Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,968
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    5 game series are garbage when there is little reward for being a 100-game winner in your league. And it still wouldn't extend the playoffs beyond a month. 

I'd rather add two games to the LDS than add two games to the wildcard series.
    You’re kidding yourself if you don’t think they’d schedule an extra week of rest into the playoffs when they add 2 games. 

There won’t be any more 100 game winners advance just by adding 2 games. Some great teams just aren’t built for the playoffs.
    Sounds like a bunch of basketball teams.
    Exactly, and everybody says the real NBA season doesn’t start until the conference finals.
    I completely agree with this.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,421
    I'm a no for the Wild Card best of 3.  

Win the Division. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    cutz said:

Win the Division. 
    I'm not following the logic here. What does winning the division have to do with whether the WC is 1 or 3 games, or vice versa?
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I think the Wild Card is great as is. One game to actually earn a spot in the playoffs. 3 games would make the division series completely unwinnable. 
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    I think the Wild Card is great as is. One game to actually earn a spot in the playoffs. 3 games would make the division series completely unwinnable. 
    It's not to earn a spot in the playoffs.  The WC is the playoffs.  Jesus Christ!
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    SWEET JESUS!!!!!!
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    ESPN reporting that Mike Trout and the Angels are nearing a 12 year, $430M extension. Report stated it would be the largest professional sports contract. Trout is 27, so this deal could keep him with the Angels for the entirety of his career. 
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,840
    Well so much for him playing for the Phil’s. Hopefully the angels start winning.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    It's not to earn a spot in the playoffs.  The WC is the playoffs.  Jesus Christ!

Still doesn’t change my point. That’s the most exciting day or 2 in baseball besides opening day and if there’re a game 7. 
  • Options
    Dare I say it's a reasonable contract?
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,219
    Comparatively speaking to other recent deals and what Trout is capable of, its not terribly unreasonable.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Should’ve happened 3 or 4 years ago. Aside from
    giving him that absurd money after he’s 35 it makes perfect sense.
  • Options
    Well so much for him playing for the Phil’s. Hopefully the angels start winning.
    The halos have a hell of a farm team with a few coming up in the next few years.  Watch for them.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    I think so. Hell, after Harper signed his contract, I thought they'd have to give Trout a small country or something. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    I think so. Hell, after Harper signed his contract, I thought they'd have to give Trout a small country or something. 
    35Mil a year.

If he breaks down like Pujols I won't be happy though...
  • Options
    Good for him!  In the grand scheme of things I think anyone making that kind of money is a tad ridiculous (regardless of career) but I'd rather see the players get it in sports than the owners hog it all.  These are the guys that are putting asses in seats and making you filthy rich in the first place. Pay them!
  • Options
    Good for him!  In the grand scheme of things I think anyone making that kind of money is a tad ridiculous (regardless of career) but I'd rather see the players get it in sports than the owners hog it all.  These are the guys that are putting asses in seats and making you filthy rich in the first place. Pay them!
    We are agreeing a lot recently 
  • Options
    cutz said:

Win the Division. 
    I'm not following the logic here. What does winning the division have to do with whether the WC is 1 or 3 games, or vice versa?
    If you can't win the Division then you deserve to be in a one game playoff. Win the Division to avoid the one game playoff.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

Win the Division. 
    If you can't win the Division then you deserve to be in a one game playoff. Win the Division to avoid the one game playoff.
    What does that have to do with whether it's 1 or 3 games though? It's still a Wild Card to determine who plays against the best team in the league.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • Options
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

Win the Division. 
    What does that have to do with whether it's 1 or 3 games though? It's still a Wild Card to determine who plays against the best team in the league.
    I'm sorry man, but i guess i can't explain it well enough on a message board. ( I tried though.)
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Not taking his rookie year into account, Trout would have made an average $67K for each at bat prior to this year with this salary.  $67K may be a bargain as old age and injuries eventually set in.
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    Not taking his rookie year into account, Trout would have made an average $67K for each at bat prior to this year with this salary.  $67K may be a bargain as old age and injuries eventually set in.
    Per at bat?

Those statisticians come up w some crazy shit.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,448
    Except the Wild Card IS the playoffs. Otherwise it would count in the regular season standings.
    Blah. Gimmick.
    Except it's not.
    It is, but teams know it's their only shot into the playoffs so they throw everything but the kitchen sink to advance and throws off their rhythm for the the next round of playoffs when they get in.

I think the Royals are the only team with the current format to advance to the WS.
    SF Giants.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Except the Wild Card IS the playoffs. Otherwise it would count in the regular season standings.
    Blah. Gimmick.
    Except it's not.
    It is, but teams know it's their only shot into the playoffs so they throw everything but the kitchen sink to advance and throws off their rhythm for the the next round of playoffs when they get in.

I think the Royals are the only team with the current format to advance to the WS.
    SF Giants.
    Yep both WC in the WS! 
  • Options
    All the contracts!!

Do judge now!
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    Glad that they extended Bregman. Hope they can keep Springer & Correa.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Make it rain!! 

(Figuratively, with money.  Not literally with precipitation. That delays the pace of play and we wouldn't want that, would we?)
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Blah. Gimmick.
    Except it's not.

SF Giants.
    Current is 2012 and onward.  When they won it was a different set up.
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    Glad that they extended Bregman. Hope they can keep Springer & Correa.
    Bregman is my favorite player besides Judge.  I love the way he plays and his cockiness.

When the halos bring up Maitan or Adell it will be one of those two.
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Blah. Gimmick.
    Except it's not.

SF Giants.
    Current is 2012 and onward.  When they won it was a different set up.
    It was 2014.  Both KC & SF were Wild Cards.