MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    cutz said:
    Love this man.  Will really miss watching him.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • mfc2006 said:
    Beltre retired. Hell of a career.
    Yup. Was a blast watching him play even if he played for my least favorite team.
    He was good but don't think he is Hall worthy.  Good numbers and a few gold gloves.

3000 hits and almost 500 hrs.

Come on, man.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    mfc2006 said:
    Yup. Was a blast watching him play even if he played for my least favorite team.
    He was good but don't think he is Hall worthy.  Good numbers and a few gold gloves.

Come on, man.
    Only 3B in history with 3000 hits and 400 HR. And 1st among all 3B in hits, extra base hits, & RBI. More hits than any foreign player in MLB history. Only the 5th ever to hit 100 HR for each of three teams. Top 10 3B in games played, assists, putouts, and double plays.  He’s totally a HOFer!
  • mfc2006 said:

Come on, man.
    mfc2006 said:

Come on, man.
    Only 3B in history with 3000 hits and 400 HR. And 1st among all 3B in hits, extra base hits, & RBI. More hits than any foreign player in MLB history. Only the 5th ever to hit 100 HR for each of three teams. Top 10 3B in games played, assists, putouts, and double plays.  He’s totally a HOFer!
    No he is.  For whatever reason I spaced on him being someone else...

He is a first time HOFer.

My bad.
  • mfc2006 said:

Come on, man.
    mfc2006 said:

Come on, man.

My bad.

lol

It happens to the best of us. All good, brother!
  • mfc2006 said:

Come on, man.
    mfc2006 said:

Come on, man.

My bad.

lol

It happens to the best of us. All good, brother!
    Can you believe I was thinking of Todd Helton?!?

I just had a big discussion about him and had a moment of stupid...  Then I watched the video and it still didn't register.  Then someone mentioned 3000 hits and I was like, DUHHHHHHHHH...
    Yeah the one time Dodger...

Whoops...
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    edited November 2018
    1y Edgar Martinez10th
    2y Mike Mussina6th
    3y Roger Clemens7th
    4y Barry Bonds7th
    5y Curt Schilling7th
    6y Omar Vizquel2nd
    7y Larry Walker9th
    8y Fred McGriff10th
    9y Manny Ramirez3rd
    10y Jeff Kent6th
    11y Gary Sheffield5th
    12y Billy Wagner4th
    13y Scott Rolen2nd
    14y Sammy Sosa7th
    15y Andruw Jones2nd
    16y Mariano Rivera1st
    17y Roy Halladay1st
    18y Todd Helton1st
    19y Andy Pettitte1st
    20y Lance Berkman1st
    21y Roy Oswalt1st
    22y Miguel Tejada1st
    23y Placido Polanco1st
    24y Kevin Youkilis1st
    25y Derek Lowe1st
    26y Freddy Garcia1st
    27y Vernon Wells1st
    28y Ted Lilly1st
    29y Travis Hafner1st
    30y Jason Bay1st
    31y Michael Young1st
    32y Jon Garland1st
    33y Darren Oliver1st
    34y Juan Pierre1st
    35y Rick Ankiel1

35 players up for HOF consideration.  Years on the ballot on the right.

So the rules are you can vote for 10.  Do you vote all 10?

Wondering if I should make a poll?

Note: Click on the players name for a link to career stats.
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    I'd vote for;
    Rivera
    Clemens
    Mussina
    Bonds
    Schilling

What's the point of even putting the likes of Youk, Garland, Lilly and a few others on the ballot.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    pjhawks said:
    Poncier said:
    I would agree.

Pettite skates by on PED's but he used and blamed his father, no way he should get any consideration until the likes of Clemens, Bonds and several others are in. Still can't comprehend why he is given such a pass. Saint Andy my ass.
    Halladay may get sympathy votes due to his untimely death, but he really doesn't have the numbers. And Helton will not get in due to the Coors Field factor.

Rivera is a stone cold lock though. Should get at least 95% of the votes, as we know some d-bags won't vote for him so its not unanimous.
    here is an article in Philly today about Halladay.  His numbers were superior than almost everyone for a decade. he is definitely Hall worthy.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/phillies/roy-halladay-deserves-be-1st-ballot-hall-famer

Roy Halladay deserves to be a 1st-ballot Hall of Famer

Fans in Philadelphia didn’t get to enjoy Roy Halladay for very long. He had two stellar seasons, followed by two injury-plagued years that ended his playing career.

