10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    Yanks/Astros game rained out
    Unfortunately for Washington, they're going to be sitting around for over a week until they play again. They'll be at a huge disadvantage when it comes to momentum. Sure they get plenty of rest, but I don't think it's an advantage at this stage. I don't know how the league can correct an issue like that when a team is red hot like they've been, but it hurts them in the playoffs when they have to sit around waiting for the next game.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,467
    tbergs said:
    Unfortunately for Washington, they're going to be sitting around for over a week until they play again. They'll be at a huge disadvantage when it comes to momentum. Sure they get plenty of rest, but I don't think it's an advantage at this stage. I don't know how the league can correct an issue like that when a team is red hot like they've been, but it hurts them in the playoffs when they have to sit around waiting for the next game.

I agree, especially when you’re rolling like the nats.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    tbergs said:
    Of course there's the old Earl Weaver quote: "Momentum is the next day's starting pitcher".
    Nats with that rotation will be fine.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    cutz said:
    I think there is much to be said about the common sense of deal length vs. age....and then about the reality of teams willing to overpay to have the first 1/2 or so of that player's deal @ high performance level.
    We see it over and over...
    Not anymore, see my examples.

All the 30YO that still have something to give get 3y deals now.

Howie Kendrick since turning 30 hasn't signed more than a 4 year deal.

Kershaw?  31 yo pitcher didn't want to see FA and signed a 3 year deal.

30 yo's aren't bad players but overpaying in the long run can prove drastically bad.
    We will see with Rendon.  Could be that you are right.  I'm betting that he will get 7, at least.
    I can see 7 at a max.  With the loss of PED's the age of how good you are has drastically dropped off.
    Yeah, I agree with the logic you are presenting...totally.
    I only think there are still GMs out there willing to push it.  I know the landscape has changed quite a bit.  Interested to see what he gets, he is a hell of a ballplayer!
    Like me & my good friend like to say: It ONLY takes one idiot GM/Franchise to make a ridiculous offer. 

We shall see.
    Are the Mets in the running to sign him?
  • Options
    Yanks fans.

The team will have to throw everything at the Stros plus the kitchen sink for the next 3 games if they want to go to the WS.

This is what the "experts" are saying.

This isn't the brand of baseball that made them great all year so I don't see it working.  Starting pitching needs to get 7 and have a lead or they are toast.
  • Options
    I'd say starters need to go 6, not 7 with the NYY bullpen.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Poncier said:
    tbergs said:
    Of course there's the old Earl Weaver quote: "Momentum is the next day's starting pitcher".
    Nats with that rotation will be fine.
    Yes...The Nats weren’t exactly world beaters against the Cardinals, at least as much as a sweep would indicate. If their starters pitch like they have been and they capitalize on mistakes they can win. If Yanks or Astro’s play relatively error free baseball it will be a tall mountain to climb for DC.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    I'd say starters need to go 6, not 7 with the NYY bullpen.
    That will be 3 times in 4 days.  They've never done that this year.

I don't think there are enough pitchers to sustain that unless each pitcher goes a little further.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    They have what 13 pitchers on the ALCS roster, I think they have enough arms in the pen to cover 3 innings in the next few games.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,394
    Poncier said:
    They have what 13 pitchers on the ALCS roster, I think they have enough arms in the pen to cover 3 innings in the next few games.
    Yankees bullpen haven't pitched more than 2 days in a row all season. You gotta hope their starters give you at least 6. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Which is what I'm saying. 6 from the starter then turn it over to the pen.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Well they used 6 the other day so that leaves them with 7 left for the next two days and two of those will be starters so that leaves only 5 and if they make it that far there will be pitchers on short rest then the World Series starts Tuesday so I do applaud your optimism that they have enough pitching.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,394
    Poncier said:
    Which is what I'm saying. 6 from the starter then turn it over to the pen.
    Easier said than done. Especially in an age where teams don't want their starters to go through a lineup a 3rd time.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Well they used 6 the other day so that leaves them with 7 left for the next two days and two of those will be starters so that leaves only 5 and if they make it that far there will be pitchers on short rest then the World Series starts Tuesday so I do applaud your optimism that they have enough pitching.
    So guys who pitched on Tuesday can't pitch again either Thursday or Friday???

What is this Little League?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:

Yeah, that would seem silly.
    Especially when the manager used 3 pitchers in one inning.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:

If the Yankees go through 6 pitchers again in one night they will have pitchers pitching consecutive nights because someone won't be ready.

Plus they shoot themselves in the foot gearing up for the WS is they make it.

Fewer pitching changes are needed now.  That is what I am saying.  They need more out of their bullpen not ALL of their bullpen.

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,602
    What team has team has the best era in the playoffs so far?
  • Options
    Orioles?
  • Options
    Yanks fans.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Orioles?
    Ha touché 
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Yanks fans.

Love those guys 
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Yanks fans.

Love those guys 

makes me smile every time I see it.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Astros since the Yanks have only scored 3 runs off of them the last 2 games?

Think 1960 WS where the yanks drove in all those runs and still lost.

I've got the Astros to win this.
  • Options
    I just looked up the stats.  Yankees ERA is better with only having 1 quality start, that's 1.

Astros have 6 quality starts.

Yanks bullpen will be overused.

Astros close out Friday night.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    I won't be able to watch the game because we're going to a phone-free concert. UGH. Let's go, Astros!!!!!!!!!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,429
    mfc2006 said:
    I won't be able to watch the game because we're going to a phone-free concert. UGH. Let's go, Astros!!!!!!!!!!
    As a Astros Fan>LOL

https://youtu.be/OCw9_nEwq_k
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    The Raconteurs show will be a blast, though!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,880
    I just looked up the stats.  Yankees ERA is better with only having 1 quality start, that's 1.

Astros have 6 quality starts.

Yanks bullpen will be overused.

Astros close out Friday night.
    I hope so, really don't want a Nats/Yankees World Series
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA