MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• g under p said:
    Well I'm hoping for a Astros vs Nationals Workd Series, why because BOTH of their Spring Training are held here in West Palm Beach about a mile walk to the 12 fields from my house.

Now that the Nationals are in the World Series....here's a bit of trivia for you baseball nuts.

Name the ONLY team left in MLB that has NOT made it to the WS?

Peace
    I don't think the Rays have ever been?  The Mariners too?

Wait Dontrelle Willis was on the Rays and not the Marlins right?  If that is true then Mariners.

Googling now.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Rays lost to juggler’s phillies in ‘08 or ‘09.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Dontrelle was a Marlin so they were there.  That was the Josh Beckett team too, forgot about him!
  • Congrats to the Nats.

I'll enjoy watching Soto out there!
  • Players I want to see play...

Juan Soto
    AJ Puk, I'll have to wait for next year now...
    Victor Robles
    Gleyber Torres
    Gavin Lux
    Cody Bellinger
    Corey Seager
    Kershaw
    Scherzer
    Strausberg
    Fernando Rodney, yes I like him, lol.
    Andrew Miller and see if he still has some magic.
    Everyone's favorite Molina
    Altuve
    Albies
    Acuna Jr
    Bregman
    Freeman
    Swanson
    Buehler
    Meadows
    Glasnow
    Verlander
    And that kid Alvarez

Play em and I'll watch.  Gavin Lux is the one I'm curious the most about though.

So far on my list all the National guys are doing good.  Can't believe I left of Kieboom and Turner...  Don't think boom made the roster though?
    Astros guys are doing good too.

Gleber is doing great for the Yanks.

Buehler for the Dodgers was great.
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    mfc2006 said:
    g under p said:
    Well I'm hoping for a Astros vs Nationals Workd Series, why because BOTH of their Spring Training are held here in West Palm Beach about a mile walk to the 12 fields from my house.

Now that the Nationals are in the World Series....here's a bit of trivia for you baseball nuts.

Peace

We are going to Astros ST next year and can’t wait!

Well do tell which games you’ll attend, I’ll try and be there as well. I’m so close on Friday’s or Sunday’s I think it is, they do fireworks and I can see them from my patio yard. When I’m there I’ll be wearing my ‘04 RedSox World Series #24 Manny Ramirez jersey or some other Boston jersey. It’s a fun place right in my backyard.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    g under p said:
    mfc2006 said:
    g under p said:

Peace

Well do tell which games you’ll attend, I’ll try and be there as well. I’m so close on Friday’s or Sunday’s I think it is, they do fireworks and I can see them from my patio yard. When I’m there I’ll be wearing my ‘04 RedSox World Series #24 Manny Ramirez jersey or some other Boston jersey. It’s a fun place right in my backyard.

Peace
    We’re looking at Feb 23-29. I’ll be sure to let you know when it’s finalized!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    it's the Mariners who are the only team not to make a series.
  • g under p said:
    mfc2006 said:
    g under p said:

Peace

Peace
    Who wears a Jersey of a team that isn't playing that day?

This guy!!!

Don't be that guy...
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    g under p said:
    mfc2006 said:
    g under p said:

Peace

Peace

This guy!!!

Don't be that guy...
    Marlins Man
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Poncier said:
    g under p said:
    mfc2006 said:
    g under p said:

Peace

Peace

This guy!!!

Don't be that guy...
    Marlins Man
    Definitely don't be that guy either.

My favorite though is seeing a person wear a completely different sports team to an event and it doesn't even represent either city state or sometimes country!
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Poncier said:
    g under p said:
    mfc2006 said:
    g under p said:

Peace

Peace

This guy!!!

Don't be that guy...
    Marlins Man

My favorite though is seeing a person wear a completely different sports team to an event and it doesn't even represent either city state or sometimes country!
    This does not bother me. 
    (I don't generally care what other people wear.  I sometimes worry for the people who wear Rangers or Devils gear to Flyers games, but otherwise don't care.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Poncier said:
    g under p said:
    mfc2006 said:
    g under p said:

Peace

Peace

This guy!!!