Halladay died in an aircraft accident one year ago. On Monday, Halladay was named among 35 players on the ballot for the 2019 Baseball Hall of Fame (see story).

Customarily, players have to wait five years for Hall of Fame eligibility. If a player dies, they're eligible six months after their death. There has been one exception to this rule in the last 65 years: Roberto Clemente was inducted in 1973, after dying in a plane crash on Dec. 31, 1972.

There are a handful of worthy names on this year’s ballot. And while Roy Halladay was forced into early retirement at 36, he is a pitcher with virtually no equals during his 15-plus major league seasons.

Halladay's death last year hit the Philadelphia sports community hard. His starts with the Phillies were appointment viewing, the likes of which the city hadn’t seen since Curt Schilling dominated teams in the 1990s.

And although fans in Philadelphia only saw two seasons of Halladay's excellence on the mound, his prime lasted a decade — the 2002 through the 2011 seasons.

Here are Halladay's ranks among all MLB pitchers during that span:

Wins — 170 (1st)

Win percentage — .694 (1st)

Complete Games — 63 (1st - by 30!)

Shutouts — 18 (1st)

K/BB Ratio — 4.57 (1st)

ERA — 2.97 (2nd)

ERA+ — 148 (2nd)

Innings — 2194.2 (2nd)

He also made eight All-Star teams, won two Cy Young Awards and finished in the top 5 in Cy Young voting seven times in that 10-year span.

From the years 1995 through 2017, Halladay has more complete games than any pitcher (67). Here's the thing: Halladay only pitched from 1998 through 2013.

Being the best pitcher in baseball for a season is a feat. Being the best pitcher in baseball for an entire decade is something that is truly special. Remember how great Tim Lincecum was at the start of his career? He also won two Cy Youngs. Lincecum didn't even make it to 10 full seasons in the big leagues before a degenerative hip injury derailed his career.

The end of Roy Halladay's baseball career, and his life, occurred far too soon. Voting him into the Baseball Hall of Fame next year would not be.

Being great for 10 years shouldn't get you in the hall, sorry...
    if being the most dominant pitcher over a decade isn't hall worthy then your hall inductions for pitchers are going to be nil in the coming years.  you can't use 1970 number plateau's for pitchers anymore. it doesn't work in today's game.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    pjhawks said:
    Poncier said:
    I would agree.

Pettite skates by on PED's but he used and blamed his father, no way he should get any consideration until the likes of Clemens, Bonds and several others are in. Still can't comprehend why he is given such a pass. Saint Andy my ass.
    Halladay may get sympathy votes due to his untimely death, but he really doesn't have the numbers. And Helton will not get in due to the Coors Field factor.

Rivera is a stone cold lock though. Should get at least 95% of the votes, as we know some d-bags won't vote for him so its not unanimous.
    here is an article in Philly today about Halladay.  His numbers were superior than almost everyone for a decade. he is definitely Hall worthy.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/phillies/roy-halladay-deserves-be-1st-ballot-hall-famer

Fans in Philadelphia didn’t get to enjoy Roy Halladay for very long. He had two stellar seasons, followed by two injury-plagued years that ended his playing career.

Halladay died in an aircraft accident one year ago. On Monday, Halladay was named among 35 players on the ballot for the 2019 Baseball Hall of Fame (see story).

Customarily, players have to wait five years for Hall of Fame eligibility. If a player dies, they're eligible six months after their death. There has been one exception to this rule in the last 65 years: Roberto Clemente was inducted in 1973, after dying in a plane crash on Dec. 31, 1972.

There are a handful of worthy names on this year’s ballot. And while Roy Halladay was forced into early retirement at 36, he is a pitcher with virtually no equals during his 15-plus major league seasons.

Halladay's death last year hit the Philadelphia sports community hard. His starts with the Phillies were appointment viewing, the likes of which the city hadn’t seen since Curt Schilling dominated teams in the 1990s.

And although fans in Philadelphia only saw two seasons of Halladay's excellence on the mound, his prime lasted a decade — the 2002 through the 2011 seasons.

Wins — 170 (1st)

Shutouts — 18 (1st)

K/BB Ratio — 4.57 (1st)

ERA — 2.97 (2nd)

ERA+ — 148 (2nd)

Innings — 2194.2 (2nd)

He also made eight All-Star teams, won two Cy Young Awards and finished in the top 5 in Cy Young voting seven times in that 10-year span.

