Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,380
    Wobbie said:
    Red Sox have “the look”.
    Yes, they do.

I'm hoping that Houston steps up tonight. Ugh.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,452
    mfc2006 said:
    Wobbie said:
    Red Sox have “the look”.
    Yes, they do.

I'm hoping that Houston steps up tonight. Ugh.

I'm hoping for the same.

Also hoping the Braves win another.

The TV networks are hoping for the exact opposite WS.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,422
    edited October 2021
    Just bad for the sport(especially for the Astros & Sox for this to happen in an ALCS)

Post edited by cutz on
  • Options
    cutz said:
    Just bad for the sport(especially for the Astros & Sox for this to happen in an ALCS)

Passan sucks.

The Eovaldi curve was a strike and he should have got that call.  I am always in favor of an expanding strike zone.  If it's close the pitcher should get it.

Going by that chart if you are only going by On The Line pitches missed it's 7.  Calling balls and strikes is also much easier when you are watching it on a TV with a box around it which dies not consider where the ball crosses over the plate, not where it lands in a catchers mitt.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Passan sucks, so hard.
    Agree - the Eovaldi curve is the one that is on the line?  On the line is where the ump can be expected to call some time and not others.  Only way to stop that is to get a machine.

Also - Laz Diaz blows donkeys.  Not defending him, just hate me some Passan, with a passion.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    Fuck Boston 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    Fuck Boston 
    Yankee fans are now Astro fans, rooting for the team they believe cheated them out of a WS appearance.
    The sports world is laughing at you, hard.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Fuck Boston 
    Yankee fans are now Astro fans, rooting for the team they believe cheated them out of a WS appearance.
    Umm Dodgers?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    Poncier said:
    Fuck Boston 
    Horrible but what can you do.
  • Options
    Passan sucks, so hard.
    Agree - the Eovaldi curve is the one that is on the line?  On the line is where the ump can be expected to call some time and not others.  Only way to stop that is to get a machine.

Also - Laz Diaz blows donkeys.  Not defending him, just hate me some Passan, with a passion.
    Machine is stupid.

Hitters will have a huge advantage if they have a good batting eye.

There is a beauty to the human error in baseball.  I embrace it even if it goes against my team.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Passan sucks, so hard.

Machine is stupid.

There is a beauty to the human error in baseball.  I embrace it even if it goes against my team.

Agree that the machine is not what I want.  Totally on board with machine-grading, over time, for Umps, and for getting out the ones who suck with consistency. 

#passaneatshorsepoo
  • Options
    Passan sucks, so hard.

Machine is stupid.

Agree that the machine is not what I want.  Totally on board with machine-grading, over time, for Umps, and for getting out the ones who suck with consistency. 

#passaneatshorsepoo
    I am pretty sure there isn't an ump who ever did not miss at least one call.

Great line I heard about Ted Williams years ago.  Pitch came and the ump missed the pitch.  He called it a ball because Ted didn't swing...
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Passan sucks, so hard.

Machine is stupid.

Agreed on all 3 of your points.

The curve was borderline----but there were a lot of borderline calls throughout the game. I'm just happy that Houston woke up. And yes, Passan sucks....but not as much as Joe Buck.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Yes.  F Joe Buck.  Bob Costas too.  He can go get more pink eye for all I care.

Karl Ravech is starting to be annoying too...
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,422
    edited October 2021
  • Options
    Passan sucks, so hard.

Machine is stupid.

#passaneatshorsepoo
    I am pretty sure there isn't an ump who ever did not miss at least one call.

Great line I heard about Ted Williams years ago.  Pitch came and the ump missed the pitch.  He called it a ball because Ted didn't swing...
    Bonds deserved and got the same respect.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I love the human error aspect of baseball
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Red Sox have “the look”.
    Man you're a jinx.
    Say something good about the Astros.
  • Options
    Valdez actually gave them innings & pitched so well. Great win!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    TheBeardedFellowTheBeardedFellow Posts: 297
    edited October 2021
    What is the deal with all these "bullpen games?"

