MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Poncier said:
    I don't think I'd put Palmeiro in.
    First 3 full seasons had HR totals of 8, 8 & 14. That guy was below average before juicing. Plus that finger pointing denial in congress is an indelible image.
    Bonds & Clemens were dominant players prior to what we perceive is the start of their juicing. They should be in. Most every player in that era juiced. Some like Griffey just never got caught and the media didn't try and pin it on him cause he was likeable. But when you look at his bell curve of a career stats wise and the way his body broke down, he looks just as guilty as a bash brother.

That's quite an accusation.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Poncier said:
    I don't think I'd put Palmeiro in.
    First 3 full seasons had HR totals of 8, 8 & 14. That guy was below average before juicing. Plus that finger pointing denial in congress is an indelible image.
    Bonds & Clemens were dominant players prior to what we perceive is the start of their juicing. They should be in. Most every player in that era juiced. Some like Griffey just never got caught and the media didn't try and pin it on him cause he was likeable. But when you look at his bell curve of a career stats wise and the way his body broke down, he looks just as guilty as a bash brother.
    I'll say this about Griffey because I followed him through out his career.

He was a "stretcher" not really a weights type of guy.

I remember him saying that Alex could lift more than him when they were on the same team.  Also a few of his industries were for broken bones and running in to walls.

Palmiero played good for a bunch of years and was hitting for average when he first came up so I put him in.

I always wondered if Boggs or Sandberg juiced?  Look at their power numbers on the curve.  It's something I've always wondered about.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Griff not a juicer
    Bonds would have been HoF w/o roids.  They should put him in.
    Rose should be in.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Griff not a juicer

and you KNOW that, because....?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    edited November 2018
    Wobbie said:
    Griff not a juicer

Cause he always smiled.

That's pretty much the difference between him and Barroid.

This weekend we rock Portland
    1000 watt smile

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Any thoughts on Boggs or Sandberg?
    no and no.

kent > sandberg.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Wobbie said:
    no and no.

kent > sandberg.
    Wow you've got some cohones on u!
    the bonds v. kent dugout dust up? 1000% kent’s fault. redass, but > ryno.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Wobbie said:
    Redass...or cakaling douche 
    what is “cakaling”?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited November 2018

An even more annoying version of cackling 
  • Wobbie said:
    I actually became a Kent fan after that incident.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I wonder if Marlins Man is gonna continue to wear orange. 

for sure....he’s an attention whore.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Wobbie said:

You should read up on him once instead of just hating things for no reason.
    Wobbie said:

Pot meet kettle.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Wobbie said:
    Griff not a juicer

Nobody can KNOW anything for sure...but he did not get significantly larger.  (When Griff got larger it was because he got fat)
    He did not heal quickly...in fact, he healed slowly.
    His hat size did not go up a few sizes like Barroid.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Wobbie said:
    Griff not a juicer

Nobody can KNOW anything for sure...but he did not get significantly larger.  (When Griff got larger it was because he got fat)
    He did not heal quickly...in fact, he healed slowly.
    His hat size did not go up a few sizes like Barroid.
    You do realize that everyones head gets bigger with age right?
    Beltre retired. Hell of a career.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Yup. Was a blast watching him play even if he played for my least favorite team.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mfc2006 said:
    Yup. Was a blast watching him play even if he played for my least favorite team.
    He was good but don't think he is Hall worthy.  Good numbers and a few gold gloves.
  • Rivera, Halladay, Helton and Pettite are up for HOF considerations.

I'm going to say only Mo makes it in.

He is the ONLY one that should make it in.
    I would agree.

Pettite skates by on PED's but he used and blamed his father, no way he should get any consideration until the likes of Clemens, Bonds and several others are in. Still can't comprehend why he is given such a pass. Saint Andy my ass.
    Halladay may get sympathy votes due to his untimely death, but he really doesn't have the numbers. And Helton will not get in due to the Coors Field factor.

Rivera is a stone cold lock though. Should get at least 95% of the votes, as we know some d-bags won't vote for him so its not unanimous.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Poncier said:
    I would agree.

Pettite skates by on PED's but he used and blamed his father, no way he should get any consideration until the likes of Clemens, Bonds and several others are in. Still can't comprehend why he is given such a pass. Saint Andy my ass.
    Halladay may get sympathy votes due to his untimely death, but he really doesn't have the numbers. And Helton will not get in due to the Coors Field factor.

Rivera is a stone cold lock though. Should get at least 95% of the votes, as we know some d-bags won't vote for him so its not unanimous.
    here is an article in Philly today about Halladay.  His numbers were superior than almost everyone for a decade. he is definitely Hall worthy.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/phillies/roy-halladay-deserves-be-1st-ballot-hall-famer

Roy Halladay deserves to be a 1st-ballot Hall of Famer

Fans in Philadelphia didn’t get to enjoy Roy Halladay for very long. He had two stellar seasons, followed by two injury-plagued years that ended his playing career.

