice as many hits as strikeouts (65:31) and 34 RBIs, he has been a machine in manager Aaron Boone‘s lineup. Meanwhile, he owns career highs in average exit velocity (91.5 percent), barrel percentage (5.5), and hard-hit percentage (47.5).

If those 3 things start adding up to bigger paydays come contract negotiations or recommendations for HOF admittance I would love to know...

Stupid ass stats...
    I don't think those things play into awards, but I think those stats are a big reason the Yankees signed him and it looks like they told them the correct things, although it is obviously early.
    edited June 2019

Stupid ass stats...
    I don't think those things play into awards, but I think those stats are a big reason the Yankees signed him and it looks like they told them the correct things, although it is obviously early.
    I'm sorry but "exit velocity" and the like doesn't mean anything if you don't "hit the ball where they ain't..."  If the ball leaves the stadium at 75mph it is still a Homerun.  No extra bonus points are given for a harder hit ball.  You only need a certain number of feet to get it over the wall.

I was being facetious about awards too.

#StupidAssStats
    The harder someone hits the ball the better.  Has always been this way and always will be this way.
    The harder someone hits the ball the better.  Has always been this way and always will be this way.
    You can hit the ball really hard at someone for an out every time too... or be Dave Kingman.