Leash - whats the story??

neurosis32neurosis32 Posts: 15
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
This is no doubt an often asked question and one that every PJ fan should know, but sorry i don't!!

What is the story with Leash and why don't PJ play it live anymore? I have only picked up on this story on the message boards regarding the Astoria show and also watching the webcast of the letterman show where one of David Lettermans cue cards read Pearl Jam will not be playing Leash tonight!

So if someone could help me on this or point me to some info about it I would be most grateful as its been bugging me a while!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    No one knows for sure why they don't play Leash. They didn't play Why Go from 1996 up until 2003, but it eventually came back (to name but one example). People speculate that they outgrew the song. Maybe Ed doesn't want to scream about parental oppression anymore ... Maybe they just think the song isn't very good. I think its now become a bit of a game for the band. People keep harassing them to play it, so now they are playing along and withholding the goods. Who knows? Maybe they actually will play it ... Maybe not this tour.

This one and WMA are probably the last holdout songs that they still don't play ... WMA as a Daughter tag doesn't count.
  • waves roll inwaves roll in Posts: 159
    I want to hear both Leash and WMA very bad again. For some reason I have a feeling they are going to bust out WMA before Leash. I don't know why but I believe they are going to bust WMA out this tour but not Leash.
  • neurosis32neurosis32 Posts: 15
    Thanks for the info, i thought maybe there was more to it as there are so many fans calling for the song, i assumed there must be a big story attached
  • the lyrics are very simple.... kinda amateur writing, imo. but it's still a damn catchy song. i'm willing to bet it's eddie's call and he doesn't like the lyrics these days
  • rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    I do like the music, quite a bit ... Raw and rocking.
    The lyrics are kinda deplorable, though. :)

I'd sooner hear WMA, or even something from Riot Act that hasn't been played recently.
  • mahlonimahloni Posts: 9
    the lyrics are very simple.... kinda amateur writing, imo. but it's still a damn catchy song. i'm willing to bet it's eddie's call and he doesn't like the lyrics these days

Why not? They keep playing "You Are".

/me ducks...

Mahlon
  • HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 4,468
    hearing rats was better than leash
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    hearing rats was better than leash

Definitely!
    Leash is pretty rockin' in terms of music, but the lyrics kinda suck. I just get the feeling that Ed would feel stupid singing it these days. Feel free to correct me, but it's the only PJ song that reference being young:

"Delight in your youth".

It's kinda like The Who singing My Generation still after all these years. As much as i like the song, hearing Roger Daltrey sing "hope i die before i get old" makes me laugh.

Just my 2 cents...
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    It's kinda like The Who singing My Generation still after all these years. As much as i like the song, hearing Roger Daltrey sing "hope i die before i get old" makes me laugh.

1/2 of the Who DID die before they got old.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    Milestone wrote:
    1/2 of the Who DID die before they got old.

Cheap shot!
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."