Halladay died in an aircraft accident one year ago. On Monday, Halladay was named among 35 players on the ballot for the 2019 Baseball Hall of Fame (see story).

Customarily, players have to wait five years for Hall of Fame eligibility. If a player dies, they're eligible six months after their death. There has been one exception to this rule in the last 65 years: Roberto Clemente was inducted in 1973, after dying in a plane crash on Dec. 31, 1972.

There are a handful of worthy names on this year’s ballot. And while Roy Halladay was forced into early retirement at 36, he is a pitcher with virtually no equals during his 15-plus major league seasons.

Halladay's death last year hit the Philadelphia sports community hard. His starts with the Phillies were appointment viewing, the likes of which the city hadn’t seen since Curt Schilling dominated teams in the 1990s.

And although fans in Philadelphia only saw two seasons of Halladay's excellence on the mound, his prime lasted a decade — the 2002 through the 2011 seasons.

Here are Halladay's ranks among all MLB pitchers during that span:

Wins — 170 (1st)

Win percentage — .694 (1st)

Complete Games — 63 (1st - by 30!)

Shutouts — 18 (1st)

K/BB Ratio — 4.57 (1st)

ERA — 2.97 (2nd)

ERA+ — 148 (2nd)

Innings — 2194.2 (2nd)

He also made eight All-Star teams, won two Cy Young Awards and finished in the top 5 in Cy Young voting seven times in that 10-year span.

From the years 1995 through 2017, Halladay has more complete games than any pitcher (67). Here's the thing: Halladay only pitched from 1998 through 2013.

Being the best pitcher in baseball for a season is a feat. Being the best pitcher in baseball for an entire decade is something that is truly special. Remember how great Tim Lincecum was at the start of his career? He also won two Cy Youngs. Lincecum didn't even make it to 10 full seasons in the big leagues before a degenerative hip injury derailed his career.

The end of Roy Halladay's baseball career, and his life, occurred far too soon. Voting him into the Baseball Hall of Fame next year would not be.

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    mfc2006 said:
    He was good but don't think he is Hall worthy.  Good numbers and a few gold gloves.
    3k hits, he’s a lock. 
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Halladay and Rivera.  

• pjhawks said:
    Poncier said:
    I would agree.

here is an article in Philly today about Halladay.  His numbers were superior than almost everyone for a decade. he is definitely Hall worthy.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/phillies/roy-halladay-deserves-be-1st-ballot-hall-famer

Roy Halladay deserves to be a 1st-ballot Hall of Famer

Fans in Philadelphia didn’t get to enjoy Roy Halladay for very long. He had two stellar seasons, followed by two injury-plagued years that ended his playing career.

Halladay died in an aircraft accident one year ago. On Monday, Halladay was named among 35 players on the ballot for the 2019 Baseball Hall of Fame (see story).

Customarily, players have to wait five years for Hall of Fame eligibility. If a player dies, they're eligible six months after their death. There has been one exception to this rule in the last 65 years: Roberto Clemente was inducted in 1973, after dying in a plane crash on Dec. 31, 1972.

There are a handful of worthy names on this year’s ballot. And while Roy Halladay was forced into early retirement at 36, he is a pitcher with virtually no equals during his 15-plus major league seasons.

Halladay's death last year hit the Philadelphia sports community hard. His starts with the Phillies were appointment viewing, the likes of which the city hadn’t seen since Curt Schilling dominated teams in the 1990s.

And although fans in Philadelphia only saw two seasons of Halladay's excellence on the mound, his prime lasted a decade — the 2002 through the 2011 seasons.

Here are Halladay's ranks among all MLB pitchers during that span:

Wins — 170 (1st)

Win percentage — .694 (1st)

Complete Games — 63 (1st - by 30!)

Shutouts — 18 (1st)

K/BB Ratio — 4.57 (1st)

ERA — 2.97 (2nd)

ERA+ — 148 (2nd)

Innings — 2194.2 (2nd)

He also made eight All-Star teams, won two Cy Young Awards and finished in the top 5 in Cy Young voting seven times in that 10-year span.

From the years 1995 through 2017, Halladay has more complete games than any pitcher (67). Here's the thing: Halladay only pitched from 1998 through 2013.

Being the best pitcher in baseball for a season is a feat. Being the best pitcher in baseball for an entire decade is something that is truly special. Remember how great Tim Lincecum was at the start of his career? He also won two Cy Youngs. Lincecum didn't even make it to 10 full seasons in the big leagues before a degenerative hip injury derailed his career.

The end of Roy Halladay's baseball career, and his life, occurred far too soon. Voting him into the Baseball Hall of Fame next year would not be.

Being great for 10 years shouldn't get you in the hall, sorry...
    Wobbie said:

You should read up on him once instead of just hating things for no reason.
    I know he does some good things, but he's still an attention whore.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16