MLB 2019 Spring Training

1473474476478479497

Comments

  • cutzcutz Posts: 7,864
    Full article here  https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1655465


    Best fits

    New York Yankees

    • In the Yankees' quest to dethrone the Boston Red Sox, many pundits expect them to go big-game hunting in free agency. Harper isn't a perfect roster fit for them, and now that they've addressed some of their pitching needs by trading for James Paxton, New York could go after Machado. Didi Gregorius is slated to miss a large portion of next season after requiring Tommy John surgery, and although Gleyber Torres could slide over to shortstop, that would leave a different vacancy at second base. Machado in the Bronx makes a lot of sense.

    Philadelphia Phillies

    • Until both Harper and Machado sign, the Phillies will be tied to both. They have less than $100 million on the books for next season and an ownership that's willing to recklessly spend. They also have a notable need at pretty much every position on the diamond, especially on the left side of the infield.

    Chicago White Sox

    • The White Sox are a lot further away from a playoff spot than simply adding Machado, but that hasn't stopped the parties from being linked. Perhaps if Yoan Moncada and Lucas Giolito actually take steps forward next year, and if Michael Kopech comes back healthy, they could be close. But, for now, they aren't. What they do have, though, is plenty of payroll room before coming anywhere near the luxury tax. If Chicago is looking for a marketable face that may help lead the younger players into contention, Machado could, conceivably, be it.

    Prediction

    Machado signs a 10-year, $310-million deal with the Yankees.

  • Los Angeles Angels

    The Angels have missed the postseason in six of the seven years that Mike Trout has been a full-time player. And that one occasion saw the Kansas City Royals sweep them in a three-game ALDS in 2014.

    Think about that for a second. The Angels have yet to win a playoff game in the Mike Trout era. That is a colossal disappointment, and the biggest culprit has been poor starting pitching.

    Shohei Ohtani won't pitch in 2019, either, so the current outlook is bleak. Finding a way to get a player like Syndergaard should be a priority, but the current roster makes that idea a difficult one to imagine. Kole Calhoun and Zack Cozart are individuals they wouldn't exactly miss, but the Mets would laugh at that offer. Andrelton Simmons would be intriguing (Amed Rosario could shift to second base), but it would be shocking to see the Angels part with him.


    As an Angels fan I am absolutely pissed that they have the best player on the planet but they can't build a team around him...  They do Have Adell and Maitan coming up soon hopefully so that would be a huge plus to the lineup.


    Like mentioned above Calhoun needs to go...  20HR and a 200 BA isn't helping anything... 

  • I personally think denying someone the HOF because of steroid use is one of the dumbest, most holier-than-thou excuses to not vote for them I've ever heard.  We were all absolutely thrilled about what those guys were doing in the 90s & early 00's.  Now we're on some moral high horse when it comes to career awards & recognition? Why?  When almost the entire league was doing it, why punish the ones who had more success?  It's just like black-balling Lance Armstrong from cycling.  When one cheater beats the other cheaters, he's still better than the athletes in defeat.  Bonds Hall, McGwire Hall, Sosa Hall, Clemens Hall, ARod Hall, Manny Hall, Palmeiro Hall, etc.
    I'm not saying everyone should cheat nor am I downplaying "playing the right way" but when the playing field is even, maintained success should still be recognized.
    TY.  This is my exact feelings too.
  • DewieCox said:
    I personally think denying someone the HOF because of steroid use is one of the dumbest, most holier-than-thou excuses to not vote for them I've ever heard.  We were all absolutely thrilled about what those guys were doing in the 90s & early 00's.  Now we're on some moral high horse when it comes to career awards & recognition? Why?  When almost the entire league was doing it, why punish the ones who had more success?  It's just like black-balling Lance Armstrong from cycling.  When one cheater beats the other cheaters, he's still better than the athletes in defeat.  Bonds Hall, McGwire Hall, Sosa Hall, Clemens Hall, ARod Hall, Manny Hall, Palmeiro Hall, etc.
    I'm not saying everyone should cheat nor am I downplaying "playing the right way" but when the playing field is even, maintained success should still be recognized.

