MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    cutz said:
    I don't know that I can do top fives.  It's too hard to narrow down.
    Barry Bonds is the greatest player of all-time. Greg Maddux is the greatest pitcher of all-time. Manny Ramirez & Ichiro are two of the best hitters I've ever seen, throw Pujols, Arod, & Gwynn in there, too.  Wish I was old enough to have seen 70's George Brett.
    Top 5 is difficult. 

Bonds is in the discussion. May Dad use to tell me that Willie Mays was one of, if not,  the Best overall player he saw. 

Manny Ramirez & Albert Pujols are 2 of the best RH hitters i've seen. 

George Brett almost hit .400 in 1980. Great swing.

I'll throw in Rod Carew and Tony Gwynn who were Ichiro before Ichiro.  Better hitters,  really. Same with Wade Boggs.  Gwynn may have hit .400 if it wasn't for the Strike(1994)

Steve Carlton & Bob Gibson are some of the pitchers that are right there with Maddux, that i saw. Check out ther Stats(ther complete game stat)
    I caught the very end of Carlton's career.  Dude was revered as one of, if not THE best lefty ever.  Speaking of which, gotta bring up my local guy Lefty Grove.  Consistently put up sub-3 ERAs in a time when Ruth, Gehrig, and others were beating the absolute shit out of the ball!
    See "Warren Spahn"...

Edit: Look up Steve Carltons 1972 stats then look up the Phillies wins that year...  One of my favorite pitching stats.
    That's one a buddy of mine and I talk about all the time!  Absolutely crazy! 
    If only Spahn hadn't fought in the war... could be the only liveball-era 400 game winner.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    cutz said:
    I don't know that I can do top fives.  It's too hard to narrow down.
    Barry Bonds is the greatest player of all-time. Greg Maddux is the greatest pitcher of all-time. Manny Ramirez & Ichiro are two of the best hitters I've ever seen, throw Pujols, Arod, & Gwynn in there, too.  Wish I was old enough to have seen 70's George Brett.
    Top 5 is difficult. 

Bonds is in the discussion. May Dad use to tell me that Willie Mays was one of, if not,  the Best overall player he saw. 

Manny Ramirez & Albert Pujols are 2 of the best RH hitters i've seen. 

George Brett almost hit .400 in 1980. Great swing.

I'll throw in Rod Carew and Tony Gwynn who were Ichiro before Ichiro.  Better hitters,  really. Same with Wade Boggs.  Gwynn may have hit .400 if it wasn't for the Strike(1994)

Steve Carlton & Bob Gibson are some of the pitchers that are right there with Maddux, that i saw. Check out ther Stats(ther complete game stat)
    I caught the very end of Carlton's career.  Dude was revered as one of, if not THE best lefty ever.  Speaking of which, gotta bring up my local guy Lefty Grove.  Consistently put up sub-3 ERAs in a time when Ruth, Gehrig, and others were beating the absolute shit out of the ball!
    See "Warren Spahn"...

Edit: Look up Steve Carltons 1972 stats then look up the Phillies wins that year...  One of my favorite pitching stats.
    That's one a buddy of mine and I talk about all the time!  Absolutely crazy! 
    If only Spahn hadn't fought in the war... could be the only liveball-era 400 game winner.
    Carltons stats and the other one I love is Maddux deciding that he wanted to have more wins than walks in one year.  He missed it by 1.

Possibly.  Spahn wasn't truly great until a few years after service which could be attributed to rust but I would agree with you.

Between Him and Williams it sure is fun to talk about "what if's?"
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    The best player of all time is CLEARLY Gleyber Torres.  Don't even think about arguing with me.
    I love you sometimes but this isn't one of those times, lol.
    You're trying to tell me Gleyber isn't the best player ever?  Pffff..what do you know!
    The best player of all time is CLEARLY Gleyber Torres.  Don't even think about arguing with me.
    I love you sometimes but this isn't one of those times, lol.
    You're trying to tell me Gleyber isn't the best player ever?  Pffff..what do you know!
    We will see one day.  He's not bad by any means!
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Always loved Frank Thomas even though he played for the bad guys.
    Favorite non Cardinal by far. I was having a discussion with the old man one day and was glad when he pointed out that Frank was Pujols before there was Pujols. Glad my obsession made a mark.
    DewieCox said:
    Always loved Frank Thomas even though he played for the bad guys.
    Favorite non Cardinal by far. I was having a discussion with the old man one day and was glad when he pointed out that Frank was Pujols before there was Pujols. Glad my obsession made a mark.
    He really doesn't get recognized as one of the best.

Glad that people appreciate him.  The Big Hurt was a beast.
    So from 90 til now, who were the best players?

