Options

This has to be said..

JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
edited March 2010 in The Porch
..GET RIGHT is a fuckin' great song!
Two great solos from Mike, good rhythm guitar work, and probably one of the best bass parts from Jeff..
Too much hate on this song.. And Cropduster, You Are, All or None, Can't Keep, these are maybe amongst the 10-15 greatest PJ works
And not to mention the rest of the album, like Bushleaguer, spectacular tune
Sorry for this thread, but today I was listening to this LP and since I never officially said here.. F**K You, RIOT ACT haters! (with love, of course) 8-)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Agree 100%
  • Options
    FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    2003 was a fantastic year for shows built on the strength of songs like Get Right played live. Most shows nowadays are light on Riot Act tunes.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    2003 was a fantastic year for shows built on the strength of songs like Get Right played live. Most shows nowadays are light on Riot Act tunes.

you should of went to Philly! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

and

Get Right is the only song i don't like on Riot Act....superb album!
  • Options
    StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    i agree...i was thinking of starting a "Get Right is awesome" thread after seeing much hating on it around here...very good song

heres what i wonder...do people hate songs like this BECAUSE they are by Pearl Jam?

people hear a song like this and think "its not as good as Even Flow, Alive, Animal, RVM, Yellow Ledbetter, etc"...it seems shitty compared to their vast array of amazing songs

but, if some one hit wonder band came out with this very song, would those same people like it? cuz its all they know of that band, and it has nothing to compete against?

i heard REM ask these kinds of questions about one of their later albums that got no love, and i thought it was a very interesting question indeed

or Larry David saying its hard to write for Curb You Enthusisasm after 5 or 6 seasons, cuz now he is "competing with himself"...in other words, the new episodes have to live up to fan's expectations after enjoying the old episodes
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Options
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    i agree...i was thinking of starting a "Get Right is awesome" thread after seeing much hating on it around here...very good song

heres what i wonder...do people hate songs like this BECAUSE they are by Pearl Jam?

Matt's songs are creative and quirky - a lot of fans seem repulsed by that - they'd rather hold a lighter up in the air to "I Am Mine".
  • Options
    orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    awful, awful song.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    IMO, You Are is the best song on Riot Act. It is a very underrated album. I also wish that instead of Corduroy as the second song in most setlists, they need to substitute Save You in it's place.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    robcascie wrote:
    ..GET RIGHT is a fuckin' great song!
    Two great solos from Mike, good rhythm guitar work, and probably one of the best bass parts from Jeff..
    Too much hate on this song.. And Cropduster, You Are, All or None, Can't Keep, these are maybe amongst the 10-15 greatest PJ works
    And not to mention the rest of the album, like Bushleaguer, spectacular tune
    Sorry for this thread, but today I was listening to this LP and since I never officially said here.. F**K You, RIOT ACT haters! (with love, of course) 8-)

yeah I've always been a fan of this song. I don't think it's great or even really good...but I like it a lot.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    youngster wrote:
    IMO, You Are is the best song on Riot Act. It is a very underrated album. I also wish that instead of Corduroy as the second song in most setlists, they need to substitute Save You in it's place.

GHOST all the way.
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    youngster wrote:

the whole album is the shit! ghost, cropduster, can't keep, save you, 1/2 full, LBC, all or none, thumbing my way.........etc.

i love them all......Riot Act rocks!!!!!!!!!!!

and i saw Save you for the first time live in Philly....it was awesome!! Stone kills that riff!! 8-)8-)
  • Options
    PredakingPredaking Posts: 267
    I like it so much, I bought the shirt. I just wish I could find a copy of the LP for less than $50. Probably won't happen...
  • Options
    pearljammerpearljammer Posts: 237
    I gave Riot Act a full spin last night. It had been a while. Lots of memories in those songs.
    EvenFLOW PsYcHo #29

~ is your Pearl Jam cup half empty, or 1/2 Full?
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    Riot Act was my most shows in a tour year, 2003 was an amazing spring/summer!

Over the years, I don't always listen to Riot Act start to finish much, but I really do still like it.

GHOST is such a killer song, I don't know why it is so underrated. The drum sound on the album is incredible, and what great riffs. Green Disease? Come on, man.... classic!! Lots of great songs. Even my least favorite for a long time, Help Help, I think it's OK now, especially the live versions. Get Right, not an instant likeable song for most people, but a cool groove, a good song.

Riot Act is so much better 7 years later than Backspacer ever will be (there I said it). To me, Backspacer=maybe 3 good songs. Riot Act=at least 5 great ones.

Riot Act is a stranger album, kind of a weird sequence of songs or something... little murky sounding, slower.... I'd rather hear Ed's warm yet mumbly vocals on Riot Act than his tired, smoke-killed vocals of "The End" or any other BS song.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,890
    youngster wrote:

I wouldn't mind sets with both Corduroy and Save You both in them. I've seen Corduroy early in sets at all but one of the shows that I've been to and that's where the show just lifts off for me. Enjoy it every time. Interstellar>Corduroy to open LA2 this past year just got that show going for me.

Would love to see Get Right and more Riot Act stuff make more frequent setlist appearances.
  • Options
    MahaloevMahaloev Posts: 305
    youngster wrote:

Bravo!!!!! :thumbup: Two of the most incredible Pearl Jam song's ever written. Riot Act is in a league of it's own.
    The Stars, the Snow, the Fire
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    edited March 2010
    Yeah I like the BASS on "Get Right"...
    Post edited by i_lov_it on
  • Options

When I saw them on the *AVO* Tour in 2006...there Previous Record was "Riot Act" and YET not a ***SINGLE*** "Riot Act" song...thought that was weird!...Having said that Great Setlist on the Night though!...lol :P
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    Riot Act is BRILLIANT, but only in the fall...
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    Agree 100%

Matt C is a badass mofo!

Now about the lyrics:
    Those of you PJ nerds, save it because I know what the common belief about these lyrics' meaning is. But, the following piece of lyrics gotta be one of the sexiest lines ever written:

"the moment between us, the fire is made now, hot to the touch"
    And no I'm not talking about smoking anything.
    :twisted:
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,987
    I'd rather hear Ed's warm yet mumbly vocals on Riot Act than his tired, smoke-killed vocals of "The End" or any other BS song.

Yes! Riot Act will be long lasting, it might rub some people the wrong way but it´s a quality album. The thoughtfulness and wamth on Eddies voice is spot on in 90% of the songs, there are some tunes that could have used a tad more energy (1/2 full for example)

And HELP HELP is Pearl Jams most underrated song. A gem that really, really should be played live! More energy in the chorus on the studio version (instead of Eddie sounding likes he's given up all hope of help he should use more anger like... someone really should help him...)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    More energy in the chorus on the studio version (instead of Eddie sounding likes he's given up all hope of help he should use more anger like... someone really should help him...)

That's spot on right there!
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    I'd rather hear Ed's warm yet mumbly vocals on Riot Act than his tired, smoke-killed vocals of "The End" or any other BS song.

Yeah I ***AGREE***...although BS is a good album! ED's "Vocals" on RIOT ACT are better... IMO :)
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Never understood why so many here hate this song, one of my favourites off Riot Act.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014