Yeah, it seems to be working for the Braves tonight... but I have to keep hearing about LA playing one tomorrow. And LA could be facing elimination...??  And the Braves are big series underdog who just lost a heartbreaker and can recover to take a huge lead... This seems like gross mismanagement by ANY manager that can't throw a starter out for every game IN THE PLAYOFFS. This isn't the regular season where you're playing 10 days in a row.. there are scheduled days off every 3 days max. Its tough to make the baseball playoffs and tougher to make the Championship Series.. these are good teams, who, every year it seems (not just ATL and LA), can't manage a roster to avoid playing a very important game where you're praying for a pitching prayer. Throwing a "bullpen game" sounds like you are trying to steal a win... in a time when wins are too important.
    Post edited by TheBeardedFellow on
  • Options
    Those 2 games were something else.  Valdez was lights out man.  Threw a very nice game.  Sale was amazing until he wasn't.  It was like a switch went off and suddenly the Astros could hit him.  That was very weird.
  • Options

Yeah, it seems to be working for the Braves tonight... but I have to keep hearing about LA playing one tomorrow. And LA could be facing elimination...??  And the Braves are big series underdog who just lost a heartbreaker and can recover to take a huge lead... This seems like gross mismanagement by ANY manager that can't throw a starter out for every game IN THE PLAYOFFS. This isn't the regular season where you're playing 10 days in a row.. there are scheduled days off every 3 days max. Its tough to make the baseball playoffs and tougher to make the Championship Series.. these are good teams, who, every year it seems (not just ATL and LA), can't manage a roster to avoid playing a very important game where you're praying for a pitching prayer. Throwing a "bullpen game" sounds like you are trying to steal a win... in a time when wins are too important.

definitely a newish thing. in the case of the stinking dodgers, they only have 3 starters they trust. kershaw is on the IL (as usual); carrot top is on the IL; bauer is suspended for being a woman beater and david price is being david price.

bullpen games can, in theory, be really tough on the opposition…..batters are facing fresh arms; throwing different stuff from different sides and don’t get a second or third at bat against the same guy.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    And the Braves had 4 starters on the roster. With Ynoa getting scratched, it was either start Fried on short rest or a bullpen game. Yes, Smyly started up until the last month or so. He seemed to be much more effective doing bullpen games than starting, so as a Braves fan, I don't mind it. I do like having the 3 starters available for the last 3 games of the series. 
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

definitely a newish thing. in the case of the stinking dodgers, they only have 3 starters they trust. kershaw is on the IL (as usual); carrot top is on the IL; bauer is suspended for being a woman beater and david price is being david price.

bullpen games can, in theory, be really tough on the opposition…..batters are facing fresh arms; throwing different stuff from different sides and don’t get a second or third at bat against the same guy.
    I had this idea years ago.  Make every game like an All-Star game.  Load the roster with 15 pitchers whom all pitch two innings every other day or so and extend a pitcher to a 3 day rest.

I think you could do this throughout the year and do some real damage to other teams.

It is my analytic pipe dream I had before analytics.  I think I was 15 when I came up with this idea.
  • Options
    The good news is that it looks like I’ll have one less poster to frame. 

Much less expensive to just ship it to some doofus in Kansas City. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

C'mon man, you only need to win 2 games in a row.  Tell your boys to get that cart ready and hit some more bombs!
  • Options
    Those 2 games were something else.  Valdez was lights out man.  Threw a very nice game.  Sale was amazing until he wasn't.  It was like a switch went off and suddenly the Astros could hit him.  That was very weird.
    It was basically just Alvarez, got 3 of the 4 hits off Sale, and drove in all 3 runs he let up (not counting the one charged to him that Brasier let up).
    The dude was a one mane Sale-wrecking crew.
  • Options
    dankind said:

Manbearpig or Ronald McDonald?
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:

Manbearpig or Ronald McDonald?
    :lol:
    I SAW PEARL JAM