MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Wobbie said:

New favorite t-shirt arrived in the mail today. The greatest baseball fights! :lol:
    are will clark and ozzie smith in there?

what did fat tommy lasorda ever fight, other than his weight?
    https://youtu.be/vX4L2LHGs98
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    Wobbie said:

New favorite t-shirt arrived in the mail today. The greatest baseball fights! :lol:

cocksucker.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    That Nolan Ryan vs R. Ventura image is hilarious.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    That Nolan Ryan vs R. Ventura image is hilarious.
    That one and Papelbon (choking Harper) are my favorite.  The looks on their faces crack me up!
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Wobbie said:

Lasorda used to also come out when the Phanatic would crush the opposing team's helmet. Funny stuff.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Look at that glorious late 80's Vet astroturf and yellow and brown seats. Man, I miss that place sometimes...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    Tom Seaver diagnosed with dementia
    I miss igotid88
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    igotid88 said:
    Tom Seaver diagnosed with dementia
    Just saw a thing w Bud Harelson too...

They are of the age now.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    I like this:

Report: MLB, union agree to end August trades

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1734985

5h ago
    Alex Trautwig / Major League Baseball / Getty
    LOS ANGELES CA - MARCH 22 Major League Baseball Commissioner Robert D Manfred Jr and Major League Baseball Players Association Executive Director Tony Clark speak during a press conference before Game 3 of the Championship Round of the 2017 World Baseball Classic between Team USA and Team Puerto Rico on Wednesday March 22 2017 at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles California

Baseball's trade season is about to get a major facelift.

Major League Baseball and the MLB Players Association have agreed to eliminate the August waiver trade period in favor of a single non-waiver trade deadline day for all transactions on July 31, sources told Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic. The deadline-day change, one of several rule changes expected to be ratified by both the league and union after extensive negotiations this spring, will take effect this season.

It was the players' association that proposed unifying the separate deadline days, in part to "protect the competitive integrity of the" season, according to Rosenthal.

Under MLB's current trade rules, any players involved in a trade during the month of August must first clear revocable trade waivers, a lengthy process that is regulated by a convoluted set of rules. Many notable players have been dealt after passing through August waivers, including Justin Verlander in 2017.

Right now, trades can still be made after Aug. 31, though players dealt in September are ineligible to appear in the postseason and such trades are usually minor.

By consolidating the deadlines, teams would no longer be able to make additional tweaks ahead of the September pennant race. The single deadline would effectively force teams to decide whether to buy or sell earlier, ideally spurring even more action on what is already a frantic July 31 deadline day.

Reaction to the pending changes was mixed. One general manager hailed the move, telling Rosenthal the August waiver process is "old, outdated, and weird." A different executive was not pleased, saying these changes would be a "huge mistake" and added that it might force contenders hit by injuries in August to rush prospects to the majors who might otherwise not be ready.

In addition to changing the trade deadline, MLB and the MLBPA also apparently agreed to several other monumental changes, including the expansion of roster sizes to 26 players starting in 2020 and the shortening of between-inning breaks, according to Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports. An official announcement is expected on Thursday, Brown added.

It's about time.  The current trade rules are a complete clusterfuck.  No need to complicate something that shouldn't be complicated.
    So, what do we think about some of these rule changes?

Single trade deadline, ASG revisions among changes made by MLB, MLBPA
    5h ago
    LG Patterson / Major League Baseball / Getty
    LOS ANGELES CA - OCTOBER 25 Major League Baseball Commissioner Robert D Manfred Jr talks with Executive Director of the Major League Baseball Players Association Tony Clark during batting practice prior to Game 2 of the 2017 World Series between the Houston Astros and the Los Angeles Dodgers at Dodger Stadium on Wednesday October 25 2017 in Los Angeles California

Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association announcedseveral changes for the 2019 and 2020 seasons on Thursday.

Several changes will go into effect in 2019, including the elimination of the August waiver trade period; an All-Star Game "Election Day", in which fans will vote for the top three vote-getters at each position in each league to determine the starters for the Midsummer Classic; prize money being awarded to the winner of the Home Run Derby; the reduction of time during inning breaks; and the reduction of mound visits for each team in every individual game.

Breakdown of 2019 changes

• Innings breaks: Inning breaks will be reduced from two minutes and five seconds to two minutes in local games, and from two minutes and 25 seconds to two minutes in national games. This is subject to discussions with broadcast partners.
    • Mound visits: The maximum number of mound visits will be reduced from six to five per team, per game.
    • All-Star Game: Fan voting will be conducted in two rounds. Round one mirrors the old voting system, which will be followed by an "Election Day" in late June or early July, where the top three vote-getters at each position in each league will be voted on by fans to determine the All-Star Game starters. During the All-Star Game, the 10th inning or any other subsequent innings will begin with a runner on second base.
    • Home Run Derby: Total prize money for the competition will be increased to $2.5 million, with the event's winner receiving $1 million.
    • Trade Deadline: The August waiver trade deadline will be eliminated in favor of one trade deadline on July 31. Players can still be placed and claimed on outright waivers after July 31, but trades will not be permitted.

