MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    Betts Goes to the Dodgers?  Suck it @Wobbie
    Doyers suck

They suck all day long.
    That much talent.
    That salary

Nothing to show for it.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Betts Goes to the Dodgers?  Suck it @Wobbie
    Doyers suck

They suck all day long.
    That much talent.
    That salary

Nothing to show for it.

Wasn't everyone bitching about the Astros cheating against them?
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Just an absolutely atrocious trade. The Red Sox are garbage, and their fans should be rioting. I can't wait for these new CBA negotiations.
  • Ernie VedderErnie Vedder Redlands, CA Posts: 2,221
    :lol:
    A54CDC74-AB63-4EC8-9B55-3658DDD136FC-13112-000005CA4B5AFE40_zps094ecfbc.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Just an absolutely atrocious trade. The Red Sox are garbage, and their fans should be rioting. I can't wait for these new CBA negotiations.
    It is a disgrace
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Dodgers are Mr. Burns softball team.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    Doyers suck

They suck all day long.
    That much talent.
    That salary

Nothing to show for it.

Wasn't everyone bitching about the Astros cheating against them?
    The Astros being cheaters doesn't change my statement.  Kirk Gibson part of their last championship team?
    :lol: 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,928
    edited February 2020
    Fuck, I dont ever post on this thread. But I am fucking disgusted at this Mookie trade. Complete horse shit.

I get that the Sox were unlikely to resign him, but dumping one of the best players in the game for a minimal return is hard to support.
    Post edited by lmckenney24 on
    If anyone ever hears another analyst say the Yankees, Dodgers, and Red Sox are on another level they can immediately be told to shut up. The Red Sox are obviously no Dodgers, let alone even remotely close to the Yankees.
  • lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,928
    If anyone ever hears another analyst say the Yankees, Dodgers, and Red Sox are on another level they can immediately be told to shut up. The Red Sox are obviously no Dodgers, let alone even remotely close to the Yankees.
    My buddy just said the same thing. From a payroll perspective, you're spot on. 
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I always say this whenever something in the MLB turns me off (and Im no Red Sox fan)...

They really need to revamp the entire economic system and structure of the sport or it will go the way of Horse Racing and Boxing in the next 40 years.

You draft and develop a Mookie Betts (or in my case a Francisco Lindor), your team should have a reasonable ability to hang on to that player for all/most of his career.  We will never again have franchise icons unless you are a fan of a couple select teams.  Tony Gwynn, Cal Ripkin, Ty Cobb, Derek Jeter, Ozzie Smith, etc arent the same if they played for a bunch of different teams. 
    MayDay10 said:
    I always say this whenever something in the MLB turns me off (and Im no Red Sox fan)...

They really need to revamp the entire economic system and structure of the sport or it will go the way of Horse Racing and Boxing in the next 40 years.

You draft and develop a Mookie Betts (or in my case a Francisco Lindor), your team should have a reasonable ability to hang on to that player for all/most of his career.  We will never again have franchise icons unless you are a fan of a couple select teams.  Tony Gwynn, Cal Ripkin, Ty Cobb, Derek Jeter, Ozzie Smith, etc arent the same if they played for a bunch of different teams. 
    Here's the thing. The Red Sox do have the ability to keep Mookie. They are choosing not to to save money on the luxury tax.  The owner is the owner of one of the most valuable franchises in American sports along with the best club soccer team on the planet with a valuation of the two at around $7 billion.

Lindor is certainly a slightly different story, but let's not cry poor for the Red Sox not being able to sign Betts. They are choosing not to sign Betts to line their own pockets.
    edited February 2020
    MayDay10 said:

Here's the thing. The Red Sox do have the ability to keep Mookie. They are choosing not to to save money on the luxury tax.  The owner is the owner of one of the most valuable franchises in American sports along with the best club soccer team on the planet with a valuation of the two at around $7 billion.

Lindor is certainly a slightly different story, but let's not cry poor for the Red Sox not being able to sign Betts. They are choosing not to sign Betts to line their own pockets.
    ^ This.

There's definitely something broken in the system, but it's certainly not because the Boston Red Sox have the inability to hold on to a generational player. It's because owners of teams like the Red Sox can cry "poor" and point to a made-up, farcical "salary cap".
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
    MayDay10 said:

^ This.

There's definitely something broken in the system, but it's certainly not because the Boston Red Sox have the inability to hold on to a generational player. It's because owners of teams like the Red Sox can cry "poor" and point to a made-up, farcicle "salary cap".
    Yep.  Oh, you may have to pay a $12 million tax?  You can find that in your couch cushion. 
    Also, I find it amusing that the Yankees are blowing by the luxury tax for the foreseeable future, especially if they pay Judge/Sanchez/Gleyber, I assume believing that the luxury tax or whatever salary cap structure will increase with the new CBA, meanwhile Boston is doing the opposite
    Via baseballreference: 

"In Major League Baseball, 48% of local revenues are subject to revenue sharing and are distributed equally among all 30 teams, with each team receiving 3.3% of the total sum generated. As a result, in 2018, each team received $118 million from this pot. Teams also receive a share of national revenues, which were estimated to be $91 million per team, also in 2018."

