Jerry Cantrell

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited October 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
What do you guys think of Jerry Cantrell's guitar playing. I think he is absolutely fantastic. I love his feel. Alice in Chains Unplugged is a must have for any music lover.
Is Jerry mostly a pentatonic player like Mike?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Nice to see some Jerry around here

I love the little solo bits in Would? and the solo bits in Them Bones are just amazing!

That MTV unplugged show is brililant, however they say its uncut and it is actually cut and you dont hear layne saying the funny "hey fuck you man" on it, but you hear it on the cd :D

he's a fucking monster.
  • Jam10 wrote:
    What do you guys think of Jerry Cantrell's guitar playing. I think he is absolutely fantastic. I love his feel. Alice in Chains Unplugged is a must have for any music lover.
    Is Jerry mostly a pentatonic player like Mike?
    He's awesome AND he sings a LOT on AIC stuff. I think he's playing on "Alone" with PJ-if it's really them. (I think most of us know what I'm talking about).
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • He's awesome AND he sings a LOT on AIC stuff. I think he's playing on "Alone" with PJ-if it's really them. (I think most of us know what I'm talking about).

That's not Pearl Jam, that's Downface.
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • I used to like him but, since Alice in Chains did a tour last year, it's hard to respect him anymore.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    jcmark611 wrote:
    I used to like him but, since Alice in Chains did a tour last year, it's hard to respect him anymore.

did he melt someones felt with a solo?
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    he has a great voice and a great playing style. big fan of alice in chains (layne period)

i rate their unplugged performance as brilliant as PJ's and Nirvanas was

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Where's the love for Jerry Cantrell???
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Jam10 wrote:
    Where's the love for Jerry Cantrell???

i love me some Cantrell. Boggy Depot anyone?
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    the wolf wrote:
    i love me some Cantrell. Boggy Depot anyone?
    great album. . .love that song on the cable guy soundtrack as well. . .his second album was a little disappointing to me
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
    great album. . .love that song on the cable guy soundtrack as well. . .his second album was a little disappointing to me

yeah, the second album was a bit disappointing to me as well. then i put it on my ipod just a few weeks ago and gave it a few listens, and liked it much better. still not as strong as Boggy though.
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • ballgameballgame Posts: 201
    not a fan of AIC coming back without Layne. I loved JC solo work but I guess it doesnt draw like the name AIC
    ballgame wrote:
    not a fan of AIC coming back without Layne. I loved JC solo work but I guess it doesnt draw like the name AIC

i kinda feel the same way, but ya know, it was his band too. and he wrote like 80% of the songs. so in a way i feel he should continue if thats what he wants to do.
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • thecorythecory Posts: 290
    Pappas wrote:

i rate their unplugged performance as brilliant as PJ's and Nirvanas was
    well.. imho alice in chains' unplugged is one of the three or four best in the show's history. pj's isn't close to that.
  • thecory wrote:
    well.. imho alice in chains' unplugged is one of the three or four best in the show's history. pj's isn't close to that.
    I wouldn't say it isn't close but the AIC show was nothing short of amazing, when I heard it for the first time. Nirvana's is my favorite, though
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Suncoast, FL Posts: 1,224
    Yeah, Jerry Cantrell is a decent guitarist . . .
    I liked Alice In Chains fine - great influence - I disagree about the unplugged show being
    'one of the best shows in history' (that's kind of naive) but I always thought that they were
    a great band - was sad to hear about Lane Staley's overdose (heroine sucks). I couldn't
    believe that he'd been dead for several days before they found him in his house (uhhhh).
    Sadly he was only my age when he died. (On a side note), Mad Season was a killer album.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Mad Season was a killer album.
    Absolutely agree. Easily Mike's best tone ever in my opinion.
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    agree wtih the mad season comments. i listen to it almost everyday. have their live at the moor on dvd as well love it

river of deceit is a sensational song, and i actually rate it better than inside job

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Pappas wrote:
    agree wtih the mad season comments. i listen to it almost everyday. have their live at the moor on dvd as well love it

river of deceit is a sensational song, and i actually rate it better than inside job
    The cleans on river of deceit were out of this world. Absolutely beautiful.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Thanks to this thread I'm listening to I'm above and Artificial Red this morning. Thanks.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,329
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Thanks to this thread I'm listening to I'm above and Artificial Red this morning. Thanks.

There was 2 threads yesterday about Mad Season in "Other Music". I actually went out, bought the CD again, and have been listening to it the last day non stop.

The crunch on I Don't Know Anything is awesome.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
    yeah, it's a really good album - I have like 3-copies.
    I also really like Mikes tone in STILLWATER.
  • j-bugj-bug Posts: 272
    i had to order Above from Europe cos for some reason its been deleated here and i've been waiting 3 weeks for it now....*sigh*
    Seek,
    Find be yourself.
    Don't follow the herd.
    Don't repeat in spite of the encores.
    Be yourself.
    Otherwise you'll bore us.
  • RhynoRhyno Posts: 304
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Mad Season was a killer album.

Love this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR9FDIaP4fE
    Cheers!
    Rhyno

11/30/1991 ~ 3/25/92 ~ 8/28/92 ~ 6/30/98 ~ 10/8/2000 ~ 6/18/2003 ~ 6/21/2003 ~ 6/26/2006 ~ 6/27/2006 ~ 7/7/2006 ~ 8/5/2007 ~ 6/24/2008 ~ ALPINE VALLEY in '09 ;-)
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    WOW I just watched a live performance of River of Deceit and it just gives me chills everytime I hear that song. Absolutely brilliance!
    I agree with Mikes clean tone. It is awesome. I love his tone.
  • PJamGrunge10PJamGrunge10 California Posts: 594
    I saw Alice in Chains play last November and Jerry was basically flawless throughout. I was quite impressed... with the whole band actually.
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
    Jam10 wrote:
    WOW I just watched a live performance of River of Deceit and it just gives me chills everytime I hear that song. Absolutely brilliance!
    I agree with Mikes clean tone. It is awesome. I love his tone.
    I think his clean tone on the album is better than the live show at the Moore.
    Is it me or is Mike dragging a little bit in the beginning.
  • mark armmark arm Posts: 962
    he's ok
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/28/05 - Porto Alegre, BR
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • ladygooddivaladygooddiva Posts: 4,169
    i think i want to start bass again but no clue what to buy
    in that case i am really at the beginning ..and i allways lend bass
    so now i want my own
  • i think i want to start bass again but no clue what to buy
    in that case i am really at the beginning ..and i allways lend bass
    so now i want my own
    Call me old-fashioned but what relevance does this have to this thread?

Oh, and Cantrell is awesome.
  • ladygooddivaladygooddiva Posts: 4,169
    well sorry i wanted to do a new post but it ernds there sorry