DewieCox said:
    igotid88 said:
    DewieCox said:
    igotid88 said:
    DewieCox said:
    Congrats Ted Simmons!!

Suck it Donnie!! LOL
    That sucks. Mattingly is a way better player than Simmons
    Nah, maybe a bit better but Simmons is among the handful of best at his position and Mattinglys never sniffed that conversation. I’m surprised he got in but always good to see the home team get one in.
    What do you mean never was in that conversation? The fact he stayed on the main ballot longer than Simmons( Sinmons was out after 1 year). And was a candidate these past couple of years. Shows he's still in that conversation.
    Best at the position. 
    I know what you meant. He is considered one of the best 1st basemen.

A first baseman that can hit for average and power and can field. Is still getting consideration for the Hall. Has never been in the conversation?
    Mattingly was the best from 84-88 with 89 being a solid season.  After that he fell off the rails.
    Because of his back. He was still a good hitter and fielder. The power was just gone. Also he didn't play 20 years. So if he had played another 6 years. He would have gotten the numbers.
    I remember very clearly it was his back.

He could still field which I thought was odd though.  No pop in the bat but still was winning Gold Gloves.

I still say he needs better stats to get in.  The days of a player like Ozzie Smith getting in are gone sans Omar Vizquel.  I think he should get in for his glove alone.
    His numbers are way better than Ozzie's. Thought Visquel should go in.
    Ozzie is the greatest defensive player of all
    time. 
    Brooks Robinson?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    One of the best at his position, in the 80s.  I think that would include Donnie. 
    Thi. 
    DewieCox said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    DewieCox said:
    igotid88 said:
    DewieCox said:
    igotid88 said:
    DewieCox said:
    igotid88 said:
    DewieCox said:
    Congrats Ted Simmons!!

Suck it Donnie!! LOL
    Nah, maybe a bit better but Simmons is among the handful of best at his position and Mattinglys never sniffed that conversation. I’m surprised he got in but always good to see the home team get one in.
    What do you mean never was in that conversation? The fact he stayed on the main ballot longer than Simmons( Sinmons was out after 1 year). And was a candidate these past couple of years. Shows he's still in that conversation.
    Best at the position. 

A first baseman that can hit for average and power and can field. Is still getting consideration for the Hall. Has never been in the conversation?
    Mattingly was the best from 84-88 with 89 being a solid season.  After that he fell off the rails.
    Because of his back. He was still a good hitter and fielder. The power was just gone. Also he didn't play 20 years. So if he had played another 6 years. He would have gotten the numbers.

He could still field which I thought was odd though.  No pop in the bat but still was winning Gold Gloves.

I still say he needs better stats to get in.  The days of a player like Ozzie Smith getting in are gone sans Omar Vizquel.  I think he should get in for his glove alone.
    time. 
    Brooks Robinson?
    Ozzie can shove his backflip* back up his tiny butt.

*jaded Reds fan, pissed about those years Ozzie started in the NL All Star Game & got super love from the media because of his showmanship when the best SS in the NL was clearly Barry Larkin.  :lol:  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,383
    Poncier said:
    Seems like the most logical thread for this: RIP Pete Frates.
    I was just about to post this. RIP; such a horrible disease.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    DewieCox said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    DewieCox said:
    igotid88 said:
    DewieCox said:
    igotid88 said:
    DewieCox said:
    igotid88 said:
    DewieCox said:
    Congrats Ted Simmons!!

Suck it Donnie!! LOL
    Best at the position. 

time. 
    Brooks Robinson?
    Ozzie has the best defensive War 
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,772
    9 yrs 324m is being seen as "not a bad" over/under. Yeeeeeesh.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/12/latest-on-gerrit-cole-3.html
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,383
    I wish Houston could keep him, but that’s a lot of money. Damn! Wish him the best with his next team.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    9 yrs 324m is being seen as "not a bad" over/under. Yeeeeeesh.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/12/latest-on-gerrit-cole-3.html
    Angels or mystery team, really cant see the yanks doing that but who knows 
  • Options
    I don't know how it's anyone not named the Yankees. They can do the money, they can do the years, they can do the options to justify "9" years.
  • Options
    I don't know how it's anyone not named the Yankees. They can do the money, they can do the years, they can do the options to justify "9" years.
    They can, they should, they haven’t under Hal. 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,232
    Pretty interesting breakdown of the possible Cole deal and what it would actually mean in comparison to total revenue of MLB as a whole and previous pitchers in similar situations.

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2019/12/10/21004691/mlb-free-agency-stephen-strasburg-contract-record-deal-price-kershaw-gerrit-cole-yankees-mlb-revenue
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Pretty interesting breakdown of the possible Cole deal and what it would actually mean in comparison to total revenue of MLB as a whole and previous pitchers in similar situations.

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2019/12/10/21004691/mlb-free-agency-stephen-strasburg-contract-record-deal-price-kershaw-gerrit-cole-yankees-mlb-revenue
    With how pitching is now a days, it has become a premium.

Parents, please teach your kids how to do two things great.

Place kicking and throwing a knuckleball.

Please teach them how to do both of these things great.

Thanks
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Only Mattingly and Murphy are not in the Hall

What homer made this list?  This must have been a fan vote.  Whenever Nolan Ryan gets mentioned as the best I get cautious.

