MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

ha. the nats broadcast is one of the few I wouldn't trade for the phils guys

Did you see what he said about how strasberg should suck it up and stop crying?

I think I heard about it on MLB Network. didn't see his exact quote. dibble is a blowheard meathead. I'd bet he was on the sauce when he played
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    CHICAGO -- A waiver claim for Manny Ramirez was awarded to the White Sox on Friday, as confirmed to MLB.com by a Major League source.

But if the White Sox want to add Ramirez, they might need to become fans of the Rockies and the Phillies over the next five days, leading up to Tuesday's deadline to consummate a trade.

The Dodgers want to move Ramirez and especially the remaining $4 million-plus on his contract. But the recent sweep by Los Angeles in Milwaukee improved the team's position in the National League Wild Card race, so it's hard to call the Dodgers sellers.

With crucial head-to-head series against contenders (Colorado beginning Friday night, Philadelphia beginning Monday night and San Francisco beginning next Friday night), and the indisputable fact that they are a better team when a healthy Ramirez is in the lineup, Dodgers management might wait until Tuesday's deadline before deciding what to do. The Dodgers currently sit five games out in the NL Wild Card race, but also in fifth place.

Meanwhile, the Dodgers and the White Sox can spend that time working on a deal, which also includes an anticipated demand by Ramirez for a contract extension in exchange for waiving his no-trade clause.

The White Sox more than likely placed a waiver claim on Ramirez with the understanding that the framework of a trade was in place or the Dodgers would pull back Ramirez. That latter move would not leave the White Sox to pay the full amount of his remaining salary.

The Dodgers have until Tuesday, the last day for a player to be eligible for a postseason roster, to make a trade involving Ramirez, decide to keep him or let the claiming team take him and the approximate total of $4.5 million he's owed, with $3.3 million deferred.

White Sox general manager Ken Williams gave a somewhat mixed response when asked about the White Sox current financial state in regard to adding another impact player.

"Whenever I've talked to [White Sox chairman] Jerry [Reinsdorf], it's less about money, even though we are stretched right now," Williams said. "We are stretched and quite frankly looking at walkups every day to see exactly what we're going to have available to us. But he certainly hasn't given me any reason to think there are any restrictions right now on dollars."

One school of thought is that the Dodgers will wait until the last moment to decide on a trade, letting another weekend pass to see if they remain in contention for a National League playoff spot. The Dodgers entered Friday's action sitting in fifth place in the NL Wild Card race but only five games behind the top spot.

Paying the $4.5 million to Ramirez for one month of service -- basically $1 million more than left-hander John Danks is earning for the full 2010 campaign -- would seem like a prohibitive cost. But the White Sox play 16 of their final 22 games at U.S. Cellular Field, including four against the Red Sox from Sept. 27-30, and the presence of Ramirez could increase the daily gate.

Ramirez would serve as the team's primary designated hitter, reducing playing time for Mark Kotsay, Andruw Jones and potentially Mark Teahen. The White Sox hope to get a motivated Ramirez in his last month before he enters free agency, with his bat helping to give the White Sox pitching staff a little more leeway to work and giving them a better chance to make up 3 1/2 games on the American League Central-leading Twins.

With the White Sox moving away from a player who basically would be limited to just one lineup spot entering the 2010 campaign -- although Ramirez could play the outfield -- it is unlikely they would commit to him past September and what they hope would be October. Ramirez would prefer to serve as a designated hitter past 2010.

"Well, ideally, that's always my preference -- help for today and help for tomorrow as well," said Williams, referring to the claim of Alex Rios last August, aimed to help in 2010 and beyond. "Sometimes you're in the mode of just getting into the playoffs and you shoot for help today. Every name that goes on the wire, we take a look at and explore the possibilities."

The White Sox declined to address the Ramirez claim on Friday, saying they "won't/can't comment on waivers" via text. The Dodgers also had no comment on the situation.

The Rangers were confirmed to have put in a waiver claim on Ramirez, but the waiver process awards the claim in reverse order by record, meaning the White Sox, with the lesser record, were ahead of the Rangers in their pursuit of Ramirez.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb
  • norm, is it too late to order my #99 Dodgers jersey?
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    norm, is it too late to order my #99 Dodgers jersey?

if we keep winning :lol: sorry it's tough to say that with a straight face, then you might have plenty of time...but if he's moved, you'll probably be able to get one cheap on ebay :P
    no way this is true. these gun readings are BS

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sp ... ml?sid=101
    OK, I'm sick of hearing about manny again.