    Im not anti steroid guys. I just think it’s fair to figuratively adjust he numbers and attempt to predict their career trajectory without them. Facts are some of those guys were on a HoF path and some of them weren’t, especially guys like Sosa whose numbers jumped drastically.
    Told you that Sosa was a 30/30 guy before juicing...
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 9,673
    A barely 30/30 outfielder, .250 batting average, that perennially led the league in strikeouts and never came within a mile of a gold glove isn’t a hall of famer.
  • DewieCox said:
    A barely 30/30 outfielder, .250 batting average, that perennially led the league in strikeouts and never came within a mile of a gold glove isn’t a hall of famer.
    Is still a 30/30 player...

    When he was leading the league in K's he was hitting big time jacks.

    Leading the league in K's doesn't hold weight if you are producing.
  • When is Stanton coming back to the Marlins for the win?
  • cutzcutz Posts: 7,864
    https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1662406


    Report: Rival evaluators believe D-Backs intend to move Goldschmidt
    3h ago
    Jennifer Stewart / Getty Images Sport / Getty
    PHOENIX AZ - AUGUST 03 Paul Goldschmidt 44 of the Arizona Diamondbacks reacts after striking out in the MLB game against the San Francisco Giants at Chase Field on August 3 2018 in Phoenix Arizona The Arizona Diamondbacks won 6-3

    The Arizona Diamondbacks look like they want to blow things up.

    With rumors already circulating about them willing to listen to offers for Paul Goldschmidt and Zack Greinke, some rival evaluators believe Arizona is intent on moving Goldschmidt as they enter a rebuild, reports ESPN's Buster Olney.

    Even though Goldschmidt has been one of the National League's best players since 2013, the market for first basemen isn't strong.

    One evaluator estimates the D-Backs' return for Goldschmidt would be more than what the Pittsburgh Pirates received for Andrew McCutchen from the San Francisco Giants, but less than what the Baltimore Orioles acquired from the Los Angeles Dodgers for Manny Machado, Olney adds.

    SFPIT
    Andrew McCutchenBryan Reynolds
    CashKyle Crick
    Intl bonus money
    LADBAL
    Manny MachadoRylan Bannon
    Yusniel Diaz
    Dean Kremer
    Zach Pop
    Breyvic Valera

    The Houston Astros and St. Louis Cardinals already had reported talks with Arizona about the 31-year-old, who will reach free agency at the end of next season.

    Rival executives tell Olney the Cardinals are open to discussing big ideas.

    Goldschmidt finished sixth in NL MVP voting in 2018 (his fourth top-10 finish) even after a miserable May that featured a .144 batting average and .531 OPS. He finished the season hitting .290/.389/.533 with 33 home runs and 83 RBIs.

    He's set to earn $14.5 million in 2019.

  • cutz said:
    https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1662406


    Report: Rival evaluators believe D-Backs intend to move Goldschmidt
    3h ago
    Jennifer Stewart / Getty Images Sport / Getty
    PHOENIX AZ - AUGUST 03 Paul Goldschmidt 44 of the Arizona Diamondbacks reacts after striking out in the MLB game against the San Francisco Giants at Chase Field on August 3 2018 in Phoenix Arizona The Arizona Diamondbacks won 6-3

    The Arizona Diamondbacks look like they want to blow things up.

    With rumors already circulating about them willing to listen to offers for Paul Goldschmidt and Zack Greinke, some rival evaluators believe Arizona is intent on moving Goldschmidt as they enter a rebuild, reports ESPN's Buster Olney.

    Even though Goldschmidt has been one of the National League's best players since 2013, the market for first basemen isn't strong.

    One evaluator estimates the D-Backs' return for Goldschmidt would be more than what the Pittsburgh Pirates received for Andrew McCutchen from the San Francisco Giants, but less than what the Baltimore Orioles acquired from the Los Angeles Dodgers for Manny Machado, Olney adds.

    SFPIT
    Andrew McCutchenBryan Reynolds
    CashKyle Crick
    Intl bonus money
    LADBAL
    Manny MachadoRylan Bannon
    Yusniel Diaz
    Dean Kremer
    Zach Pop
    Breyvic Valera

    The Houston Astros and St. Louis Cardinals already had reported talks with Arizona about the 31-year-old, who will reach free agency at the end of next season.