To that I say:  Ahhhhhhahahahahaha
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Via baseballreference: 

"In Major League Baseball, 48% of local revenues are subject to revenue sharing and are distributed equally among all 30 teams, with each team receiving 3.3% of the total sum generated. As a result, in 2018, each team received $118 million from this pot. Teams also receive a share of national revenues, which were estimated to be $91 million per team, also in 2018."

The Pirates must have lost those checks 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Via baseballreference: 

You beat me to this.

Now the local teams also sign HUGE TV deals or the Mets and or Yankees have their own stations and make even more.

If a team is crying foul that they are poor it is utter bullshit.

The damn Halos are NOT a big market team yet they have the ability to keep a player like Mike Trout.  Now surround him w some good pitching and we can add hardware to 2002.
  • Great article on my Halos and Trout.  It doesn't mention of the bright future of Adams and Adell whom they have in the pipes though.
    https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28577463/ten-reasons-mike-trout-mlb-best-player-2010s-won-playoff-game
    Via baseballreference: 

You beat me to this.

Now the local teams also sign HUGE TV deals or the Mets and or Yankees have their own stations and make even more.

If a team is crying foul that they are poor it is utter bullshit.

The damn Halos are NOT a big market team yet they have the ability to keep a player like Mike Trout.  Now surround him w some good pitching and we can add hardware to 2002.
    Correct - that RSN money each team receives is able to keep it without it going to revenue sharing. Which I think in a way is fair, or at least a more equitable way, of boosting the competitive balance for "small market" teams.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    edited February 2020
    Great article on my Halos and Trout.  It doesn't mention of the bright future of Adams and Adell whom they have in the pipes though.
    https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28577463/ten-reasons-mike-trout-mlb-best-player-2010s-won-playoff-game
    I am excited for the Angels season......Ohtani is back healthy, Upton is healthy, Pujols is still good for .260/25/100, Rendon will be a huge contributor, and hopefully Joc Pedersen will have a good year!

Not to mention David Fletcher (a back-up to Rendon?) & Andrelton Simmons on the left side of the infield, as well as Tommy La Stella at 2nd.

Lets just hope the pitching has a decent year!

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    Mets ruined their sale
    I miss igotid88
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400

This is true because the Red Sox have won 4 WS this Century while the NYY have won 1 and LA 0.

It may sound crazy but now the Red Sox have a better shot at signing Mookie Betts next off season now that they re-set the Luxury Tax?

Lets not forget that the NYY & LA Dodgers made sure to get below the Luxury Tax Threshold to re-set. I listen to a Jayson Stark Podcast with Ken Rosenthal and they explained how teams get penalized by being over the Luxury Tax Threshold for a few years in a row and the price to pay is steep. its not just money either. Its slot money and raft Picks. After hearing it its too complex for me as my head was spinning>LOL

• igotid88 said:
    Mets ruined their sale
    That is the absolute most Mets thing they could do.  Good job Wilpon!
  • cutz said:

This is true because the Red Sox have won 4 WS this Century while the NYY have won 1 and LA 0.

It may sound crazy but now the Red Sox have a better shot at signing Mookie Betts next off season now that they re-set the Luxury Tax?

Lets not forget that the NYY & LA Dodgers made sure to get below the Luxury Tax Threshold to re-set. I listen to a Jayson Stark Podcast with Ken Rosenthal and they explained how teams get penalized by being over the Luxury Tax Threshold for a few years in a row and the price to pay is steep. its not just money either. Its slot money and raft Picks. After hearing it its too complex for me as my head was spinning>LOL

If you are winning though it doesn't matter.  The extra revenue for the team gets covered from Playoff and or WS money, which is huge.

The Redsox don't have much faith in what  they have apparently and need to get under that tax now and go from there.
  • JOEJOEJOE said:
    Great article on my Halos and Trout.  It doesn't mention of the bright future of Adams and Adell whom they have in the pipes though.
    I am excited for the Angels season......Ohtani is back healthy, Upton is healthy, Pujols is still good for .260/25/100, Rendon will be a huge contributor, and hopefully Joc Pedersen will have a good year!

Not to mention David Fletcher (a back-up to Rendon?) & Andrelton Simmons on the left side of the infield, as well as Tommy La Stella at 2nd.

Give Joc a full 600 AB's and let's see what he does.

Simmons is a tremendous SS that gets little to no credit as I'm sure it's because he is shadowed by Trout and plays in the west.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    JOEJOEJOE said:

Simmons is a tremendous SS that gets little to no credit as I'm sure it's because he is shadowed by Trout and plays in the west.
    Joc is a nice upgrade from Kole Calhoun
  • JOEJOEJOE said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:

Joc is a nice upgrade from Kole Calhoun
    Poor ol Kole...  Would hit 20 hr and strike out 200 and bat 220...  It was time for him to go.

Welcome Joc!
    Just remembered that stupid 3-batter pitcher minimum is happening this year. So fucking stupid.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    edited February 2020
    Just remembered that stupid 3-batter pitcher minimum is happening this year. So fucking stupid.
    I actually like it. The games take way too long with all these pitching changes in the 7th, 8th, and 9th innings. 

It'll also lead to some new managerial strategies being deployed (especially in the NL) so that can be interesting. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com