I would have put up Stieb and Quisinberry before Ryan.  Ryan was the most exciting to watch though, I'll admit to that. 
    Popular name in Ryan, but not even close to best pitcher of that decade. Fernando Valenzuela and Stieb were solid for sure. Even the half decade work of Clemens, Gooden and Hershiser is more impressive, but Quisinberry, nah, below Ryan for sure.

I always did really like Murphy though. A shame he has still not gotten in.
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    igotid88 said:
    Only Mattingly and Murphy are not in the Hall

What homer made this list?  This must have been a fan vote.  Whenever Nolan Ryan gets mentioned as the best I get cautious.

I would have put up Stieb and Quisinberry before Ryan.  Ryan was the most exciting to watch though, I'll admit to that. 
    Popular name in Ryan, but not even close to best pitcher of that decade. Fernando Valenzuela and Stieb were solid for sure. Even the half decade work of Clemens, Gooden and Hershiser is more impressive, but Quisinberry, nah, below Ryan for sure.

I always did really like Murphy though. A shame he has still not gotten in.
    People forget how much of a beast Quis was.

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Quisenberry was a reliever. And albeit a very good one, you can’t really compare that to a starter. 
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,853
    Gerrit Cole to the Yanks
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    9/324
    Damn
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    MissPennyLaneMissPennyLane Redondo Beach, CA Posts: 687
    Plzzzz Rendon don't leave the nationals.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,322
    I think they said they can only afford one big contract. But I could be wrong
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,261
    9/324
    Damn
    Can’t wait for Tommy John halfway through
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    9/324
    Damn
    Can’t wait for Tommy John halfway through
    Lol such a hater take. You’re too old to be a hater. 

Fuck Tommy John, who cares, he’d come back throwing harder.
  • Options
    But the reality for the rest of baseball is far more grim, for the signing of Cole isn’t a blast from the past, but an embodiment of the game’s worst fears. The Yankees are well-run, well-heeled and well-schooled in the art of reeling in the big fish. And as a result, the best pitcher in the game joins a team that will be favored to win the World Series. It happened not because of impulse or short-sighted thinking, but because a calculated process rooted in data led the Yankees to a clear conclusion.

https://theathletic.com/1451329/2019/12/11/carig-gerrit-cole-is-a-yankee-and-now-everyone-else-must-pay-the-price/?source=shared-article
  • Options
    But the reality for the rest of baseball is far more grim, for the signing of Cole isn’t a blast from the past, but an embodiment of the game’s worst fears. The Yankees are well-run, well-heeled and well-schooled in the art of reeling in the big fish. And as a result, the best pitcher in the game joins a team that will be favored to win the World Series. It happened not because of impulse or short-sighted thinking, but because a calculated process rooted in data led the Yankees to a clear conclusion.

https://theathletic.com/1451329/2019/12/11/carig-gerrit-cole-is-a-yankee-and-now-everyone-else-must-pay-the-price/?source=shared-article
    And here I thought 9yr contracts to older players was a thing of the past.

Yankees front office said to me "hold my beer"...

AND to a pitcher!

Yanks better get at least 2 WS out of this.  They only got one out of A-rod and he was the reason they did get that one.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    How did they convince him!?
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,261

AND to a pitcher!

Yanks better get at least 2 WS out of this.  They only got one out of A-rod and he was the reason they did get that one.
    I'd say 2 at minimum for that insane money. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

AND to a pitcher!

Or what? The Steinbrenners are going to be in line at a soup kitchen in Tampa?  The Yankees print money.  They know they are going to have to do other things over the next 9 years and pretty sure they factored that in.  Will this stop them from getting free agents? Of course, but this is the guy they picked because they are knocking on the door of a world series and this is exactly what they were missing. 

Also, this is the crop of upcoming free agent pitchers. The time is now.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-free-agents-for-2020-2021-and-2022-c302396056

• Options

AND to a pitcher!

I'll go out on a limb and say they make 3 appearances in a world series within the first 5 years and Cole is top 5 pitcher the first 3 years, but no CY. Then he basically becomes a journeyman who can still scrounge 10 -15 wins a year with a low 4 ERA and the Yankees don't get past ALCS. By 2025, he's dead weight.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,322
    MayDay10 said:
    How did they convince him!?
    He was a Yankees fan growing up. They drafted him. Cashman wanted him for a while.  
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    igotid88 said:
    I think they said they can only afford one big contract. But I could be wrong
    Strasburg set his contract up so that $80M of it is deferred and will be paid after 2027 when it expires.  He did that in hopes he could convince Rendon to do something similar.  That's still an average of $23.5M payroll hit a year, but it's a hell of a lot better than $35M.  They can make it happen if they really want.  They made smart moves last year, I'm sure they're weighing the options to see what they can do.
  • Options
    tbergs said:

AND to a pitcher!

I'll go out on a limb and say they make 3 appearances in a world series within the first 5 years and Cole is top 5 pitcher the first 3 years, but no CY. Then he basically becomes a journeyman who can still scrounge 10 -15 wins a year with a low 4 ERA and the Yankees don't get past ALCS. By 2025, he's dead weight.
    I am more than happy with this outcome.
  • Options
    Regardless of the deferrals the luxury tax hit is the same. Also not mentioned above with this team that loves the deferral: I believe this is their first where there's interest involved (HAHA).

Looking at their salary commitments, though, they're about ~$35M under the cap as it is so they could still feasibly sign Rendon.