Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    Poncier said:
    His post season accomplishments set him apart from other pitchers with similar regular season numbers.
    Success on the biggest stage has to count for something, otherwise we'd have a HOF filled with folks like Harold Baines.
    It's filling up that way so it seems.

So with what you said does Beckett get more consideration because of his Post Season heroics?
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,219
    Nah, Beckett had only 138 wins and 1901 K's compared to Schilling's 210 and over 3,000.
    Beckett would have needed to pitch 10 CG shutouts including 3 no hitters in post season to get in with his regular season numbers.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    Schilling shouldn't be voted in for a long time. A lot better players have waited longer. Hell, Blyleven waited 14 fucking years to get in. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Nah, Beckett had only 138 wins and 1901 K's compared to Schilling's 210 and over 3,000.
    Beckett would have needed to pitch 10 CG shutouts including 3 no hitters in post season to get in with his regular season numbers.
    I agree.  I was asking your thoughts.  Thanks.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I love the Schilling video game company story
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Curt Schilling. Jackass extraordinaire. Fucker argues on Twitter with anti-Trumpers. 
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,066
    New manager of the Mets is Luis Rojas, a brother of Moises Alou.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    Bowman released their scouting report and here are the top 10 prospects this year.

1 Wander Franco
    2 Luis Robert
    3 Jo Adell
    4 Gavin Lux
    5 Adley Rustchman
    6 Mackenzie Gore
    7 Nate Pearson
    8 Julio Rodriguez
    9 Jesus Luzardo
    10 Dylan Carlson

I would expect a few of these guys to see playing time this year.  Gore should be a starter this year, he has been that good in the minors.

The next few guys on the list should all see playing time and they are Kelenic, Pache, Mize, McKay and Kieboom.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
  • Options
    Nothing against Larry Walker, who was a very good player in the 90's and was even named 1997 NL MVP over Bonds and others. But any point in your life did you think you were watching a hall of fame player when you watched Larry Walker? I learned Ken Griffey Jr. was a Hall of Famer when I was like 9 years old. I learned Larry Walker was a hall of famer yesterday. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    So only Jeter & Walker got in?
    Ted Simmons and Marvin Miller too from the Committee.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    It's a great time for people named Larry.  A golden age, some would say.

But no, never in a million years did I ever think Larry Walker would be in the hall of fame someday.  Tim Raines has to make it now, right?  He was at least 25x more awesome in my memory.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

But no, never in a million years did I ever think Larry Walker would be in the hall of fame someday.  Tim Raines has to make it now, right?  He was at least 25x more awesome in my memory.
    I hope you are joking and want Harold Baines in too?
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Jason P said:

Baines didn't lead off in R.B.I. Baseball
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Jason P said:
    Jason P said:

Baines didn't lead off in R.B.I. Baseball

Ha!
    Tony Armas ftw
    RBI2
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,219
    Jason P said:
      Tim Raines has to make it now, right?  He was at least 25x more awesome in my memory.

Welcome to 2017.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Not so hot stove....leads to things like this, but I liked it 
    Agree on the worst name:
    HardballTalk : Ranking the names of major league ballparks
  • Options
    Agree on the worst name:
    They should have mentioned that Minutemaid was once Enron Field!  Is it really fitting now that they used to be called that?
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Jason P said:
      Tim Raines has to make it now, right?  He was at least 25x more awesome in my memory.

Welcome to 2017.
    I talked w an old timer at a card show and he had no qualms about having Raines in the HOF.  He told me to check his numbers for his first 10 years.  I did and he was great.  I had never looked at his stats before and he had a hell of a career starting off.
  • Options
    Agree on the worst name:
    They should have mentioned that Minutemaid was once Enron Field!  Is it really fitting now that they used to be called that?

Good call out!
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Castellanos to Reds.

Have to like moves to get more swing going...since Pitching was good for the team last year.
    Not sure how all of these moves sugar down, though.
    Lots of OFers.

