Options

Pearl Jam not "international enough" to play Superbowl? HUH?

pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
edited January 2010 in The Porch
was just watching Jim Rome and a guest on there talking about the Who playing said the superbowl and the NFL are gonna start going with big name bands and one of the other guys mentioned would the NFL get the same reaction if someone like PJ played as they would with the Who? and the other guy commented with they are known in the US but not internationally???? that has to be one of the most absurd things i have ever heard and funny at the same time...oh well thought i would share
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    The guy was Randy Sklar.

He's a comedian, on a sports show, talking about music.

Seriously, no reason to get riled up.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    bosdiegobosdiego Boston Posts: 11
    haha. i literally was just going to post the same thing....ridiculous statement. Don't get me wrong, we all love The Who, but in terms of 2010 international relevance??? for a super bowl audience??? it's not even an argument really.
    Dodge Music Center - Sep 13, 1998 * Tweeter Center - Jul 03, 2003 * Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003 * Fleet Center - Sep 28, 2004 * Fleet Center - Sep 29, 2004 * Cox Arena - Jul 07, 2006 * The Forum - Jul 09, 2006 * Eddie Solo - Spreckels Theater - April 15, 2008 * Gibson Amphitheater - Sep 30, 2009 * Gibson Amphitheater - Oct 01, 2009 * Gibson Amphitheater - Oct 06, 2009 * Gibson Amphitheater - Oct 07, 2009 * Viejas Arena - Oct 09, 2009 * Mt Smart Stadium - Nov 27, 2009 * AMI Stadium - Nov 29, 2009 * XL Center - May 15, 2010 * TD Banknorth Garden - May 17, 2010 * Madison Square Garden - May 20, 2010 * Madison Square Garden - May 21, 2010
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    jimed14 wrote:
    The guy was Randy Sklar.

He's a comedian, on a sports show, talking about music.

Seriously, no reason to get riled up.

oh im not riled just baffled at the ignorance of a statement thats all...comedian or not...i thought the comment was unintentionally funny
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    I've been reading in Rolling Stone that the record industry is counting on older acts to make money because more and more newer acts are staying independent and not signing with labels. Maybe the music industry lobbyists are paying the NFL to book older bands to play the SB so the record industry can make more money on compilations and greatest hits from these artists.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    I'm not a big sports guy, but how international is the NFL?
    "I wanna rock and roll all night and PART OF every day"
  • Options
    musicman wrote:

Don't think it's really watched out side the US. Very little coverage in the UK although due to a couple of games being played in London the profile has raised a notch.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    I hope PJ never gets international enough to play the SB fuck that ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    musicman wrote:

They play the odd game on digital tv here in Australia, but I wouldn't say it has a following. We've already got 4 codes of football over here proffessionally, I don't think there's much of a demand for a 5th
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    musicman wrote:

Don't think it's really watched out side the US. Very little coverage in the UK although due to a couple of games being played in London the profile has raised a notch.

The NFL is not very international perhaps, but the superbowl is. I think internationally everyone watches it but even in the US, all walks of people living in the US watch that game, even hot chicks! Also someone hit on it earlier that they tend to pick older acts.
  • Options
    I'd be surprised if the Superbowl gets a tenth of the worldwide viewership as any knockout round, World Cup match.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    I love Pearl Jam.
    I love the NFL.
    I hope Pearl Jam NEVER plays the Super Bowl halftime show.

The show is sold-out beyond belief... the Springsteen set was just depressing as hell, and I freaking love Bruce. Changing lyrics to make them about football? Having people dressed as refs on stage? Making lame football puns? That set had so much cheese my arteries started clogging just watching it.

Please, for the love of all that is good in this world, keep Pearl Jam away from the halftime show. I'll burn my PJ memorabilia if I have to hear "Even flow, thoughts arrive like blitzing linebackers" or "If someone's offside, I wanna throw a little flag at him."

As for the Super Bowl's popularity - for all the TV hype about how it's the most-watched sporting event in the world... it isn't. On average, it's something like the 5th or 6th most watched sporting event in the world - the World Cup and the Olympics absolutely dwarf it in actual viewership (even Rugby World Cup has more viewers, if I remember right). The last numbers I saw had the World Cup viewership something like 5x more than the Super Bowl's - so it's not even close (and the World Cup final is closer to 10x more).
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • Options
    cajunkiwi wrote:
    I love Pearl Jam.
    I love the NFL.
    I hope Pearl Jam NEVER plays the Super Bowl halftime show..

+1
    cajunkiwi wrote:
    Please, for the love of all that is good in this world, keep Pearl Jam away from the halftime show. I'll burn my PJ memorabilia if I have to hear "Even flow, thoughts arrive like blitzing linebackers" or "If someone's offside, I wanna throw a little flag at him.".

:lol: Good one! :lol:
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    cajunkiwi wrote:
    I love Pearl Jam.
    I love the NFL.

The show is sold-out beyond belief... the Springsteen set was just depressing as hell, and I freaking love Bruce. Changing lyrics to make them about football? Having people dressed as refs on stage? Making lame football puns? That set had so much cheese my arteries started clogging just watching it.

Please, for the love of all that is good in this world, keep Pearl Jam away from the halftime show. I'll burn my PJ memorabilia if I have to hear "Even flow, thoughts arrive like blitzing linebackers" or "If someone's offside, I wanna throw a little flag at him."

