Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,793
    Plus, starters pitched 6 innings minimum, and closers went the rest of the way.  One pitching change unlike today's 4-6 per game.

Cubs wins this year?

Im going to go with 94

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Plus, starters pitched 6 innings minimum, and closers went the rest of the way.  One pitching change unlike today's 4-6 per game.

Cubs wins this year?

Im going to go with 94

Pretty freaking stacked division. 3 maybe 4 teams have a decent shot at postseason.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

Cubs wins this year?

Im going to go with 94

Pretty freaking stacked division. 3 maybe 4 teams have a decent shot at postseason.

Agree. And the Cubs really didn't do much in free agency. A couple of relievers, and that's about it. Obviously depending on Darvish to be healthy and contribute. Im looking forward to see what Lester brings this year. I am waiting for the inevitable decline. Age and amount of pitches just catches up with you. Im hoping for at least 1 more solid year from him.
  • Options

So I was looking forward to watching Cubs/Sox today at a good friends house, while enjoying a beverage or 20. Then I looked at the Cubs starting lineup. And yes I realize this is spring training, but still.

Bote

Happ

Carantini

Zagunis

Adduci

Adams

HUH???

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617

So I was looking forward to watching Cubs/Sox today at a good friends house, while enjoying a beverage or 20. Then I looked at the Cubs starting lineup. And yes I realize this is spring training, but still.

Bote

Happ

Carantini

Zagunis

Adduci

Adams

HUH???

Going to Spring Training games can be fun.
    Watching them on TV?  Tough to do.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

Bote

Happ

Carantini

Zagunis

Adduci

Adams

HUH???

I have a good friend who is down at spring training this week. Something I have always wanted to do, yet still haven't .

Im guessing being there is a fucking blast! Sun and Fun.

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    DewieCox said:

Cubs wins this year?

Im going to go with 94

Agree. And the Cubs really didn't do much in free agency. A couple of relievers, and that's about it. Obviously depending on Darvish to be healthy and contribute. Im looking forward to see what Lester brings this year. I am waiting for the inevitable decline. Age and amount of pitches just catches up with you. Im hoping for at least 1 more solid year from him.
    Agree on Lester. Hope he doesn't go all John Lackey on us and serve up batting practice all season.  Same with Hamels. Though they are still both under the age that Lackey was when we did get a good season out of him.  Darvish being both healthy and effective is going to be key.  Hendricks I'm never worried about.  Quintana is feast or famine but when he's on, you can usually count on him to get some innings in and save bullpen arms.
    All that said, I'm still more worried about the offense than pitching.  We tied the Orioles - the FUCKING 47 WIN ORIOLES - for most games scoring 1 run or less last year.  These guys couldn't string 2 or 3 hits together for nothing last year.  Baez was awesome for 5 months then was nowhere to be found when it mattered most, while Christian Yelich single-handedly propelled the Brewers to the division title.  Always gonna get good consistent work from Rizzo, Bryant needs to stay healthy, and Joe needs to tone it down with the lineup fuckery every day.
    We're definitely not finishing fucking last like all these dumbass polls are saying.  If everything comes together and they do what they're capable of, I see 94-96 wins.  If it's more like last year, 85-88 and miss the playoffs.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617

Bote

Happ

Carantini

Zagunis

Adduci

Adams

HUH???

I have a good friend who is down at spring training this week. Something I have always wanted to do, yet still haven't .

I went one time in AZ and it was fun.  I know some people who make a 'guy's trip' every year and they love it. 
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

Cubs wins this year?

Im going to go with 94

Agree on Lester. Hope he doesn't go all John Lackey on us and serve up batting practice all season.  Same with Hamels. Though they are still both under the age that Lackey was when we did get a good season out of him.  Darvish being both healthy and effective is going to be key.  Hendricks I'm never worried about.  Quintana is feast or famine but when he's on, you can usually count on him to get some innings in and save bullpen arms.
    All that said, I'm still more worried about the offense than pitching.  We tied the Orioles - the FUCKING 47 WIN ORIOLES - for most games scoring 1 run or less last year.  These guys couldn't string 2 or 3 hits together for nothing last year.  Baez was awesome for 5 months then was nowhere to be found when it mattered most, while Christian Yelich single-handedly propelled the Brewers to the division title.  Always gonna get good consistent work from Rizzo, Bryant needs to stay healthy, and Joe needs to tone it down with the lineup fuckery every day.
    We're definitely not finishing fucking last like all these dumbass polls are saying.  If everything comes together and they do what they're capable of, I see 94-96 wins.  If it's more like last year, 85-88 and miss the playoffs.
    That whole 1 run or less stat was mind boggling, when I read that, after last season was over. The whole swing for the fences thing can work, but putting together 3-4 hits has been basic fundamental baseball for over 100 years. Common sense says you cant hit 5 or 6 dingers a game. We all remember 2016. The Cubs played good FUNDAMENTAL baseball all year, and actually won a championship. Hopefully they can get back to shooting for the gaps, moving baserunners over, hitting opposite field, bunting men over, blah blah.
  • Options

