Pink Floyd

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited June 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I don't know what it is about Pink Floyd but I can't get into them. Almost everyone I know loves Pink Floyd and they tell me to listen to "Dark Side Of The Moon" and I have listened to that album numerous times and I just can't get into them. I had a 10 hour drive from Ontario to Massachusetts and I popped in Pink Floyd to try and force myself to like them but I just can't get into them. Right after Pink Floyd I popped in Led Zeppelin and I absolutely love Zeppelin. I can't get enough of Zeppelin. Every song rocks. Jimmy Page is a genius. I listened to 2 whole Led Zeppelin albums in a row and I just love every song.
Pink Floyd on the other hand I just don't see the big deal. Don't get me wrong....I really like a few songs, David Gilmore is an amazing guitar player and the other band members are really talented and amazing at what they do but I've tried over and over again and they're just not for me. I seem to be alone when talking about Pink Floyd because all my music buddies and all the guys I work with love them. Am I alone here or do you guys feel the same. I probably shouldn't compare Pink Floyd to Led Zeppelin but Led Zeppelin in my opinion is a way, way better band!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I love Floyd, and have for as long as I can remember. Some of their stuff is a little overdone (like half of "The Wall") but overall, their compositions and melodies are amazing. It's like orchestral music for rock band. Objectively, I'd say that Gilmour is twice the guitar player that Jimmy Page is, and I frickin' love Zeppelin. The Led is definitely more straight-up rock, and Floyd is much more atmospheric... kind of like a precursor to Radiohead, Sigur Ros, etc.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Never been a fan of Pin Floyd. I can stand it of course, but it never sparked me.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • HebejebeHebejebe Posts: 108
    I love Floyd but you like what you like. Everybody has bands that no matter how much other people tell them are great you just can't get into.

I for instance cannot get into Muse and Arcade Fire. No matter how much I read about how amazing they are every time I listen I feel nothing.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Depends on the album.
    I really don't listen to The Wall much, though it has a few amazing songs.

I would like to say you are alone in a howling waste for not loving DSOTM, but I know my wife is there with you.
    That said, she has the musical taste of a hyena.
    As for "Wish You Were Here", it's a masterpiece.
    I don't know what else to say. There is room in this world for all sorts of opinions, but I am at a loss to explain why any guitar player does not love Floyd. It's like a fish not "getting" water.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Next time you have a road trip, pop in "Animals" and if that doesn't hook you, it's a lost cause.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Jam10 wrote:
    I don't know what it is about Pink Floyd but I can't get into them. Almost everyone I know loves Pink Floyd and they tell me to listen to "Dark Side Of The Moon" and I have listened to that album numerous times and I just can't get into them. I had a 10 hour drive from Ontario to Massachusetts and I popped in Pink Floyd to try and force myself to like them but I just can't get into them. Right after Pink Floyd I popped in Led Zeppelin and I absolutely love Zeppelin. I can't get enough of Zeppelin. Every song rocks. Jimmy Page is a genius. I listened to 2 whole Led Zeppelin albums in a row and I just love every song.
    Pink Floyd on the other hand I just don't see the big deal. Don't get me wrong....I really like a few songs, David Gilmore is an amazing guitar player and the other band members are really talented and amazing at what they do but I've tried over and over again and they're just not for me. I seem to be alone when talking about Pink Floyd because all my music buddies and all the guys I work with love them. Am I alone here or do you guys feel the same. I probably shouldn't compare Pink Floyd to Led Zeppelin but Led Zeppelin in my opinion is a way, way better band!

I guess like anything, it's always going to come down to personal choice and we're all different which is a good thing, because how boring it would be if we weren't. I don't have a preference over either, i love them both. Massive Jimmy page fan, and i can also put on comfortably numb, and i can easily think it has some of the greatest riffs we will ever hear.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Suncoast, FL Posts: 1,224
    If anything just listen to Gilmour's melody voicing’s and lead work - nice.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    I can't get into the Beatles, for the life of me. They got some catchy stuff but I'm not a big fan.
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    i got into pink floyd the way everyone does - when i started smoking pot as a teenager!

i started out loving led zep, nirvana, pearl jam, STP, soungarden - basically anything that "rocked"

then when i started smoking "jazz cigarettes", if you will, i started getting into pink floyd, bob dylan, the grateful dead, and phish........no coincidence!

i don't do that anymore, but if you say you don't like pink floyd i am assuming you don't take any form of "psychedelics"

and i'm not saying that's a bad thing!!!
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I can't get into the Beatles, for the life of me. They got some catchy stuff but I'm not a big fan.

