Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,773
    Just remembered that stupid 3-batter pitcher minimum is happening this year. So fucking stupid.
    I actually like it. The games take way too long with all these pitching changes in the 7th, 8th, and 9th innings. 

It'll also lead to some new managerial strategies being deployed (especially in the NL) so that can be interesting. 
    The thing is there's a contradiction in what the league wants - they want shorter games, but more offense. You can have one or the other but not both.

You're going to get longer games because some pitcher who sucks will have to stay in and finish his minimum while giving up 17 homers. But I guess they're cool with it because they get more offense. It's just dumb,.

For a sport that's the least progressive when it comes to actual rule changes and the such, it just seems that this being it -  their first time dipping their toe in the water of really fucking with the rules - it seems like a pretty dumb one.

The DH is already coming to the NL, it's an inevitability, so I don't see how combining that with this new rule is a good thing.
  • Options
    Just remembered that stupid 3-batter pitcher minimum is happening this year. So fucking stupid.
    I actually like it. The games take way too long with all these pitching changes in the 7th, 8th, and 9th innings. 

It'll also lead to some new managerial strategies being deployed (especially in the NL) so that can be interesting. 
    The thing is there's a contradiction in what the league wants - they want shorter games, but more offense. You can have one or the other but not both.

You're going to get longer games because some pitcher who sucks will have to stay in and finish his minimum while giving up 17 homers. But I guess they're cool with it because they get more offense. It's just dumb,.

For a sport that's the least progressive when it comes to actual rule changes and the such, it just seems that this being it -  their first time dipping their toe in the water of really fucking with the rules - it seems like a pretty dumb one.

The DH is already coming to the NL, it's an inevitability, so I don't see how combining that with this new rule is a good thing.
    Well to each their own. I like it. 

And what's with the section I bolded? If he sucks, he'll get pulled after the third batter. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options

Well to each their own. I like it. 

And what's with the section I bolded? If he sucks, he'll get pulled after the third batter. 
    Fair enough. 

Sorry, I got ahead of myself. I mean he gets pulled after either he loads the bases or gives up a 3 run homer. Which now you have to pull the pitcher anyway.
  • Options

Baseball doesn't really want the rules to change.  I seriously believe that.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited February 2020
    3-batter minimum is about the dumbest damn thing I've ever heard of.  I'm also tired of the whole "the games are too long" bullshit. Christ everyone acts like baseball games all take as long as Nascar races or something, the way people talk.  Any baseball game is no longer than an average NFL game and dummies all across the nation sit and watch that crap with eyes glued. Get the hell over it with baseball.
  • Options
    3-batter minimum is about the dumbest damn thing I've ever heard of.  I'm also tired of the whole "the games are too long" bullshit. Christ everyone acts like baseball games all take as long as Nascar races or something, the way people talk.  Any baseball game is no longer than an average NFL game and dummies all across the nation sit and watch that crap with eyes glued. Get the hell over it with baseball.
    I look forward to 3hour NASCAR races!!!  Daytona in 2 weeks!!!
  • Options

To me I just don't think a lot of the actual game is conducive to rule changes. I'm fine with universal DH and geographic realignment. To me they are the kind of archaic things that make baseball outdated, not the rules. I'm also in favor of instant replay, but not touching the strike zone - that one is going to hurt a lot when and if it happens.
  • Options
    I look forward to 3hour NASCAR races!!!  Daytona in 2 weeks!!!
    I'd maybe watch one here & there if they were only 3 hours long!
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617

To me I just don't think a lot of the actual game is conducive to rule changes. I'm fine with universal DH and geographic realignment. To me they are the kind of archaic things that make baseball outdated, not the rules. I'm also in favor of instant replay, but not touching the strike zone - that one is going to hurt a lot when and if it happens.

Avatar changes suck.  Suddenly I have to read who posted?
    :)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

It's a new era. Era of George.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617

It's a new era. Era of George.