From the years 1995 through 2017, Halladay has more complete games than any pitcher (67). Here's the thing: Halladay only pitched from 1998 through 2013.

Being the best pitcher in baseball for a season is a feat. Being the best pitcher in baseball for an entire decade is something that is truly special. Remember how great Tim Lincecum was at the start of his career? He also won two Cy Youngs. Lincecum didn't even make it to 10 full seasons in the big leagues before a degenerative hip injury derailed his career.

The end of Roy Halladay's baseball career, and his life, occurred far too soon. Voting him into the Baseball Hall of Fame next year would not be.

LOL, you realize how ridiculous that sounds?  Not even defending Halladay, but 10 years of greatness is basically what most HoF careers are made up of.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587

3y Roger Clemens7th
    4y Barry Bonds7th

10y Jeff Kent6th

16y Mariano Rivera1st

y Roy Halladay1st

I would vote for:
    Clemens
    Bonds
    (I can smell your) Kent
    Rivera
    Halladay

Sorry - f this shitty goddamn forum, I could not make the shitfuckingasswipe copy of the fucking excel go away.

Some of those names from the original list should never garner a single vote. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Poncier said:
    I would agree.

Wins — 170 (1st)

Shutouts — 18 (1st)

K/BB Ratio — 4.57 (1st)

ERA — 2.97 (2nd)

ERA+ — 148 (2nd)

Innings — 2194.2 (2nd)

if being the most dominant pitcher over a decade isn't hall worthy then your hall inductions for pitchers are going to be nil in the coming years.  you can't use 1970 number plateau's for pitchers anymore. it doesn't work in today's game.
    I know what you are saying so 250 wins would be good for me not 205 unless you won 20 games for 10 years which no one has done.

With the pitching I really do have to come to some sort of another way of looking at it.

I look at Lincecum and dude was lights out for a few years w a few Cy Youngs, does he get any mention?

Josh Beckett was a stud in the post season for quite a few years, does he get consideration?

Looking ahead does Baumgarner, Sale, Verlander, and Scherzer get in if they stop playing today?

There are so many variables...

Make your picks though please.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Poncier said:
    I would agree.

Wins — 170 (1st)

Shutouts — 18 (1st)

K/BB Ratio — 4.57 (1st)

ERA — 2.97 (2nd)

ERA+ — 148 (2nd)

Innings — 2194.2 (2nd)

Read yesterday that Halladay only qualified for the ERA title 8 years. That is tough.  He only had 8 seasons as a qualified starter...
    And hot take.  Halladay gets in a lot easier than he should because he flew a plane like an idiot.  Writers love stories.
  • DewieCox said:
    pjhawks said:
    Poncier said:
    I would agree.

Wins — 170 (1st)

Shutouts — 18 (1st)

K/BB Ratio — 4.57 (1st)

ERA — 2.97 (2nd)

ERA+ — 148 (2nd)

Innings — 2194.2 (2nd)

LOL, you realize how ridiculous that sounds?  Not even defending Halladay, but 10 years of greatness is basically what most HoF careers are made up of.
    Please direct me to any player that has only around 10 years of playing ball that has made it into the HOF.  You can even google it.

I know off the top of my head 2 and that's Dimaggio and Koufax.

Nobody makes it in off 10 good years.  If that were the case then McGriff, Walker and Martinez would have already be in...
  • Oh and you guys are really going to roast me for this.

I think Omar Vizquel should get in for his defense alone...
  • Poncier said:
    I'd vote for;
    Rivera
    Clemens
    Mussina
    Bonds
    Schilling

What's the point of even putting the likes of Youk, Garland, Lilly and a few others on the ballot.
    Sosa, Manny and Jones don't make it huh?
    Poncier said:
    I'd vote for;
    Rivera
    Clemens
    Mussina
    Bonds
    Schilling

Manny not being a hall of famer is comical.  The other two aren't.
  • pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Poncier said:
    I would agree.

Wins — 170 (1st)

Shutouts — 18 (1st)

K/BB Ratio — 4.57 (1st)

ERA — 2.97 (2nd)

ERA+ — 148 (2nd)

Innings — 2194.2 (2nd)

Agreed.

300 wins will never happen again. 200 is the new 300.

