MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    My Reds have made such amazing moves this offseason! 
    Oh yeah -- not really.  Will suck again next year.
    Grumble.
    Wasting the amazing talent that is Joey Votto with no fucking pitching.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • My Reds have made such amazing moves this offseason! 
    Grumble.
    I'm an Angels and Yankees fan so the Angels made a move for Ohtani but that's not going to bare any fruit for a while...
    Yanks, well, they are the Yankees.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Grumble.
    I'm an Angels and Yankees fan so the Angels made a move for Ohtani but that's not going to bare any fruit for a while...
    Angels & NYY fan? How does that happen?

Longoria gone. Is Archer next?
  • cutz said:
    Grumble.

Reggie Jackson was my favorite player on the Yankees.  He left to go west to the Angels so I was torn.

I root for both teams.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    cutz said:
    Grumble.

Reggie Jackson was my favorite player on the Yankees.  He left to go west to the Angels so I was torn.

I root for both teams.

fraudulent. :nuh_uh:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    LOL mets.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    Johan Santana and other obvious ones won't get the necessary 5% to stay on the ballot next year. Weird that Ozzie Smith was a first ballot. But Omar Visquel who's basically similar with a little more power may never get in.
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88 said:
    Johan Santana and other obvious ones won't get the necessary 5% to stay on the ballot next year. Weird that Ozzie Smith was a first ballot. But Omar Visquel who's basically similar with a little more power may never get in.
    He should get in solely on his defense.  He should get in for that alone.
  • Wobbie said:
    cutz said:
    Grumble.

I root for both teams.

fraudulent. :nuh_uh:
    You are a curmudgeon and don't seem to be liking much of anything these days so I am sending you a hug for Christmas!!!

I am a baseball fan in general and will root for Bryce Harper and Kershaw the same day in the same game...
    edited January 2018
    Chipper Jones, Vladimir Guerrero, Jim Thome, and Trevor Hoffman are being inducted into the Hall Of Fame
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88 said:
    Chipper Jones, Vladimir Guerrero, Jim Thome are being inducted into the Hall Of Fame

and Trevor Hoffman
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    igotid88 said:
    Chipper Jones, Vladimir Guerrero, Jim Thome are being inducted into the Hall Of Fame

and Trevor Hoffman
    yea i was updating as i was hearing it
    I miss igotid88
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    I started a different thread so it doesn't get lost in here.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • igotid88 said:
    They stopped wearing the hat with Wahoo on it earlier the season I think?
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    But still gonna call themselves "Indians" so why not wear the fucking patch?

All this shit with being upset/offended about sports names & logos is fucking ridiculous.
  • But still gonna call themselves "Indians" so why not wear the fucking patch?

All this shit with being upset/offended about sports names & logos is fucking ridiculous.
    I would have no problem with having a team being called the Harrisburg Honkies...
    But still gonna call themselves "Indians" so why not wear the fucking patch?

I would have no problem with having a team being called the Harrisburg Honkies...
    Well, I mean, obviously if a team is called something that's blatantly a racial slur, but people that get bent out of shape over things like Indians, Braves, Blackhawks, Orangemen (not even racial), Fighting Sioux, Seminoles (the last two which are fully endorsed by the tribes themselves), etc.  That's just ridiculous.  And the logos?  Find me one sports team whose logo isn't a caricature of some person, animal, or landmark.  Don't see anyone offended by the Patriots or Padres characters.

Yet somehow "Redskins" is sacred territory, it seems.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    orangemen refers to whom? I know syracuse but I’m asking origin.

redskins IS offensive.

my utah utes have the endorsement of the ute tribe. 

bottom line, though, is that maybe us WASPs shouldn’t assume what is ir is not offensive to people of other ethnicities.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Wobbie said:

redskins IS offensive.

bottom line, though, is that maybe us WASPs shouldn’t assume what is ir is not offensive to people of other ethnicities.
    There is a lot of white guilt wrapped up in this one.