    Rival executives tell Olney the Cardinals are open to discussing big ideas.

    Goldschmidt finished sixth in NL MVP voting in 2018 (his fourth top-10 finish) even after a miserable May that featured a .144 batting average and .531 OPS. He finished the season hitting .290/.389/.533 with 33 home runs and 83 RBIs.

    He's set to earn $14.5 million in 2019.

    Goldy stunk in the beginning of the season then caught fire.  He would be one hell of a pick up for someone.
  • I don’t understand getting rid of a guy like that. He would be exceptional for someone.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • I don’t understand getting rid of a guy like that. He would be exceptional for someone.
    Cleaning house for prospects.  The Atheltics' MO.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 28,043
    I would love for the Yanks to get Goldy.  Fits a clear need.
  • I would love for the Yanks to get Goldy.  Fits a clear need.
    He could replace Pujols at 1st for the Angels but they want to use Ohtani at DH...
  • cutzcutz Posts: 7,864
    https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1663735


    Report: Braves, Donaldson agree to 1-year, $23M deal
    2h ago
    Icon Sportswire / Getty
    HOUSTON TX - OCTOBER 06 Cleveland Indians third baseman Josh Donaldson 27 reacts after striking out swinging in the top of the second inning during the ALDS Game 2 between the Cleveland Indians and Houston Astros on October 6 2018 at Minute Maid Park in Houston Texas

    The Atlanta Braves and free-agent third baseman Josh Donaldson reportedly agreed to a one-year deal worth $23 million, sources told Ken Rosenthal of the Athletic.

    The three-time All-Star is coming off of an identical one-year, $23-million contract that he originally signed with the Toronto Blue Jays, avoiding arbitration.

    Donaldson was named the 2015 American League MVP and finished fourth in voting the following season. From 2014-16, only Mike Trout was worth more WAR among position players, according to FanGraphs.

    The 32-year-old appeared in just 52 games in an injury-plagued 2018. After Toronto traded him at the end of August, Donaldson posted a .920 OPS through his final 16 games with the Cleveland Indians.

    The deal represents a reunion of sorts as the two-time Silver Slugger joins general manager Alex Anthopoulos in Atlanta. Anthopoulos made the trade that brought Donaldson to the Blue Jays from the Oakland Athletics prior to the 2015 season.

  • cutz said:
    https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1663735


    Report: Braves, Donaldson agree to 1-year, $23M deal
    2h ago
    Icon Sportswire / Getty
    HOUSTON TX - OCTOBER 06 Cleveland Indians third baseman Josh Donaldson 27 reacts after striking out swinging in the top of the second inning during the ALDS Game 2 between the Cleveland Indians and Houston Astros on October 6 2018 at Minute Maid Park in Houston Texas

    The Atlanta Braves and free-agent third baseman Josh Donaldson reportedly agreed to a one-year deal worth $23 million, sources told Ken Rosenthal of the Athletic.

    The three-time All-Star is coming off of an identical one-year, $23-million contract that he originally signed with the Toronto Blue Jays, avoiding arbitration.

    Donaldson was named the 2015 American League MVP and finished fourth in voting the following season. From 2014-16, only Mike Trout was worth more WAR among position players, according to FanGraphs.

    The 32-year-old appeared in just 52 games in an injury-plagued 2018. After Toronto traded him at the end of August, Donaldson posted a .920 OPS through his final 16 games with the Cleveland Indians.

    The deal represents a reunion of sorts as the two-time Silver Slugger joins general manager Alex Anthopoulos in Atlanta. Anthopoulos made the trade that brought Donaldson to the Blue Jays from the Oakland Athletics prior to the 2015 season.

    The Braves are loading up!
  • https://nypost.com/2018/11/26/yankees-dump-popular-infielder-for-angels-pitcher/
    Torreyes is gone and I saw that McCann is back on the Braves?!?
  • cutzcutz Posts: 7,864
    The way the Mets operate i would think the Mariners would have to eat a lot of Money?


