MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• I'm not big on execs but I read up on him, big loss.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,143
    What do you think of the new rule that if a catcher goes to the mound twice the team has to change the pitcher?
    I miss igotid88
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I'm kind of bummed out... but have come to terms with this for about 5 years now so it isnt a huge punch in the gut.  Once the 2019 All Star Game was announced in Cleveland, I knew MLB would hold it over Dolan's head to force a change.  It sounds like they compromised somewhat, as they will be permitted to sell items/apparel with the logo(s) on them.  It just can't appear on-field.  

I just hope they do well with a new logo/concept.  IMO the best way to go would be the 70s/early 80s logo and uniforms.  It would be a good way to quiet a lot of the fans who are losing their shit right now.

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    igotid88 said:
    What do you think of the new rule that if a catcher goes to the mound twice the team has to change the pitcher?
    Fucking stupid.  For one, it's absolutely counter-intuitive to the whole "we need to speed the game up so short-attention-spanned idiots can follow" thing they're trying to push. Now instead of just allowing a 10 second mound visit, you're gonna make someone be ready in the bullpen, run on the field, warm up on the mound, and he's gonna talk to the damn catcher anyway.
  • igotid88 said:
    Fucking stupid.  For one, it's absolutely counter-intuitive to the whole "we need to speed the game up so short-attention-spanned idiots can follow" thing they're trying to push. Now instead of just allowing a 10 second mound visit, you're gonna make someone be ready in the bullpen, run on the field, warm up on the mound, and he's gonna talk to the damn catcher anyway.
    Agreed.

You want to speed up the game?  Don't let the batter step out EVERY pitch and watch him take signs from the base coach for 5 minutes...
    igotid88 said:
    Agreed.

You want to speed up the game?  Don't let the batter step out EVERY pitch and watch him take signs from the base coach for 5 minutes...
    there is a rule that if you don't swing you're not supposed to step out.
    I miss igotid88
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    edited January 2018
    You want to speed up the game? Leave the fucking pitchers alone. You can’t make rules in favor of more offense and not expect longer innings, more pitches, more changes, more pitching strategy.
    igotid88 said:
    Agreed.

That and fiddle with their god damn batting gloves, necklaces, helmet, belt, & chewing gum bubbles for 45 seconds after every damn pitch. You stared at a fastball down the middle and didn’t move. How could your uniform possibly be so out of place that you’ve gotta adjust every god damn square inch of fabric on your body??? Get back in the damn box.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710

MayDay10 said:
    I'm kind of bummed out... but have come to terms with this for about 5 years now so it isnt a huge punch in the gut.  Once the 2019 All Star Game was announced in Cleveland, I knew MLB would hold it over Dolan's head to force a change.  It sounds like they compromised somewhat, as they will be permitted to sell items/apparel with the logo(s) on them.  It just can't appear on-field.  

I just hope they do well with a new logo/concept.  IMO the best way to go would be the 70s/early 80s logo and uniforms.  It would be a good way to quiet a lot of the fans who are losing their shit right now.

RIP Oscar Gamble
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    igotid88 said:
    Agreed.

That and fiddle with their god damn batting gloves, necklaces, helmet, belt, & chewing gum bubbles for 45 seconds after every damn pitch. You stared at a fastball down the middle and didn’t move. How could your uniform possibly be so out of place that you’ve gotta adjust every god damn square inch of fabric on your body??? Get back in the damn box.

red sox seem to always have the worst offenders.

fucking sox.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    It's February 1st and still so many players are unsigned
    I miss igotid88
    Wobbie said:
    igotid88 said:
    Agreed.

red sox seem to always have the worst offenders.

fucking sox.
    "Nomaahh" was THEE fucking worst!
    igotid88 said:
    Agreed.

from the SF Chronicle....and it's true....

"Required viewing for all hitters who will need to stop stalling: Barry Bonds in the batter’s box, any game, any year. He was in there to hit, to sustain his mental edge on the opposition, and he wasn’t about to step out. Whatever the pitcher may do, Bonds was planted there, waiting. Such simple, magnificent strategy, and so rare on the dawdlers’ landscape."

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    This is true...or so the rumors go. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Darvish to the Cubs
    I miss igotid88
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692

I am a baseball fan in general and will root for Bryce Harper and Kershaw the same day in the same game...
    Will you still root for them both when the Cubs and Yankees play each other in October of 2019? :smiley:
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    igotid88 said:

the 44 pounds has a nice symetry with the $44M he made in his career :tired_face:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Big free agent signing today. The MLB 2017 wins leader signs with the Mets.
    Without looking who is it???
    One of the... not THE. Couldn’t be Kluber or Kershaw and I can’t remember who the other 2 or 3 were. Wasn’t there another Indian?
    vargas

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    That was an aboslutely brilliant read!  As someone who loves baseball, is a bit more obssessed with routine than I'd like to be, tries to keep as private as possible in public settings, and doesn't have a great relationship with his father I can really relate to a lot of it.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Thoughts? 

I know i don't want this.

Minor League Baseball announces pace-of-play rules for 2018, including starting with a runner on second in extra innings, limited mound visits, pitch clocks atmlb.com/2tOjxeP 

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    The dumbest thing imaginable.  Just end in a tie.

Every extra innings game will start with someone on 2nd, a sac bunt followed by an intentional walk. So. F'ing. Stupid.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    I'm ok with limited mound visits and pitch clocks. There are some games that are just unbearable because the catcher visits the mound seemingly every other batter. Also, the whole deal where a pitcher staring down the batter for a minute or two before making the pitch (or making the batter step out of the box to call time) needs to go.

I don't think I like starting extra innings with a runner on second. I get that it's trying to limit the number of games that go past 12 innings or so, but it seems like it could give the home a major advantage without earning it. 
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    I guess i should be more specific, when i posted that Tweet.

I too, am ok with limited mound visits and pitch clocks.

When i said i know i don't want this: i mean= i REALLY don't like putting a runner on 2nd base in extra innings. 

I read quite a few comments on Twitter for that Tweet, and i actually got tired reading them cuz ther was so many, and it was close to %100 AGAINST placing a runner on 2nd in extra innings. I read a few that said they will not go to Minor League games because of that rule.
    The runner on 2nd is complete bullshit.  What the flying fuck is that going to do to speed up the 97% of games that DON'T go to extra innings??!!

I don't like the pitch clock rule, either.  Limited mound visits - I'm sort of okay with but I don't like the way it's being implemented.

These things aren't what is slowing down games.  It's players making $200 million and therefore 6-8 minute long commercial breaks because they need the advertising to pay for the sport.

A hard salary cap would speed baseball up WAY more than any of these fucking idiotic gimmicks.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again... if you're too bored watching baseball, it isn't the sport for you.  Go watch basketball or football where it only take 2 brain cells to follow.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Wow I would be hard pressed to dislike a rule change more than I dislike this.

The whole 'kids dont watch it any longer' argument is not served by shaving 10 minutes off from the average game clock.  (Yes...Yanks/Sox games are a fucking crime against humanity with all of the shenanigans leading to a 30 minute longer game, but I still watch.)

Kids don't watch because the attention span of a kid is 1/20 of what it used to be.  There are 75x more things to do than there was for kids to do during baseball's heyday. 

Don't fuck up the game for the people who actually do still like it.

The love he receives is the love that is saved