More white people find this offensive now than the native Americans.  Listen to a talk show and who finds it offensive on the show?  It's not someone a Native American!

But if you really look into it the caricature is resembling a white man dressed up in red makeup to look like a NA and that is not ok.
    Wobbie said:

redskins IS offensive.

More white people find this offensive now than the native Americans.  Listen to a talk show and who finds it offensive on the show?  It's not someone a Native American!

But if you really look into it the caricature is resembling a white man dressed up in red makeup to look like a NA and that is not ok.
    You listen to a lot of Native American talk shows?
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Well, “Indians” is pretty racist when referring to a Native American.
  • Wobbie said:

redskins IS offensive.

I listen to talk shows in general and they have Caucasian, African american, Asian, Mexican, South American, Jamaican people on there just to name a few.  Not so many Native Americans.

C'mon man, that was a troll question.
    Wobbie said:

redskins IS offensive.

The Orangemen originally refer to the supporters of King William III ("William of Orange"), who led his Protestant supporters in several wars against Catholic King Louis XIV of France in the 17th century, eventually coming to terms of peace. He also led the Glorious Revolution, overthrowing King James II and establishing the Bill of Rights (1689, still in effect).  However:

There is currently a fraternal organization in Northern Ireland called the Orange Order (who refer to themselves as Orangemen), who - much like Trump supporters and extreme right wing republicans in the US - claim to defend civil and religious liberties, but are often criticized as being supremacist.

So, to distance themselves from that group, Syracuse changed their name, depsite originally being named after King William.
    Wobbie said:

redskins IS offensive.

I listen to talk shows in general and they have Caucasian, African american, Asian, Mexican, South American, Jamaican people on there just to name a few.  Not so many Native Americans.

It kinda was, but at the same time you're saying Native Americans  don't find it offensive because on talk shows Native Americans don't express their outrage.  Not exactly a statistically significant sample size...
  • Wobbie said:

redskins IS offensive.

The Orangemen originally refer to the supporters of King William III ("William of Orange"), who led his Protestant supporters in several wars against Catholic King Louis XIV of France in the 17th century, eventually coming to terms of peace. He also led the Glorious Revolution, overthrowing King James II and establishing the Bill of Rights (1689, still in effect).  However:

There is currently a fraternal organization in Northern Ireland called the Orange Order (who refer to themselves as Orangemen), who - much like Trump supporters and extreme right wing republicans in the US - claim to defend civil and religious liberties, but are often criticized as being supremacist.

So, to distance themselves from that group, Syracuse changed their name, depsite originally being named after King William.

Saltine Warrior[edit]

The Syracuse mascot was originally a Native American character named "The Saltine Warrior" (Syracuse's unofficial nickname is the Salt City) and "Big Chief Bill Orange".[1] The character was born out of a hoax in which it was claimed that a 16th-century OnondoganIndian chief was unearthed while digging the foundation for the women's gymnasium in 1928.

In the mid-1950s, the father of a Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity brother owned a cheerleading camp. He made a Saltine Warrior costume for his son to wear at SU football games. Thus began a nearly forty-year tradition of Lambda Chi brothers serving as SU's mascot. In 1990 however the University opened up the mascot traditions to the entire student body (Daily Orange, February 22, 1990).

In 1978, Native American students successfully petitioned the University to discontinue the Saltine Warrior, citing the mascot's stereotypical portrayal of Native Americans. During the 1978 season, the University introduced a Roman gladiator dressed in orange armor, but the idea proved largely unpopular among fans, who regularly booed the mascot.

• Wobbie said:

redskins IS offensive.

It kinda was, but at the same time you're saying Native Americans  don't find it offensive because on talk shows Native Americans don't express their outrage.  Not exactly a statistically significant sample size...
    I was going for the angle of "look who IS offended" on these shows.  But you have a valid point.

Curious as I do a lot of sports news and what not but haven't heard a panel or open discussion with an actual Native American.

I can see why it is looked at as offensive and more interesting is the owner of the Chiefs view of his team and logo.