Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,422
     Hey Rob Manfred: "Just a piece of Metal"? 

https://youtu.be/yngq9NmOnFw
  • Options
    OK, so I actually thought that this cheating thing was rampant in the MLB and thought "no big deal".

NEVER have I seen a backlash of players coming out publicly and ripping the players, never.

Trout and Judge said something so that leaves me to believe that other teams weren't doing it.

I will now officially reverse my stance on how this was not a bigger deal than what I initially thought and now say that it is a HUGE deal.

Man I was really, really wrong on this one...

With the Astros players and owners doing a shit job at trying to gain forgiveness they continue to make themselves look worse.

Strip the title from them now.  Players have immunity for 17 but if they cheated in 18 or 19 then bring the hammer down on them.  I'm ok with a ban now.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Just put a Patriots logo next to the Astros in the record books and call it a day. 
  • Options
    And we need a Patriots logo for the 2018 red sox title as well.  
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,772
    Jason P said:
    Boston is loooovvvving this. They get to fly under the radar while Houston gets all of the wrath.
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    Boston is loooovvvving this. They get to fly under the radar while Houston gets all of the wrath.
    You don't and won't hear a peep out of a boston player about this because their time is coming soon.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,323
    Manfred apologizes for calling the World Series trophy a piece of metal. Can't believe he devalued what these guys are playing for
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Manfred apologizes for calling the World Series trophy a piece of metal. Can't believe he devalued what these guys are playing for
    I never thought anyone could make Goodell look so good by comparison. This guy is a mess. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,455
    vegas O/U on astros plunking at 83.5.

which way are ya going?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    I hope it is over 
    Ear hole time, ya fucking floating bastards
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,261
    The only person happy with the way Manfred is handling his job is Bud Fucking Selig.

I never imagined a worse commissioner. Jesus what a shit show...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    If you're outraged by sign stealing and your favorite MLB team won playoff games and series and maybe even WS titles with PED-abusing players on your team's roster...then you are a hypocrite and need to take a seat.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Options
    YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    Black Sox and PED scandals are much worse than this current scandal.  Titles will never be vacated btw.  This is not the NCAA.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Manfreds really been a dipshit these past couple days but his still miles ahead of Selig.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Yefa said:
    Black Sox and PED scandals are much worse than this current scandal.  Titles will never be vacated btw.  This is not the NCAA.
    Not PED’s, at least according to anyone that has actually played and has weighed in.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    The only person happy with the way Manfred is handling his job is Bud Fucking Selig.

Gary Bettman wins for worst commissioner. Letting all those northeast teams go south, basically allowing the stars to cheat against the sabers in the cup finals, getting rid of two line passing, 2 refs on the ice, visors for every player, 2 lockouts, I could go on. He literally gets booed handing of the stanley cup to the winning team. 
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Yefa said:
    If you're outraged by sign stealing and your favorite MLB team won playoff games and series and maybe even WS titles with PED-abusing players on your team's roster...then you are a hypocrite and need to take a seat.
    Every team had PED cheaters on it.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,849
    Yefa said:
    Black sox yes, ped no.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611

Gary Bettman wins for worst commissioner. Letting all those northeast teams go south, basically allowing the stars to cheat against the sabers in the cup finals, getting rid of two line passing, 2 refs on the ice, visors for every player, 2 lockouts, I could go on. He literally gets booed handing of the stanley cup to the winning team. 
    As a hockey fan, and a Sabres fan, I disagree.

IMO, Selig was far worse, and Manfred is making Selig look like Mountain Landis.

Bettman has been overall good for the NHL and hockey.  The sport has grown in the US, and the two lockouts were necessary for the sport, and decisive wins for Bettman's side.  The result of those lockouts is that places like Buffalo and Winnipeg and Edmonton (and others) can remain in business.  

There are some terrible things as well.  Offsides challenge, awful points/standings system, terrible league discipline.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,849

You are not a fan of visors for every player?  Greg MacTavish agrees lol.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

You are not a fan of visors for every player?  Greg MacTavish agrees lol.
    Have the goalies go back to Gump Worsley style w no masks!
  • Options
    No one else is commenting on what Judge said?
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,323
    Manfred was actually doing fine until the "baseballs questions" then this scandal.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    igotid88 said:
    I never thought anyone could make Goodell look so good by comparison. This guy is a mess. 
    It's like in order to be a commissioner of one of the 4 major North American sports leagues, you have to be a total moron and be completely out of touch with sports.

• Options
    igotid88 said:
    It's like in order to be a commissioner of one of the 4 major North American sports leagues, you have to be a total moron and be completely out of touch with sports.

That's not completely accurate.  You need to be able to deflect crap from the owners and project it onto yourself and make sure the corporation is still making money.

Acting like a moron may be part of the prerequisites for applying though?
  • Options
    Joe Girardi may just admitted to using a sign stealing system: "I was part of a system where it came from upstairs, to someone in the dugout, to the hitt.. er 2nd base ..." on the MLB network.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/1910522/joe-girardi-admits-to-having-been-part-of-a-system-to-steal-signs-wait-what
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,600
    Jason P said:
    Joe Girardi may just admitted to using a sign stealing system: "I was part of a system where it came from upstairs, to someone in the dugout, to the hitt.. er 2nd base ..." on the MLB network.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/1910522/joe-girardi-admits-to-having-been-part-of-a-system-to-steal-signs-wait-what
    Assuming it stopped when the yankees and Red Sox got slapped on the wrist and the letters went out, then this is old news. 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,221
    Big assumption.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    It will be interesting to see what teams have outspoken players on the sign stealing and what teams have no players commenting on the sign stealing over spring training (other then "we need to move on").  I can't imagine anyone that has been in a cheating system will say a peep.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Assuming it stopped when the yankees and Red Sox got slapped on the wrist and the letters went out, then this is old news. 
    Jason P said:
    It will be interesting to see what teams have outspoken players on the sign stealing and what teams have no players commenting on the sign stealing over spring training (other then "we need to move on").  I can't imagine anyone that has been in a cheating system will say a peep.
    This was why I had said it was no big deal at first.  Figured most teams were doing it in one form or another.  No players said anything.

After the dust has settled and you have players like Judge and Trout saying something then you know things weren't as widespread as I had thought.