Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    My bracket is almost perfect.  Fuck the Cardinals.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412

• Options
    DewieCox said:

Wrong.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

Wrong.
    Ok, it was probably this.

• Options
    I seriously have gotten every pick right so far... except them.. :angry::wink:
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    mfc2006 said:
    Hell yes!!!!! Should be a fun series against the Yanks!
    Let’s go. Assuming it’s gonna be a dogfight 
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    I just saw how bad the Tampa pitcher with tipping his curve and fastball last night ... Houston knew what was coming.

I can't fault the Astros for recognizing it.  Someone on Tampa should have been aware and told him.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    Must suck for the Nats to have to use their 4th starter in game 1. Hopefully they can get better pitching out of their "better" starters.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,450
    I realized the nats have no one on their roster I dislike, even howie kendrick has reformed.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Loving the subtle application of the backstop ad over the lh batters.

EDIT: Not there now, but I swear it showed up over Wong’s uni.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    this feels like it may be the nats destiny to win.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    John smoltz is miserable 
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,422
    Sorry if off topic, but haven't seen anything posted about this:

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1853258

Report: Angels knew about Skaggs' drug use in 2017
    19h ago
    Icon Sportswire / Getty
    ANAHEIM CA - JULY 12 Los Angeles Angels players applaud after putting their Tyler Skaggs 45 jerseys on the mound after the Angels defeated the Seattle Mariners in a no-hitter 13 to 0 in a game played on July 12 2019 at Angel Stadium of Anaheim in Anaheim CA

Los Angeles Angels public relations employee told federal investigators he supplied Tyler Skaggs with oxycodone, saw the pitcher snorting crushed opioids hours before his death, and knew that two team officials had been informed about Skaggs' drug use much earlier, sources told T.J. Quinn of ESPN's Outside the Lines.

The Angels denied any such knowledge Saturday, and MLB said it was not aware of the allegations.

Angels director of communications Eric Kay reportedly told U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration investigators he and Skaggs abused oxycodone together for years. Kay also named five other Angels players he believed used opiates while they were with the organization, sources said.

Kay's attorney confirmed to Quinn the details of Kay's statements to the DEA, but wouldn't allow his client to comment.

Skaggs died July 1 after choking on his own vomit in a Texas hotel room. An autopsy found fentanyl, oxycodone, and alcohol in his system, and the DEA opened an investigation into his death in mid-September.

The communications director reportedly told DEA agents he first mentioned Skaggs' drug use to Tim Mead, the former Angels vice president of communications, in 2017. In April 2019, as Kay recovered from a drug overdose in hospital, he said he received a text from Skaggs seeking drugs. Mead and Kay's mother were visiting Kay at the time. Kay's mother told Quinn she saw the texts from Skaggs and informed Mead the team needed to intervene. Kay also told the DEA another Angels official knew about Skaggs' drug use, sources said.

Under MLB's Joint Drug Agreement, any team official who becomes aware a player is abusing drugs must report it to the commissioner's office. However, no member of the Angels ever contacted the league, an anonymous MLB official told Quinn.

"I have had a lot of conversations with Eric Kay about a lot of things, but opioids and Tyler Skaggs were not one of them," Mead told Quinn. He said he was never aware the pitcher used opioids before his death.

The Angels also denied they were ever informed.

"We have never heard that any employee was providing illegal narcotics to any player, or that any player was seeking illegal narcotics," team president John Carpino said Saturday, according to Maria Torres of the Los Angeles Times. "The Angels maintain a strict, zero-tolerance policy regarding the illicit use of drugs for both players and staff. Every one of our players must also abide by the MLB Joint Drug Agreement."

Kay told investigators he would get drugs for both him and Skaggs, and Skaggs would pay for them, sources said. Kay reportedly said he gave Skaggs three oxycodone pills a day or two before the Angels headed to Texas on their road trip, but he doesn't believe those were the drugs Skaggs used the day he died because the pitcher would normally take them right away.

On the day of Skaggs' death, Kay saw the 27-year-old snort three lines of crushed opioids - two of which resembled oxycodone to Kay and one of which was a substance he couldn't identify, he reportedly told investigators. Kay reportedly said Skaggs offered him drugs, but he declined.

The Angels have placed Kay on paid leave as he undergoes outpatient treatment for substance abuse. Mead left the Angels in June and is now president of the Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum in Cooperstown, New York.

"MLB was unaware of any of these allegations," a league spokesperson told Quinn. "MLB will fully cooperate with the government investigation and conduct its own investigation when the government investigation is completed."

After Skaggs' cause of death became public, his family said in a statement that they were "shocked to learn that it may involve an employee of the Los Angeles Angels."

The family's attorney, Rusty Hardin, spoke on their behalf Saturday: "They greatly appreciate the work that law enforcement is doing, and they are patiently awaiting the results of the investigation."