FA signees this offseason for the Redlegs:
    Nick Castellanos ($64 million)
    Mike Moustakas ($64 million)
    Shogo Akiyama ($21 million)
    Wade Miley ($15 million)

SPs:
    Castillo
    Gray
    Bauer
    Wade Miley
    Anthony DeSclafani

Bullpen - Iglesias as Closer, lots of good arms but you never know with bullpens...much depends on how the SPs go and how much you have to use them

Everyday Lineup?
    1. LF - Shogo Akiyama - no clue.  Meant to be a good hitter/fielder, never seen him play
    2. 1B - Votto - can still get on base but power seems gone
    3. 3B - Suarez - young bull
    4. 2B - Moustakas - should put up great numbers
    5. RF - Castellanos - should mash there
    6. CF - Nich Senzel - hope he has a better year, all the skills and young
    7. SS - Freddie Galvis - ehh, not in love with this but not awful
    8. C - Tucker Barnhart - won a gold glove in the past, not much at the plate
    Bench:
    Josh VanMeter - young guy, Util IF, was pretty good with playing time
    Jesse Winker - perhaps it will take a platoon or change of scenery, but I believe this guy is gonna be good
    Aristedes Aquino -- the frigging Punisher?  He was awesome last year.  No chance to see if he can be good/great?
    Phillip Ervin - been pretty good in OF when he gets playing time

Exciting to wonder about you team this time of year -- division has some good teams, gonna take a lot of things working out how they like to see success but if Miley and/or DeSclafani can be very good they could be lots of fun.

Lots of ifs....what is Votto bounces back and Senzel fulfills some of his much hyped potential?  And if this kid from Japan can be a legitimate major league leadoff hitter?

Just want to make the playoffs again!  :)
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Division has no good teams.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    Division has no good teams.
    Good enough to get two team into the playoffs....but I hope you are right - it will mean that perhaps the Reds can be in the picture for playoffs.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    Good for the reds
  • Options
    Castellanos to Reds.

Have to like moves to get more swing going...since Pitching was good for the team last year.
    Lots of OFers.

Wade Miley ($15 million)

SPs:
    Castillo
    Gray
    Bauer
    Wade Miley
    Anthony DeSclafani

Bullpen - Iglesias as Closer, lots of good arms but you never know with bullpens...much depends on how the SPs go and how much you have to use them

Everyday Lineup?
    1. LF - Shogo Akiyama - no clue.  Meant to be a good hitter/fielder, never seen him play
    Bench:
    Jesse Winker - perhaps it will take a platoon or change of scenery, but I believe this guy is gonna be good
    Aristedes Aquino -- the frigging Punisher?  He was awesome last year.  No chance to see if he can be good/great?

Exciting to wonder about you team this time of year -- division has some good teams, gonna take a lot of things working out how they like to see success but if Miley and/or DeSclafani can be very good they could be lots of fun.

Lots of ifs....what is Votto bounces back and Senzel fulfills some of his much hyped potential?  And if this kid from Japan can be a legitimate major league leadoff hitter?

I invested a lot of money in Senzel cards so I hope he has a breakout year.
  • Options
    Castellanos to Reds.

Lots of OFers.

Wade Miley ($15 million)

SPs:
    Castillo
    Gray
    Bauer
    Wade Miley
    Anthony DeSclafani

Everyday Lineup?
    Bench:

I hope the value skyrockets!  :)
  • Options
    Castellanos to Reds.

Lots of OFers.

Wade Miley ($15 million)

SPs:
    Castillo
    Gray
    Bauer
    Wade Miley
    Anthony DeSclafani

Everyday Lineup?
    Bench:

I hope the value skyrockets!  :)
    You are too kind sir!
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,770
    Whole lee hell this is some good stuff I discovered via The Athletic:

http://signstealingscandal.com
  • Options
    Did I miss the part where he shares what the results of the banging was?  Seems that would be a good thing to track to see how effective it was.  (Perhaps I didn't see it and it was in there.)

Lots of data, that shit is crazy.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    He said he wasn’t going to dive into the results, just provide them and let other people figure it out. Also I think a really good point is that it’s not just the banging that’s cheating, it’s also the lack of banging that also helped since the banging signaled a certain pitch.