"I proclaim this....The Summer of George!"
    :lol:

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,600
    I was awfully confused at first too 
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,600
    There were buzzers, folks

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Mets offseason ...

• Options
    There were buzzers, folks

If there was buzzers the MLB brass doesn't want it known.

I've said this before, let the reporters keep on digging.  No way this doesn't get talked about by one of the team members or slips up.

It would be one hell of a cover up if no one says anything.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    My take on Mike B earlier in this thread:

There is no exact science to it and needs some tweaking or combing over of more info.  That tweet is the perfect example of overreacting though.  People are going to run with that story and that player not being in the big leagues anymore and want people burned at the stake and not look into that player any further.

He let up 126 earned runs in 230 ip over 4 years for a robust era of 4.92.  That .1 of an inning may have had something to do with him not playing but he wasn't going to be around much longer considering his previous outings unless he played all of his games against the Astros.

He is now playing in Japan w an era of 4.42.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    I could see he could make a claim that the Astros screwed him if he got called up for the first time and was immediately sent back down, never to return.  In such a circumstance, I would award him zero dollars but feel bad for him.  
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    edited February 2020
    I think it’s funny more than anything. Seems it would be reasonable for some of their fines to go towards helping those guys on the fringe though.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,422
    Any thoughts on expanding the Playoffs?

Report: MLB could allow teams to choose opponents in playoff expansion
    3h ago
    Daniel Shirey / Major League Baseball / Getty
    OAKLAND CA - OCTOBER 02 A detail shot of the Hankook Tires and the American League Wild Card logos in the dugout prior to the AL Wild Card game between the Tampa Bay Rays and the Oakland Athletics at Oakland Coliseum on Wednesday October 2 2019 in Oakland California

Major League Baseball is considering an expansion to its playoff format from five teams to seven in each league beginning in 2022, reports Joel Sherman of the New York Post.

Under this new format, the team with the best record in each league would get a bye into the Division Series while the other division winners would take turns choosing their opponent from the wild-card teams on live television.

The club with the second-best record in the league would get first crack at picking an opponent. After the division winners make their selection, the remaining wild-card team with the best record would host the other leftover team.

One key difference would be the elimination of the one-game playoff. The division winners - and top remaining wild-card team - would host all three games of a best-of-three wild-card round.

Baseball's current structure - implemented in 2012 - has two wild-card teams in both the American League and National League. Those clubs face off in a one-game playoff with the winners advancing to their respective Division Series.

These changes would need approval from the Major League Baseball Players' Association. The current collective bargaining agreement is set to expire after next season.

If this plan comes to fruition, it would not be the first time MLB has expanded its postseason scope. The original wild card was introduced in 1995 with only one team per league qualifying when both leagues moved to a three-division format.

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,455
    ^^^^ dumb.

back in the day, TWO teams made the playoffs.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Speaking of dumb rule changes. Jesus. I mean I like making the wild card series an actual series. But a bye and 14 (!!) teams? Come the fuck on.

Give me 10 playoff teams - 3 game playoff WC, 7 game series LDS/LCS/WS; universal DH; geographic realignment and do away with the two leagues; and, sure, add two more expansion teams. I can live with these kind of changes. 
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    No
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,856
    I love it. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,221
    Wobbie said:
    ^^^^ dumb.

back in the day, TWO teams made the playoffs.
    Nobody on this board is old enough to remember that...except you of course.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I love the way it is now. Wild card games are the most exciting days of the season and there are never 8 teams capable of winning the WS even if you count the teams that were average and got hot for a month.

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    just expand the wild card to 3 games.  1 game is dumb.  adding more teams doesn't make any sense either. Adding teams would expand the dates even further for the World Series.  it's already too far into November as it is.
  • Options
    Agree on WC expansion to three games.
  • Options
    Game 7 of this past World Series was on October 30th.
  • Options
    Rob Manfred needs to be stopped.  Jesus Christ he is ruining baseball.