    Report: Mets 'aggressive' in pursuit of Mariners' Cano
    6h ago
    Stephen Brashear / Getty Images Sport / Getty
    SEATTLE WA - AUGUST 22 Robinson Cano 22 of the Seattle Mariners jogs off the field during a game against the Houston Astros at Safeco Field on August 22 2018 in Seattle Washington The Astros won the game 10-7

    Robinson Cano's potential return to New York may not come with the Yankees.

    The Mets are being "aggressive" in their pursuit of the Seattle Mariners second baseman and are hoping the Mariners sweeten their trade offer, a rival executive told Andy Martino of SNY.

    Parameters of a deal between the two sides would have Cano going to the Mets, with the Mariners paying approximately $10 million of his salary annually over the next five years, sources told Martino.

    New York is also trying to get Seattle to take on a player like Jay Bruce, while also obtaining either Edwin Diaz or Mitch Haniger, Martino adds.

    Seattle's been trying to trade Cano for a week, and reportedly contacted both the Mets and Yankees about a deal involving the eight-time All-Star.

    Jeff McNeil had a strong finish to 2018 as the Mets' starting second baseman, but Cano's veteran presence and career track record could be desirable if the organization wants to win now. Martino explains Cano would play second for the Mets with McNeil moving to third.

    The 36-year-old Cano is owed $120 million over the next five seasons and only appeared in 80 games last year after violating the league's drug policy, hitting .303/.374/.471 with 10 home runs and 50 RBIs.

    Over the course of his 14-year career, Cano's been one of the league's most durable players, averaging 148 games per season. He also owns a career slash line of .304/.355/.493 with 311 home runs and 1,233 RBIs.

    Meanwhile, a Yankees swap involving Jacoby Ellsbury failed to pick up steam, but they haven't ruled out revisiting the subject, according to Martino.

  • cutz said:
    The way the Mets operate i would think the Mariners would have to eat a lot of Money?


    Report: Mets 'aggressive' in pursuit of Mariners' Cano
    6h ago
    Stephen Brashear / Getty Images Sport / Getty
    SEATTLE WA - AUGUST 22 Robinson Cano 22 of the Seattle Mariners jogs off the field during a game against the Houston Astros at Safeco Field on August 22 2018 in Seattle Washington The Astros won the game 10-7

    Robinson Cano's potential return to New York may not come with the Yankees.

    The Mets are being "aggressive" in their pursuit of the Seattle Mariners second baseman and are hoping the Mariners sweeten their trade offer, a rival executive told Andy Martino of SNY.

    Parameters of a deal between the two sides would have Cano going to the Mets, with the Mariners paying approximately $10 million of his salary annually over the next five years, sources told Martino.

    New York is also trying to get Seattle to take on a player like Jay Bruce, while also obtaining either Edwin Diaz or Mitch Haniger, Martino adds.

    Seattle's been trying to trade Cano for a week, and reportedly contacted both the Mets and Yankees about a deal involving the eight-time All-Star.

    Jeff McNeil had a strong finish to 2018 as the Mets' starting second baseman, but Cano's veteran presence and career track record could be desirable if the organization wants to win now. Martino explains Cano would play second for the Mets with McNeil moving to third.

    The 36-year-old Cano is owed $120 million over the next five seasons and only appeared in 80 games last year after violating the league's drug policy, hitting .303/.374/.471 with 10 home runs and 50 RBIs.

    Over the course of his 14-year career, Cano's been one of the league's most durable players, averaging 148 games per season. He also owns a career slash line of .304/.355/.493 with 311 home runs and 1,233 RBIs.

    Meanwhile, a Yankees swap involving Jacoby Ellsbury failed to pick up steam, but they haven't ruled out revisiting the subject, according to Martino.

    It would be befitting that Cano goes to the Mets where he would get popped again for the drug violation or get hurt for the rest of his career.

    That team needs to have an exorcism, seriously.

    They are cursed...

    Are they done paying off Bonillas contract yet?
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 24,852
    some of you guys are really good at copy and paste.
    If I had known then what I know now...

    Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there.Posts: 33,229
    Wobbie said:
    some of you guys are really good at copy and paste.
    Do you find copying and pasting difficult in your old age?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • cutzcutz Posts: 7,864
    Unless the Mariners get a offer they can't refuse why would they trade Diaz?(Besides being able to dump Cano contract in a deal) Don't think i'd trade a good young arm that is under control for a few more years.





    https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1665068

    Report: Red Sox, Yankees among teams most interested in Mariners' Diaz
    5h ago
    Stephen Brashear / Getty Images Sport / Getty
    SEATTLE WA - SEPTEMBER 5 Relief pitcher Edwin Diaz 39 of the Seattle Mariners celebrates after a game against the Baltimore Orioles at Safeco Field on September 5 2018 in Seattle Washington The Mariners won the game 5-3

    Seattle Mariners closer Edwin Diaz is a hot commodity on the trade market.

    Diaz is being pursued by multiple teams, with the Boston Red SoxAtlanta BravesPhiladelphia PhilliesNew York Mets, and New York Yankees reportedly expressing the most interest, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post.

    While Mariners general manager Jerry Dipoto previously stated that Diaz is one of the players he'd "have to be blown away" to trade, a rival executive who has talked with Seattle told Sherman that may not be entirely true. The executive said the Mariners are exploring attaching Diaz to a deal involving high-priced second baseman Robinson Cano, who they're apparently working hard to move.

    However, Sherman reports that not all of the teams interested in Diaz were open to taking Cano - who's owed around $120 million over the next five seasons - as part of the deal. The possibility of Diaz being part of a Cano trade may ultimately depend on how much of the second baseman's contract other teams are willing to take on, Sherman reports.

    Extent of #Mariners’ willingness to move Diaz a big question. GM Jerry Dipoto said he would need to be “blown away,” but some execs believe M’s open to trading Diaz alone for maximum return, or packaging him with Cano for major salary relief and prospects, as @JoelSherman1 said.

    88 people are talking about this

    Cano, who has a full no-trade clause, has been connected to both New York teams in the past week. The Mets have apparently been "aggressive" in their pursuit of the 36-year-old, and are said to be engineering a swap involving Cano and a controllable player such as Diaz or outfielder Mitch Haniger, with Jay Bruce possibly heading to Seattle as part of the return.

    New York would prefer not to trade prospect capital for Cano unless the Mariners ate a large portion of his contract and included Diaz or another young, controllable player, Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reported Wednesday.

    Atlanta and Philadelphia have both previously been connected to Diaz this winter, as both NL East teams are looking for bullpen upgrades. The Red Sox, meanwhile, could see Diaz as a long-term replacement for free-agent closer Craig Kimbrel, while the Yankees would simply add to what's already an embarrassment of riches in a deep and powerful bullpen.

    The 24-year-old Diaz was named American League Reliever of the Year after racking up 57 saves while posting a 1.96 ERA and striking out 124 (15.2 Ks per 9 innings) in 2018.

    Diaz has another four years of team control remaining, and won't enter arbitration until next winter.

  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer MarylandPosts: 13,636
    Wobbie said:
    some of you guys are really good at copy and paste.
    Do you find copying and pasting difficult in your old age?
    He has to get up early and fire up the printing press, make the plates, etc.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 9,377
    Wobbie said:
    some of you guys are really good at copy and paste.
    Do you find copying and pasting difficult in your old age?
    He has to get up early and fire up the printing press, make the plates, etc.
    And he tends to eat the paste.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Poncier said:
    Wobbie said:
    some of you guys are really good at copy and paste.
    Do you find copying and pasting difficult in your old age?
    He has to get up early and fire up the printing press, make the plates, etc.
    And he tends to eat the paste.
    HAHAHAHHA!!!! Winner winner!!!!
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 9,720
    uhhh...


  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 24,852
    Wobbie said:
    some of you guys are really good at copy and paste.
    Do you find copying and pasting difficult in your old age?

    I find it redundant, as I see all these other rumors on other sites. you got something, juggler? let’s hear it. rosenthal/heyman/olney/etc. has something? I don’t need your copy and paste.
    If I had known then what I know now...

    Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commetsPosts: 15,441
    Huh?
    Thanks
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 24,852
    MayDay10 said:
    uhhh...



    it sucks and the A’s/taxpayers have no money, anyway.
    If I had known then what I know now...

    Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commetsPosts: 15,441
    Copy and Glue
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
Sign In or Register to comment.