Options

New RS article about Mike on Fringe/tour

offhegoes32offhegoes32 Posts: 407
edited May 2010 in The Porch
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/;kw=[8662,144422]

Sounds pretty cool, this show has gotten really good this season and adding Cready can only make it better!
There are a couple interesting quotes from Mike about the tour here too.
No time to be void or save up on life, you gotta spend it all.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/;kw=[8662,144422]

Sounds pretty cool, this show has gotten really good this season and adding Cready can only make it better!
    There are a couple interesting quotes from Mike about the tour here too.

Try again...
  • Options
    offhegoes32offhegoes32 Posts: 407
    Oops, what did i do wrong there? Just click URL then paste the page right? Thanks for the help, computer brain freeze today. I will just paste the article below:

On RollingStone.com:
    A few months ago, producers of the Fox science fiction show Fringe contacted Pearl Jam about using their song "Just Breathe." After some back and forth they wound up with something even better: guitarist Mike McCready offered to compose the score for the entire episode. "I wasn't a huge fan of the show at first — but now I totally am," says McCready. "I like X-Files-type shows with government conspiracies and extra terrestrials and all that." The episode, titled "Northwest Passage," airs tomorrow.

McCready recently wrote the score for the surfing documentary Westsiders, and nearly a decade ago he contributed some music to Cameron Crowe's Almost Famous, but this is his first foray into television. "It's a completely different kind of songwriting than what I'm used to," he says. "Chris Chilton, who writes the music, gave me some ideas and I transcribed them on guitar. They told me they wanted some sort of Northwest, dark-type feelings. It's a very dark show, so I played a darker kind of guitar tone and even stuff that doesn't sound like guitar, and a little bit of piano." Trent Reznor previously teamed with the Fringe crew for a promo spot that aired last October.

The guitarist hopes to devote more of his time in the future to writing scores for movies and TV. "I like to have a lot of different creative outlets," McCready says. "It means working with a lot of people — directors, editors, musical supervisors and you have to appease all of them. I'm totally up for it."

In the meantime, he's keeping his day job in Pearl Jam, who just launched an American tour at the New Orleans Jazz Festival. "Our first show in New Orleans was a little shaky," he says. "We could have probably rehearsed a little more. The crowd seemed to love it though. I'm probably overanalyzing it. The second show in Kansas City was fantastic. Jeff Ament and I have been wanting to come back to the Midwest for a while because we've been neglecting it."

McCready says the band functions best when they do short tours spread throughout the year, rather than long slogs. "We're getting older and we've had some success so hopefully we can kind of call our shots more so than we have before," he says. "We've done those long and draining tours, but we probably never will again. We want to have a life outside of Pearl Jam, too."
    No time to be void or save up on life, you gotta spend it all.
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Jeff said basically the same thing in that Cleveland article. 15 or so shows, a month off, 15 or so shows, a couple of months off, recording, time off, some shows, time off, recording, etc.

Going to be the mode going forward. I think we all suspected that, but now it is straight out of two of the horse's mouths.

Whatever keeps them happy and going.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,796
    I LOVE the last line of the interview.....

"We want to have a life outside of Pearl Jam too"

I know a few people who need to read that line, take a deep breath, and then go take a good look in the mirror......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,781

I know a few people who need to read that line, take a deep breath, and then go take a good look in the mirror......
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: But but but Pearl Jam Radio!!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

what! there is no life outside of PJ! they must play til they die!
  • Options
    cippociappocippociappo Posts: 692
    "We've done those long and draining tours, but we probably never will again. We want to have a life outside of Pearl Jam, too."

I think it's totally their right to do so :)
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    translation: we will never play the south again
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,838
    MrSmith wrote:

what! there is no life outside of PJ! they must play til they die!

whoa.jpg

There's a life outside of the Pearl Jam? I'm gonna kick Morpheus's ass! :x Here I thought when I took that red pill that Pearl Jam would show me how deep the rabbit hole goes.