That being said... put Clemens in the gawddamn hall already. Geezuz.
  • pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Poncier said:
    I would agree.

Wins — 170 (1st)

Shutouts — 18 (1st)

K/BB Ratio — 4.57 (1st)

ERA — 2.97 (2nd)

ERA+ — 148 (2nd)

Innings — 2194.2 (2nd)

Agreed.

Using that logic though Mussina doesn't make it in considering the era he played then.

I still think 200 is too low.  You can have a half assed carrer and go 14  w 14 l games a year for 15 years and be considered.

No way.

Up it to 250 at least.
  • Poncier said:
    I'd vote for;
    Rivera
    Clemens
    Mussina
    Bonds
    Schilling

Manny not being a hall of famer is comical.  The other two aren't.
    Sosa was a 30/30 guy before he became a HR hitter.  I put him in.

Jones I am on the fence about but he was a really good outfielder too.  I am softening up about fielding and weigh it in now with players.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Oh and you guys are really going to roast me for this.

I think Omar Vizquel should get in for his defense alone...
    He was an amazing defensive player, no doubt.
    I do not vote for him but I can understand someone doing so.
    And hot take.  Halladay gets in a lot easier than he should because he flew a plane like an idiot.  Writers love stories.
    Agree that being a giant dumbass will actually help his voting cred. 

• pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Poncier said:
    I would agree.

Wins — 170 (1st)

Shutouts — 18 (1st)

K/BB Ratio — 4.57 (1st)

ERA — 2.97 (2nd)

ERA+ — 148 (2nd)

Innings — 2194.2 (2nd)

Agreed.

Using that logic though Mussina doesn't make it in considering the era he played then.

I still think 200 is too low.  You can have a half assed carrer and go 14  w 14 l games a year for 15 years and be considered.

No way.

Up it to 250 at least.

The numbers you present make sense; however, there is one variable that seems to differ from the past- arm injuries. It just seems that pitchers nowadays cannot go a length of a career without sustaining a serious arm, elbow or shoulder injury.

After writing the above... I researched a bit. It seems shoulder injuries are down, but elbow injuries are on the rise. And overall, injury rates are rising.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/298909145_Injury_Trends_in_Major_League_Baseball_Over_18_Seasons_1998-2015
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Poncier said:
    I would agree.

Wins — 170 (1st)

Shutouts — 18 (1st)

K/BB Ratio — 4.57 (1st)

ERA — 2.97 (2nd)

ERA+ — 148 (2nd)

Innings — 2194.2 (2nd)

Agreed.

No way.

Up it to 250 at least.

The numbers you present make sense; however, there is one variable that seems to differ from the past- arm injuries. It just seems that pitchers nowadays cannot go a length of a career without sustaining a serious arm, elbow or shoulder injury.

After writing the above... I researched a bit. It seems shoulder injuries are down, but elbow injuries are on the rise. And overall, injury rates are rising.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/298909145_Injury_Trends_in_Major_League_Baseball_Over_18_Seasons_1998-2015
    That's because this current group of players play and exercise all year long now. There is never any down time, an off season, for their bodies to repair and reset.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • JK_Livin said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Poncier said:
    I would agree.

Wins — 170 (1st)

Shutouts — 18 (1st)

K/BB Ratio — 4.57 (1st)

ERA — 2.97 (2nd)

ERA+ — 148 (2nd)

Innings — 2194.2 (2nd)

Agreed.

No way.

Up it to 250 at least.

That's because this current group of players play and exercise all year long now. There is never any down time, an off season, for their bodies to repair and reset.
    Agreed.

Further, from a very early age (when they are developing physically still)... many athletes log countless throws as they 'specialize' when they should be cross training and playing multiple sports.
  • JK_Livin said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Poncier said:
    I would agree.

Wins — 170 (1st)

Shutouts — 18 (1st)

K/BB Ratio — 4.57 (1st)

ERA — 2.97 (2nd)

ERA+ — 148 (2nd)

Innings — 2194.2 (2nd)

Agreed.

No way.

Up it to 250 at least.

Agreed.

Further, from a very early age (when they are developing physically still)... many athletes log countless throws as they 'specialize' when they should be cross training and playing multiple sports.
    Another reason why most good hitting pitchers become good hitting fielders.

Many a player used to pitch before their final position.  Judge used to pitch for example.