Griffey and Thomas in the 90's, Pujols, Arod and Ichiro for the 00's, and Trout, Altuve in the 10's?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    90s
    Griffey
    Bonds
    00s
    Pujols
    Aroid
    10s
    Trout
    Votto (yes, I am a huge homer.  .428 OBP for the decade.  Won the MVP going in, got robbed by Giancarlo Injury in 2017 and should have won his 2nd of the decade)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    90s
    Griffey
    Bonds
    00s
    Pujols
    Aroid
    10s
    Trout
    Votto (yes, I am a huge homer.  .428 OBP for the decade.  Won the MVP going in, got robbed by Giancarlo Injury in 2017 and should have won his 2nd of the decade)
    Votto gets no love and that is most likely a regional thing. He is a great and I slighted him because the lack of winning...  Flame on.
    Mark Grace is often overlooked as one of the "Greats of the 90's."  Dude led all of baseball in hits and doubles for the decade, 4-time Gold Glove winner, would avg 80 RBI a season, bat .300-.320, on base close to 40% of the time, and walk nearly twice as often as he struck out.
    I certainly wouldn't go so far as to put him in the same class as Griffey, Bonds, Thomas, for example, but he definitely isn't mentioned as much when great players are talked about.
    edited March 2020
    Mark Grace is often overlooked as one of the "Greats of the 90's."  Dude led all of baseball in hits and doubles for the decade, 4-time Gold Glove winner, would avg 80 RBI a season, bat .300-.320, on base close to 40% of the time, and walk nearly twice as often as he struck out.
    I certainly wouldn't go so far as to put him in the same class as Griffey, Bonds, Thomas, for example, but he definitely isn't mentioned as much when great players are talked about.
    He’s now been mentioned the appropriate amount. 
    DewieCox said:
    I find it best not to weigh the opinions of Cardinal fans very heavily when it comes to Cubs players. :wink:
    Palmiero was a beast too but...

Grace was a very consistent player, he didn't dominate nor lead in any category in that time though so he will get overlooked.  Sandberg raked during the first few years but then he had 3 abysmal years...
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    Who’s top 5?

Babe
    Mays
    Bonds
    Pujols
    Ryan
    Ryan?  You're joking right?

Pujols at 23 is moronic. He’s a lock in the top 10. Fucking 700 hr clean

clean? are you sure? cuz there’s no way you could be,
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382

epic NLCS in ‘89 where will clark hit .650 and grace hit .647. too bad you guys had andre dawson. :wink:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited March 2020
    Wobbie said:
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    Who’s top 5?

Babe
    Mays
    Bonds
    Pujols
    Ryan
    Ryan?  You're joking right?

Pujols at 23 is moronic. He’s a lock in the top 10. Fucking 700 hr clean

clean? are you sure? cuz there’s no way you could be,
    Cleaner than anybody that has a shot at being ahead of him when he’s done, besides Ruth. 
    DewieCox said:
    I find it best not to weigh the opinions of Cardinal fans very heavily when it comes to Cubs players. :wink:
    Didn’t say he sucked, but how low are we setting the bar for “Greats”. I think cutting it off at 25 or 30 is fair and he’s definitely not cracking that list.
    Wobbie said:

epic NLCS in ‘89 where will clark hit .650 and grace hit .647. too bad you guys had andre dawson. :wink:
    Yeah, that was a stinker for us.  Always loved Clark, one of my all-time favorite non-Cubs.  Grace had the catalyst hit in the '01 Game 7 comeback!
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    Let's see if Amaral's going here with nobody down....Nope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtQ9M2YD_DI
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Let's see if Amaral's going here with nobody down....Nope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtQ9M2YD_DI
    Some lefties would just kill shit.

Darryl Strawberry had a sweet ass swing too.
    https://youtu.be/3Fvuk__F2Zw
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Love Griff's swing.

The Big Donkey was a lefty that could crush a ball.  (Or, take a walk.)
    535 Feet off of Lima Time.

Love Griff's swing.

Why on this day and age, can't the video guys follow the ball?  In Golf they do one hell of a job, why can't they?

@derbydave
    The previous long he had at GABP one hopped it into the river beyond the stadium.
    The previous long he had at GABP one hopped it into the river beyond the stadium.
    Somebody pull up the video of Josh Hamilton at the HR derby at Yankee stadium where he tried to hit it out of the new park.

Those balls were some of the farthest I've ever seen.
    Somebody pull up the video of Josh Hamilton at the HR derby at Yankee stadium where he tried to hit it out of the new park.

Those balls were some of the farthest I've ever seen.

That was a fun watch
    Sammy Steroid had a monster performance one year as well
    Love Griff's swing.

The King of the Three True Outcomes!  Man he could crush a ball!
    Semi-related, sleeveless always looked good on the Reds unis.
    Whitesox "Shorts" version is my all time favorite.  Not sure why we don't see them for a throwback?
    Image result for white sox shorts uniforms
    Whitesox "Shorts" version is my all time favorite.  Not sure why we don't see them for a throwback?

Those are so awful/awesome.  Tough to imagine there isn't an open can of beer next to the mound, or a pony keg in a bucket of ice @ 2nd.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Cause Chris Sale cut them up. (and now he's getting cut up)
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:
    Cause Chris Sale cut them up. (and now he's getting cut up)
    Oh that's funny!  I forgot about that!  It wasn't the shorts though!!