Don't be that guy...
    Marlins Man

This does not bother me. 
    (I don't generally care what other people wear.  I sometimes worry for the people who wear Rangers or Devils gear to Flyers games, but otherwise don't care.)
    What bothers me also is an opposing fan being abused at a game...
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,145
    igotid88 said:
    pjhawks said:
    igotid88 said:
    So the Nats pulled it together.  Is this because Bryce Harper is gone?  Says a lot about him and the talent that the Phillies had and couldn't reach the playoffs.

igotid88 said:
    Dave Martinez was probably a few more losses earlier in the season from being fired. Now they're this close to a WS appearance
    The team had injuries early and the team really wasn't hitting.

Robles didn't hit all that great in the begining, Rendon turned it on later, Turner was hurt.

The whole team finally came around and started to play.  I would expect the team to do much better next year.

Turner, Robles, Soto and Kieboom should be fun to watch next year w Rendon.
    When has injuries and team not hitting save a manager's job. Rarely. Especially when he missed the playoffs with a playoff team.

You think they re-sign Rendon and Strasburg(When he opts out)?
    Why on earth would you let the pitcher you drafted, played all his life for your team and will get in the HOF go when he's pitching great?

Same goes for Rendon.

I'd sign them both for another 5 years.

$$$  Rendon is going to get upwards of $200 million.  Be interesting to see what Strasburg pulls in
    They aren't paying Harper and if they lock in Rendon for another 5 years they still have Soto and Turner on the cheap for a few more too so it shouldn't be that bad.

Strasburg might get more than Rendon, lol.
    Lol rendon is getting a whole lot more than 5 years 
    He'll be 31 come starting next season not 21.

He might get 7 but no way he gets offered 10. Those days are over for 30 YO's now.
    Both Strasburg and Rendon are over 30. 
    He will get 5 to 7 years too.  He's not 21.

Again, no one gets 10 year deals in their 30's... I haven't changed my position on age and contracts.

I never said they were getting 10 years
    I miss igotid88
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Poncier said:
    g under p said:
    mfc2006 said:
    g under p said:

Peace

Peace

This guy!!!

Don't be that guy...
    Marlins Man

This does not bother me. 
    Anything person/vulgar/physical, I absolutely agree.
    Should expect to hear some guff in certain environments.
  • igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    pjhawks said:
    igotid88 said:
    So the Nats pulled it together.  Is this because Bryce Harper is gone?  Says a lot about him and the talent that the Phillies had and couldn't reach the playoffs.

igotid88 said:
    Dave Martinez was probably a few more losses earlier in the season from being fired. Now they're this close to a WS appearance

Robles didn't hit all that great in the begining, Rendon turned it on later, Turner was hurt.

The whole team finally came around and started to play.  I would expect the team to do much better next year.

When has injuries and team not hitting save a manager's job. Rarely. Especially when he missed the playoffs with a playoff team.

Why on earth would you let the pitcher you drafted, played all his life for your team and will get in the HOF go when he's pitching great?

Same goes for Rendon.

$$$  Rendon is going to get upwards of $200 million.  Be interesting to see what Strasburg pulls in
    They aren't paying Harper and if they lock in Rendon for another 5 years they still have Soto and Turner on the cheap for a few more too so it shouldn't be that bad.

He might get 7 but no way he gets offered 10. Those days are over for 30 YO's now.

Again, no one gets 10 year deals in their 30's... I haven't changed my position on age and contracts.

I never said they were getting 10 years
    So what the hell are you commenting for?

I said 5-7.  7 isn't "a whole lot more than 5".

Trying to figure out what you're getting at...
  • Poncier said:
    g under p said:
    mfc2006 said:
    g under p said:

Peace

Peace

This guy!!!

