Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    Baseball can be so dumb.  Imagine telling someone they did something wrong for hitting a grand slam?
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,735
    edited August 2020
    Baseball can be so dumb.  Imagine telling someone they did something wrong for hitting a grand slam?
    The crusty old white guys are upset again about breaking an unwritten rule!!  Give me a fucking break.  Now they're telling guys that they shouldn't be swinging on a 3-0 count?!?!?  And MLB wonders why their average fan is 57 years old. 

Now excuse me while I go cry into my cheerios about the White Sox trading Tatis for James fucking Shields.
    Post edited by Indifference71 on
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,616
    I laughed when I saw that.  Do they expect someone to take strike one no matter what?

Dumb.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    Another "unwritten rule" is to not fire a fastball right down the middle under the assumption the batter isn't going to swing. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,421
     I read  Tatis Coach wasn't happy about it because he missed the Take Sign.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,421
    https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/2004566

Rangers' Woodward, Padres' Tingler scold Tatis for hitting slam on 3-0 count
    34m ago

The unwritten rules of baseball appear to be alive and well.

San Diego Padres superstar shortstop Fernando Tatis Jr. took over the MLB lead in home runs Monday when he clobbered a grand slam for his 11th round-tripper of the season. It was his first career grand slam.

Texas Rangers manager Chris Woodward wasn't pleased after Tatis hit his home run on a 3-0 pitch count, and not just because it left his team facing an 11-run deficit.

"I didn't like it personally," Woodward said, according to Sam Blum of the Dallas Morning News. "You're up by seven in the eighth inning, it's typically not a good time to swing 3-0. It's kind of the way we were all raised in the game. But ... the norms are being challenged."

The slam, Tatis' second home run of the game, extended San Diego's lead to 14-3. But Padres manager Jayce Tingler was similarly unimpressed by the home run because Tatis was given the take sign not to swing.

"Just to make sure we get the signs 3-0 in that game," Tingler said, according to Dennis Lin of The Athletic. "He's young, a free spirit and focused and all these things, and that's the last thing we'll ever take away. But that's a learning opportunity. That's it and he'll grow from it.

"Just so you know, a lot of our guys have (the) green light (on) 3-0. But in this game, in particular, we had a little bit of a comfortable lead, and we're not trying to run up the score or anything like that."

Tatis apologized for missing his sign after the game.

Tingler clarified Tuesday that his issue was not with him swinging, but that Tatis missed the sign not to, though the manager also acknowledged he probably shouldn't have given the sign in the first place.

"Obviously, it wasn't the right call," Tingler said, according to AJ Cassavell of MLB.com.

Tingler added that it bothered him that Tatis felt the need to apologize after the game.

"We as coaches shouldn't be (the) story," Tingler said, according to Bleacher Report's Scott Miller. "It's (the) players' game 100%."

Tingler took greater umbrage with Rangers reliever Ian Gibaut throwing behind Manny Machado on the very first pitch following the homer.

"Throwing at players and throwing behind them, it's just tired," Tingler said, according to Cassavell.

Plenty of people rushed to Tatis' defense, stating he didn't need to apologize for anything.

The series between the Padres and Rangers continues Tuesday.

• Options
    The crusty old white guys are upset again about breaking an unwritten rule!!  Give me a fucking break.  Now they're telling guys that they shouldn't be swinging on a 3-0 count?!?!?  And MLB wonders why their average fan is 57 years old. 

Now excuse me while I go cry into my cheerios about the Shite Sox trading Tatis for James fucking Shields.
    hahahah..duuude. I did not realize that was that trade. Good god.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,616
    I like the Trevor Bauer tweet shared above.

Damn, baseball is so fucking stuffy.
    The rangers manager is probably upset he didn't order a beanball instead of throwing behind the player.
    Idiots.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Rangers manager does realize no one is tuning in to game to watch him manage a lineup card, right?
  • Options
    I don't think so.
  • Options
    Thom is cancelled. Beat it 
  • Options
    Yeah, I liked him....but what the fuck.  
    Guessing he can't apologize that away.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Wow!! I say he deserves another chance for facing down the camera and apologizing...and what great irony to have his final call be a HR over a “Judgement Free Zone” sign. 
  • Options
    Lol homie called a home run while apologizing 
  • Options
    Wow.  Well, that was a very unusual home run call.
    I don't think this should end a career but I cannot fathom what he was thinking or saying and if it does end his career then he dug his own grave.
    What a jackass.
    Always seemed like a really nice guy.  Clearly he is a homophobic idiot.

That home run call will be a classic.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,219
    Another "that is not who I am" apology.
    If that's not who you are then why do you say such things? Unless you were talking about British cigarettes, that would be quite the excuse.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    I like how he points out that he’s a man of faith, as if that doesn’t support the slur.
  • Options
    Here's a funny edit where they use an old, excitable call of a Castellanos homerun within the apology....
    https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/id5k6e/jeez_thom_nows_not_the_time_to_be_that_excited/

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Here's a funny edit where they use an old, excitable call of a Castellanos homerun within the apology....
    https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/id5k6e/jeez_thom_nows_not_the_time_to_be_that_excited/

:lol:

The internet can occasionally be a wonderful thing.
  • Options
    I don't watch any Reds baseball, so I don't know the first thing about him besides that he and his dad have been around forever.  But good god...not sure how you can say that's not you if you are able to say those things at work out loud.
  • Options
    I don't watch any Reds baseball, so I don't know the first thing about him besides that he and his dad have been around forever.  But good god...not sure how you can say that's not you if you are able to say those things at work out loud.
    Yeah I've listened to him for hours and hours.  He seems like a good guy but the way that he said the word carries much greater harm than the fact that used the slur, imo.  It just sounds hateful.  Like he hates gay people.

Have seen a number of funny things around this on the internet already.  The funniest I will not repost but had to do with Taggart from Blazing Saddles.  

I can understand how people can joke or people can say things they don't mean in some settings.....saying it at work where you have a mic attached is idiotic to the highest level and, again, the way he spits the word out represents strong feelings about it.

He earned whatever he gets as far as impact on 30+ years and a family legacy as an announcer.
  • Options
    Yeah I've listened to him for hours and hours.  He seems like a good guy but the way that he said the word carries much greater harm than the fact that used the slur, imo.  It just sounds hateful.  Like he hates gay people.

Have seen a number of funny things around this on the internet already.  The funniest I will not repost but had to do with Taggart from Blazing Saddles.  

I can understand how people can joke or people can say things they don't mean in some settings.....saying it at work where you have a mic attached is idiotic to the highest level and, again, the way he spits the word out represents strong feelings about it.

He earned whatever he gets as far as impact on 30+ years and a family legacy as an announcer.
    I just said that to someone. He felt comfortable enough to say it at work, out loud, with a microphone in front of his face. It's a bad look that he is comfortable saying it in the workplace in general. And yeah, agree it sounds hateful.

I have obviously said that word. Too often, though it has been a while, so can understand in some capacity, but yeah, it sounded hateful.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,766
    Yeah, but I wanna know what city he was talking about.
  • Options
    A slur is a slur so not defending it, but I don’t get hate as much as I get a person who is totally comfortable saying it  in a situation where it’s been tolerated for awhile.  Who was he talking to that was that comfortable using it. 
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,735

I just said that to someone. He felt comfortable enough to say it at work, out loud, with a microphone in front of his face. It's a bad look that he is comfortable saying it in the workplace in general. And yeah, agree it sounds hateful.

I have obviously said that word. Too often, though it has been a while, so can understand in some capacity, but yeah, it sounded hateful.
    Yep.  And then naturally he goes right to the "man of faith" nonsense during that hilarious apology.  I'm sure plenty of stories will start coming out now about what an asshole this guy really is.
  • Options
    Reds were headed to St. Louis after KC, maybe that's what they were talking about
  • Options
    I think I read that before going to commercial, he was talking about how he was at the 1989 World Series. Considering that series was Oakland vs. San Francisco, I'd wager a guess he talking about San Fran. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    I think I read that before going to commercial, he was talking about how he was at the 1989 World Series. Considering that series was Oakland vs. San Francisco, I'd wager a guess he talking about San Fran. 
    That probably makes sense.