Blasphemer!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.

Me neither, but there is no comparison.
  • a riff.
    Myspace.com/vedder_78

Austin, TX 1995
    Dallas, TX 1998
    Woodlands, TX 2000
    Woodlands, TX 2000
    Dallas, TX 2000
    Seattle, WA 2002
    Dallas, TX 2003
    San Francisco, CA 2006
    Chicago, IL 2007 (VIC)
    Santa Barbara, CA 2008 (Ed.Ved.)
    Hartford, CT 2008
    Mansfield, MA 2008 #1
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    David Gilmour is definitely amazing but the band as a whole just don't do it for me. I'm sure over time they might grow on me but bands like Pearl Jam , Led Zeppelin, Alice In Chains, GNR, Nirvana and U2 just to name a few I've loved since the first time I heard them. I just find Pink Floyd to be really different but weird different but I guess that's a good thing .
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Jam10 wrote:
    David Gilmour is definitely amazing but the band as a whole just don't do it for me. I'm sure over time they might grow on me but bands like Pearl Jam , Led Zeppelin, Alice In Chains, GNR, Nirvana and U2 just to name a few I've loved since the first time I heard them. I just find Pink Floyd to be really different but weird different but I guess that's a good thing .
    You defintley need to 'get' them, but once you do, it's magical (even without pot!). Honestly, I got into them when I saw Australian Pink Floyd play DSOTM in it's entirety. Wow.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    Me neither, but there is no comparison.
    Beach Boys
  • paddypaddy Posts: 104
    Hahahahaha. This thread gives me ze lulz. Floyd kick every band to touch. I mean, even mentioning Pj, Nirvana, U2 et al in the same breath is almost criminal. As for Led zeppelin, they stole every major riff they ever "wrote" from other artists. Hence the title they got from other major artists at the time "The Thieving Magpies".

If you can't appreciate sheer creative genius such as Waters/Gilmour, forget about it. You suck.
    Hello, is there anybody in there?
    paddy wrote:
    Hahahahaha. This thread gives me ze lulz. Floyd kick every band to touch. I mean, even mentioning Pj, Nirvana, U2 et al in the same breath is almost criminal. As for Led zeppelin, they stole every major riff they ever "wrote" from other artists. Hence the title they got from other major artists at the time "The Thieving Magpies".

If you can't appreciate sheer creative genius such as Waters/Gilmour, forget about it. You suck.
    Opinions are like assholes because everybody has one. Sometimes they are offensive to other people. Sometimes people don't like them. Sometimes they stink like hell. But sometimes they can bring people closer together.

Differences of opinion are ok, personal attacks are not.
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    Opinions are like assholes because everybody has one. Sometimes they are offensive to other people. Sometimes people don't like them. Sometimes they stink like hell. But sometimes they can bring people closer together.

Differences of opinion are ok, personal attacks are not.
    It's not a personal attack, merely an observation.
    And if you don't like it, report it. meh.
    paddy wrote:
    And if you don't like it, report it. meh.
    I don't report people. Grow up. Feel free to tell people as much as you like that they suck because the don't like pink floyd. I do not give a fuck anymore.
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    I don't report people. Grow up. Feel free to tell people as much as you like that they suck because the don't like pink floyd. I do not give a fuck anymore.
    But you gave a fuck enough to post in the first place. Don't you believe in your convictions?
    paddy wrote:
    But you gave a fuck enough to post in the first place. Don't you believe in your convictions?
    i spoke out, because two of the people who said they couldn't get into Floyd are two respected members of the M & G forum and i can assure you they don't suck. we respect each others opinions in here and don't revert to personal attacks and insinuate that their opinions suck.

i do believe in my own convictions, absolutely, but i also realize this is a message board and i really have better things to do than argue back and forth with someone ok? can we just agree to disagree then and just drop this? i've said my peace and you have said yours. it's a message board right. feel free to say whatever you like. i don't have a problem with anything anyone says until they cross the line and say 'If you can't appreciate sheer creative genius such as Waters/Gilmour, forget about it. You suck.' Whatever else you said was fine, because it was your opinion.