Bote

Happ

Carantini

Zagunis

Adduci

Adams

HUH???

I went one time in AZ and it was fun.  I know some people who make a 'guy's trip' every year and they love it. 

Spring Training and a Super Bowl.

My 2 bucket list items.

• Options

Bote

Happ

Carantini

Zagunis

Adduci

Adams

HUH???

My 2 bucket list items.

Happy to have crossed them both off.  World Series game with my team in it....that is the big item left on my Sports List.
    If the Reds make it to a World Series again while I am alive, I am there.  No care about costs, it will be worth it.
    I have been to a WS game and it was amazing.  Can imagine what it would be like with my favorite team there and I want to experience that!
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

Bote

Happ

Carantini

Zagunis

Adduci

Adams

HUH???

My 2 bucket list items.

Spring Training is definitely on mine. I know a bunch of guys that went to Florida a couple years ago for Orioles Spring Training and they haven't stopped talking about it since.  They do a baseball destination trip every year, using a regular season series plus a couple extra days in whaetever city.  They switched it up and did ST one year and said it was probably the most fun baseball trip they've ever done.  Last year they did Minnesota, this year they're headed to Arlington.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    I have done Tampa/Clearwater a couple times. Awesome time. You can’t beat it. Was supposed to go last weekend but been a crazy month or so and couldn’t pull it off. If I realized EV was doing that festival in Arizona I would have been there for sure. 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    Kris Bryant has had a bad last 2 years.  He was hurt last year but the year before he had some drops in production.

You guys that follow the cubbies closely have any idea why?

Hoping the Angels bring up some of their farm team this year.  Maitan I'm talking to you!
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,248
    True. Hitters also rarely stepped out of box between pitches back then. Little stuff like that adds up .
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I think baseball is trying too hard to get people who will never like baseball to like baseball.  
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,248
    I think baseball is trying too hard to get people who will never like baseball to like baseball.  
    Well I think baseball is better when it moves it a brisker pace. The same game shouldn't take 20-30 minutes longer, on average, than it did when I was a kid.

You can trace baseball's loss of popularity to other sports to this timeframe. I think it matters and I think it matters going forward when trying to attract new, younger, fans/players. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Well I think baseball is better when it moves it a brisker pace. The same game shouldn't take 20-30 minutes longer, on average, than it did when I was a kid.

You can trace baseball's loss of popularity to other sports to this timeframe. I think it matters and I think it matters going forward when trying to attract new, younger, fans/players. 
    What is baseball's loss in popularity?  I don't really see it.

People, younger people, will like baseball if the team in their area is good.  They won't if it isn't. If baseball wants to worry about popularity, they should put more efforts into making sure more than a third of the league is actually trying to compete than trying to shave fractions of time off the game.

Sure, do things to speed it up, but they are hell bent on speeding up the game which won't do shit if teams aren't enjoyable to watch.  No one is going to watch the Diamondback whether the games are 3 hours or 2.5 hours if the team stinks. 

The problem with baseball popularity is that there were 3 teams interested in Bryce Harper, not the fact that a game may take over 3 hours.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    As well as trying to get people who used to like baseball to like it again. And it seems like a tall task to get people to follow the entire MLB like people do the NFL. I can only speak for myself, but I don't watch any baseball other than the Phillies and the postseason. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,770
    Right - baseball is completely regional. I actually cock my head when people say they like watching any baseball game. It's kinda weird.
  • Options
    As well as trying to get people who used to like baseball to like it again. And it seems like a tall task to get people to follow the entire MLB like people do the NFL. I can only speak for myself, but I don't watch any baseball other than the Phillies and the postseason. 
    Football's league wide popularity is built off fantasy. No one who doesn't play fantasy football is watching some random out of conference game.

So you are exactly what baseball wants.  There are 162 baseball games.  No one expects anyone but absolute die hards to watch anything but their local team and the playoffs.  If there were 20 teams trying to compete, paying good players and there were 20 markets that were heavily invested in their team, baseball would be thrilled.

Also, baseball revenue is higher than it has ever been...
  • Options
    Right - baseball is completely regional. I actually cock my head when people say they like watching any baseball game. It's kinda weird.
    Completely regional. It is and always has been this way.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Football's league wide popularity is built off fantasy. No one who doesn't play fantasy football is watching some random out of conference game.
    I don’t think that second part is true. I’ve never played fantasy or even thought about it and I don’t know anyone that’s a die hard fantasy nerd and we’re always chatting about random games outside of our personal favorites and maybe the other regional teams.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    True. Hitters also rarely stepped out of box between pitches back then. Little stuff like that adds up .
    What about using a new ball EVERY time it hits the dirt?  That seems to happen a bunch of times during a game which will disrupt a rhythm.

Ball hits dirt catcher waits with hand out for ball, throws back to pitcher, pitcher steps off rubber rubbing ball to get the feel back.

Just an idea.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725

So you are exactly what baseball wants.  There are 162 baseball games.  No one expects anyone but absolute die hards to watch anything but their local team and the playoffs.  If there were 20 teams trying to compete, paying good players and there were 20 markets that were heavily invested in their team, baseball would be thrilled.

I agree about the impact of fantasy football, but I don't think only fantasy players watch games not involving their teams. 

And speaking of the high revenue of baseball, I saw a breakdown of Harper's contract this morning. He's going to make in three innings what I make in a year. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,770
    Anyway, the three pitcher minimum is fucking stupid.

Did they limit the amount of times catchers can meet with the pitcher? I know they limited the amount coaches & managers can but didn't know about random conferences on the mound. That stuff is the worst.

Get rid of the countdown between innings. It's made my entertainment from the Phanatic to be SHIT.

I don't mind a pitch clock for pitchers, though I'll say what pitcher doesn't want to speed up the game? It's in your favor as the pitcher.

If they implement a rule to get rid of the shift my head may explode.

And the league wants more offense but shorter games? That is not a thing.
  • Options
    Kris Bryant has had a bad last 2 years.  He was hurt last year but the year before he had some drops in production.

You guys that follow the cubbies closely have any idea why?

Hoping the Angels bring up some of their farm team this year.  Maitan I'm talking to you!I
    I am really hoping he is healthy and goes back to his MVP form. He is just too damned good to have mediocre seasons.
  • Options
    Anyway, the three pitcher minimum is fucking stupid.

Did they limit the amount of times catchers can meet with the pitcher? I know they limited the amount coaches & managers can but didn't know about random conferences on the mound. That stuff is the worst.

Get rid of the countdown between innings. It's made my entertainment from the Phanatic to be SHIT.

I don't mind a pitch clock for pitchers, though I'll say what pitcher doesn't want to speed up the game? It's in your favor as the pitcher.

If they implement a rule to get rid of the shift my head may explode.

And the league wants more offense but shorter games? That is not a thing.
    That is most definitely not a thing!

Catchers or coaches going to the mound is a mound visit.

I don't hate the 3 batter minimum as much as I thought I would based on what I have read. Only certain teams abuse it. I posted this yesterday, but the Yankees only faced that situation 2 times last year where a pitcher either didn't face 3 batters or finish an inning.
  • Options

I agree about the impact of fantasy football, but I don't think only fantasy players watch games not involving their teams. 

And speaking of the high revenue of baseball, I saw a breakdown of Harper's contract this morning. He's going to make in three innings what I make in a year. 
    So maybe not just fantasy but gambling in general.  Gambling has a massive impact on football's popularity.

But that is precisely the only problem baseball has.  Less than half the league is trying to win.  It is a regional sport and how can you expect people to invest the time into baseball when the team stinks and is terrible to watch.  You can in football because it's once a week.  If there were more teams in the mix for Harper, god knows any team can afford him, then baseball would be in a better spot in areas it's not in a good place in.  He makes a ton of money, but good for him. Rather him make the money than Middleton.