As for the Super Bowl's popularity - for all the TV hype about how it's the most-watched sporting event in the world... it isn't. On average, it's something like the 5th or 6th most watched sporting event in the world - the World Cup and the Olympics absolutely dwarf it in actual viewership (even Rugby World Cup has more viewers, if I remember right). The last numbers I saw had the World Cup viewership something like 5x more than the Super Bowl's - so it's not even close (and the World Cup final is closer to 10x more).

yeah and the songs are skrunk too, like 2-3 minutes if that, a whole verse gets dropped, no jams
    I hope they don't consider it now, or 10 years down the road
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    I loved Springsteen's set in all its cheesy glory! Just a bit of fun really.
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    hey if one year pj plays the SB and their payday from that is so big, that on their next tour it leds to cheap as hell tickets......i'd be all for it.

runs and ducks from flying tomatoes
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    cajunkiwi wrote:
    I love Pearl Jam.

wow i was going to rip into you for being way wrong..... but it turns out your right, not about the rugby world cup i dont think, its on par with the champions league for viewing numbers
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    rugby is way cooler than football anyways.
    there's a real sport!
    no protection pads, blood, the whole gamut of manly-ness.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    cajunkiwi wrote:

bruces's set was utter perfection and i love bruce waaay more than u!

i totallly hope one day the world gets to see pj play SB. the band deserves that respect.

imo
  • Options
    pantspants Posts: 60
    Pearl Jam's Superbowl Playlist:

Spin the Black Circle
    Lukin
    Blood
    Boom solo

More seriously, a few months ago I never would have thought they would play a superbowl, but after seeing these http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-team-yearbook now I am not so sure. I'm not saying these videos are bad (go Colts!) or that it would be bad if they played the superbowl, I think the band has just become more open to things like this lately.

And they are DEFINITELY international enough.
  • Options
    when it comes to the super bowl and internationality (if that's even a word)

i was listening to Mike Francessa (sp?) and he was stating how many press passes are given out during the Superbowl, and he mentioned how a lot of people from other countries watch the Superbowl to get a glimpse of that aspect of American culture...i don't know how right he is (i never know how right Mike is) but i thought it was interesting...

as far as PJ being international...come the fuck on...you foreigners practically starve to have them come play in your country...enough said
  • Options
    pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    edited February 2010
    Post edited by pickupyourwill on
  • Options
    I'd rather see Eric Clapton than The Who!
    04-22-92
    08-04-92
    03-28-94
    08-09-00
    08-27-00
    04-13-03
    06-12-08

"maybe it me or it maybe you"
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    bosdiego wrote:
    haha. i literally was just going to post the same thing....ridiculous statement. Don't get me wrong, we all love The Who, but in terms of 2010 international relevance??? for a super bowl audience??? it's not even an argument really.

You're right. It's the Who by a landslide, as far as being able to draw in a bigger audience, ANYWHERE in the world.
  • Options
    Pearl Jam's "image" to "football" society is too political--they don't want someone who might stir up controversary, and pearl jam have been rebellious in the past. The majority are conservatives who "go with the flow" and want something "family friendly". their Who comment might be more of a generational thing. again, the baby boomers didn't grow up with pearl jam and the seattle scene and can't relate to it as much.

Eh ... U2 once made grand political statements too, and yet, they turned the corner in their career and eventually played the superbowl (quite well, I might add). They actually used their set for something pretty special.

With Backspacer, and the newer more radio friendly image this album brought, I think organizers and the band could make it work if each party wanted it. In other words going forward, I don't think the reason organizers won't chose PJ is because they are thought of as a risk.

All I ask is that we don't see Boom's tit come flying out in a 'wardrobe malfuntion'.

• Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    Pearl jam and the superbowl..it will never happen. How relevant is Pj's music to your avergae NFL fan? or what percentage of the NFL fan base would even care Pj were playing? none I'd reckon. Plus the halftime show is a big record company thing as someone else sais. hankfully you will never see Pj play it, it's for meatheads.

Superbowl is shown on American sattelite channels but it's arrogant in the extreme to think anyone outside the US who isn't a US citizen cares about it at all. We really don't.
  • Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    jimed14 wrote:
    I'd be surprised if the Superbowl gets a tenth of the worldwide viewership as any knockout round, World Cup match.

I just read that last year's Super Bowl had a record 94 million viewers...the final game of the 2006 World Cup had 715 million viewers!
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:

All I ask is that we don't see Boom's tit come flying out in a 'wardrobe malfuntion'.

:lol::lol: I think I might watch it just for that. ;):D
  • Options
    eldarion75 wrote:
    Pearl jam and the superbowl..it will never happen. How relevant is Pj's music to your avergae NFL fan? or what percentage of the NFL fan base would even care Pj were playing? none I'd reckon. Plus the halftime show is a big record company thing as someone else sais. hankfully you will never see Pj play it, it's for meatheads.

Superbowl is shown on American sattelite channels but it's arrogant in the extreme to think anyone outside the US who isn't a US citizen cares about it at all. We really don't.

thank you. that is what I was trying to say too.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    youngster wrote:
    . Maybe the music industry lobbyists are paying the NFL to book older bands to play the SB so the record industry can make more money on compilations and greatest hits from these artists.
    no its cause of the whole boob thing with janet jackeson and timberlake a few years ago. thats why the nfl is booking older more clean cut artist. u2, bruce springsteen, the who. they are "wholesome" and the average person knows those artist songs. i wouldn't be surprised to see more country artist in the coming years.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?