In 2020, team roster sizes from Opening Day through Aug. 31 will increase from 25 to 26, the 40-man active roster limit in September will be eliminated, a three-batter minimum for pitchers will go into place, and the minimum time a player spends on the injured list will be increased.

Breakdown of 2020 changes

• Roster sizes: Team's roster sizes from Opening Day through Aug. 31 will increase from 25 to 26, with the minimum number of active players rising from 24 to 25, while roster sizes for doubleheaders will rise from 26 to 27. The 40-man active roster for September will be eliminated. Clubs may carry 28 players on their active roster from Sept. 1 through the end of the regular season. Of further note, the number of pitchers teams can carry on their active rosters will be capped at a certain number, with the limit being decided by a joint committee in the future. Clubs are required to designate each of their players as a pitcher or position player prior to each team's first regular-season game, and this designation can't be changed. Position players won't be allowed to pitch in games unless they're designated as a "two-way player," the game is in extra innings, or their team is losing or winning a game by more than six runs when they enter as a pitcher.
    • Injured list: The minimum time a player can spend on the injured list will increase from 10 days to 15. The minimum assignment period of pitchers who are optioned to the minors will increase from 10 days to 15.
    • Three-batter minimum for pitchers: All pitchers must pitch to a minimum of three batters or to the end of a half-inning, with exceptions being made for injury or illness.

Additionally, as part of the agreement, MLB and the players' association will discuss a renegotiation and extension of the league's collective bargaining agreement - which is set to expire in 2021 - and form a joint committee to further study other potential rule changes.

Commissioner Rob Manfred has also agreed not to implement a pitch clock during the remainder of the collective bargaining agreement.

The HR derby prize is a joke.  MLB makes a fortune off of that couple of days and all you offer the winner is a Million?!?
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    3 batter minimum is dumb. 
    The HR derby prize is a joke.  MLB makes a fortune off of that couple of days and all you offer the winner is a Million?!?
    DewieCox said:
    I agree with both of you.

I do like the Trade deadline & Roster size change.
    DewieCox said:

I actually like it. strategy, yo.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    DewieCox said:

I actually like it. strategy, yo.
    Sometimes a reliever just doesn’t have it. I’m fine if they want to put a penalty on it. Make it cost a mound visit per batter under the limited something. Might make for some exciting moments but I’d rather the offense earn at least something as opposed to the pitcher choking the bases loaded with no outs.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I read there were 2 times last year that the Yankees had a reliever either not pitch to 3 batters or not finish an inning. Sounds like a dumb rule but much ado about nothing 
    I read there were 2 times last year that the Yankees had a reliever either not pitch to 3 batters or not finish an inning. Sounds like a dumb rule but much ado about nothing 

certain managers are the worst offenders.....lefty lefty, righty righty, ad nauseum.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:

certain managers are the worst offenders.....lefty lefty, righty righty, ad nauseum.
    Philly...
    cutz said:
    DewieCox said:

I hate the roster size change. Fine with 26, hate getting rid of September. I love the fact that kids get to see the big leagues in september. for the vast majority, it’s the only big league time they’ll see and the majority of teams are out of it 
    We do not need this type of logic good sir!!
    cutz said:
    DewieCox said:

I hate the roster size change. Fine with 26, hate getting rid of September. I love the fact that kids get to see the big leagues in september. for the vast majority, it’s the only big league time they’ll see and the majority of teams are out of it 

angels fucked my giants when they brought up k-rod in 2002. oh, well. it only took me 10 years to get over it,

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    September roster cap is too low. I don’t follow the minors other than what they cover during MLB games and there are always a few guys that come
    out of nowhere to make a difference for competing teams. Even if it’s super situational dudes that can fly or a pitcher that guys aren’t used to, gonna suck that those guys don’t get the buzz. 
    cutz said:
    DewieCox said:

Yes.  Seeing young talent at the end of the year is always great, why change that?
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    I like reducing the time between innings by 20 seconds. 6 minutes a game might not seem like a lot, but combined with other ways of speeding the game up, I think it’s a big deal. 

Back in the 80’s games took 2:30 - 2:45 minutes to play. The flow seemed so much better.  No reason we should be over 3 hours today. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    Everyone was lit up on blow, then.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,789

My Cubs prediction?

Yu Darvish doesn't pitch 85 innings this year.

Yu will go down as one of the top 5 most ding-a-ling Cubs moves, in the last 20 years.

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    I like reducing the time between innings by 20 seconds. 6 minutes a game might not seem like a lot, but combined with other ways of speeding the game up, I think it’s a big deal. 

Back in the 80’s games took 2:30 - 2:45 minutes to play. The flow seemed so much better.  No reason we should be over 3 hours today. 
    Gotta have the advertising dollars to pay those big contracts!
    edited March 2019
    Plus, starters pitched 6 innings minimum, and closers went the rest of the way.  One pitching change unlike today's 4-6 per game.