Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options

Rangers got voter approval to build a new stadium with a retractable roof. So we will be losing our beautiful ballpark in a few years. The owners and GM say that air conditioning will help attract better players. :lol: I can't believe these people say this stuff with a straight face. What it will bring is higher ticket prices and even less parking. The area is already a clusterfuck being right next to Jerryworld.

Want more attendance? TRY WINNING SOME GAMES.

Do you mean win games in the playoffs or just in general? Because I could've sworn that Texas led the AL in wins this year.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,743

Rangers got voter approval to build a new stadium with a retractable roof. So we will be losing our beautiful ballpark in a few years. The owners and GM say that air conditioning will help attract better players. :lol: I can't believe these people say this stuff with a straight face. What it will bring is higher ticket prices and even less parking. The area is already a clusterfuck being right next to Jerryworld.

Crazy that they're getting a new stadium when their current stadium opened in 1994. Same with the Braves.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,463

Crazy that they're getting a new stadium when their current stadium opened in 1994. Same with the Braves.
    both stadiums are completely serviceable. I'd say any stadium ought to have, at minimum, a 40 year life.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    edit: except marlins park. they should blow that fucker up, right now.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,377
    every stadium should have a retractable roof
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305

Do you mean win games in the playoffs or just in general? Because I could've sworn that Texas led the AL in wins this year.
    OK, I was being bitchy. :lol: Rangers did have a good season until the playoffs, then they didn't waste much time collapsing. I meant more that the stadium actually sells out when something brings people out, like when they play the Red Sox or when Darvish returned after being out for Tommy John surgery.

When they first proposed this new stadium, I read an interview with the architect who designed the current stadium. He said they built it to last 100 years.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Mattingly is a candidate for MOY, he just didn't finish in the top 3. The voting was already done. They only name the top 3 vote-getters as "finalists" for the awards.
  • Options

Mattingly is a candidate for MOY, he just didn't finish in the top 3. The voting was already done. They only name the top 3 vote-getters as "finalists" for the awards.

Obviously they're all candidates. I made a mistake. I meant finalist. Either way all 3 finalists were already on playoff ready teams. I would give it to Baker I guess
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,105
    I'm giving up my Braves fan card (not really). I understand wanting some veteran pitchers as a stopgap to the arms on the farm, but signing both RA Dickey and Bartolo Colon? Ugh. To steal a line from ESPN's Crasnick, the Braves aren't going to have to worry about ERA as much as they will about AARP.
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    two reasons in that picture for me not to watch :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
  • Options

Wobbie said:

igotid88 said:
    two reasons in that picture for me not to watch :lol:
    Kelly's legs?
    uh.....no :nuh_uh:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    I love seeing Rizzo get the platinum award for the NL. Dude has been one of the best defensive first baseman in the league for years. It's great that he's finally getting recognized as such.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    I'd really like to know the thought process of Sanchez not getting voted ROY. I don't buy the "he didn't play enough games" argument. Fulmer 26 games, Sanchez 53. Not saying Fulmer isn't deserving, just think Sanchez is more so.
  • Options
    Predictions for MOY?

I think it will be Francona in the AL, but could be a toss up between him and Showalter. Roberts probably has the NL and rightfully so. I could be a homer and say Maddon, but the Cubs were preseason favorites to win it all. MOY, to me, should go to the manager whose team exceeded expecations.
  • Options

Predictions for MOY?

I think it will be Francona in the AL, but could be a toss up between him and Showalter. Roberts probably has the NL and rightfully so. I could be a homer and say Maddon, but the Cubs were preseason favorites to win it all. MOY, to me, should go to the manager whose team exceeded expecations.

Looks like Dave roberts will win. According to Bob Nightengales twitter feed, the results were leaked. Complete bull shit if that is true. Maddon should be the hands down winner.
  • Options

Predictions for MOY?

By that case Mattingly should have won. Dodgers were already favorites.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

Predictions for MOY?

They lost their ace starters (one to FA, the other to injury) and battled back from an 8 game deficit late in the season to win the division. With a first year manager. The Marlins barely improved upon 2015, still had a losing record, finished over 15 games back, weren't even close to a wild card spot, and their offense was horrible. Where exactly did Mattingly excel?
  • Options

igotid88 said:

Predictions for MOY?

They lost their ace starters (one to FA, the other to injury) and battled back from an 8 game deficit late in the season to win the division. With a first year manager. The Marlins barely improved upon 2015, still had a losing record, finished over 15 games back, weren't even close to a wild card spot, and their offense was horrible. Where exactly did Mattingly excel?
    The Dodgers bullpen was the top 3 in the majors. Their offense was better. Their decisions are made by the front office. (Which is why Mattingly parted ways with them) They are in a bad division. The Giants fell apart. The Marlins were in playoff contention for most of the season. With their best hitter under performing or injured. They made a couple of bad trades at the deadline. Which hurt. They were not expected to be in the conversation. The Dodgers were at least going to be playoff contenders. And had more depth.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Sorry, but a team with a losing record does not garner a MOY award. The Giants falling apart had nothing to do with Dave Roberts. He still has to manage his team to win, despite their shortcomings, during the same time as SF's decline. Mattingly only did marginally better than the dysfunction of Redmond & Jennings last year.
  • Options

Sorry, but a team with a losing record does not garner a MOY award. The Giants falling apart had nothing to do with Dave Roberts. He still has to manage his team to win, despite their shortcomings, during the same time as SF's decline. Mattingly only did marginally better than the dysfunction of Redmond & Jennings last year.

Girardi won with a losing record
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Rodney having an atrocious 2nd half cost them a winning record. Having to put their 2nd best bullpen guy Phelps to start in limited innings.
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Bochy and Matheny would get a nod before Mattingly - the Giants with the worst bullpen in baseball (30-some blown saves and still made the playoffs) and St. Louis with a bunch of injuries and in contention til the last weekend. I don't know how you could possibly think Mattingly should be mentioned in the same breath as those two, let alone the 3 finalists.
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

Girardi won with a losing record
    Willie Randolph was robbed.
  • Options

igotid88 said:

Predictions for MOY?

in ID's mind, mattingly excels because he is an ex-yankee :wink:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    I'm seeing on facebook that Maddon won MOY. That's the only correct answer here.
  • Options

Bochy and Matheny would get a nod before Mattingly - the Giants with the worst bullpen in baseball (30-some blown saves and still made the playoffs) and St. Louis with a bunch of injuries and in contention til the last weekend. I don't know how you could possibly think Mattingly should be mentioned in the same breath as those two, let alone the 3 finalists.

I would give you Bochy. But the Cardinals have a great system. That they were hacked. Any manager would be able to do the same. Mattingly had them in playoff contention for a lot of the season. No one thought they would be any good.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options

I'm seeing on facebook that Maddon won MOY. That's the only correct answer here.

Maddons players saved him from being the next in line of curses. He tried to give away game 7. He is top 3, but not numero uno this year.