MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Ummm, Machado to the Dodgers?

Where will Saeger play?  It's not like he is a scrub or anything.  Dude can play.
    He’s out for the year
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    Ummm, Machado to the Dodgers?

Where will Saeger play?  It's not like he is a scrub or anything.  Dude can play.
    Here was a thought about Seager from an LA reporter.
    By next spring the Dodgers will already have a better-fielding shortstop, the recuperating Corey Seager, and so they would need to convince Machado to move to his other position of third base, then move Justin Turner to first base and put Cody Bellinger in the outfield.
    Or they just got manny for this year’s run and will let him walk
    He won't be enough to get them over the hump.
    What is the hump?  They are in first place in their division in a weak NL and just got a top 10 player in the game.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I also figured they were just renting him.  I think Philly is going to overpay like a beast for Manny next season. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    I also figured they were just renting him.  I think Philly is going to overpay like a beast for Manny next season. 
    Agreed, especially after missing out on him here.
    What is the hump?  They are in first place in their division in a weak NL and just got a top 10 player in the game.
    I know you follow baseball so let me know your take on mine  Every year the first round of the playoffs is "the hump" for the Dodgers with only last year them finally improving beyond that and making it to the World Series.  Their stud SS in Seager isn't playing, Kershaw isn't doing well or is hurt and they need bullpen help. So when they limp into the playoffs in their week division the other team they face lights them up.

If they get some more help then Machado is a great rental or perhaps a permanent part if they go deeper in the playoffs.

Thoughts?

I know you follow baseball so let me know your take on mine  Every year the first round of the playoffs is "the hump" for the Dodgers with only last year them finally improving beyond that and making it to the World Series.  Their stud SS in Seager isn't playing, Kershaw isn't doing well or is hurt and they need bullpen help. So when they limp into the playoffs in their week division the other team they face lights them up.

If they get some more help then Machado is a great rental or perhaps a permanent part if they go deeper in the playoffs.

Thoughts?

I don't disagree that the Dodgers have disappointed a lot, especially with teams with high expectations.  That said, the NL is soft this year, no?  Is there any team that stands out?  Cubs and the Dodgers seem like they should be the best two teams and if you're in that type of position, I think you make this move to get you back to the world series.  Who is going to beat them in the first round? I mean they could lose, but no one stands out to me and there is still almost 2 full weeks until the deadline. I am sure they'll make more moves, especially now that they got Machado, assuming they got Machado.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Well I got that wrong, lol!!!
    Don't feel bad. I don't care for Buck either. 
    Oh I'm totally right about Buck, I was wrong about Judge, lol.
    Lol. Completely missed the post about Judge.

Thoughts?

I don't disagree that the Dodgers have disappointed a lot, especially with teams with high expectations.  That said, the NL is soft this year, no?  Is there any team that stands out?  Cubs and the Dodgers seem like they should be the best two teams and if you're in that type of position, I think you make this move to get you back to the world series.  Who is going to beat them in the first round? I mean they could lose, but no one stands out to me and there is still almost 2 full weeks until the deadline. I am sure they'll make more moves, especially now that they got Machado, assuming they got Machado.
    Philly, Atlanta, AZ, Colorado, Milwaukee?

The Dodgers are barely in first place so let's see what happens as u said there is plenty of time left.

I do think that Atlanta is the most dangerous team out there right now.  They have amazing young players in Albies and Acuna and Freeman is doing great things this year.  If they get heated up and knock Philly out then it will be fun!

Thoughts?

The Dodgers are barely in first place so let's see what happens as u said there is plenty of time left.

I do think that Atlanta is the most dangerous team out there right now.  They have amazing young players in Albies and Acuna and Freeman is doing great things this year.  If they get heated up and knock Philly out then it will be fun!
    They are all fine, I guess. I do like Atlanta a lot too, but maybe a year away? 

Dodgers started really slow and have been much better of late.  Best team of that bunch pretty clearly, I'd think, no?
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692

Thoughts?

Dodgers started really slow and have been much better of late.  Best team of that bunch pretty clearly, I'd think, no?
    Best team of that bunch just might be Philly I think. And that's only because the Cubs were omitted from that list. I could be wrong, but I don't recall anyone really thinking they would be the cat's meow this season. Now they've gotten hot and surpassed the Braves. Albeit by a measly 1/2 game. There's something to be said for those teams that suddenly come from nowhere and start competing with anybody. Confidence builds and then they get better. I'm thinking of a team like the 03 Marlins. You just never know...until you do.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    edited July 2018

Thoughts?