Don't be that guy...
    Marlins Man

This does not bother me. 
    Anything person/vulgar/physical, I absolutely agree.
    Should expect to hear some guff in certain environments.
    When I was a kid I wore my California Angels hat to a Yankees game and thought nothing of it.  No one game me any grief for it either.  I'm sure a CA hat today in the ballpark would be fine I mean it's not Boston right, LOL?!?
  • igotid88 said:
    pjhawks said:
    igotid88 said:

igotid88 said:

Same goes for Rendon.

Sorry @igotid88 It was Cliffy that made the dumb remark, not you.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    igotid88 said:
    pjhawks said:
    igotid88 said:

igotid88 said:

Same goes for Rendon.

You know what’s really really dumb? Thinking rendon is gonna take a 5 year deal
  • igotid88 said:
    pjhawks said:
    igotid88 said:

igotid88 said:

Same goes for Rendon.

You know what’s really really dumb? Thinking rendon is gonna take a 5 year deal
    What's even dumber is when I said 5-7 to clarify and then clarified that 7 is closer to 5 and no one offers long term deals like that to a 31 yo anymore...

Pujols ruined it for everyone then the Cano deal was even worse than that, which is exactly why the Mets did the trade w Seattle because they are FANTASTIC at the art of negotiations, think Bonilla every July 1st.

30+ yo's don't get great deals anymore.
    I think there is much to be said about the common sense of deal length vs. age....and then about the reality of teams willing to overpay to have the first 1/2 or so of that player's deal @ high performance level.
    We see it over and over...
  • I think there is much to be said about the common sense of deal length vs. age....and then about the reality of teams willing to overpay to have the first 1/2 or so of that player's deal @ high performance level.
    Not anymore, see my examples.

All the 30YO that still have something to give get 3y deals now.

Howie Kendrick since turning 30 hasn't signed more than a 4 year deal.

Kershaw?  31 yo pitcher didn't want to see FA and signed a 3 year deal.

30 yo's aren't bad players but overpaying in the long run can prove drastically bad.
    Apparently they changed the baseball for the postseason. Nothing confirmed though
    I miss igotid88
    I think there is much to be said about the common sense of deal length vs. age....and then about the reality of teams willing to overpay to have the first 1/2 or so of that player's deal @ high performance level.

30 yo's aren't bad players but overpaying in the long run can prove drastically bad.
    We will see with Rendon.  Could be that you are right.  I'm betting that he will get 7, at least.
  • I think there is much to be said about the common sense of deal length vs. age....and then about the reality of teams willing to overpay to have the first 1/2 or so of that player's deal @ high performance level.

We will see with Rendon.  Could be that you are right.  I'm betting that he will get 7, at least.
    I can see 7 at a max.  With the loss of PED's the age of how good you are has drastically dropped off.

I can see 7 at a max.  With the loss of PED's the age of how good you are has drastically dropped off.
    Yeah, I agree with the logic you are presenting...totally.
    I only think there are still GMs out there willing to push it.  I know the landscape has changed quite a bit.  Interested to see what he gets, he is a hell of a ballplayer!
  • igotid88 said:
    Apparently they changed the baseball for the postseason. Nothing confirmed though
    I'd buy this because at Yankee stadium a simple pop up to right field was a HR all year long.  Not so much in the ALCS so far.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400

Yeah, I agree with the logic you are presenting...totally.
    I only think there are still GMs out there willing to push it.  I know the landscape has changed quite a bit.  Interested to see what he gets, he is a hell of a ballplayer!
    Like me & my good friend like to say: It ONLY takes one idiot GM/Franchise to make a ridiculous offer. 

We shall see.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    igotid88 said:
    I'd buy this because at Yankee stadium a simple pop up to right field was a HR all year long.  Not so much in the ALCS so far.
    So true about NYY Stadium.

Though, could it be a combination of good pitching and cooler weather? I think so.
    Balls have traveled 4 and half feet less in the postseason. Some of that can be cooler weather. But it's mostly been summer type weather so far
    I miss igotid88