Manny + Hawk Harrleson = The Fixer now pulling for the Twins in the AL central
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    The Fixer wrote:
    OK, I'm sick of hearing about manny again.

Manny + Hawk Harrleson = The Fixer now pulling for the Twins in the AL central

I gotta say - and I can completely understand why people hate him - I kinda like The Hawk.
    What an awesome fight between the Nats and Fish. Morgan's a punk. LOVED how Sanchez dropped that little shit.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    What an awesome fight between the Nats and Fish. Morgan's a punk. LOVED how Sanchez dropped that little shit.

He's an ass! Just saw the highlights on Baseball tonight. Let's steal 2nd and 3rd when were down 10 runs. He got exactly what he deserved! And he acted like a douche afterwards saluting the crowd. :roll: Sanchez clobbered him with a clothesline :lol:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • I think the season is pretty much wrapped up.

NL: Atlanta takes the east, Cincinnati takes the central (what the heck happened to the Cards?!), Padres take the West. The NL Wild Card is pretty much the only playoff spot in flux but I think Philly will get it and not San Fran.

AL: Texas wins the west, Twins take the central, Yanks win the east and Tampa gets the WC.

Of course I want my Twins to win it all but both they and the Rangers will have their work cut out for them against the big shots in the east.
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
    I think the season is pretty much wrapped up.

NL: Atlanta takes the east, Cincinnati takes the central (what the heck happened to the Cards?!), Padres take the West. The NL Wild Card is pretty much the only playoff spot in flux but I think Philly will get it and not San Fran.

AL: Texas wins the west, Twins take the central, Yanks win the east and Tampa gets the WC.

Of course I want my Twins to win it all but both they and the Rangers will have their work cut out for them against the big shots in the east.

Nothing is wrapped up in the NL.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    That was sweet.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    I think the season is pretty much wrapped up.

cards are frauds
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Rob dibble got canned for his strasburg comments. I'm happy about this, that guy is an idiot
    You got knocked THA FUCK out.

MorganMound2.gif
    You got knocked THA FUCK out.

MorganMound2.gif

his 1B coach saved his life. damn him...I wanted to see that little *edited word* get the shit kicked out of him
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    I'd like to see the Phillies end the season on a 29 game losing streak :D

Go Braves!!!
    I'd like to see the Phillies end the season on a 29 game losing streak :D

Go Braves!!!

I think this is the first Braves fan I've heard from here ever. Damnit, why can't there be more of you??? This is no fun without some die hards to make fun of.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    I think there are maybe 2 other Atlanta fans....and I don't think they've posted about baseball since 2005 :lol:
    Anyone watching this trevor hoffman celebration? Seems pretty over the top to me.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Carlos Pena is somehow batting .201. I knew it was bad, but I didn't know it was that bad. It would be pretty spectacular if he ended the season under .200.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Carlos Pena is somehow batting .201. I knew it was bad, but I didn't know it was that bad. It would be pretty spectacular if he ended the season under .200.

that is pretty crazy. will be interesting to see where he ends up next year
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Magic Number = 10.
    :D
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    Flagg wrote:
    Magic Number = 10.

You guys going to get Hamilton back?

Intersting read the other day about how he is getting nervous about the celebration. I really feel for anyone with an addiction like that.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Flagg wrote:
    Magic Number = 10.

Intersting read the other day about how he is getting nervous about the celebration. I really feel for anyone with an addiction like that.

That is crazy. I also feel for anyone with tattoos as terrible as his. The flames on the forearms isn't a look I'd recommend
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Flagg wrote:
    Magic Number = 10.

That is crazy. I also feel for anyone with tattoos as terrible as his. The flames on the forearms isn't a look I'd recommend

Yeah, he said he does not even want to get it on his skin or anything. Sad. I know teams in the past have used non alcoholic drinks for the spraying and showering in similar situations. Hopefully the Rangers do too.

His tattoos are god awful.
    Nationals are considering letting Harper play in the AFL, so much for not rushing him.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Nice run by the Astros to even be flirting with .500!!! hope next year is a better year....but it stings like crazy to be without Oswalt & Berkman.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Nationals are considering letting Harper play in the AFL, so much for not rushing him.

I don't think there's any harm in that. Not like he's a pitcher with an innings cap.

Have to admit that he is a guy I'm openly rooting against. Just seems like a gigantic d-bag
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I don't think there's any harm in that. Not like he's a pitcher with an innings cap.

Have to admit that he is a guy I'm openly rooting against. Just seems like a gigantic d-bag

No? The kid has yet to play an inning of A ball and they are going to throw him out there against Double and Triple A players, pitchers specifically. Community college to the AFL is a huge jump.