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,313
    cutz said:

19h ago
    Icon Sportswire / Getty
    ANAHEIM CA - JULY 12 Los Angeles Angels players applaud after putting their Tyler Skaggs 45 jerseys on the mound after the Angels defeated the Seattle Mariners in a no-hitter 13 to 0 in a game played on July 12 2019 at Angel Stadium of Anaheim in Anaheim CA

Los Angeles Angels public relations employee told federal investigators he supplied Tyler Skaggs with oxycodone, saw the pitcher snorting crushed opioids hours before his death, and knew that two team officials had been informed about Skaggs' drug use much earlier, sources told T.J. Quinn of ESPN's Outside the Lines.

The Angels denied any such knowledge Saturday, and MLB said it was not aware of the allegations.

Angels director of communications Eric Kay reportedly told U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration investigators he and Skaggs abused oxycodone together for years. Kay also named five other Angels players he believed used opiates while they were with the organization, sources said.

Kay's attorney confirmed to Quinn the details of Kay's statements to the DEA, but wouldn't allow his client to comment.

Skaggs died July 1 after choking on his own vomit in a Texas hotel room. An autopsy found fentanyl, oxycodone, and alcohol in his system, and the DEA opened an investigation into his death in mid-September.

The communications director reportedly told DEA agents he first mentioned Skaggs' drug use to Tim Mead, the former Angels vice president of communications, in 2017. In April 2019, as Kay recovered from a drug overdose in hospital, he said he received a text from Skaggs seeking drugs. Mead and Kay's mother were visiting Kay at the time. Kay's mother told Quinn she saw the texts from Skaggs and informed Mead the team needed to intervene. Kay also told the DEA another Angels official knew about Skaggs' drug use, sources said.

Under MLB's Joint Drug Agreement, any team official who becomes aware a player is abusing drugs must report it to the commissioner's office. However, no member of the Angels ever contacted the league, an anonymous MLB official told Quinn.

"I have had a lot of conversations with Eric Kay about a lot of things, but opioids and Tyler Skaggs were not one of them," Mead told Quinn. He said he was never aware the pitcher used opioids before his death.

"We have never heard that any employee was providing illegal narcotics to any player, or that any player was seeking illegal narcotics," team president John Carpino said Saturday, according to Maria Torres of the Los Angeles Times. "The Angels maintain a strict, zero-tolerance policy regarding the illicit use of drugs for both players and staff. Every one of our players must also abide by the MLB Joint Drug Agreement."

Kay told investigators he would get drugs for both him and Skaggs, and Skaggs would pay for them, sources said. Kay reportedly said he gave Skaggs three oxycodone pills a day or two before the Angels headed to Texas on their road trip, but he doesn't believe those were the drugs Skaggs used the day he died because the pitcher would normally take them right away.

On the day of Skaggs' death, Kay saw the 27-year-old snort three lines of crushed opioids - two of which resembled oxycodone to Kay and one of which was a substance he couldn't identify, he reportedly told investigators. Kay reportedly said Skaggs offered him drugs, but he declined.

The Angels have placed Kay on paid leave as he undergoes outpatient treatment for substance abuse. Mead left the Angels in June and is now president of the Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum in Cooperstown, New York.

"MLB was unaware of any of these allegations," a league spokesperson told Quinn. "MLB will fully cooperate with the government investigation and conduct its own investigation when the government investigation is completed."

After Skaggs' cause of death became public, his family said in a statement that they were "shocked to learn that it may involve an employee of the Los Angeles Angels."

The family's attorney, Rusty Hardin, spoke on their behalf Saturday: "They greatly appreciate the work that law enforcement is doing, and they are patiently awaiting the results of the investigation."

I posted an artice above
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,845
    I hope it's not Yanks and Nationals in the World Series.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,422
    igotid88 said:
    cutz said:

19h ago
    Icon Sportswire / Getty

I posted an artice above
    Sorry, i didn't notice the Link.
  • Options
    I'm all for an east coast WS.  I'll be able to watch.
  • Options
    So awards this year.

I am actually having an argument with someone that thinks DJ Lamahieu should win the MVP award.  I think Bregman wins it because Trout got hurt.  I see Dj being in third place.

Thoughts?

• Options
    If you need towels to try to be intimidating, you’re not 
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,845
    I'm all for an east coast WS.  I'll be able to watch.
    yeah but if you're a phillies fan it would be tough to watch. I guess I would root for thew Yanks :confounded:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

well, the yankees have actual goombahs in attendance.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

So no towels needed
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

So no towels needed

guns, shivs and brass knuckles.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    Great win. I hope they can keep the momentum going in game 3!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I have never been so disinterested in LCS
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    I have never been so disinterested in LCS

I’m enjoying both.

Go Nats! Go ‘stros!

I must say though, after the justice, sheffield, mondesi, clemens, a-fraud teams, these yankees are pretty likeable......except for chapman :angry:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    That slide thing Soto does is super douchey 
  • Options
    Nationals got the mojo.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    They need to put little league style pitch limits on these guys.