Best team of that bunch just might be Philly I think. And that's only because the Cubs were omitted from that list. I could be wrong, but I don't recall anyone really thinking they would be the cat's meow this season. Now they've gotten hot and surpassed the Braves. Albeit by a measly 1/2 game. There's something to be said for those teams that suddenly come from nowhere and start competing with anybody. Confidence builds and then they get better. I'm thinking of a team like the 03 Marlins. You just never know...until you do.
    I'm not a big fan of this Philly team. Some potential, but I am sticking that they are a good year out.  Bullpen is rough, lineup can disappear, starters can be good.
    THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS

https://www.wsj.com/articles/major-league-baseball-is-moving-closer-to-a-universal-designated-hitter-1531914518

BUUUUT BUUUUUUT Double Shifts....beat it.

Thoughts?

I didn't include the Cubs because they are frauds, lol.  No I just forgot to include them for whatever reason.  Freudian?

I'm still liking what the Brewers are cooking up and still the Braves.

I'm not sold on the Dodgers yet.  
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103

Thoughts?

I'd definitely like to see the Braves make some moves to shore up the bullpen and maybe another rotation arm. I just hope they don't have to give up their best prospects to do so. Except maybe Lucas Sims. I'm not convinced he will develop into a major league starter. Seems to be one of those AAAA players.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710

Thoughts?

I'm not a big fan of this Philly team. Some potential, but I am sticking that they are a good year out.  Bullpen is rough, lineup can disappear, starters can be good.
    plus our defense isn't that great
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171

Thoughts?

Phils lineup needs more pop for sure.   Starters have been great so far this year.  Bullpen needs probably two more good arms but hopefully Neshak who just came off the DL can be one of them.  Phils will definitely be making some moves to improve.

oh and fuck the DH. one of the dumbest rules in sports.
    pjhawks said:

Thoughts?

Phils lineup needs more pop for sure.   Starters have been great so far this year.  Bullpen needs probably two more good arms but hopefully Neshak who just came off the DL can be one of them.  Phils will definitely be making some moves to improve.

Moniak is still a few years away from being brought up.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    pjhawks said:

Thoughts?

Welcome to the
    !!!!!
    It's an incorrect opinion, as highlighted by the very well written article
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    don't subscribe to WSJ so didn't get to read it.  Let me guess the gist is that more offense is good?

I don't see how baseball can be worried about pace of play but then think the DH is a good idea.   hell with the way these guys approach hitting in today's game the only 2 differences between a DH and pitcher batting is the DH will hit more home runs but the pitcher will bunt more.  they both strikeout a bunch :smiley:
    pjhawks said:
    don't subscribe to WSJ so didn't get to read it.  Let me guess the gist is that more offense is good?

I don't see how baseball can be worried about pace of play but then think the DH is a good idea.   hell with the way these guys approach hitting in today's game the only 2 differences between a DH and pitcher batting is the DH will hit more home runs but the pitcher will bunt more.  they both strikeout a bunch :smiley:
    Basically just highlights how horrible pitchers are at batting (like really really bad) and some of the issues with injuries.  Relievers spend more time on the DL in the NL and a lot of them attribute it to them having to get up and down more often warming up.  A good point I never heard before.  Oh, your boy Connie Mack proposed the DH in like 1906 or something like that.  I can't get to the article anymore either.

Sounds like most players want it, but NL owners don't from Manfred's comments.

Just really highlights how stupid of a thing it is.  There are literally 2 leagues in the world who have pitchers bat at this point and it is incredibly pointless.
    pjhawks said:

Basically just highlights how horrible pitchers are at batting (like really really bad) and some of the issues with injuries.  Relievers spend more time on the DL in the NL and a lot of them attribute it to them having to get up and down more often warming up.  A good point I never heard before.  Oh, your boy Connie Mack proposed the DH in like 1906 or something like that.  I can't get to the article anymore either.

Sounds like most players want it, but NL owners don't from Manfred's comments.

Just really highlights how stupid of a thing it is.  There are literally 2 leagues in the world who have pitchers bat at this point and it is incredibly pointless.
    The late, great Cornelius McGillicuddy.
    How insane are the AL Playoffs going to be?  Could be one of the best ever?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    They usually come out of the break with free 'Extra Innings' baseball package on cable for the weekend.  Hoping that carries this weekend.
    Stopped paying for it years ago but love being able to watch all of the games.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I don't know about Extra Innings, but MLB.tv is free this weekend.
    Extra Innings is on.

Statistical Anomaly:
    My Reds have the most Walks in MLB

My Reds also see the fewest pitches per batter in MLB

That should not be possible for those two stats to be true.
    But they are.

They still can't pitch.