Thanks.
    Beach Boys

I don't mind the Beach Boys. I'm hardly an authority, but what I've heard I liked. Sure, it's feel good music, but that's OK. I like music to make me feel good, and their harmonies etc are lovely to listen to.
    On thread, Jam10, if you don't dig Floyd, that's cool, but if you are interested, see if you can scrag the DSOTM songbook, and play a few of the songs yourself. You will find that they are actually just beautiful, simple tunes, played with consumate skill.
    Yes, there were a lot of effects used on the albums, sampling, and lots of use of what was cutting edge technology at the time, with weird sounds, and synths etc.
    Or watch the Pulse DVD. It makes a lot of sense as music when you see it being played as songs, rather than seeming to be random noise and words.

Paddy, this is a nice sand-pit. If you are bored, go crap in some-one else's. PJ gurl is respected here, you won't win any friends dumping on her, just a place on the "ignore" list. It's the only button that gets pushed around here by that kind of attitude.
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    I think Pink Floyd has some of the greatest songs ever and some of the most thought out lyrics ever. but I do get where you're coming from. I would not classify them as one of my alltime favorites and I can put my finger on it, at least where my opinion of them is concerned......

1. too many of their songs start out with, to me, worthless crap. there's too much theatrics thrown in like soundclips from obscure movies and tv shows. I'm sure it means something to them, but I don't care to listen to 2 full minutes of tv soundbites or white noise or synthesizers before a song actually gets started. the band Tool is the exact same way.

and

2. some of their songs are too drawn out. like the song "Mother". such a great song. but there's just too much strumming in between vocal lines to the point that, imo, it needlessy drags on.

on the sheer greatness of their songs, I can't deny. like the aforementioned "Mother", or "Comfortably Numb", or "Wish You Were Here", or "Brain Damage"....songs that still have so much relevance today. but I definitely have to be in the mood to listen to Pink Floyd. it's not music that I can just pop in and listen to any time.

now, The Doors......there's a band that I fucking cannot stand at all. It's seems like I'm the only person on earth that missed the boat on that one. I can honestly say that there's not one song by them that I like.
  • stylo17stylo17 Posts: 1,001
    you should try listening to the album called "Animals"

it's fantastic, but if you don't like that one, then maybe PF isn't the band for you.
    6/11/08 WPB

♬♪♫ and I will not, grow tired of crayon stars and fire

♬♪♫ cause a soldier's death is so much better than defeat just hanging around
    I don't mind the Beach Boys. I'm hardly an authority, but what I've heard I liked. Sure, it's feel good music, but that's OK. I like music to make me feel good, and their harmonies etc are lovely to listen to.
    On thread, Jam10, if you don't dig Floyd, that's cool, but if you are interested, see if you can scrag the DSOTM songbook, and play a few of the songs yourself. You will find that they are actually just beautiful, simple tunes, played with consumate skill.
    Yes, there were a lot of effects used on the albums, sampling, and lots of use of what was cutting edge technology at the time, with weird sounds, and synths etc.
    Or watch the Pulse DVD. It makes a lot of sense as music when you see it being played as songs, rather than seeming to be random noise and words.

Paddy, this is a nice sand-pit. If you are bored, go crap in some-one else's. PJ gurl is respected here, you won't win any friends dumping on her, just a place on the "ignore" list. It's the only button that gets pushed around here by that kind of attitude.
    As far as I can see I didn't dump on her, she started on me. All the same, I'll crap where I feel like, but thanks for the advice. My life is now more fulfilled.
  • Wish you were here album played loud as hell on vinyl.... just amazing
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Thanks Pj_Gurl for your nice comments, I really appreciate it.
    I am going to listen to Pink Floyd a little more and see what I really think of their music and maybe then I won't suck!! LOL
    I definitely think that Pearl Jam and Led Zeppelin are better bands then Floyd are.
  • IGotShit76IGotShit76 Posts: 768
    I'm a big Pink Floyd fan but I can understand some people have difficulties with their music. Some ot their stuff is really experimental, they made many extra-long songs (Echoes, Atom Heart Mother, Dogs, Sheep ...).
    But hey have a unique sound ... and Gilmour tone is awesome.
    Give a try to albums like Animals, Wish You Were Here and my advice would be to listen to them with good headphones in the dark !!!
    Keep the Ummagumma studio album for later ... that one is kind of .... different :)
  • jessejesse Posts: 170
    i agree that animals is an amazing album but i dont think its the best way to introduce someone to the band it only has 5 songs two of which are practically the same that go for less than a minute and a half each the other three go for more than 10 mintutes with dogs going for around 17 or something. animals is now definately my favourite floyd album but it did take a while to get used to. i suggest if your struggling to get into the floyd buy echoes (the best of) listen to it and find out for yourself what type of pink floyd music suits you best